D&D: Honor Among Thieves

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: D&D: Honor Among Thieves

Post by Lord Revan »

Dass.Kapital wrote: 2023-04-09 10:04pm About the dagger.

Are 'Critical hits' still a thing in 5E?

Also, "Called Shot" affairs? Do items like the classic 'Vorpal sword' still take beings' heads off in one swipe?

Basically, I took away that it was (A) A unique/super weapon of DOOM and (B) Other than going into her head, an actual 'Shot to the heart' seems pretty close to a vorpal 'Take the head off' shot.

Everything after that is "Heroic death speech" territory, no?

It's a good movie, though.

Cheers.
Crit hits were a thing last I check, so on a Nat 20 (or nat 20 or 19 with some traits) you double the damage die, though I'm not sure would it just be the base dagger damage here or also the necro damage and Sofina being a mage a nat 20 is pretty much the only way she could hit a barbarian.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Unless the dagger was enchanted to ignore armor, making it a touch attack. Combine that with a high melee enchantment bonus on the dagger, and a high level curse or poison or similar, it would explain why Red Wizard Blades have such a deadly reputation.

+5 Brilliant Energy Dagger that inflicts Horrid Wilting on a successful hit (Caster level 20, Fort Save DC 25) would be absolutely devastating (and totally inline with Red Wizards of Thay mentality). Armor couldn't stop it.

That would be 1d4+5+20d6(or 10d6 on a save), and since Horrid Wilting is instantaneous in effect, any attempt to treat it like a poison or a curse would be useless. That's enough with 2 - 3 stabs to kill just about anything not immune to necromancy or with high Spell Resistance.

You'd have to either have alot of hit points and a cleric around to cast Heal on you, or your funeral pre-arranged.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I saw the stats only on a vid on YT as I don't have a DnD beyond account.

This is the text from the vid
Red Wizard Blade
weapon(dagger), Legendary

Forged by the Red Wizards using secret process known only to them. This grim steel dagger draws its powers from Negative Plane. When you hit a creature with a melee attack using this magic dagger, the target takes an extra 3d12 necrotic damage.

A creature reduced to 0 hit points by this weapon dies and can't be raised from the dead except by a deity or by a creature using a tablet of reawekening to cast the True Resurrection spell.
There isn't any indication of additional enchants beyond what is stated in the text.

here's a link to the vid in case you want to check it yourself
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Saw the movie today.

YES IT WAS EVERYTHING I WANTED IT TO BE AND MORE.

"But we granted you the PARDON!"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I really loved how working through failure was such a fundamental theme. It captured something about the essence of tabletop games.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Adam Reynolds wrote: 2023-04-20 04:56pm I really loved how working through failure was such a fundamental theme. It captured something about the essence of tabletop games.
Working through failure.
That's a great way to put that.

Now -- I'm going back over the last fight with the Red Wizardess in my head, and I cannot remember WHEN the Barbarian got stabbed!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-04-20 06:03pm
Adam Reynolds wrote: 2023-04-20 04:56pm I really loved how working through failure was such a fundamental theme. It captured something about the essence of tabletop games.
Working through failure.
That's a great way to put that.

Now -- I'm going back over the last fight with the Red Wizardess in my head, and I cannot remember WHEN the Barbarian got stabbed!
I suspect that's intentional.