What areas of Westeros are NOT affected by winter?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

What areas of Westeros are NOT affected by winter?

Post by FaxModem1 »

Simple enough question. In Westeros, what areas of the continent, if any, are not affected by winter, and can still grow food, if any? I've heard it was Dorne, but I'm unsure about that. If Dorne doesn't have to worry about the winters, what about the Reach? How far south does the winter really go?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: What areas of Westeros are NOT affected by winter?

Post by Mr Bean »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-04-22 08:01pm Simple enough question. In Westeros, what areas of the continent, if any, are not affected by winter, and can still grow food, if any? I've heard it was Dorne, but I'm unsure about that. If Dorne doesn't have to worry about the winters, what about the Reach? How far south does the winter really go?
Pretty much on the money, the Riverlands, the Iron Isle, basically everything north of King's Landing freezes like up like Siberia. It's better off across the sea per the books but still pretty bad, the further east you go the less bad the winters get per RR Martin. Which makes sense from the whole Others bring the Winter theory that's been long running.

There's also another theory out there that the world orbit is not only unstable (Hence changing seasons) but that the orientation of the planet changes in addition to facing more away from their sun.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: What areas of Westeros are NOT affected by winter?

Post by LaCroix »

I prefer the sorta-Britain correlation of something with a sorta-cyclic sea current that only affects the western coast of westeros?

And since it's on the west coast, it has only limited effects on Essos which explains why they do not have such a pronounced the summer/winter problem.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.