Game of Thrones Final Season Official Trailer.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Game of Thrones Final Season Official Trailer.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: Game of Thrones Final Season Official Trailer.

Post by Vympel »

- Dany and Jon are definitely going to ride dragons together
- Golden Company spotted
- Jaime fighting next to what looks like Podrick at Winterfell
- Varys and non-combatants hiding in the crypts

I'm getting excited.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Also, Cersei drinking wine, which points to a miscarriage.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Vympel wrote: 2019-03-06 08:10am- Dany and Jon are definitely going to ride dragons together
She already rode his dragon last season, if you know what I mean.
Alferd Packer wrote: 2019-03-06 11:37am Also, Cersei drinking wine, which points to a miscarriage.
Was she pregnant? I don't recall that...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

RogueIce wrote: 2019-03-07 12:02am
Vympel wrote: 2019-03-06 08:10am- Dany and Jon are definitely going to ride dragons together
She already rode his dragon last season, if you know what I mean.
Alferd Packer wrote: 2019-03-06 11:37am Also, Cersei drinking wine, which points to a miscarriage.
Was she pregnant? I don't recall that...
She told Tyrion that she was pregnant. However, that might have been a lie, as were her lies about joining their fight against the White Walkers. The real question is if they even know to not drink wine while pregnant, as she drank in the same scene she told Tyrion that she was pregnant.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Vympel wrote: 2019-03-06 08:10am - Dany and Jon are definitely going to ride dragons together
- Golden Company spotted
- Jaime fighting next to what looks like Podrick at Winterfell
- Varys and non-combatants hiding in the crypts

I'm getting excited.
Yup.

I'll be pretty disappointed (me and most of the rest of the fans) if we don't get a full-on areal dragon vs. dragons duel between the Night King Danny, and Jon.

I also hope we get to see the Golden Company's war elephants in action. :)

Looks like we're going to get a climactic battle at Winterfell, yes. I read somewhere that the show makers have said that it will be the largest battle in the series (apparently taking twice as long to film as the Battle of the Bastards), so I'm expecting something that will put Helm's Deep and Pellanor Fields to shame. Probably raising my expectations too high, but what can you do?

We see what looks like Podrick, Jaime, Brienne, and Jorah leading the foot against the White Walkers. Hopefully Jaime,

It'll be interesting to see the Jaime/Brienne reunion. It will be even more interesting to see the Jaime/Bran reunion. :twisted:
That's pretty tenuous, but regardless the child almost has to not be born, due to some fairly plot-central prophecies. Hoping they don't go the predictable "Cersei dies in childbirth" route. Ditto the "Daenarys dies in childbirth" route.

What I wonder is, how is Cersei going to stay relevant to the main plot? Because right now its looking like the climax is going to be in the North, and I doubt the season will have time to show the White Walkers fighting their way all the way down to King's Landing (maybe a raid on dragon back by the Night King?). Is Cersei going to come North at some point? It seems unlikely.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Here's an idea. And I totally expect that I'm wrong. What if the war against the White Walkers is resolved rather early, and most of the rest of the season is forging a lasting peace now that the main threat that kept them together is gone?

IE, you can win the war, but you still have to worry about losing the peace?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-03-08 03:18am Here's an idea. And I totally expect that I'm wrong. What if the war against the White Walkers is resolved rather early, and most of the rest of the season is forging a lasting peace now that the main threat that kept them together is gone?

That would be a very ballsy move to try something that against convention, but would run the risk of being disappointingly anti-climactic. At most, I can see the White Walkers going down in the second to last or early in the last episode, with most of the finale being devoted to tying up loose ends (like Star Trek: Deep Space Nine did IIRC).

Edit: It would have a certain symmetry if Cersei ended up being the last villain standing, though. Considering she was also the series' first antagonist.

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I've always thought that Cersei would be kind of a footnote. After the war in the North is resolved, The now super-battle-hardened veterans march south, faceroll the Golden Company and the remaining Lannister armies, siege the capital, and quickly depose Cersei. Or she blows up the Red Keep with herself in it as a final act of insanity/defiance. Whatever end Cersei meets, it's not going to be glorious--she'll just be a final, minor speedbump in the Targaryen restoration.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Alferd Packer wrote: 2019-03-08 11:00am I've always thought that Cersei would be kind of a footnote. After the war in the North is resolved, The now super-battle-hardened veterans march south, faceroll the Golden Company and the remaining Lannister armies, siege the capital, and quickly depose Cersei. Or she blows up the Red Keep with herself in it as a final act of insanity/defiance. Whatever end Cersei meets, it's not going to be glorious--she'll just be a final, minor speedbump in the Targaryen restoration.
That all makes sense, but it would be a very anti-climactic ending that might prove unsatisfying to a lot of viewers. Hence my skepticism.

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-03-08 03:26am
FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-03-08 03:18am Here's an idea. And I totally expect that I'm wrong. What if the war against the White Walkers is resolved rather early, and most of the rest of the season is forging a lasting peace now that the main threat that kept them together is gone?

That would be a very ballsy move to try something that against convention, but would run the risk of being disappointingly anti-climactic.
Babylon 5 did something similar, the Shadows and Vorlons leaving wasn't the end despite the previous three seasons leaving up to that. Even the end of the Clark regime had another season after it to show the fall out (although due to the way the show almost got cancelled resulted in the last season being rather choppy). I could certainly see the King of Winter going down in episode 2 and Cersei in say 4 and then still have an episode of two showing the longer term fall out of events maybe even the last episode being 20-30 years later particularly if they go with a 'nothing ever changes' theme.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

I’m surprised nobody spotted Tormund and Berrick seemingly walking around alive.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FireNexus wrote: 2019-03-09 10:18am I’m surprised nobody spotted Tormund and Berrick seemingly walking around alive.
Yeah, I figured they weren't dead, but the confirmation is nice.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

If a majority of fighting armies are up north, assuming the Lannister army is with Jammie, and are victorious against the Night King; then I assume we can resolve the Cerci story line without a great battle. Cerci being killed by her own machinations would be proper. Her getting into a scuff with the Mountain being her backup right when the Night King is killed/defeated and all 'undead' drop to ash including the Mountain leaving the Queen undefended in a fight would serve.

While the Reach is in tatters and fighting men gone, Dorne never had it's army touched. Still could have them come up and seige Kings Landing. I guess there is the total redemption and/or circle of life thing for Jammie and have him kill the Mad Queen?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Knife wrote: 2019-03-10 04:58pm While the Reach is in tatters and fighting men gone, Dorne never had it's army touched. Still could have them come up and seige Kings Landing. I guess there is the total redemption and/or circle of life thing for Jammie and have him kill the Mad Queen?
I've also suspected as much. It's the perfect conclusion to his arc: does he kill Cersei to save the city, as he did with Aerys, or does he choose to die in the arms of the woman he loves? Either is, in my view, a valid choice, and each fits the narrative. Right now I lean towards the latter, but I would not be disappointed in either outcome.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Jamie could stab Cersei and then himself, so she saves the city, and still dies in her arms.

Or, he could hold her, and then jump out the window, ala Tomlin.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'd rather we avoid overt romanticization of murder/suicide. But yeah, I think they're heading toward Jaime killing Cersei, though its possible they'll throw a surprise twist in.

Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-03-07 03:12am She told Tyrion that she was pregnant. However, that might have been a lie, as were her lies about joining their fight against the White Walkers. The real question is if they even know to not drink wine while pregnant, as she drank in the same scene she told Tyrion that she was pregnant.
It's been a while since I've seen that episode, but that's not what I recall. I thought the scene in which she reveals her pregnancy begins with her refusing a drink that Tyrion offers, and he figures out that she is pregnant because he knows that pregnancy is the only reason Cersei would have to refrain from wine.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2019-03-13 12:13am
FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-03-07 03:12am She told Tyrion that she was pregnant. However, that might have been a lie, as were her lies about joining their fight against the White Walkers. The real question is if they even know to not drink wine while pregnant, as she drank in the same scene she told Tyrion that she was pregnant.
It's been a while since I've seen that episode, but that's not what I recall. I thought the scene in which she reveals her pregnancy begins with her refusing a drink that Tyrion offers, and he figures out that she is pregnant because he knows that pregnancy is the only reason Cersei would have to refrain from wine.
After rewatching the scene, you're right. So, I'm curious as to whether if it was an act or if she really is pregnant.