Avengers: Endgame release thread (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Re: Avengers: Endgame release thread (spoilers)

Post by Civil War Man »

One thing I liked is how they really drove home, for all of the people who were nitpicking Thanos's motivation in IW (ie "Why didn't he just double all of the resources?"), that he was at his core just an inflexible fanatic, from the original him destroying the stones so no one could undo what he did, assuming that everyone would eventually come around to his way of thinking without the temptation of the stones, to the 2014 him finally being convinced that he was wrong...and deciding that he instead needed to kill everything and rebuild the universe from scratch.

I feel that he was also one of the few "I want to destroy the entire world/universe" superhero movie villain who actually made sense, if only because we see his progression to that point, and he actually has a plan for what to do after destroying the universe, regardless of whether it would have turned out the way he assumed it would.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Civil War Man wrote: 2019-04-28 08:10am One thing I liked is how they really drove home, for all of the people who were nitpicking Thanos's motivation in IW (ie "Why didn't he just double all of the resources?"), that he was at his core just an inflexible fanatic, from the original him destroying the stones so no one could undo what he did, assuming that everyone would eventually come around to his way of thinking without the temptation of the stones, to the 2014 him finally being convinced that he was wrong...and deciding that he instead needed to kill everything and rebuild the universe from scratch.

I feel that he was also one of the few "I want to destroy the entire world/universe" superhero movie villain who actually made sense, if only because we see his progression to that point, and he actually has a plan for what to do after destroying the universe, regardless of whether it would have turned out the way he assumed it would.
Yeah, I get the feeling that we were seeing the layers upon layers of justification stripped away as Thanos was dealing with setback after setback there at the end.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-04-27 10:28amWhy Cap decided to give the shield to Falcon instead of Bucky, an actual super soldier who could throw it properly?
It occured to me recently that Cap choosing to retire was decided before he even started the trip to return the Infinity Stones, and he probably discussed the idea with Bucky at some point after the funeral. That's why Bucky sent Sam to talk to Steve alone, and stood there with a grin on his face throughout the entire conversation, because Steve and him had planned it all out and agreed that Sam should be the new Captain.
I get that the team made their Iron Man gauntlet with the intention that Stark would wear it. But considering it was Hulk who actually wore the thing they could have done it with the original gauntlet which they actually had.
I'm not sure they had the original gauntlet. It was 5 years between them killing Thanos and coming up with the Time Heist. The original gauntlet wouldn't have been of any use to any of them during that time except as a trophy.

And also they built the Iron Infinity Gauntlet because they hadn't decided at that point who would actually use it, so a gauntlet that could be quickly resized made sense.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

The world come the next Spiderman movie should be a complete ruin really.

Half the population died resulting in civilisation getting badly messed up, ok 5 years pass and things start getting more or less back on their feet then suddenly overnight the population doubles again. Where are all these people going to live, have people been keeping all these empty houses in good condition? What are they going to eat? Have people been keeping up stockpiles of food? Even if there are now twice as many farmers, it's going to be months to years before production can ramp up. Half of countries / organisations lost their leaders and now there will be two leaders who get to decide who's in charge.

There should be mass famine and chaos at best.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Yeah, the world should be a shitshow. They give it quick lip service before they go murderdeathkill Thanos in the beginning that the governments are all crumbling. And to be fair, from every point after Lang returns we see an almost abandoned world, with Natasha trying to coordinate with what is left. Rhodes mentions the Mexican government, or at least the Federales, but we have zero idea what the big picture is.

The Vanished are in for one nightmare of a world when they return, that's for sure.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I also wonder if Earth will begin to contact with other worlds now, with Captain Marvel as the liason?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

ray245 wrote: 2019-04-27 12:22pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-04-27 10:28am Why Cap decided to give the shield to Falcon instead of Bucky, an actual super soldier who could throw it properly?
I think part of the reason is to address the diversity issue of phrase 1-3 heroes being mostly dominated by white, male heroes? The fear of being seen as not diverse enough for phrase 4 might be the the key motivation.
Also, Bucky was a Hydra assassin for a long time. Given that Captain America is sort of a public figure, the guy who killed the Starks might not be the best one to wear that mantle.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Okay, so Captain Marvel can tear right through the hull of a spacegoing warship like it's made of tissue paper, but can't do much more than mildly inconvenience Thanos in fisticuffs? :roll:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Yeah, they hamstringed the shit out of her didn't they.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2019-04-28 09:27pm Okay, so Captain Marvel can tear right through the hull of a spacegoing warship like it's made of tissue paper, but can't do much more than mildly inconvenience Thanos in fisticuffs? :roll:
Uh... what? She was overpowering him and no-selling his attacks until he blasted her with the power stone. She held up one on one with him better than anyone.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-29/ ... d/11053466
Avengers: Endgame has shattered the record for the biggest worldwide opening, with an estimated $US1.2 billion ($1.7 billion) in ticket sales globally.

The movie had been forecast to open between $US260 million and $US300 million in US and Canadian theatres, but moviegoers turned out in such droves that Endgame blew past the previous record set by Avengers: Infinity War last year of $US257.7 million, to record $US350 million in sales.

In one fell swoop, Endgame has already made more than movies like Skyfall, Aquaman and The Dark Knight Rises grossed in their entire runs, not accounting for inflation.

Worldwide, it obliterated the previous record of $US640.5 million, also set by Infinity War (although Infinity War did not open in China until two weeks after its debut).

Endgame set a new weekend record in China, where it made $330.5 million in the world's second-largest movie market.
Going back to the 90s when I wanted comic book particularly Marvel movies and Avengers were my favourite superhero group, I would have been called a geek. :lol:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

I will say that the biggest disappointment for me was that the payoff for the Hulk's Infinity War arc took place entirely off-screen. I liked the decision to make him Professor Hulk (I think it should have been either that or Worldbreaker), but it sucked that it went from him being unable to become to Hulk to him completely resolving his internal conflict without us seeing any of it. Also mildly disappointed that Hulk didn't get a rematch against Thanos during the climax as one of the people who jump him to keep him away from the gauntlet.

The only real payoff he got in the movie was being able to tank the radiation from the stones during his snap. I felt it all really solidified the Hulk as the neglected middle child of the MCU.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Civil War Man wrote: 2019-04-29 09:10am I will say that the biggest disappointment for me was that the payoff for the Hulk's Infinity War arc took place entirely off-screen. I liked the decision to make him Professor Hulk (I think it should have been either that or Worldbreaker), but it sucked that it went from him being unable to become to Hulk to him completely resolving his internal conflict without us seeing any of it. Also mildly disappointed that Hulk didn't get a rematch against Thanos during the climax as one of the people who jump him to keep him away from the gauntlet.

The only real payoff he got in the movie was being able to tank the radiation from the stones during his snap. I felt it all really solidified the Hulk as the neglected middle child of the MCU.
The closest he got to that was when the Avengers jumped the weakened, stone-less Thanos not far into the film. Hulk took enough damage that his arm was still in a sling at Tony Stark's funeral, seems somewhere along the way his healing factor got nerfed.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-04-29 09:37amThe closest he got to that was when the Avengers jumped the weakened, stone-less Thanos not far into the film. Hulk took enough damage that his arm was still in a sling at Tony Stark's funeral, seems somewhere along the way his healing factor got nerfed.
Not necessarily. His healing ability and power were pretty much what made him the one Avenger who could use the stones without dying. He ended up with an arm in a sling instead of in the ground, so that's not much of a nerf. While Thanos was able to use them in Infinity War without any real ill effect, the impression I get is that the Avenger gauntlet was not as good at absorbing the energy of the stones as the one built by Eitri.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Civil War Man wrote: 2019-04-29 10:19am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-04-29 09:37amThe closest he got to that was when the Avengers jumped the weakened, stone-less Thanos not far into the film. Hulk took enough damage that his arm was still in a sling at Tony Stark's funeral, seems somewhere along the way his healing factor got nerfed.
Not necessarily. His healing ability and power were pretty much what made him the one Avenger who could use the stones without dying. He ended up with an arm in a sling instead of in the ground, so that's not much of a nerf. While Thanos was able to use them in Infinity War without any real ill effect, the impression I get is that the Avenger gauntlet was not as good at absorbing the energy of the stones as the one built by Eitri.
Possibly, though if they knew this beforehand they would have transferred the stones into the original gauntlet since Hulk was the only one whose hands would have fitted. As it stands the damage they and Thanos' bombardment did left him sidelined for the final battle.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Saw the movie today after technical difficulties (Previews played then... no movie then movie started no sound then sound but video skipping... it all got fixed 35 minutes after start time) and yes there is plenty in this movie to nitpick but there are many moments which are great payoffs for years of development and the time travel hijinks were fun but serious time here.

The world at the end of Endgame is fuuuuuuucked.
Let's take some basic issues, imagine your Johnny Dusted, in 2017 you got dusted, your family held your funeral (Those that were left) everyone cried your will was implemented your worldly good and banks accounts transferred to your heir or the state.

Now it's 2022 congratulations your undusted! Shame you have the clothes on your back + your wallet because all of your shit is gone either sold given away or simply missing. So your in essence poor, homeless but yes you are alive and your part of 50% of the population that suffers from this issue.

But lets take a worse example lets say your Jill Dusted in 2017 you got dusted, your family got dusted as well and your house burned down because you and the family were sitting down for dinner and uh oh the pot was boiling! So not only are you poor, all your shits gone and you lost your job because all of your stuff was inherited by great auntie Ethel who spent it on booze and slots since she figured everyone else was going to die why not live a little with the money of her all dead family.

Both scenarios are horrific from both a personal and economic situation. Even if they brought everyone back to the day the stones were destroyed (a few days after the snap) it's still going to be horrible but it gets worse!

Your Bill Pilot and on 2017 you were flying your helicopter we see at the end of the last Avengers movie that slams into the building showering those below with broken glass, you come back in 2022 except your helicopter is long gone so what you appear 90 feet in the sky and squish some poor cab drivers car as you think oh no not again.

Time travel has nothing on the what happens after snap undone moment.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I think at least for the midair people and so on we can count on Banner with god-power to make sure they don't instantly die. The other aspects are fair enough. Though Far From Home looks... unlikely to deal with the fallout that should be there.

-

A random couple of thoughts. I understand how Tony feels and why he blames Steve. But does the movie want us to believe 'Tony was right all along' or is that just Tony.

Did anyone else notice Clint was using Nat's equipment after Vormire? I thought he was but I've not seen anyone else mention it.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-04-29 02:20am
Rogue 9 wrote: 2019-04-28 09:27pm Okay, so Captain Marvel can tear right through the hull of a spacegoing warship like it's made of tissue paper, but can't do much more than mildly inconvenience Thanos in fisticuffs? :roll:
Uh... what? She was overpowering him and no-selling his attacks until he blasted her with the power stone. She held up one on one with him better than anyone.
Allow me to clarify. She can tear right through the hull of a warship without slowing down. She should be able to do the same to his fleshy self, without slowing down.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Didn't she get some big run up to tear through that ship that may not have been feasible when fighting a gauntleted Thanos?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

I think at least one of her attacks came up from below, the feasibility of any such attack is how much acceleration Danvers is capable of.

The after-effects would certainly be better addressed in the MCU TV series, Agents of SHIELD resumes in 3 weeks so it won't be long before it's revealed how they cover this.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2019-04-29 05:41pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-04-29 02:20am
Allow me to clarify. She can tear right through the hull of a warship without slowing down. She should be able to do the same to his fleshy self, without slowing down.
Unless he's tougher than his ship. He can go hand to hand with the hulk or Cap/Thor/IM. His fleshy self isn't exactly frail.

Alas it's only a comic book movie, and you couldn't have the newbie hero splatter the villian.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Another point about Spiderman, five years past but his friend is there same age meaning he must have also been snapped as well.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

We don't know the full effects of Tony's snap, so I'm wondering if he pulled off some kind of wonkyness aside from just dusting Thanos and his armies. All we know for sure is that Banner simply tried to bring everyone back who was killed by Thanos' initial snap, as well as Black Widow.

The fact that there wasn't a giant statue of Tony somewhere willed into being with his snap is actually astonishing. :P
-Agent Kay
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Did anyone else notice that Howard Stark is a committed Nazi? Was that confirmed somewhere else and I just missed it? Because he was definitely in the secret Hydra lab and looking for a secretly alive Hydr scientist.

I liked the movie, but time travel fucks with stuff. They did it well, but that isn't good enough. They can bring back Tony by going to another timeline and grabbing him ten seconds before he snaps. That timeline is fucked, but who in this one cares? Same with Black WIdow and anyone who may ever die. It fucks with stuff. Ever need something you can't get? Hop into a different timeline and grab it.

I thought the fight with Thanos at the end was very impressive visually. I was hoping that Thanos would pick up Mjolnir, as his intentions are noble even if his goals are not.

One little thing that pissed me off: Danvers' one pass was able to completely destroy Thanos' flagship. I don't disagree that she should have been able to tear through it as depicted, I just thing a warship that big is going to have enough redundant systems to keep fighting for half an hour as it falls to the ground, stricken. Plus, that makes for a cool visual. The mortally wounded war machine lashing out in vengeance even as it falls to its death, instead of conveniently being completely disabled.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

KraytKing wrote: 2019-04-30 09:25am Did anyone else notice that Howard Stark is a committed Nazi? Was that confirmed somewhere else and I just missed it? Because he was definitely in the secret Hydra lab and looking for a secretly alive Hydr scientist.
He was looking for Zola. Who was openly recruited into SHIELD afaik.

Also I didn't catch anything that made it seem like they were in a secret Hydra part of the base, or a secret one otherwise Howard would be more surprised to see someone else there.