Was Jasmine's offer worth the cost? (Angel)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Was Jasmine's offer worth the cost? (Angel)

Post by Crazedwraith »

B5B7 wrote: 2019-04-26 10:11pm Angel is as strong as Buffy who is as strong as Captain America, so Hamilton was much stronger.
Angel is explicitly not as strong as Buffy as of their crossover in S1 of Angel at least according to dialogue I don't know if their feats of strength live up to it.

But it makes sense the person empower to kill vampires would be stronger than vampires at least lower level ones with the 'stronger with age' aspect they have going on.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-26 10:18pm
B5B7 wrote: 2019-04-26 10:11pm Angel is as strong as Buffy who is as strong as Captain America, so Hamilton was much stronger.
I don't know. I don't think we've ever seen Buffy do something on the level of holding a helicopter in place as its trying to take off. Or stopping a punch from Thanos, for that matter. Would be interesting to try to quantify it though.
We have.

In Season 3, Episode 1 "Anne" she lifts a metal portcullis. It's hard, but she does it.

She has bent and broken prison bars, metal doors, penetrated reinforced glass with her fingers, kicked metal warehouse garage doors to piecsz in a single blow,

Buffy is quite strong. 3 ton range or so. She is fast (40mph run speed, catch crossbow bolts fired from less than 2m away from her), dutable to blunt force trauma, regenerative, has a danger-sense (including blindfighting feats)...

And the power to be underestimated.

As for Jasmine... I'd have to rewarch, but it is partly because of her origin that he is both immune to her control, and can harm her directly. It might jusr be a weakness, but trauma enough to harm her might be ... Harder to accomplish.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2019-04-27 02:33pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-26 10:18pm
I don't know. I don't think we've ever seen Buffy do something on the level of holding a helicopter in place as its trying to take off. Or stopping a punch from Thanos, for that matter. Would be interesting to try to quantify it though.
We have.

In Season 3, Episode 1 "Anne" she lifts a metal portcullis. It's hard, but she does it.

She has bent and broken prison bars, metal doors, penetrated reinforced glass with her fingers, kicked metal warehouse garage doors to piecsz in a single blow,

Buffy is quite strong. 3 ton range or so. She is fast (40mph run speed, catch crossbow bolts fired from less than 2m away from her), dutable to blunt force trauma, regenerative, has a danger-sense (including blindfighting feats)...

And the power to be underestimated.
So how does that compare to holding a moving helicopter in place, or blocking a punch from Thanos?

I'm quite open to the idea of Buffy being able to take Cap (well, aside from the fact that she comes off as less skilled, due to BtVS having inferior fight choreography to the MCU), but Cap is definitely no lightweight either.
As for Jasmine... I'd have to rewarch, but it is partly because of her origin that he is both immune to her control, and can harm her directly. It might jusr be a weakness, but trauma enough to harm her might be ... Harder to accomplish.
Fair enough.

Going back to this, and the original question of the thread, it just occurred to me that Jasmine is, character-wise, basically Thanos. She's a powerful being who claims that what she is doing is justified to save the world, but is ultimately just a selfish narcissist who hasn't thought through the long-term consequences of her plans, or the possible alternatives, because she's not really doing it for the world, she's doing it for her.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-05-19 08:22am So how does that compare to holding a moving helicopter in place, or blocking a punch from Thanos?
I honestly couldn't say. I'm an English major. My best sciences were biological. But it might allow for someone with a better grasp of physics to figure it out.
I'm quite open to the idea of Buffy being able to take Cap (well, aside from the fact that she comes off as less skilled, due to BtVS having inferior fight choreography to the MCU), but Cap is definitely no lightweight either.
Oh, absolutely! While classic comic cap is listed at "Peak Human", MCU draws more from the explicitly superhuman Ultimate side of things.
Going back to this, and the original question of the thread, it just occurred to me that Jasmine is, character-wise, basically Thanos. She's a powerful being who claims that what she is doing is justified to save the world, but is ultimately just a selfish narcissist who hasn't thought through the long-term consequences of her plans, or the possible alternatives, because she's not really doing it for the world, she's doing it for her.
Which reminds me of the fun fact that Buffy herself is based on Kitty Pryde.

Just as Faith is based on Elektra.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran