Treasure (Skull) Island ("Force" Sub)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Treasure (Skull) Island ("Force" Sub)

Post by Majin Gojira »

The short of this "Vs" scenario is that instead of the crew of the Hispaniola are off seeking treasure, but instead of the rock they go to in the novel, the treasure is in a far more dangerous place. Skull Island.

Forces Arraid:

Hispaniola:

The Hispaniola is a Shooner. It is a fully operational, solid ship and has solid enough cannons to defend herself from other ships. They are also well stocked with black powder and muskets (British make, as befits the 17th century time period of the novel), as well as pistols, cutlasses, and daggers.

The musket in question would be a Brown Bess. A smoothbore that fires a .75 inch caliber shot. 3 to 4 shots a minute could be fired from this weapon with training.

They have a map of the Island and a general warning of the hazards. Primarily, the crevasses, swamps, native village, and accessways to the island (they know a way through the sheer cliffs that largely surround the island and do not have to use the peninsula to get aboard). The map does not warn them about the wildlife.

Its crew consists of:
Captain Alexander Smollett - A savvy and experienced naval officer. Rigid and rule-bound.

Dr. David Livesey - A competent doctor (for his time), knowing the dangers of disease transmuting insects. Is more than a fair hand with a gun and a sword.

Jim Hawkins - Cabin Boy, stealthy, smart, and pretty strong willed (eventually).

Squire John Trelawney - Far too trusting and honest. Somewhat of a twit, but a deadly shot.

Long John Silver - One legged, iron-willed, harder than any other man aboard. Has a talking parrot that is pretty intelligent by itself. Were it not for his missing leg, he would be quite a terror. Even without, he still is.

Piratical Crew - 17 or so crewmen who know of the treasure and want it badly. One is an expert cannoneer. Deadly cutthroats.

Honest Crew - 2 men who were hired before Long John was hired.

Squire Trelawney's servants - 3 men who came with the squire to aid on this quest.

Billy Bones - A survivor who has lived on the island since being marooned there. Still alive, despite the change in location!

Skull Island:

For those that don't know, there are two points to enter Skull Island. One is on the beach peninsula, the other is further along the ridge in a hidden cliff area. This is near where the treasure is hidden, but behind a brick wall.

Natives - Several hundred people, a culture with hide shields, but iron tipped spears. They do not take kindly to visitors. But they can be scared off with gunfire.

Dangerous Animals - There are a LOT of iterations of Kong and Skull Island to go through. We'll stick with the '33 version for the most part, with Son of Kong and things left on the cutting room floor for both it and 'Creation.' If you feel that isn't enough of an obstacle, throw in 30-sih versions of the Hell Creek formation fauna and a Therizinosaur. That means Dakotaraptor (basically, JP Velociraptor sized dromaeosaur).

If you want a full animal breakdown, just ask.
---

The Crew's objective is to get the treasure and get out alive. The key questions are as follows:

1) Can they make it through with only encounter a few (1-3) of these dangerous animals?
2) How will their 1700s mindsets interpret these creatures?
3) How does this affect Silver's mutinous Pans?
4) Would Ben Gun, driven mad from his time there and having a hatred for SIlver and those who left him stranded, try and lure one of the brutes to any camp the pirates make and really wreck things for everyone?

Have at it!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Treasure (Skull) Island ("Force" Sub)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Oh cool, a Treasure Island thread.
Majin Gojira wrote: 2019-04-09 07:34pmThe short of this "Vs" scenario is that instead of the crew of the Hispaniola are off seeking treasure, but instead of the rock they go to in the novel, the treasure is in a far more dangerous place. Skull Island.
What did the crew of the Hispaniola ever do to you? But seriously, that makes Flint even more bad ass than his canonical reputation, if he buried his treasure on freaking Skull Island and lived to make a map about it.

Also, which version of Treasure Island? From the contents of your post, I'm guessing book version, though in that case there are some continuity errors. For Skull Island... basically the '33 film but with more realistic fauna, with the dinosaurs being based on the Hell Creek formation specimens? Is that correct?

Incidentally, a list of Hell Creek species can be read here, for anyone who's interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Cree ... #Dinosaurs
Forces Arraid:

Hispaniola:

The Hispaniola is a Shooner. It is a fully operational, solid ship and has solid enough cannons to defend herself from other ships. They are also well stocked with black powder and muskets (British make, as befits the 17th century time period of the novel), as well as pistols, cutlasses, and daggers.

The musket in question would be a Brown Bess. A smoothbore that fires a .75 inch caliber shot. 3 to 4 shots a minute could be fired from this weapon with training.
From recollection, the book version had only a single big canon (exactly how big I can't recall). And lots of muskets, pistols, and cutlasses, yeah.
They have a map of the Island and a general warning of the hazards. Primarily, the crevasses, swamps, native village, and accessways to the island (they know a way through the sheer cliffs that largely surround the island and do not have to use the peninsula to get aboard). The map does not warn them about the wildlife.
They're going to freak the hell out the first time they see a dinosaur, much less Kong himself. Especially since Treasure Island is set in a period predating the scientific discovery of the Dinosauria.
Its crew consists of:
Captain Alexander Smollett - A savvy and experienced naval officer. Rigid and rule-bound.

Dr. David Livesey - A competent doctor (for his time), knowing the dangers of disease transmuting insects. Is more than a fair hand with a gun and a sword.
Canonically, Livesey was a British army veteran who had fought at the Battle of Fontenoy.
Jim Hawkins - Cabin Boy, stealthy, smart, and pretty strong willed (eventually).

Squire John Trelawney - Far too trusting and honest. Somewhat of a twit, but a deadly shot.

Long John Silver - One legged, iron-willed, harder than any other man aboard. Has a talking parrot that is pretty intelligent by itself. Were it not for his missing leg, he would be quite a terror. Even without, he still is.

Piratical Crew - 17 or so crewmen who know of the treasure and want it badly. One is an expert cannoneer. Deadly cutthroats.
19 counting Silver, I think, though I might be wrong. Also not sure if that tally was before or after Grey defected back to the loyal crew.
Honest Crew - 2 men who were hired before Long John was hired.

Squire Trelawney's servants - 3 men who came with the squire to aid on this quest.

Billy Bones - A survivor who has lived on the island since being marooned there. Still alive, despite the change in location!
That's Ben Gunn, of course. Billy Bones was the old (now deceased) pirate at the inn that they got the map from in the first place.

Also, good Lord, how did that crazy old man survive on an island with Dakotaraptors and Tyranosaurs? The canon one didn't have to contend with anything more deadly than goats, and the possibility of disease.
Skull Island:

For those that don't know, there are two points to enter Skull Island. One is on the beach peninsula, the other is further along the ridge in a hidden cliff area. This is near where the treasure is hidden, but behind a brick wall.

Natives - Several hundred people, a culture with hide shields, but iron tipped spears. They do not take kindly to visitors. But they can be scared off with gunfire.
I wouldn't undersell the capabilities of the natives here. The canon film crew on Skull Island had 20th. Century firearms. Several hundred men with spears might very well overwhelm thirty-odd men with nothing more powerful than (fairly inaccurate) muskets that must be reloaded after every shot.
Dangerous Animals - There are a LOT of iterations of Kong and Skull Island to go through. We'll stick with the '33 version for the most part, with Son of Kong and things left on the cutting room floor for both it and 'Creation.' If you feel that isn't enough of an obstacle, throw in 30-sih versions of the Hell Creek formation fauna and a Therizinosaur. That means Dakotaraptor (basically, JP Velociraptor sized dromaeosaur).

If you want a full animal breakdown, just ask.
---

The Crew's objective is to get the treasure and get out alive. The key questions are as follows:

1) Can they make it through with only encounter a few (1-3) of these dangerous animals?
2) How will their 1700s mindsets interpret these creatures?
3) How does this affect Silver's mutinous Pans?
4) Would Ben Gun, driven mad from his time there and having a hatred for SIlver and those who left him stranded, try and lure one of the brutes to any camp the pirates make and really wreck things for everyone?

Have at it!
They're fucked, unless they can land on the beach right near the treasure and go straight for it. Even then, the mutineers in the book were so overeager that they'll probably jump the gun and start the mutiny before they get the treasure (Silver was barely able to keep them under control at all in the book). They'll most likely win in this version, as there is no Stockade on Skull Island for the loyal crew to evacuate to, but the defenders are capable enough that the mutineers will probably take heavy casualties unless they manage a near-perfect surprise. Which potentially leaves Silver with a handful of rebellious pirates, no treasure to placate them or manpower to go get it or man the ship, and all the competent people dead. Best chance is for Smollet to send most of the crew ashore, as in canon, then hope the local fauna or natives deal with them, or try and seize the ship from whoever's left behind and haul anchor (this screws Ben Gunn, and Jim if he goes ashore this time, but the needs of the many...).

The creatures... some of the more ignorant or superstitious crew would like see them as monsters or dragons. Livesey and Trelawney will probably try to interpret them through a more scientific lense, I think.

Yeah, I can see Ben Gunn trying to lure a dinosaur into the muntineers' camp.

Now I really want to see Ben Gunn: Dinosaur Rider. :D
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I would've preferred a Kong Skull Island and Road to El Dorado crossover.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: 2019-04-11 04:49am I would've preferred a Kong Skull Island and Road to El Dorado crossover.
I agree with the Kong Skull Island. Not so much with Road to El Dorado. ;)

Kong's Island had additional problems tho -- the massive hurricane circling it would be murder on the Hispaniola, and might even destroy it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-04-11 01:15pm Kong's Island had additional problems tho -- the massive hurricane circling it would be murder on the Hispaniola, and might even destroy it.
The '33 film it's simply dense fog. Same in the 70s film.

And sorry for getting the names/specifics of the Hispaniola crew. This whole thread is a result of me reading a book on unmade Kong films ("Kong Unmade") and listening to the Audible version of Treasure Island back to back.

So, yeah. Book Version, and "realistic" '33 film by modern scientific understanding, though Kong is still 18ft tall when standing upright. Just Kong does fluctuate in size in the film, among other oddities.
The Romulan Republic wrote:I wouldn't undersell the capabilities of the natives here. The canon film crew on Skull Island had 20th. Century firearms. Several hundred men with spears might very well overwhelm thirty-odd men with nothing more powerful than (fairly inaccurate) muskets that must be reloaded after every shot.
In the film, the natives ran "like scared rabbits" from a few volleys fired over them. Which...is pretty racist by today's standards.
They're fucked, unless they can land on the beach right near the treasure and go straight for it.
The Beach is not far from the treasure, but the 'hidden' landing point is much closer to it (literally, within 100ft).
Even then, the mutineers in the book were so overeager that they'll probably jump the gun and start the mutiny before they get the treasure (Silver was barely able to keep them under control at all in the book). They'll most likely win in this version, as there is no Stockade on Skull Island for the loyal crew to evacuate to, but the defenders are capable enough that the mutineers will probably take heavy casualties unless they manage a near-perfect surprise. Which potentially leaves Silver with a handful of rebellious pirates, no treasure to placate them or manpower to go get it or man the ship, and all the competent people dead. Best chance is for Smollet to send most of the crew ashore, as in canon, then hope the local fauna or natives deal with them, or try and seize the ship from whoever's left behind and haul anchor (this screws Ben Gunn, and Jim if he goes ashore this time, but the needs of the many...).
The aforementioned second entrance could serve as a makeshift fortification, though that would put their backs to the Jungle. An ancient, carved stairway amidst high cliffside leading to a clear top near a swamp and the (bricked up) cave (elevated from the swamp).

This is the general scene on the other side of the stairwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCSweP45x2s

And behind the brick wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehra9mTstDA

The stairwell itself is about 6ft across.
The creatures... some of the more ignorant or superstitious crew would like see them as monsters or dragons. Livesey and Trelawney will probably try to interpret them through a more scientific lense, I think.
I could see, if things go south for him, using the animal's presence and the superstitious minds of some of the crew ("You defaced a Bible.") to get them back under his thumb or keep himself alive as need be.
Yeah, I can see Ben Gunn trying to lure a dinosaur into the muntineers' camp.
It just struck me. The best way for Ben Gunn to survive in the jungle is to befriend a Kong like what happened in Son of Kong.

Jim might be able to pull it off too, but that's a bit of a longshot.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2019-04-11 10:11pmThe '33 film it's simply dense fog. Same in the 70s film.

And sorry for getting the names/specifics of the Hispaniola crew. This whole thread is a result of me reading a book on unmade Kong films ("Kong Unmade") and listening to the Audible version of Treasure Island back to back.

So, yeah. Book Version, and "realistic" '33 film by modern scientific understanding, though Kong is still 18ft tall when standing upright. Just Kong does fluctuate in size in the film, among other oddities.
18 foot isn't that big. For some reason I always pictured Kong as bigger. A canon hit would probably bring him down, if nothing else.
In the film, the natives ran "like scared rabbits" from a few volleys fired over them. Which...is pretty racist by today's standards.
That's actually not that far out, in my opinion- I can buy that reaction from people who'd never encountered guns before (or maybe that's me being unwittingly racist). Mind you, I expect they'd get used to guns pretty fast, then figure out how to ambush the guys with guns and get some of their own.

But yeah, its a film from a time when most of America basically regarded black people as animals. Hell, I've even heard it claimed that Kong's (a giant ape's) interest in whatshername is a metaphore for black men wanting to rape white women, which given the period wouldn't shock me. So yeah.
The Beach is not far from the treasure, but the 'hidden' landing point is much closer to it (literally, within 100ft).

If they can land there, then they might find the treasure quickly enough to avoid heavy casualties or preemptive mutiny, in which case Silver probably wins, takes ship, and retires a wealthy man.
The aforementioned second entrance could serve as a makeshift fortification, though that would put their backs to the Jungle. An ancient, carved stairway amidst high cliffside leading to a clear top near a swamp and the (bricked up) cave (elevated from the swamp).

This is the general scene on the other side of the stairwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCSweP45x2s

And behind the brick wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehra9mTstDA

The stairwell itself is about 6ft across.
Does it have a spring of clean water? Because one of the main advantages of the Stockade is that had water, so they could sustain a siege even after the pirates took the ship and most of the stores.

It'll also be hard to reach if all the mutineers go ashore and start looking for treasure there. And if they don't... well, then, the loyal crew will never get off the ship alive.
I could see, if things go south for him, using the animal's presence and the superstitious minds of some of the crew ("You defaced a Bible.") to get them back under his thumb or keep himself alive as need be.
Oh Silver's savvy, as another pirate captain would say, but the odds here are way more stacked against him here than in the canon book.
It just struck me. The best way for Ben Gunn to survive in the jungle is to befriend a Kong like what happened in Son of Kong.

Jim might be able to pull it off too, but that's a bit of a longshot.
I still just want Ben Gunn: Dino Rider. Because some things are too awesome not to happen, and battle dinosaurs are one of them.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.