Captain Marvel Release Thread *Spoilers*

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Captain Marvel Release Thread *Spoilers*

Post by Crazedwraith »

It's out on general release tomorrow and people are seeing previews and reviews.

As, as ever, I dislike Trailer threads turning into discussion threads. Here is a lovely spoiler warning thread to get out discussions on in.

Hoping to see it soon. Early next week maybe.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Captain Marvel Release Thread *Spoilers*

Post by mr friendly guy »

Well since you put a spoiler thread...

Interesting in the MCU the Kree / Skrull war ended in a Kree victory, and the Skrulls reduced to being refugees. Now the Skrulls could be useful in subsequent Marvel stories, for example they could be used in Operation Galactic storm storyline. For those that don't remember, Operation Galactic storm had the Avengers caught in a Kree / Shi'ar war, after previously being caught in the Kree / Skrull war which ended in a draw.

The Kree / Shi'ar war ended in a Shi'ar victory when they used the Nega bomb, which was an obvious allusion to nuclear weapons. Of note we see that the Skrulls had infiltrated both sides and fan the hatred. For example the Skrulls used a Kree ship to bombard Shi'ar civilians and infiltrate the advisor to the Shi'ar Empress.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

The local (tiny-ass) cinema had it showing tonight, so my wife and I went and saw it. I will say that it's a good, fun film. Not really a navel-gazer, but also not so mindless as a lot of popcorn/action flicks.

We get confirmation that Nick Fury is a very good person, though! He loves cats.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

It was fine. Nothing really mind blowing.

My only question, where did Goose come from?
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

I'm guessing that 'Goose' was a 'Pet' of the late Doctor?

Trying to keep things 'Vague'. :)
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I liked the tribute they did for Stan Lee right at the beginning, with the logo. The last half hour was definitely the best part, when Danvers found her potential. Just maybe she's the one to take on Thanos after all. After me saying it though the mid-credits scene didn't show her actually receiving the signal, just that she came looking for Fury who of course quite literally bit the dust.

It neatly explained that Fury's device was upgraded from a simple 2-way pager, that he'd been carrying ever since. And how he lost his eye thanks to Goose, or whatever the Skrull name for the creature was! :lol: There was certainly plenty of humour, mostly because of said feline, which was more than just a cat.

Question is, how did the Skrulls obtain the Tesseract in the first place? It was last seen being fished from the bottom of the sea by a sub/ROV some time after Captain America disappeared, and was assumed to have been in SHIELD custody ever since.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-03-08 11:25am I liked the tribute they did for Stan Lee right at the beginning, with the logo. The last half hour was definitely the best part, when Danvers found her potential. Just maybe she's the one to take on Thanos after all. After me saying it though the mid-credits scene didn't show her actually receiving the signal, just that she came looking for Fury who of course quite literally bit the dust.

It neatly explained that Fury's device was upgraded from a simple 2-way pager, that he'd been carrying ever since. And how he lost his eye thanks to Goose, or whatever the Skrull name for the creature was! :lol: There was certainly plenty of humour, mostly because of said feline, which was more than just a cat.

Question is, how did the Skrulls obtain the Tesseract in the first place? It was last seen being fished from the bottom of the sea by a sub/ROV some time after Captain America disappeared, and was assumed to have been in SHIELD custody ever since.
Marvell most probably obtained it as part of project pegasus. She build that space ship in orbit using the tessaract and then hid the Skrulls on the ship.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

It wasnt bad but not exactly that good either. Out of all the MCU’s movies, i’d rate it solidly in the middle of the pack. I’ll probably go see it a 2nd time on a Tuesday when its 50% off at my local theater.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-03-08 08:29pm Marvell most probably obtained it as part of project pegasus. She build that space ship in orbit using the tessaract and then hid the Skrulls on the ship.
She probably didn't build the ship in orbit; it was likely her ride from Kree space, and that's just where she parked it. She must have been using Project Pegasus vehicles to ferry stuff like the pinball machines up from the planet. But yeah, she likely pinched the Tesseract from the humans.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

That's the impression I got as well.

Altogether a fun and enjoyable movie, and seeing Carol Danvers in all of her righteous glory kicking the shit out of Ronan's fleet was the capstone to it. Or her reaction to Jude Law's Kree trying to play the "fight me without powers and prove yourself!" thing; namely, shooting his ass and proclaiming "I don't need to prove myself".

The twist with the Skrulls was unexpected and brilliant. I'd expected, at best, an Eastern Front situation: two asshole groups. The true nature of the Skrulls was a gennuine surprise and quite an enjoyable development.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Fun and enjoyable, if standard fare. Twisting the Skrulls was nice, theres going to be a hundred youtube vids and articles calling it political SJW nonsense but fuck them. My only real complaint is the jumpy camera work during the fight scenes, it getting more noticable and annoying.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

The scientist that did the skrull autopsy wasn't Bruce banner, was he...?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

I noticed the ships the Kree used were very similar to the Dark Aster that Ronan would go on to use in GOTG, and the links with that film were further reinforced by using identical text when referring to a particular location. No mention of Xandar or the Novacorps, which is odd what with them being Ronan's mortal enemies and all. There didn't seem to be any sign of Ronan making the connection of Tesseract = Infinity Stone, which would have set him on the path to getting the Orb.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Saw it this morning with my wife.

Solid 7/10 for me.

Points lost for Spoiler
"I'm just a girl" as the scene song when Carol is kicking everyone's ass. "More Human the Human" would have been better. Then again, so would have 'Welcome to the Jungle, as Carol is obviously a fan. This point was raised by my wife.
-1 point

Nick Fury's eye. To was to telegraphed.
- 1/2 of a point

Carols call sign being 'Avenger' causing the Avengers initiative. Another point out by my wife, as it kind of invalidates Captain America being the 'First Avenger'.
- 1/2 of a point

The lack of explanation on how the Terrasect ended up under Project Pegasus is annoying, but can be inferred.
- 1/2 of a point

Lack of the Nova Corp being mentioned. Then again, the war with the Nova Corp could have happened AFTER Carol revealed all the Kree's dirty laundry.
- 1/2 of a point
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Lost Soal wrote: 2019-03-09 10:56am Fun and enjoyable, if standard fare. Twisting the Skrulls was nice, theres going to be a hundred youtube vids and articles calling it political SJW nonsense but fuck them. My only real complaint is the jumpy camera work during the fight scenes, it getting more noticable and annoying.
How do they conclude the film itself is SJW stuff? Not Larson's comments, but the film. At best, and its a stretch its you have Carol overcome all those barriers since she was a girl from her father saying you can't drag race properly, to those other military cadets saying she doesn't have what it takes, and assuming sexism as the cause. Of course it can also be the hero overcoming adversity whether its sexism, racism or not being physically powerful like Steve Rogers.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I thought Goose would have something to do with Fury's eye from the start. Also, Goose's hairballs are a lot less messy than my cat's.

Liked the how/why of Carol's powers. She's still part-Kree, due to the blood transfusion mentioned, but she was always far more powerful than the average Kree, and this is a better explanation. I will also point out that the Blackberry stopped transmitting just before she got into Avengers HQ. My guess, it stopped once she hit atmosphere, and there's now a big hole blown SOMEWHERE (unless Fury thought ahead and gave Carol full emergency access to all Avengers/SHIELD security).

Stan Lee cameos for the opening Marvel Studios was perfect. So was him on the train with the "MallRats" script. I understand Kevin Smith saw that and broke down crying. No wonder Brie smiled at him.

Ronan seems to have been a Kree General before he knelt to Thanatos, which was probably after Carol ended (with prejudice) the Kree War on Skrulls.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Saw it this morning at local cheap theater. It by no means was a bad movie, it was not a great movie but I enjoyed it and was happy to have scene it. The Kree gang should have used some development as the only three we got were the Leader the Sniper and the Sword guy. Did they have names? Who knows if they said them because if they did I forgot, heck gun to my head I have no idea what the leader's name was. I vaguely remember the Skrull leader's name I think Talos? But that might be Skyrim, pretty sure it is Skyrim.

Also another line or two about Goose like "don't be fooled it's an ambush predator" or explain where it came from would be appreciated, is it intelligent?

And I'll match Fury's 50$ I want to see a Skrull filing cabinet

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

It was a good movie. Nothing spectacular, but good. There was a lot of 1990's jokes in it. I laughed and chuckled for 10 minutes on the loading screen joke. Even said aloud in the theater "young folks will never know the struggle" to extra laughs of surrounding folks. It's a worthy addition to the MCU, and a good prologue to Avenger End Time.

But having Danvers being someone who can whoop up on Thannos, I"m not sure they set that up. Her power comes from the Teseract. How would she be different than Vision or the Scarlet Witch in that regards? Sure, they did better against Thannos than others but still couldn't beat him.

I wonder if the 'reset button' is getting a hero(ine) who is infused with the power of each infinity stone is the thing they are going for?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Saw it this afternoon. An enjoyable if not exceptional film, it kept me entertained which is it's primary function.

Incidentally, is it just me or do all of the MCU "origin" films have the same basic premise? Take character who thinks they have it all, give them a traumatic event that effectively ends their prior life but gives them a new perspective/new power to draw on, have them be betrayed by someone they trusted, then realise said power and beat down the opposition.

Because that basically sums up Iron Man, Thor, Doctor Strange, Black Panther and now Captain Marvel. The only odd one is Captain America, and I can't comment on Hulk's because I never actually saw that.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Isn't that pretty much the formula of a 'Hero's Journey'? So, yeah.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Mr Bean wrote: 2019-03-10 01:18pm Saw it this morning at local cheap theater. It by no means was a bad movie, it was not a great movie but I enjoyed it and was happy to have scene it. The Kree gang should have used some development as the only three we got were the Leader the Sniper and the Sword guy. Did they have names? Who knows if they said them because if they did I forgot, heck gun to my head I have no idea what the leader's name was. I vaguely remember the Skrull leader's name I think Talos? But that might be Skyrim, pretty sure it is Skyrim.

Also another line or two about Goose like "don't be fooled it's an ambush predator" or explain where it came from would be appreciated, is it intelligent?

And I'll match Fury's 50$ I want to see a Skrull filing cabinet
The sniper was Minerva, who was a kree scientist in the comics. I couldn't tell she was played by an Asian actress under all that makeup.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Knife wrote: 2019-03-10 02:17pm It was a good movie. Nothing spectacular, but good. There was a lot of 1990's jokes in it. I laughed and chuckled for 10 minutes on the loading screen joke. Even said aloud in the theater "young folks will never know the struggle" to extra laughs of surrounding folks. It's a worthy addition to the MCU, and a good prologue to Avenger End Time.

But having Danvers being someone who can whoop up on Thannos, I"m not sure they set that up. Her power comes from the Teseract. How would she be different than Vision or the Scarlet Witch in that regards? Sure, they did better against Thannos than others but still couldn't beat him.

I wonder if the 'reset button' is getting a hero(ine) who is infused with the power of each infinity stone is the thing they are going for?
Vision never really fought Thanos that I recall, but Scarlet Witch did hold off Thanos longer one on one than anyone else save maybe Strange and Stark, and that was while she was destroying the stone in Vision as well.

Putting Captain Marvel on that level would strike a good balance for a team movie, making her a significant player who could shift the tide without simply one-shotting Thanos anti-climactically.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

The bystanders on the train were pretty stupid, attempting to restrain Danvers even after the 'little old lady' she was apparently attacking was revealed to be far stronger and faster than her disguise suggested. While a departure from the norm, the fact they don't notice there was something amiss about her enemy is most odd.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-03-11 12:48pm The bystanders on the train were pretty stupid, attempting to restrain Danvers even after the 'little old lady' she was apparently attacking was revealed to be far stronger and faster than her disguise suggested. While a departure from the norm, the fact they don't notice there was something amiss about her enemy is most odd.
Humans can be very blind when it comes to Little Old Ladies. We are hardwired to protect those weaker, for the most part, and lil old ladies are seen as weaker.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Well if you are in a mood to see it there is a lot of feminism in this. Danvers is constantly mocked and belittled on earth and artificial kept down by authority. When she's set free she's extremely powerful and doesn't have to answer to know one.

She probably has the shortest learning curve most overt power use of anyone in the mcu. I don't dislike that but it was noticable and it didn't feel as triumphant as it could have done.

But there's a lot of great character work in the movie and I greatly enjoyed the Rambeaus and the emotional scene work.

I think Ronan was overkill though. And I laughed at that last scene before the credits. I bet that triggered the alt-right as much as anyone.