Avengers: Endgame release thread (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Avengers: Endgame release thread (spoilers)

Post by LadyTevar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-11 10:11pm
NeoGoomba wrote: 2019-07-11 09:18pm Although there's no way to tell now, I'm really hoping that Black Widow's film is her passing through some kind of crucible within the soul stone.

She's more than earned a film with some pathos behind it, not a lazy prequel.
Everything I've heard, sadly, indicates that it'll be a prequel. Which I normally wouldn't object to out of hand, but it stings under these circumstances because its a reminder that she's gone, and it means that Marvel only deemed her worthy of her own movie after her story was already over.

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for at least a post-credits scene of Natasha in the Soul Stone setting up further adventures, as unlikely as I know it is.
Hey, maybe we get to see Budapest?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2019-07-10 08:32am Actually, that begs the question if they did that with Vision 'offscreen'.
Far From Home answers this question.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-07-12 12:13am
NeoGoomba wrote: 2019-07-11 09:18pm Although there's no way to tell now, I'm really hoping that Black Widow's film is her passing through some kind of crucible within the soul stone.

She's more than earned a film with some pathos behind it, not a lazy prequel.
Everything I've heard, sadly, indicates that it'll be a prequel. Which I normally wouldn't object to out of hand, but it stings under these circumstances because its a reminder that she's gone, and it means that Marvel only deemed her worthy of her own movie after her story was already over.

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for at least a post-credits scene of Natasha in the Soul Stone setting up further adventures, as unlikely as I know it is.
Probably, but I'd much rather see what present Natasha is up to in whatever pocket dimension exists inside the Soul Stone. Or I guess, since its shattered now, whether she still exists is was unpersoned.

Edit: If I was making the movie, I'd have it start with Natasha and Clint on the cliff in Endgame, then go back to "ten years earlier" or something. Show them meeting up and their first mission or two together (maybe Budapest), and then the final scene/post-credits scene would flash back to the present and be Natasha waking up in the Soul dimension and being greeted by Gamora.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-12 12:29am
LadyTevar wrote: 2019-07-12 12:13am

Probably, but I'd much rather see what present Natasha is up to in whatever pocket dimension exists inside the Soul Stone. Or I guess, since its shattered now, whether she still exists is was unpersoned.

Edit: If I was making the movie, I'd have it start with Natasha and Clint on the cliff in Endgame, then go back to "ten years earlier" or something. Show them meeting up and their first mission or two together (maybe Budapest), and then the final scene/post-credits scene would flash back to the present and be Natasha waking up in the Soul dimension and being greeted by Gamora.
You'd only be going back to just before the events of Winter Soldier then :wink: You need at least twenty :mrgreen: Certainly any film has to include Hawkeye, wasn't he originally sent to kill her?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-07-12 02:05pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-12 12:29am
LadyTevar wrote: 2019-07-12 12:13am Hey, maybe we get to see Budapest?

You'd only be going back to just before the events of Winter Soldier then :wink: You need at least twenty :mrgreen: Certainly any film has to include Hawkeye, wasn't he originally sent to kill her?
Yeah, I guess I forgot there was a time skip of five years in Endgame.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Well it took longer than expected, but Endgame finally passed Avatar's record for highest-grossing film of all time the weekend just gone.

Link.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Haha that needs to be its own reverse-heist movie.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I was just going to post that.
NeoGoomba wrote: 2019-07-23 04:04pm Haha that needs to be its own reverse-heist movie.
Indeed. I would pay good money for a film, or hell, a miniseries, of Cap and Peggy's Adventures Through Time and Space.

Its funny, but aside from what happened to Black Widow, my main complaint against Endgame is that it raised too many questions and possibilities that it didn't answer. So I'm in strange position of disliking a film, but wishing that there were three more of it. The fact that HISHE has put together three separate videos for Endgame (I don't think they've ever done more than two for a film before) speaks to just how much there is in this film that is unanswered, and how many threads it leaves hanging.

On the plus side, that means that there's a chance for future films to somewhat salvage/retcon Endgame's faults. Just as Infinity War/Endgame did for Civil War.

It may be better to regard the MCU as narratively more like an arc-based TV series at this point, not individual films. The problem is that Marvel hasn't fully committed to that approach.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

The Romulan Republic wrote:It may be better to regard the MCU as narratively more like an arc-based TV series at this point, not individual films. The problem is that Marvel hasn't fully committed to that approach.
It generally is at this point, with 23 films and counting, Continuity Lock-Out is inevitable. Anyone would need to have been living in a cave on Mars for the last 12 years to avoid seeing any of the other films, and such a person is not going start with Endgame.

A couple of examples relating to IW and Endgame- you need to see Black Panther before the former since it introduces the Wakandan nation, and Captain Marvel before the latter because it introduces the mysterious blonde woman who comes out of nowhere and saves the day.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Heh, I actually watched Infinity War without having seen Black Panther first. It wasn't a problem for me. I knew a bit about who the character was from Civil War (and he was my favorite part of that movie), that he was a ruler of a technologically advanced African country, and that Cap and company were hiding there, and that's all I really needed to know for Infinity War.

While the interconnectedness is a big part of the MCU's appeal, I also think most films can be appreciated mostly as a stand-alone, and that's a good thing. Its a difficult balancing act, but part of the reason I don't read comics much is that the continuity is just so big and sprawling that it feels impenetrable from the outside. I wouldn't want the films to be like that.

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

They can avoid this by phrasing out older heroes and the need to know what happened to Iron Man in Iron Man 1 and etc.

The comics have a habit of refusing to retire the most popular heroes, and allowing their stories to continue forever while being rebooted every once in a while. MCU is unlikely to do the same.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

ray245 wrote: 2019-07-28 05:22pm They can avoid this by phrasing out older heroes and the need to know what happened to Iron Man in Iron Man 1 and etc.

The comics have a habit of refusing to retire the most popular heroes, and allowing their stories to continue forever while being rebooted every once in a while. MCU is unlikely to do the same.
They kind of have to if they're bringing the X-Men across though.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Rebooting the franchise is inevitable but at the current rate it will very likely be a decade or more.

The alternative side-step is to go with the alternate universes angle or time travel switches to 'reset' everything so they can go back and reuse old heroes with new actors.

I would fully expect this is going to be how they graft the X-Men into the setting at some point. Otherwise the MCU is going to do a lot of re-writing to make a lot of the standard x-men characters work.
That said, the X-Men are kinda getting dated by time anyway. Most of them are time dependant to the point that trying to keep their story and fit it into modern frame would have them being well into old age.

Sure, you can handwave it a bit with some trickery but at some point the disconnect is going to be insurmountable without major reworks of characters.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Dr. Strange is literally going to be about the Multiverse, for realsies this time, so that might be where X-Men and/or Fantastic Four show up. Strange has to save/merge an alternate reality with ours or something?

All I know is that the next phase of the MCU is looking like they are channeling a lot of the goofy and trippy cosmic stuff from the 70's and 80's and I cannot wait.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

NeoGoomba wrote: 2019-07-30 07:57am Dr. Strange is literally going to be about the Multiverse, for realsies this time, so that might be where X-Men and/or Fantastic Four show up. Strange has to save/merge an alternate reality with ours or something?

All I know is that the next phase of the MCU is looking like they are channeling a lot of the goofy and trippy cosmic stuff from the 70's and 80's and I cannot wait.
Wait, its confirmed that the next Strange film is going to be him exploring the multiverse?

Well, X-Men and Fantastic Four aside, that's a great opportunity to follow up on some of the alternate realities in Endgame, if they care to do so.

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-30 07:00pm
Wait, its confirmed that the next Strange film is going to be him exploring the multiverse?
I would think so, as it is titled "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" lol
-Agent Kay
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

NeoGoomba wrote: 2019-07-30 07:57am Dr. Strange is literally going to be about the Multiverse, for realsies this time, so that might be where X-Men and/or Fantastic Four show up. Strange has to save/merge an alternate reality with ours or something?
Awesome!

Michael Fassbender was great as Magneto!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

amigocabal wrote: 2019-08-04 09:07pm
Awesome!

I'm... not a big fan of the X-Men franchise in general. I semi-like The Last Stand and Deadpool 1, haven't seen any non-Deadpool film past First Class, and reject the Bryan Singer films on principle due to him being an (alleged) serial child rapist (and his X-Men films have some real creepy subtext when you take that into account).

But Fassbender is legitimately amazing, and I'd be happy to have him reprise the role in the MCU. I consider him the second strongest villain performance I've seen in a superhero film after Heath Ledger's Joker (okay, tied for second with Thanos in the MCU).

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

If you're in the mood for an incredible-yet-bittersweet ride, I highly recommend treating yourself to Logan. It is the perfect end to the Fox-era of X-Men films, IMO
-Agent Kay
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

The Wolverine was ok, Days of Future Past was pretty good, the end of which shits on the worst parts of TLS . After that, they went downhill- Apocalypse was just about watchable, by all accounts Dark Phoenix was the worst of all (as in, hated even more than TLS). If you liked the first Deadpool film, you'll like the second. The part that made me laugh the most was the aftermath of when Wilson winds up like Wolverine against Hulk.

Of course, the question of how Deadpool can be integrated within the MCU is going to be an even greater headache than the more conventional mutants, given part of his appeal is how he not so much leans on, but shatters the fourth wall.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-08-05 08:44pm
amigocabal wrote: 2019-08-04 09:07pm
Awesome!

I'm... not a big fan of the X-Men franchise in general. I semi-like The Last Stand and Deadpool 1, haven't seen any non-Deadpool film past First Class, and reject the Bryan Singer films on principle due to him being an (alleged) serial child rapist (and his X-Men films have some real creepy subtext when you take that into account).

But Fassbender is legitimately amazing, and I'd be happy to have him reprise the role in the MCU. I consider him the second strongest villain performance I've seen in a superhero film after Heath Ledger's Joker (okay, tied for second with Thanos in the MCU).
IMO the strongest film in the franchise was Logan, and I’d highly recommend watching it if you haven’t done so already . Its in my top 3 superhero movies, especially given that you don’t really have to have seen any of the other movies beforehand hand, though doing so certainly adds to the context and emotional impact. Deadpool aside, I wish they had ended the franchise here.

And tbh, I’d prefer the X-Men reboot to be in a separate universe from the MCU.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I haven't seen Logan, no. Might watch it some time. I've seen everything through First Class, plus both Deadpools.

I don't mind adding the X-Men to the MCU if their origin is well-thought out. Be interesting to see if they retcon Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch as Magneto's children.

Hard to see anyone else playing Logan, though. Hugh Jackman is Logan at least as much as RDJ is Tony Stark now.

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-08-06 02:18pm Of course, the question of how Deadpool can be integrated within the MCU is going to be an even greater headache than the more conventional mutants, given part of his appeal is how he not so much leans on, but shatters the fourth wall.
I'm hoping he comes busting through some crack in reality at the end of the next Dr. Strange flick. Also Scarlet Witch is supposedly going to have a large presence in it as well.

And it is funny how my opinion has shifted. After Endgame I was basically finished with the MCU. My favorite characters got closure (except for BP), and I could just move on. I'm not excited in the way I was for Captain America and Thor and all that, but just really really intrigued by how it will all play out.
-Agent Kay
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

NeoGoomba wrote: 2019-08-07 08:05am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-08-06 02:18pm Of course, the question of how Deadpool can be integrated within the MCU is going to be an even greater headache than the more conventional mutants, given part of his appeal is how he not so much leans on, but shatters the fourth wall.
I'm hoping he comes busting through some crack in reality at the end of the next Dr. Strange flick. Also Scarlet Witch is supposedly going to have a large presence in it as well.

And it is funny how my opinion has shifted. After Endgame I was basically finished with the MCU. My favorite characters got closure (except for BP), and I could just move on. I'm not excited in the way I was for Captain America and Thor and all that, but just really really intrigued by how it will all play out.
The only thing I'm really itching to see is Black Widow. I'll probably go see Captain Marvel and Black Panther movies if I have the time/money, just to spite the Alt. Reich, and I might give the next Guardians a chance if its well-reviewed. But my interest is definitely lessened post-Endgame.