And the new Batman is...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And the new Batman is...

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Robert Pattinson, at least if you believe the rumours.

https://www.newsweek.com/one-these-actr ... an-1429643
The rumored cat is out of the bag. Robert Pattinson is reportedly in the final round of negotiations to don the Dark Knight’s cape and cowl and become the next Batman. That same rumor mill is claiming that R-Battz could be facing off against a very familiar feline foe.

Catwoman — along with fellow A-list villians Penguin and the Riddler — may yet again get some big screen time, having already been notably portrayed in Batman movies by Michelle Pfeiffer and Anne Hathaway (and not so notably by Halle Berry in a non-Batman film that is better left un-discussed).

While Warner Bros. has yet to announce the actors who’ll possibly portray these villains, we have some favorites we’d like to see play Batman’s frisky frenemy Catwoman in the film.

Kristen Stewart

Though she'd been acting in movies since she was a tween, Stewart gained worldwide stardom playing Pattinson’s love interest in the Twilight series, so it’s fitting that their on-screen romance would return for his first blockbuster role since the sparkly vampire series concluded.

Fans certainly want it. More importantly, Stewart already has Catwoman’s vibe down pat, demonstrating the femme fatale sex appeal that so important to the character's connection with Batman. You can see that vibe on full display in this year’s upcoming Charlie's Angels film, a franchise that’s famously centered on three kickass women. Stewart plays the lead angel, Sabina Wilson.

Eliza Dushku

The actress first portrayed a cunning Catwoman-like role in the late 1990s, as Faith on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Since then she’s only grown become more capable of playing Batman’s favorite burglar. In fact, Dushku has already played Catwoman — twice! — and without having to don a catsuit. Both portrayals were attached to the 2011 DC Animated Film, Batman: Year One. She played Catwoman in the actual film and in an animated short attached to the movie. She killed the role both times, so surely that would translate to a live-action setting.

Betty Gilpin

Gilpin has been making a name for herself in the last few years as put-upon housewife turned professional wrestler Debbie Eagan on Netflix's, GLOW, where she not only shows off the agility needed for Catwoman but is often called upon to display conflicting emotions about her actions — and is absolutely amazing at doing so!

There’s a certain emotional duality she brings to the table that would be incredible for somebody like Catwoman.

Ana de Armas

The actress wowed audiences when she played the third lead in the neo-noir film, Blade Runner 2049. She held her own against acting heavyweights like Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling. If Matt Reeves’ Batman film is going to focus more on the character’s detective side then this Cuban-born actress already has ample experience in a detective setting. Surely she’d be able to hold her own against Pattinson’s Dark Knight.

Morena Baccarin

Baccarin has already played a comic book movie femme fatale, twice starring as Veronica in the Deadpool series. Being the new Selina Kyle would be absolutely perfect for her.

She’s fairly familiar with the genre, having played multiple superhero-related roles over the years. Most recently she portrayed Dr. Leslie Thompkins on Gotham, but Baccarin’s resumé also includes the supercomputer, Gideon on CW’s The Flash, Talia al Ghul in the DC animated film universe, Black Canary in Justice League Unlimited, and Cheetah in Batman Brave and the Bold.
The film is also being rumoured to take a page out of the second Burton film's book, featuring both Catwoman and Penguin, as well as possibly Riddler.

Now, I have no problem with this in and of itself, even if the mess of the DCCU has largely tainted any further films in that continuity, and I don't trust DC not to just wallow in endless gratuitous grimdark (and misogyny). Going for some still iconic but less-used than the Joker villains isn't a bad idea, and Pattison deserves better than to have Twilight forever held against him. But I'll honestly be a bit surprised if DC goes through with it, because most fans (or at least the most vocal, whiney fans) WILL define him by Twilight, and the screams of entitled fan rage are already beginning.

Of the Catwoman choices the article discusses, and of those I'm familiar with (Baccarin, Dushku, and Stewart), I think Baccarin probably has the best look/persona for Selina, at least to me. But the Buffy fan in me compels me to say Dushku. Also, Baccarin's already had some pretty high profile film roles, and to my knowledge, Dushku hasn't. She's a good actor, and deserves more recognition.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: And the new Batman is...

Post by Solauren »

Unfortunately, I can see the people behind the film going for Stewart for the 'chemisty' between them from the Twilight series.

Personally, I like the one idea I've seen pitched: Make it a Batman Beyond movie, with Pattinson playing Terry, get Michael Keaton to play Bruce, and go from there.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Solauren wrote: 2019-05-19 08:42am Unfortunately, I can see the people behind the film going for Stewart for the 'chemisty' between them from the Twilight series.
Its not the worst idea, but it will still fuel the idea in fandom (however unfair) that this is just Batman: Twilight.
Personally, I like the one idea I've seen pitched: Make it a Batman Beyond movie, with Pattinson playing Terry, get Michael Keaton to play Bruce, and go from there.
That would be amazing, but seems unlikely, to say the least.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'd be in favor of Pattinson as Batman. He's a good actor, he was just sacked with playing a horrifying monster who was portrayed as a love interest.

Also, I'd love to see Riddler on film again, if only to wash away the taste of Jim Carrey.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

It's a shame that they're losing Affleck, he was awesome.

But Pattinson could be pretty good.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Affleck works as an old disillusioned Batman. Not as a Batman in his prime. And I'm with Solauren on the Beyond idea. Keaton (or Affleck, either should work) as Bruce, Pattinson as Terry.
Not that I know anything about the guy never having seen Twilight (or anything else I remember the guy being in)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Batman wrote: 2019-05-19 05:51pm Affleck works as an old disillusioned Batman. Not as a Batman in his prime. And I'm with Solauren on the Beyond idea. Keaton (or Affleck, either should work) as Bruce, Pattinson as Terry.
Not that I know anything about the guy never having seen Twilight (or anything else I remember the guy being in)
He was Diggory in the Harry Potter Movies.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Who the hell was Diggory?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

One of the sea of people who probably had a lot more to do in the books, but in the film exists just to set up Harry.

Specifically, he's the guy who dies in the Tri Wizard Cup.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

So basically a nonentity
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-05-19 06:50pm One of the sea of people who probably had a lot more to do in the books, but in the film exists just to set up Harry.

Specifically, he's the guy who dies in the Tri Wizard Cup.
Honestly he didn't really have a whole lot to do in the books, either. His father was more important as a character despite appearing almost less than Cedric did either, as Amos Diggory's history was actually semi-relevant, being the judge that condemned Bartimaeus Crouch to Azkaban, setting up Crouch's attempt to kill Harry while masquerading as Mad-Eye Moody. Cedric is basically just... there, as an upperclassman and the original Hogwarts representative at the Triwizard Tournament before Crouch sneaks Harry into the lineup.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Err... what? Barty Crouch Snr condemned his son to Azkaban, Diggory was uninvolved as far as I recall. He was in the magical creatures office, not regular law enforcement.

Cedric is there to be a decent fellow, a romantic rival and another death for Harry to feel guilty about,

--

As to Pattinson as Batman, I've not strong feeling one way of the other. I would love a Beyond movie but that's not going to happen. Another Batman, especially another young Batman is kind of meh as a concept but maybe they can put a twist on it. Emphasis the detective side or the not-an-asshole side. (i love the flash mentoring scene Batfleck had in JL, one of the reasons I was pleasant surprised by it.)
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Lord Battinson please. So great. After all Batman is THE UPPER CLASS.

DO IT.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-05-20 09:23am Err... what? Barty Crouch Snr condemned his son to Azkaban, Diggory was uninvolved as far as I recall. He was in the magical creatures office, not regular law enforcement.

Cedric is there to be a decent fellow, a romantic rival and another death for Harry to feel guilty about,
You're right, I mixed up my characters. Been a long time since I read the book. Apologies for any confusion.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Solauren wrote: 2019-05-19 08:42am Unfortunately, I can see the people behind the film going for Stewart for the 'chemisty' between them from the Twilight series.
Shouldn't Catwoman be simultaneously charismatic, sultry and athletic? Does K-Stew fit that bill at all?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-05-20 10:21am
Shouldn't Catwoman be simultaneously charismatic, sultry and athletic? Does K-Stew fit that bill at all?
Ms. Stewart is reasonably 'lovely', however, IMHO, she lacks the figure usually associated with Catwoman. (Ms. Stewart is more 'willowy' then Athletic). As for Charismatic, I haven't seen her in anything to give a serious opinion on.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

K. A. Pital wrote: 2019-05-20 10:17am Lord Battinson please. So great. After all Batman is THE UPPER CLASS.

DO IT.
Someone needs to write a poor Batman, just to get you to stop bashing the character. :)

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Solauren wrote: 2019-05-20 07:01pm Ms. Stewart is reasonably 'lovely', however, IMHO, she lacks the figure usually associated with Catwoman. (Ms. Stewart is more 'willowy' then Athletic). As for Charismatic, I haven't seen her in anything to give a serious opinion on.
Well, since more than one Supe or Batty had had a muscle suit - giving her appropriate padding in her suit shouldn't really be an issue, unless people want to make it one... (Who am I kidding.)
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

So, shovel face is the new Batman. Great.

Let’s just hope he doesn’t jerk off on screen again :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-20 07:03pm
K. A. Pital wrote: 2019-05-20 10:17am Lord Battinson please. So great. After all Batman is THE UPPER CLASS.

DO IT.
Someone needs to write a poor Batman, just to get you to stop bashing the character. :)
Pattinson, for all it’s worth, was great in Bel Ami as a poor antihero.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

You'll always have Batmankoff!
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LaCroix wrote: 2019-05-21 05:43am
Solauren wrote: 2019-05-20 07:01pm Ms. Stewart is reasonably 'lovely', however, IMHO, she lacks the figure usually associated with Catwoman. (Ms. Stewart is more 'willowy' then Athletic). As for Charismatic, I haven't seen her in anything to give a serious opinion on.
Well, since more than one Supe or Batty had had a muscle suit - giving her appropriate padding in her suit shouldn't really be an issue, unless people want to make it one... (Who am I kidding.)
Problem is, Catwoman looks like that WITHOUT the suit. Her suit is basically a thin layer of latex/a mild bondage outfit. Unlike 'rubber muscling' a thing guy, Catwoman is one of the few people you have to get the figure just right. (The other one is Powergirl)

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Personally, I think only a very shallow (and sexist) fan would prioritize getting the exact "right" type of "sexy" figure over acting ability or any other factor.

I mean, there simply aren't a lot of real women who fit the kind of body type comic book artists like to use, and most of the ones that do have probably had a lot of cosmetic surgery and/or are dangerously anorexic.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

If they have to cast a Catwoman, my only wish is that she get some acrobatic practice and learn to use a whip. Michelle Pfeiffer learned to use a whip, and she still can to this day.

Today Show

Sidenote: I'd love to have Michelle Pfeiffer do a Catwoman 20 years later Catwoman movie, or in a Catwoman movie to be the one who teaches a young Selina Kyle how to use it.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Solauren wrote: 2019-05-21 09:08pm Problem is, Catwoman looks like that WITHOUT the suit. Her suit is basically a thin layer of latex/a mild bondage outfit. Unlike 'rubber muscling' a thing guy, Catwoman is one of the few people you have to get the figure just right. (The other one is Powergirl)
Unless all non-suit scenes of her will be in a bathroom or aside a pool, this is no concern. Just select proper clothing. A rubber muscle actor is also looking fine/the part in civil clothes, you just have to add shoulder pads and stuff into all costumes.

If that is a concern, at all - in most batman movies, villains have very few scenes where they are not on the clock and therefore in civilian attire.
And to be frank - who cares... If she looks slightly different than comic catwoman - we had various depictions of her, and none looks the same - even superman/Bats/Spidey had different figures, faces and suits, and no one really complained.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.