Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Post Reply
User avatar
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 7478
Joined: 2002-10-30 06:40pm
Location: In a dark reflection of a better world

Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by FaxModem1 » 2019-07-06 05:50pm

It's October 1962, and the US discovers that the Soviet Union is supplying nuclear missiles to Cuba, prompting a rising of tensions between nations. How would Superman react to the two superpowers coming to the brink of nuclear war?

Essentially, what happens if the people under Superman's care appear to be destroying themselves, does he intervene, or does Superman sits on the sidelines and hopes for the best? If he does intervene, what action would Superman take?
Image

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19176
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-07-06 09:16pm

FaxModem1 wrote:
2019-07-06 05:50pm
It's October 1962, and the US discovers that the Soviet Union is supplying nuclear missiles to Cuba, prompting a rising of tensions between nations. How would Superman react to the two superpowers coming to the brink of nuclear war?

Essentially, what happens if the people under Superman's care appear to be destroying themselves, does he intervene, or does Superman sits on the sidelines and hopes for the best? If he does intervene, what action would Superman take?
No way Superman sits out the potential destruction of human civilization. I expect he'd try to appeal to the better natures of the leaders of both sides. Failing that, I suspect he'd mostly side with the US (he is an American citizen, after all), but would probably try to intercept any nukes, especially ones aimed for civilian targets. Whether he'd be able to solo stop a full exchange would depend on which version of Superman we're using.

Of course, if the CMC took place in the DC Universe, ten to one there'd be a supervillain behind it for him to thwart and conveniently save the day.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver: https://youtube.com/watch?v=zxT8CM8XntA

User avatar
Solauren
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 8251
Joined: 2003-05-11 09:41pm

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by Solauren » 2019-07-06 09:27pm

Wasn't Superman shrugging off nuclear blasts (and worse) in the 1960s?

He'd intervene. I can see him going the 'quest for peace' route, and forcing disarmament.
\

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19176
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-07-06 09:49pm

Solauren wrote:
2019-07-06 09:27pm
Wasn't Superman shrugging off nuclear blasts (and worse) in the 1960s?

He'd intervene. I can see him going the 'quest for peace' route, and forcing disarmament.
Depending on circumstances and outcome, I could see him going the Justice Lords route, and deciding he needs to rule the humans for their own good.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver: https://youtube.com/watch?v=zxT8CM8XntA

User avatar
Solauren
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 8251
Joined: 2003-05-11 09:41pm

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by Solauren » 2019-07-07 11:33am

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-07-06 09:49pm
Solauren wrote:
2019-07-06 09:27pm
Wasn't Superman shrugging off nuclear blasts (and worse) in the 1960s?

He'd intervene. I can see him going the 'quest for peace' route, and forcing disarmament.
Depending on circumstances and outcome, I could see him going the Justice Lords route, and deciding he needs to rule the humans for their own good.
That really only works if he has help. Not even Superman can be multiple places at once.
\

User avatar
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15500
Joined: 2002-07-09 04:51am
Location: 'Very' mildly hopeful now DC recognized taking Clark's red trunks away was a bad idea
Contact:

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by Batman » 2019-07-07 02:31pm

Actually Silver Age Superman was so freaking fast and powerful he probably could have solo'd this.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'

Marko Dash
Jedi Knight
Posts: 661
Joined: 2006-01-29 03:42am
Location: south carolina, USA
Contact:

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by Marko Dash » 2019-07-10 01:52am

park himself on a beach chair in maimi and yell "pull".
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?

User avatar
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2614
Joined: 2005-03-13 06:52am
Location: South Australia

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by GuppyShark » 2019-07-12 06:57pm

Superman would respect the sovereignty of the nations involved and not directly intervene unless hostilities broke out, although he would make media appearances etc advocating a peaceful diplomatic resolution (and also in print under Clark Kent). There is always armed conflict going on, somewhere in the world, and since he hasn't enforced global peace through violence in non-elseworlds scenarios there's no real reason to imagine this incident would be a tipping point.

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19176
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-07-12 10:13pm

GuppyShark wrote:
2019-07-12 06:57pm
Superman would respect the sovereignty of the nations involved and not directly intervene unless hostilities broke out, although he would make media appearances etc advocating a peaceful diplomatic resolution (and also in print under Clark Kent). There is always armed conflict going on, somewhere in the world, and since he hasn't enforced global peace through violence in non-elseworlds scenarios there's no real reason to imagine this incident would be a tipping point.
Aside from the fact that this conflict might completely destroy global civilization?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver: https://youtube.com/watch?v=zxT8CM8XntA

User avatar
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15500
Joined: 2002-07-09 04:51am
Location: 'Very' mildly hopeful now DC recognized taking Clark's red trunks away was a bad idea
Contact:

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by Batman » 2019-07-12 10:28pm

It won't be the tipping point until missiles actually start flying. Once they DO he's bare bones minimum going to stop the missiles and might very well decide this is it-mankind is too bloody stupid to fend for themselves (and looking at the world we live in I'm hard pressed to disagree with him)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19176
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-07-12 11:00pm

Batman wrote:
2019-07-12 10:28pm
It won't be the tipping point until missiles actually start flying. Once they DO he's bare bones minimum going to stop the missiles and might very well decide this is it-mankind is too bloody stupid to fend for themselves (and looking at the world we live in I'm hard pressed to disagree with him)
Well, a competent corrupt businessman/mobster with raging egomania becoming President made him go Justice Lord in the DCAU. One can only shudder to imagine his response to Trump. :wink:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver: https://youtube.com/watch?v=zxT8CM8XntA

User avatar
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2614
Joined: 2005-03-13 06:52am
Location: South Australia

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by GuppyShark » 2019-07-13 04:06am

Superman represents and believes in hope and a better future, he's not a paternalistic jackboot ready to beat some sense into us.

If Clark was going to take over the world because the monkeys (apologies to Gorilla City) are too stupid to look after it he would have done it earlier than the Cuban Missile Crisis.

User avatar
EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2472
Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Location: High orbit

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2019-07-15 05:20pm

This is basically X-Men: First Class set in the DC Universe, with some elements of Watchmen thrown in, all that's missing is the DC eqivalent of Sebastian Shaw.
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

User avatar
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard
Posts: 15224
Joined: 2002-09-16 11:13pm
Location: A video store in Australia

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by Gandalf » 2019-07-15 05:38pm

GuppyShark wrote:
2019-07-13 04:06am
Superman represents and believes in hope and a better future, he's not a paternalistic jackboot ready to beat some sense into us.

If Clark was going to take over the world because the monkeys (apologies to Gorilla City) are too stupid to look after it he would have done it earlier than the Cuban Missile Crisis.
But as Red Son showed, he can be that paternalistic ruler of humanity in his well meaning way.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin

User avatar
Solauren
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 8251
Joined: 2003-05-11 09:41pm

Re: Superman reacts to the Cuban Missile Crisis (RAR)

Post by Solauren » 2019-07-15 07:29pm

Red Son had him raised to be the successful to Stallion (Heavily implied) once his powers were known, and he saw it as his duty.
\

Post Reply