The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Which Star Trek Crew would do best in LOTR?

TOS Crew
0
No votes
TNG Crew
8
89%
DS9 Crew
1
11%
Voy Crew
0
No votes
ENT Crew
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 9

User avatar
Tribble
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2718
Joined: 2008-11-18 11:28am
Location: stardestroyer.net

The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by Tribble » 2019-07-16 10:58pm

Inspired by my typo...

During the Council of Elrond we learn that the One Ring must be sent to Mount Doom to be destroyed. However, in these scenarios it's decided (for reasons) that Gandalf will lead a very different fellowship to the one we know.

Scenario 1:TOS
Kirk
Spock
McCoy
Scotty
Sulu
Chekov
Uhura
Nurse Chapel (seeing as she appears the most outside of main characters)

Scenario 2: TNG
Picard
Riker
Data - with emotion chip, though it can be turned off
Worf
Crusher
Troy
La Forge
Wesley

Scenario 3: DS9
The Sisko
Kira
Odo -> cannot strike off on his own and use his shapeshifting abilities (like flying) to destroy the Ring. That'd be too easy :P
Jadzia Dax
Bashir
O'Brien
Quark
Garak

Scenario 4: Voyager
Janeway
Chakotay
Tuvok
Torres
Paris
Harry
Seven of Nine
Neelix

Scenario 5: ENT

Archer
T'Pol
Phlox
Mayweather
Hoshi
Trip
Reed
Thy'lek Shran - out of main characters, figured why not
I was going to include Porthos since Archer actually risked his entire ship and crew over his dog getting sick, but I've decided to be generous :P


Like the Fellowship in the Books, each crew has around a season of prep time (including learning about Middle-Earth) before setting off and are outfitted by the elves.


Debating whether or not giving them standard away-team equipment (phaser, tricorder, Comm badge) in addition to what the Elves give them.


Anyways, led by Gandalf, each team sets out to destroy the Ring. Assume that the original Fellowship members didn't join the Council and remained in the homelands.

How would things pan out? Which one would you think would do the best? The Worst? Would any of them even make it?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage

bilateralrope
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4215
Joined: 2005-06-25 06:50pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by bilateralrope » 2019-07-17 01:17am

Does carrying the ring violate the treaty the Federation signed against using cloaking devices ?

User avatar
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 7499
Joined: 2002-10-30 06:40pm
Location: In a dark reflection of a better world

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by FaxModem1 » 2019-07-17 01:19am

Why does the Voyager crew not include the Doctor?
Image

User avatar
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Posts: 1225
Joined: 2009-11-08 02:36pm
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by Highlord Laan » 2019-07-17 05:21am

Are we allowed to throw Wesley into the volcano along with the ring?
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.

User avatar
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard
Posts: 15247
Joined: 2002-09-16 11:13pm
Location: A video store in Australia

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by Gandalf » 2019-07-17 05:56am

I'm curious to know how much the magic of ME would affect Data, or devices like Geordi's VISOR. Could Data just throw an Elven cloak on and run to Moint Doom?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin

User avatar
Tribble
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2718
Joined: 2008-11-18 11:28am
Location: stardestroyer.net

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by Tribble » 2019-07-17 07:01am

bilateralrope wrote:
2019-07-17 01:17am
Does carrying the ring violate the treaty the Federation signed against using cloaking devices ?
Since the purpose of the mission is to destroy the Ring and prevent anyone from using it, I would say no.
FaxModem1 wrote:Are we allowed to throw Wesley into the volcano along with the ring?


If characters sucumb to the temptation of the Ring and Wesley becomes an obstacle (or if Wesley himself succumbs like Frodo) then yes, he may suffer from a trip to the volcano. :P
FaxModem1 wrote:Why does the Voyager crew not include the Doctor?
Personal preference, though you may sub out Tuvok, Torres, Paris, Seven or Harry for the Doctor if you think that would improve the team. You may also sub Kes for Seven, if you wish. Sorry though - Janeway, Chakotay and Neelix are staying. :P
Gandalf wrote:I'm curious to know how much the magic of ME would affect Data, or devices like Geordi's VISOR.
I would say that ME magic is in full effect for all characters. Data would be relatively immune to the Ring if his emotion chip is off, though perhaps not entirely (he does exhibit other behaviour like curiosity and sulking which the Ring may be able to exploit over time.)

I'd say that Geordi's VISOR could be modified to see through the Ring of Power Cloaks... though the impact of that might not be that great.
Gandalf wrote:Could Data just throw an Elven cloak on and run to Mount Doom?
Theoretically, though he would not know the layout of the land beyond what he was verbally told / maps, and some things would not be told to him (like the secret path to Cirith Ungol). Also, the Elven cloak is not equivalent to a Ring of Power in terms of effectiveness - it might help hide him given he has enough time to prepare, but he would not be invisible. And Data is not immune to stabbing weapons; there is an episode where he gets run through with a spear (can't remember the name).

So Data could theoretically do it single-handed, but it might not be the best option.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage

User avatar
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard
Posts: 15247
Joined: 2002-09-16 11:13pm
Location: A video store in Australia

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by Gandalf » 2019-07-17 07:46am

Tribble wrote:
2019-07-17 07:01am
Theoretically, though he would not know the layout of the land beyond what he was verbally told / maps, and some things would not be told to him (like the secret path to Cirith Ungol). Also, the Elven cloak is not equivalent to a Ring of Power in terms of effectiveness - it might help hide him given he has enough time to prepare, but he would not be invisible. And Data is not immune to stabbing weapons; there is an episode where he gets run through with a spear (can't remember the name).

So Data could theoretically do it single-handed, but it might not be the best option.
Data doesn't need to be immune to stabbing weapons or anything. He just needs to keep his bearings and run like the clappers, and in a worst case scenario ask for directions. Once you get close enough, Mount Doom sticks out like a sore thumb.

Also, the Elven cloak isn't for invisibility, but just to be a little bit safer, so maybe some scout doesn't see him in the distance.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19316
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-07-17 07:53am

Tribble wrote:
2019-07-16 10:58pm
Inspired by my typo...

During the Council of Elrond we learn that the One Ring must be sent to Mount Doom to be destroyed. However, in these scenarios it's decided (for reasons) that Gandalf will lead a very different fellowship to the one we know.

Scenario 1:TOS
Kirk
Spock
McCoy
Scotty
Sulu
Chekov
Uhura
Nurse Chapel (seeing as she appears the most outside of main characters)
They'd do okay with everything except the most important thing, which is resisting the Ring. Even Spoke's logic wouldn't save him- there is a lot of repressed rage in Spock, as in most Vulcans.

Kirk and Spock would end up fighting over the Ring.
Scenario 2: TNG
Picard
Riker
Data - with emotion chip, though it can be turned off
Worf
Crusher
Troy
La Forge
Wesley
This team does the best, I think. Worf would handle the ancient warrior aspects of the setting well. Troi will see through Sauron's spies (though it might not be good for her sanity to mind read a Nazgul- hmm, I wonder if she could sense the Ring's presence). Picard can handle the diplomacy. Geordie and data might have problems if their tech. broke down, since they wouldn't be able to get repairs, but Data would be an ideal Ring carrier, I think. This is the only team that I give better than five or ten percent odds of success to.
Scenario 3: DS9
The Sisko
Kira
Odo -> cannot strike off on his own and use his shapeshifting abilities (like flying) to destroy the Ring. That'd be too easy :P
Jadzia Dax
Bashir
O'Brien
Quark
Garak
I wouldn't give the Ring to Odo anyway. It would appeal way too easily to the authoritarian streak in his character.

Quark steals the Ring, Odo kills him and takes it from him, and Garak somehow kills Odo and becomes Obsidian Order Overlord of Middle Earth, Sisko, Kira, and Worf lead the resistance against the Dark Lord Garak.
Scenario 4: Voyager
Janeway
Chakotay
Tuvok
Torres
Paris
Harry
Seven of Nine
Neelix
No one here I'd trust to ultimately resist the Ring's enchantment. Seven is the most formidable, so she probably gets in. In place of a Dark Lord we will have a queen, not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! All shall love her and despair!
Scenario 5: ENT

Archer
T'Pol
Phlox
Mayweather
Hoshi
Trip
Reed
Thy'lek Shran - out of main characters, figured why not
I was going to include Porthos since Archer actually risked his entire ship and crew over his dog getting sick, but I've decided to be generous :P
I think it goes without saying that Team Clusterfuck loses. The Ring gets in Archer's head in ten seconds flat, and he ends up fighting T'Pol and Shran for it.
Like the Fellowship in the Books, each crew has around a season of prep time (including learning about Middle-Earth) before setting off and are outfitted by the elves.


Debating whether or not giving them standard away-team equipment (phaser, tricorder, Comm badge) in addition to what the Elves give them.
If they have the standard gear, they will be able to cut through anything short of maybe a Nazgul or a dragon or balrog. And even a Nazgul they'd probably only have trouble with due to the paralyzing effect of the fear aura.
Anyways, led by Gandalf, each team sets out to destroy the Ring. Assume that the original Fellowship members didn't join the Council and remained in the homelands.

How would things pan out? Which one would you think would do the best? The Worst? Would any of them even make it?
That would beg the question of how the Ring got to Rivendell in the first place, if Frodo didn't take it there. But yeah, the only team I think can make it is Team TNG.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"Trump admirers like @TuckerCarlson describe themselves as "nationalist." But their nationalism attaches not to the multiracial American nation... but to a multinational white race with a capital in Moscow"-David Frum

bilateralrope
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4215
Joined: 2005-06-25 06:50pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by bilateralrope » 2019-07-17 08:45am

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-07-17 07:53am
If they have the standard gear, they will be able to cut through anything short of maybe a Nazgul or a dragon or balrog. And even a Nazgul they'd probably only have trouble with due to the paralyzing effect of the fear aura.
Until they run out of power. How long will the power supplies for various bits of tech (including Data) last ?

Especially when I expect that they will try to destroy the ring with phasers. First by shooting it at full power. Then maybe by heating up some rocks to lava temperatures.

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19316
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-07-17 08:46am

bilateralrope wrote:
2019-07-17 08:45am
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-07-17 07:53am
If they have the standard gear, they will be able to cut through anything short of maybe a Nazgul or a dragon or balrog. And even a Nazgul they'd probably only have trouble with due to the paralyzing effect of the fear aura.
Until they run out of power. How long will the power supplies for various bits of tech (including Data) last ?

Especially when I expect that they will try to destroy the ring with phasers. First by shooting it at full power. Then maybe by heating up some rocks to lava temperatures.
Hmm, I wonder if its ever mentioned how long their gear can typically work without a power-up or repair.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"Trump admirers like @TuckerCarlson describe themselves as "nationalist." But their nationalism attaches not to the multiracial American nation... but to a multinational white race with a capital in Moscow"-David Frum

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19316
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-07-17 09:14am

Its a pity they don't get the ship. They could just beam the Ring into Mount Doom (unless the magic around it blocks transporters), and launch a photon torpedo strike on the dark tower.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"Trump admirers like @TuckerCarlson describe themselves as "nationalist." But their nationalism attaches not to the multiracial American nation... but to a multinational white race with a capital in Moscow"-David Frum

User avatar
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3269
Joined: 2002-12-22 11:35am
Location: Upstate New York

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by NeoGoomba » 2019-07-17 09:43am

I think the TNG group has the best shot because of Data, but that emotion chip makes him a massive liability if he doesn't shut it off asap (since I'm just going to go with the whole Ring can utilize emotions). But with Data things get interesting as yes, he can literally just run from Rivendell to Mordor, but there are a lot of nifty questions.

Just how fast can he go? And for how long? Can he still be run down by a horse?

What effect would a Morgul blade do if a Nazgul can somehow shank him before getting mega-punched back into the void? The blades are supposed to be semi-sentient or enchanted or some mess, designed to fragment and splinter upon contact with their victims and penetrate their heart. How badly (if at all) would a little metal filament (or five) scooting around inside him damage him?

Like, it would be a massive bummer if they give Data the Ring and then he immediately gets Vision'ed in their first encounter with the Nazgul because he doesn't deem their blades a threat and they end up really fucking him over.

If he tears off solo, due to the state of Middle Earth, I think he is going to find a whole lot of doors slammed in his face based off of his appearance alone. Men will fear him, Elves will suspect him, and Dwarves, upon learning he is a construct, would be dying to see his insides lol.

Regardless, even if they succeed, Middle Earth is completely fucked without Gandalf and Aragorn uniting the kingdoms. Sauron might be cast down, but Saruman would probably still be a threat, Rohan and Gondor get wrecked, and the Shire is toast.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19316
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-07-17 09:47am

NeoGoomba wrote:
2019-07-17 09:43am
I think the TNG group has the best shot because of Data, but that emotion chip makes him a massive liability if he doesn't shut it off asap (since I'm just going to go with the whole Ring can utilize emotions). But with Data things get interesting as yes, he can literally just run from Rivendell to Mordor, but there are a lot of nifty questions.

Just how fast can he go? And for how long? Can he still be run down by a horse?

What effect would a Morgul blade do if a Nazgul can somehow shank him before getting mega-punched back into the void? The blades are supposed to be semi-sentient or enchanted or some mess, designed to fragment and splinter upon contact with their victims and penetrate their heart. How badly (if at all) would a little metal filament (or five) scooting around inside him damage him?

Like, it would be a massive bummer if they give Data the Ring and then he immediately gets Vision'ed in their first encounter with the Nazgul because he doesn't deem their blades a threat and they end up really fucking him over.

If he tears off solo, due to the state of Middle Earth, I think he is going to find a whole lot of doors slammed in his face based off of his appearance alone. Men will fear him, Elves will suspect him, and Dwarves, upon learning he is a construct, would be dying to see his insides lol.

Regardless, even if they succeed, Middle Earth is completely fucked without Gandalf and Aragorn uniting the kingdoms. Sauron might be cast down, but Saruman would probably still be a threat, Rohan and Gondor get wrecked, and the Shire is toast.
If he's not needed to guard the Ring, Aragorn would most likely go straight to Minas Tirith and get to work fighting Sauron's forces early.

Picard is also an able diplomat, so he can help with coalition-building.

Edit: Rohan might get smashed by Saruman, but Gandalf tends to show up where he's needed most, so he'll probably go there and try to rally resistance.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"Trump admirers like @TuckerCarlson describe themselves as "nationalist." But their nationalism attaches not to the multiracial American nation... but to a multinational white race with a capital in Moscow"-David Frum

bilateralrope
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4215
Joined: 2005-06-25 06:50pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by bilateralrope » 2019-07-17 09:54am

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-07-17 09:14am
Its a pity they don't get the ship. They could just beam the Ring into Mount Doom (unless the magic around it blocks transporters), and launch a photon torpedo strike on the dark tower.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Rings magic means it can't be transported. Or maybe Sauron's influence is fucking with transporters across all of Middle Earth. Which would explain their involvement in a pre-warp civilization: They beamed down to investigate something strange and found themselves trapped until the Ring is destroyed.

User avatar
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3269
Joined: 2002-12-22 11:35am
Location: Upstate New York

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by NeoGoomba » 2019-07-17 09:57am

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-07-17 09:47am

If he's not needed to guard the Ring, Aragorn would most likely go straight to Minas Tirith and get to work fighting Sauron's forces early.
That might not go over well in the city, actually. With Boromir there under his father's thumb, I wonder what would happen if Aragorn showed up and tried to press his claim? Boromir only came to accept and respect Aragorn after traveling with him, and would view him with extreme suspicion. His father would probably just scoff, and would then spill the beans to Sauron that Aragorn was there.

Saruman will still remain a threat, as no hobbits means no rousing of the Ents. By that point, and I think by his own admission, if Treebeard found, say, Geordi or Crusher in the woods he would just stomp on them and go about his way. Rohan will be ether destroyed or isolated by the time the Battle of the Pelenor happens, so no cavalry charge to disrupt Sauron's forces.

Aragorn might still go enlist the Dead, and might be forced to hold onto their service for longer than just one battle. Which then makes for a cool scenario where Aragorn might have to have a contest of wills with the Witch King if the Nazgul tries to wrest control of the ghosts away.
Picard is also an able diplomat, so he can help with coalition-building.
He most certainly is. But he is an outsider. Gandalf was the known entity in the world, and so people listened. Basically Data needs to fucking fly to Mount Doom to trash the Ring, and then act as a one-android wrecking ball assaulting the rear of Sauron's forces to try and save Gondor from rampaging Orcs and Mordor's allies.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19316
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-07-17 10:04am

NeoGoomba wrote:
2019-07-17 09:57am
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-07-17 09:47am

If he's not needed to guard the Ring, Aragorn would most likely go straight to Minas Tirith and get to work fighting Sauron's forces early.
That might not go over well in the city, actually. With Boromir there under his father's thumb, I wonder what would happen if Aragorn showed up and tried to press his claim? Boromir only came to accept and respect Aragorn after traveling with him, and would view him with extreme suspicion. His father would probably just scoff, and would then spill the beans to Sauron that Aragorn was there.
Aragorn probably wouldn't press his claim until Sauron was defeated, but his mere presence will cause tensions, especially with Denethor alive. A Gondorian civil war is not impossible, though if it happens, Denethor will be the instigator, not Aragorn.

On the other hand, Denethor might be more reasonable if they get to him earlier, before Sauron has broken him.
Saruman will still remain a threat, as no hobbits means no rousing of the Ents. By that point, and I think by his own admission, if Treebeard found, say, Geordi or Crusher in the woods he would just stomp on them and go about his way. Rohan will be ether destroyed or isolated by the time the Battle of the Pelenor happens, so no cavalry charge to disrupt Sauron's forces.
Perhaps a Picard speech can sway the Ents? :)
Aragorn might still go enlist the Dead, and might be forced to hold onto their service for longer than just one battle. Which then makes for a cool scenario where Aragorn might have to have a contest of wills with the Witch King if the Nazgul tries to wrest control of the ghosts away.
Hmm, that would be interesting.
He most certainly is. But he is an outsider. Gandalf was the known entity in the world, and so people listened. Basically Data needs to fucking fly to Mount Doom to trash the Ring, and then act as a one-android wrecking ball assaulting the rear of Sauron's forces to try and save Gondor from rampaging Orcs and Mordor's allies.
Even Data at his most high-end performances isn't going to be able to take all the hosts of Mordor. The Witch King at full power might have spells that could destroy him (he broke the gate of Minas Tirith), and enough trolls or a lucky stamp from an Oliphaunt could probably crush him. He'd go down like one of those legendary heroes in the Silmarilion, slaying hundreds of Sauron's troops (maybe housands if he has a phaser with a wide-beam setting), but he'd go down.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"Trump admirers like @TuckerCarlson describe themselves as "nationalist." But their nationalism attaches not to the multiracial American nation... but to a multinational white race with a capital in Moscow"-David Frum

User avatar
Solauren
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 8259
Joined: 2003-05-11 09:41pm

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by Solauren » 2019-07-17 05:19pm

The only qualification I've seen about Data's speed is that he can maintain top level sprinter speed indefinitely.

So thats 100meters in 9.58 seconds. Let's figure 10 meters per second for that. That's roughy 36 km per hour. Horses average 40 to 48 km per hour.

Data's power source is never really recharged besides 'continiously recharge'.

My thoughts are a combination of full spectrum EM solar power (i.e the ambient light and heat of the Enterprise/local environment), a small nuclear cell (hey, if Skynet can come up with 150 year power cells....), or similiar, and possible chemical power from eating.

So, if they gave the ring to data, and he could ignore it's effects, and Data can go continously, that means he could move about 864 kilometers PER DAY. Nothing living could keep up with him. He could just Run the ring all the way the Mordor, and then start scouting around for a way to get it to Mt. Doom safely.


Now, big question. Could the One Ring stand up to 9 - 10 Phasers at full power?
\

User avatar
SpottedKitty
Jedi Knight
Posts: 983
Joined: 2014-08-22 08:24pm
Location: UK

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by SpottedKitty » 2019-07-17 07:16pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-07-17 07:53am
Kirk and Spock would end up fighting over the Ring.
Don't forget to play That Music™ during the scene... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19316
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-07-17 07:41pm

SpottedKitty wrote:
2019-07-17 07:16pm
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-07-17 07:53am
Kirk and Spock would end up fighting over the Ring.
Don't forget to play That Music™ during the scene... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Naturally.

I honestly think that's the best piece of music the franchise ever came up with, save maybe the Wrath of Kahn theme.

Also, Shatner playing "Man under the thrall of the One Ring" would be gloriously hammy. :D
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"Trump admirers like @TuckerCarlson describe themselves as "nationalist." But their nationalism attaches not to the multiracial American nation... but to a multinational white race with a capital in Moscow"-David Frum

User avatar
Tribble
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2718
Joined: 2008-11-18 11:28am
Location: stardestroyer.net

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by Tribble » 2019-07-17 09:15pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-07-17 08:46am
bilateralrope wrote:
2019-07-17 08:45am
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-07-17 07:53am
If they have the standard gear, they will be able to cut through anything short of maybe a Nazgul or a dragon or balrog. And even a Nazgul they'd probably only have trouble with due to the paralyzing effect of the fear aura.
Until they run out of power. How long will the power supplies for various bits of tech (including Data) last ?

Especially when I expect that they will try to destroy the ring with phasers. First by shooting it at full power. Then maybe by heating up some rocks to lava temperatures.
Hmm, I wonder if its ever mentioned how long their gear can typically work without a power-up or repair.
Not so much on the screen, but the TNG tech manual gives us an idea for TNG-era communicators and tricorders:

Communicators - 2 weeks of normal operations, range 500km (without starship). Presumably "normal" operations include being constantly hooked into a starships communications systems, so this could probably be extended quite a bit.

Tricorder: 18 hours of full instrument activity. Again, presumably this could be rationed quite a bit, like only using passive scanners.

No such luck with hand=phasers, unfortunately. We do know they need to be charged eventually, but I can't think of an instance in TNG where someone kept shooting a fully charged one until it was depleted. IIRC there was a TOS episode where it was mentioned that a handful of phasers were depleted after killing a few hundred people, so I imagine that's roughly what a phaser can do. Maybe a couple of hundred kill level shots, more if using stun, less if using higher setting like vaporizing?

Soluaren wrote:The only qualification I've seen about Data's speed is that he can maintain top level sprinter speed indefinitely.

So thats 100meters in 9.58 seconds. Let's figure 10 meters per second for that. That's roughy 36 km per hour. Horses average 40 to 48 km per hour.

Data's power source is never really recharged besides 'continiously recharge'.

My thoughts are a combination of full spectrum EM solar power (i.e the ambient light and heat of the Enterprise/local environment), a small nuclear cell (hey, if Skynet can come up with 150 year power cells....), or similiar, and possible chemical power from eating.

So, if they gave the ring to data, and he could ignore it's effects, and Data can go continously, that means he could move about 864 kilometers PER DAY. Nothing living could keep up with him. He could just Run the ring all the way the Mordor, and then start scouting around for a way to get it to Mt. Doom safely.
I think it's plausible that Data could make it to Mordor on his own (barring an unfortunate encounter with a Nazgul on a Fell Beast or a Balrog or Shelob)… as to successfully breaking into Mordor, crossing the plains and going up into Mount Doom without being detected or stopped, I have my doubts. Sauron is building up his army in Mordor at this time, and until they leave the odds are pretty high he's going to be spotted and attacked at some point. I doubt even he could make it all the way on his own, especially once things like Trolls and the Nazgul enter the fray.

Solauren wrote:Now, big question. Could the One Ring stand up to 9 - 10 Phasers at full power?
I'm going to rule that due to magic and/or a Technowhatsitfield, the One Ring can still only be destroyed in Mount Doom.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage

User avatar
Tribble
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2718
Joined: 2008-11-18 11:28am
Location: stardestroyer.net

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by Tribble » 2019-07-17 09:30pm

I take it most people so far feel the odds of the TOS crew, the Voyager crew and (especially) the ENT crew are pretty low, though someone did give the DS9 crew the best chance.

How would The Sisko do it? Or at least, which of them would end up winning the RIng for themselves? I imagine Odo could be a force to be reckoned with if he takes the Ring given his shapeshifting abilities, which are arguably at least equal to if not superior to Sauron.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage

User avatar
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Posts: 1225
Joined: 2009-11-08 02:36pm
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by Highlord Laan » 2019-07-17 10:09pm

The Sisko being the ring bearer would turn the story into a hilarious montage of memetic badassery. He's already punched one god in the mouth, Sauron will make it two.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.

User avatar
Tribble
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2718
Joined: 2008-11-18 11:28am
Location: stardestroyer.net

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by Tribble » 2019-07-18 08:11am

Highlord Laan wrote:
2019-07-17 10:09pm
The Sisko being the ring bearer would turn the story into a hilarious montage of memetic badassery. He's already punched one god in the mouth, Sauron will make it two.
Plus a Nazgul or two of course.

He might even take Gandalf’s place on the bridge in Moria; after all it wouldn’t be the first time The Sisko threw himself and his opponent to the fiery depths of hell!
The Romulan Republic wrote:I think it goes without saying that Team Clusterfuck loses. The Ring gets in Archer's head in ten seconds flat, and he ends up fighting T'Pol and Shran for it.
Hmmm, I agree that the ENT crew needs a bonus to remain competitive. I take back what I said earlier -Archer would literally piss on the Two Trees of Valinor if they messed with his dog, so why not have Sauron kidnap Porthos and hold him hostage? Or Eru forbid, kill him? Plus it turns out the Mouth of Sauron is a Vulcan.

It’s sad but I think that would be more than enough motivation for Archer to resist the Ring’s influence and improve their odds, wouldn’t you agree?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage

User avatar
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3269
Joined: 2002-12-22 11:35am
Location: Upstate New York

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by NeoGoomba » 2019-07-18 09:22am

All I can do is hear Sisko's wrathful "THIS ISN'T OVER BETWEEN US!" bellow at Eddington and think, holy shit the Ring would claim him in a heartbeat.

Now, due to his Bajoran Maiar (just roll with me here) lineage, I would say that Sisko is some distant relation to Tulkas himself, and would just fucking glare Sauron into submission like Eonwe did. And this time, The Sisko drags Sauron back to Valinor to be thrown in that door beyond time or whatever the fuck with Morgoth and the rest of the Pah Wraiths.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19316
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: The Fellowship of the Starfleet Crews

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-07-18 04:22pm

Tribble wrote:
2019-07-17 09:30pm
I take it most people so far feel the odds of the TOS crew, the Voyager crew and (especially) the ENT crew are pretty low, though someone did give the DS9 crew the best chance.

How would The Sisko do it? Or at least, which of them would end up winning the RIng for themselves? I imagine Odo could be a force to be reckoned with if he takes the Ring given his shapeshifting abilities, which are arguably at least equal to if not superior to Sauron.
I still stand by my Dark Lord Garak theory, though Dark Lord Sisko or Odo is a possibility. The Ring would be able to tempt all of them- its just a question of who gets to it first.

My bet is Quark tries to pinch it, Odo catches him and, influenced by the Ring, murders him, the others fight Odo, and one of them (probably Sisko or Garak) then emerges as the new Ring Lord.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"Trump admirers like @TuckerCarlson describe themselves as "nationalist." But their nationalism attaches not to the multiracial American nation... but to a multinational white race with a capital in Moscow"-David Frum

Post Reply