Ms. Marvel

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Ms. Marvel

Post by Steve »

Having seen the first episode, I can say that I am enjoying it, the actress is capturing the spirit of the character but doing her own thing with Kamala, and the change in how her power works is something I can accept.

Just have to make five more episodes with them fucking it up.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ms. Marvel

Post by Crazedwraith »

it's a marvel studio's production of marvel comic's ms marvel created by marvel!

I like the first episode. I think it took a bit too long to get going and rushed a little to a conclusion. But interested in where they go with it.

The change away from Inhumans, I get and I actually think the powers is an interesting mystery for the series. Did her grandma have superpowers? Do the powers come from the gauntlet or just activate ones Kamala always have? If she takes it off does she still have powers? Obviously 5 more episodes to explore it.

I love they kept her love for Captain Marvel (very hard to do a Ms Marvel adaption without that but the screams of anti-larson fanboys are loud)and her biased rendition of the battle of Earth was hilarious.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-06-08 03:39pm The change away from Inhumans, I get and I actually think the powers is an interesting mystery for the series. Did her grandma have superpowers? Do the powers come from the gauntlet or just activate ones Kamala always have? If she takes it off does she still have powers? Obviously 5 more episodes to explore it.
I suspect the big driver of Kamala's powers being different from the comics is how difficult it is to make stretchy people look good in live action, and especially when they're doing things slowly. (even animated you need to go fast to look good. See: Monkey D Luffy)

It seems like she;s ended up with the MCU version of the Nega Bands.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Vendetta wrote: 2022-06-10 10:24pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-06-08 03:39pm The change away from Inhumans, I get and I actually think the powers is an interesting mystery for the series. Did her grandma have superpowers? Do the powers come from the gauntlet or just activate ones Kamala always have? If she takes it off does she still have powers? Obviously 5 more episodes to explore it.
I suspect the big driver of Kamala's powers being different from the comics is how difficult it is to make stretchy people look good in live action, and especially when they're doing things slowly. (even animated you need to go fast to look good. See: Monkey D Luffy)

It seems like she;s ended up with the MCU version of the Nega Bands.
Yeah stretching is one of those things that can look really cartoony and unnatural really easy due to how far it is from how human body normally works.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I did really enjoy the second episode as well. I like the amount of friendship scenes we're getting between Kamala and Nakia. The feminine products scene is good and something that should be normalised.

I feel sorry for Bruno who is obviously surprised and very threatened by Kamala's crush on Kamran.

As a brit the scene talking about their family history and the partition was sobering and the mystery of their family past and how it relates to the bangle is very interesting. That she keeps seeing someone kind of reminds me of [=WandaVision=] and Wanda seeing her future self when experimented on by Hydra.

And finally the imperfect heroes scene and subsequent damage control trying to bring her in where great. I love Kamala's sudden burst in confidence when the necessity to ''really'' act occurs, she runs out on her constructs and does her absolute best for the kid and when it goes slightly wrong, she tears up at the result.

She remains very likable both in civilian and hero modes.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I guess I'm the only one still watching?

I thought Episode 3 was a step down: It covered a lot of ground very fast. Like the whole arc with the villains appearing good and then being evil could have been the whole season. It's sad that one knock seems to take all the heroing out of Kamala. I'd hoped for more active street level heroics.

The wedding scenes are all pretty nice but I didn't think we needed the mother/daughter and father/son scenes right after each other as nice as they were individually.

The Sheikh seems to have figured out Kamala's identity, she was rather obvious. She asks a third person question about "Night Light" and he responds with a 2nd person response to here. It's not necessarily that he knows but it seems likely.

And the fight scene was ended by Damage Control right out of nowhere, it's seem implausible they arrested all the baddies and missed Kamala and Bruno.

Nakia finding out is interesting, especially as Kamala was clearly trying to tell her earlier but didn't manage it and now she feels all betrayed.

All in all it's not bad but definitely the weakest yet hope the pay off is worth rushing through the set up like this.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'm still watching, just have nothing to say ATM.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Everything since episode 2 has been so rushed. Kamala isn't even in half of this episode which is spent on an extended flashback to shit we'd already been told with a twist that was obvious from the moment Kamala went back in time.

The cast is perfect the first two episodes were great. If they'd stuck to teenage muslim hero starting out and trying to emulate her heroes and wondering she can live up to the legends it would have been great. Instead we've wasted so much time on her new origins, connection to some random D list nobodies and a world is at stake plot that they rushed massively.

And next week I assume Kamran is going off the deep end so they can have a standard climactic mirror match powers fight.

Just so much wasted potential given the casting and styling is on point.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The final episode returns to the stylings of the first two and are much better for it. Kamala reconciles with her family and then works on helping Kamran escape damage control.

So Kamran does go off the deep end when he realises what's happened to his mother but it's less a mirror match powers fight, then him going crazy on Damage control and Kamala trying to save everyone from his powers. I didn't quite buy him going crazy or how she talked him down but I'm happy they did go with her talking him down and still saving him.

So the scene with all the local new jersey residents swarming into protect kamala and friends from damage control even the police and then Deever being called off by a very pissed off Cleary. I've seen complaint it's rather too kind to law enforcement and implies it's only a few ad eggs sort of deal but i like it. It's like people saying it's immoral to watch Brooklyn 99. They're idealised cops, it's fiction, that's okay to me. If the cops are better than reality it should be a spur to reality to change.

Kamala's interactions with her family, the one on one scenes with her Mum and Dad were perfection and very touching.

The final cameo, well I was suprised and saddened Kamala didn't actually meet Carol but the look on Carol's face was pretty hilarious and it works as a promo for The Marvels I guess. Really want to know where Kamala ended up.

Overall the series was fine. But the new origins and all it entails in regards to the ClanDestine and her family history and the trip to Pakistan just feels incredibly uncessary and rushed. The plot points of the Clan being nice and friendly and Kamala feeling kinship with them on to be betrayed. The opening of the rift and there changing in heart was material for a whole season. Instead they did in like 3 episodes at most. And half of one of those was kamala-less flashback.

The core of Kamala just being a hero, learning her powers, doing street level stuff in New Jersey, that was where the show really shined and I wished they done more of. The crowd coming to aid their hero really would feel more earned if she'd done more than two heroic things. One of which was fixing a problem she caused and then the other one being less than perfectly done.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

My wife and I finally got around to it and just finished the show.

We loved it. Shoutout to not holding back on the horrors of British imperialism, and the flashbacks always saying "British Occupied India" as opposed to British India, British Raj, or whatever term people like to use.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Just saw the last episode- Brie Larson making a cameo was a given, though I'm not sure what just happened when she appeared in the post-credits scene. Thing with bangles though, is that like gloves, they come in pairs :wink:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-08-12 05:19pm Just saw the last episode- Brie Larson making a cameo was a given, though I'm not sure what just happened when she appeared in the post-credits scene. Thing with bangles though, is that like gloves, they come in pairs :wink:
She and Kamala seem to have swapped places. Which given Carol hangs out in space a lot is really bad news for Kamala.

She and Monica Rambeau from WandaVision are both appearing with Carol in The Marvels which presumably will follow up on the stinger.

Given Monica knows and now seems to dislike Carol whereas Kamala adores but does not known Carol, there's a lot of interesting potential there for interactions.