Thor: Love and Thunder | Official Teaser

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Thor: Love and Thunder | Official Teaser

Post by Gandalf »

Darth Yan wrote: 2022-10-19 12:30am I remember them outlining that or at least implying it.
Where?
The Russos said that Captain America used the Pym particles to travel back to the main reality from the branch he created. I believe the wiki takes a similar interpretation. It's the one that makes sense with the rules ergo it's what I go with.
The Russos said Captain America lived in a "branch dimension," so it's inherently possible that he created and lived in one before returning the last stone. It would preserve the timeline as the Ancient One outlined it. The interview portion I found doesn't mention Pym particles or any methodology, so I can only assume you found a better one.

At the same time, McFeely and Markus wrote that Captain America is living in the main timeline, just in the background of everything else going on. That's way more consistent with what is happening in the film.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-10-20 08:52pm
Darth Yan wrote: 2022-10-19 12:30am I remember them outlining that or at least implying it.
Where?
The Russos said that Captain America used the Pym particles to travel back to the main reality from the branch he created. I believe the wiki takes a similar interpretation. It's the one that makes sense with the rules ergo it's what I go with.
The Russos said Captain America lived in a "branch dimension," so it's inherently possible that he created and lived in one before returning the last stone. It would preserve the timeline as the Ancient One outlined it. The interview portion I found doesn't mention Pym particles or any methodology, so I can only assume you found a better one.

At the same time, McFeely and Markus wrote that Captain America is living in the main timeline, just in the background of everything else going on. That's way more consistent with what is happening in the film.
McFeely and Markus's interpretations violates their own rules of time travel so not really. They lay out very clearly that a branch reality is created whenever time travel occurs. Ergo it must be inferred that the Quantum Realm does have the power to go to different universes as well as the past.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Darth Yan wrote: 2022-10-20 11:25pm McFeely and Markus's interpretations violates their own rules of time travel so not really. They lay out very clearly that a branch reality is created whenever time travel occurs. Ergo it must be inferred that the Quantum Realm does have the power to go to different universes as well as the past.
Again... where do they "lay out very clearly" that this is happening?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Darth Yan wrote: 2022-10-20 11:25pm McFeely and Markus's interpretations violates their own rules of time travel so not really. They lay out very clearly that a branch reality is created whenever time travel occurs. Ergo it must be inferred that the Quantum Realm does have the power to go to different universes as well as the past.
While I agree with the idea Cap was in an alternate timeline. The movie does not establish anything "very clearly".

What I guess you're thinking about is this line:
Avengers: Endgame wrote: The Ancient One: The Infinity stones create what you experience as the flow of time. Remove one stone and that flow splits. Now, this may benefit your reality but my new one, not so much. In this new branched reality, without our chief weapon against the forces of darkness, our world will be over run. Millions will suffer. So, tell me Doctor, can your science prevent all that?

Bruce Banner: No, but we can erase it. Because once we are done with the stones, we can return each one to it's own time line at the moment it was taken. So, chronologically, in that reality, they never left.
Which does deal with the creation of new timelines but also arguably links it to the removal of Infinity Stones, not any time travel in general. Plus if any time travel created AUs they could pull their get it back trick because they end up with one AU where they returned and one where they didn't.

Again I think it's the best theory but I don't think the movie is consistent enough to say that there aren't a lot of possible theories from the evidence.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If anyone had the self-control to live so low-profile his time-traveling doesn't affect the events of a timeline that would be Cap.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-10-21 05:35am If anyone had the self-control to live so low-profile his time-traveling doesn't affect the events of a timeline that would be Cap.
At that point, it's all he really wanted.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-10-20 11:48pm
Again... where do they "lay out very clearly" that this is happening?
It's in the same conversation where Ant Man says "so Back to the Future is a load of bullshit?" or something like that. But Nebula and a few others describe the process and the rules and make it very clear that's why killing Thanos as a baby won't work like War Machine suggests.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Looked up the transcript here.
Endgame wrote: RHODEY: Wai-Wait a second, let me ask you something. If we can do this, you know, go back in time, why don't we just find baby Thanos, you know, and... [he makes a hand gesture suggesting that they strangle baby Thanos with a rope.]

BRUCE BANNER: [Disgusted] First of all, that's horrible...

RHODEY: [In a tone that says it's what we're all thinking.] It's Thanos.

BRUCE BANNER: ...And secondly, time doesn't work that way. Changing the past doesn't change the future.

SCOTT LANG: Look, we go back, we get the stones before Thanos gets them... Thanos doesn't have the stones. Problem solved.

CLINT BARTON: Bingo.

NEBULA: That's not how it works.

CLINT BARTON: Well, that's what I heard.

BRUCE BANNER: What? By who? Who told you that?

[snip comedy routine/List of time travel films]

RHODEY: This is known.

BRUCE BANNER: I don't know why everyone believes that, but that isn't true. Think about it: If you travel to the past, that past becomes your future. And your former present becomes the past. Which can't now be changed by your new future...

NEBULA: Exactly.

SCOTT LANG: So... Back To The Future's a bunch of bullshit?
(Emphasis mine). There's nothing in there about creating new timelines. Just the bald fact that changing the past doesn't change the future. It's the ancient one who talk about branch timelines as I quoted above.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

That's one of the things that I quite liked about the use of time travel in the film. As soon as you put it into the plot, the obvious question is about using the new power to prevent the events of the previous film. Instead the film just goes "nope, doesn't work like that" and goes off in its own merry direction.
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-10-21 10:59am
Broomstick wrote: 2022-10-21 05:35am If anyone had the self-control to live so low-profile his time-traveling doesn't affect the events of a timeline that would be Cap.
It's not a film Marvel would make, but you could do a sweet little fish out of water comedy with Rogers readjusting to life back in the forties, domestic life, and postwar America. It's his home, but he misses so many of the future's creature comforts.

- George Carlin
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

That works just as fine as if it was an alternate dimension that branched off.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-10-23 02:30am
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-10-21 10:59am
It's not a film Marvel would make, but you could do a sweet little fish out of water comedy with Rogers readjusting to life back in the forties, domestic life, and postwar America. It's his home, but he misses so many of the future's creature comforts.
There's probably also things like the casual racism and general bigotry in the 1940s that cap might have hard time adjusting to I mean he's always shown to be a rather tolerant fellow, but in the 21st century such tolerance wouldn't be looked at weirdly while in 1940s people would think at best a bit odd for wanting treat other races, creeds and sexualities with anything resembling equality, at worst they'd think you a dangerous radical.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Lord Revan wrote: 2022-10-24 02:14am
Gandalf wrote: 2022-10-23 02:30am
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-10-21 10:59am At that point, it's all he really wanted.
There's probably also things like the casual racism and general bigotry in the 1940s that cap might have hard time adjusting to I mean he's always shown to be a rather tolerant fellow, but in the 21st century such tolerance wouldn't be looked at weirdly while in 1940s people would think at best a bit odd for wanting treat other races, creeds and sexualities with anything resembling equality, at worst they'd think you a dangerous radical.
This clip from Winter Soldier sums things up with what Cap thinks of the present.
And while it's been linked to before, this is still appropriate: