Jim Butcher's non-Dresden works: recommendations?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Jim Butcher's non-Dresden works: recommendations?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

So, I've read (or listened to on audiobook) nearly all of the Dresden stories at one time or another. There are plenty of criticisms I could make of the series (mainly what I feel is sometimes sexist treatment of female characters, and some vagaries or contradictions in plot, character, and how the magic system works). But I'll give Butcher this- he writes both witty banter and epic action very well, and he's managed to keep his series fairly fresh and engaging over 15 novels and dozens of short stories, creating some very memorable characters in the process.

However, I've never read any of his non-Dresden work. I'm looking for a new fantasy or sci-fi series to try, and I'm wondering if anyone here has read Butcher's non-Dresden works, and would you or would you not recommend them?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Jim Butcher's non-Dresden works: recommendations?

Post by LadyTevar »

Codex Alera. Butcher was challenged to write a novel with Roman Legionaries and Pokemon. He came up with Furies of Calderon, a land were the human empire is based on Romans, and nearly every human has a 'Fury', a elemental sidekick that gives them access to magic. Gets very political at points, with invasions and war and missing heirs.

The Aeronaut’s Windlass is the first novel in the Cinder Spires series. Very Steampunk, with crystal-powered weapons and flying ships, above an alien landscape. Gets into politics between city-states. Also has intelligent felines, which is a bonus in my book.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Heavy political world-building is a definitely a bonus. At least if its done well.

Edit: I'd probably go for Alera over Cinder Spires. I've never really got into Steampunk, for some reason.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-31 10:10pm Heavy political world-building is a definitely a bonus. At least if its done well.

Edit: I'd probably go for Alera over Cinder Spires. I've never really got into Steampunk, for some reason.
The good news? Codex Alera is a completed series. You can read them all without waiting for the next in the series. The Cinder Spires has only one novel out.

Butcher still has Chapter Previews up for Codex Alera (one for each novel), and for Aeronaught's Windlass, the first in the Cinder Spire series. You can find those HERE, under the dropdown menu marked "Books".

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

The first Alera book is pretty rough, with a scene I found gratuitous and disturbing, but the series picks right up in the second book. It's worth reading.

Then maybe try Mistborn by Sanderson?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I've heard good things about the Alera books but I never finished the first one. I did enjoy the first book of his steampunk series, but so far there is only the one book and it's not going to be continued until he, you know. Finishes Peace Talks.

There are sentient, talking (in their own language which humans are capable of learning) cats. One of the protagonists is a cat and many scenes are written from his perspective. Every second or third line of his narration revolves around how smart the cat is and how stupid the humans are. And how much better the cat is and how lame the humans are by comparison. And how much better and smarter the cat is than other cats. And wondering what stupid thing the humans are doing now and reflecting on how generous the cat is for putting up with them. And so on.

As you can imagine this comes off as pretty authentic.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Authentic maybe but it sounds grating if you are not exaggerating. I had my fill of that with Dresden's cat Mister being mentioned once a book.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-01-02 08:54am Authentic maybe but it sounds grating if you are not exaggerating. I had my fill of that with Dresden's cat Mister being mentioned once a book.
It's a book full of big personalities, exaggerated in ways that The Dresden Files aren't, and you'll either fall in love with them or loathe them. I personally enjoyed it in audiobook form but I'd recommend reading a chapter or two at the library before making a purchase.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2019-01-02 08:54am Authentic maybe but it sounds grating if you are not exaggerating. I had my fill of that with Dresden's cat Mister being mentioned once a book.
I mean, I guess I'm exaggerating in the sense that it's more like every fifth or sixth line. So not by much.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Jub wrote: 2019-01-02 07:46pm
It's a book full of big personalities, exaggerated in ways that The Dresden Files aren't, and you'll either fall in love with them or loathe them. I personally enjoyed it in audiobook form but I'd recommend reading a chapter or two at the library before making a purchase.
As I said... you can read the first 5 chapters of Aeronaught's Windlass on his website. Read before you buy.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-01-03 12:31amAs I said... you can read the first 5 chapters of Aeronaught's Windlass on his website. Read before you buy.
I thought it was just a chapter, hence the library comment. I've honestly never actually used the feature because I'm confident that I'll like pretty well anything Jim writes.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Aeronaut's Windlass is, as noted, full of big personalities and big ideas. I'm not overly thrilled with the intelligent, talking cats, but I did find the Etherealists, and the odd side effects of their work on their minds, intriguing. As others have said, read some chapters before you buy it if you can.

I've known one or two people who liked the Codex Alera series better than the Dresden Files. I put it between Dresdan and Aeronaut's Windlass. For Alera, in some ways I liked the world building more than the main antagonists. For Aeronaut's I like the characters better than the constructed world, which for my brain at least doesn't work as well as the other ones Butcher has built. Again, if you can read a few chapters first you'll have a better idea of whether or not you'll like the series.

I still think the The Dresdan Files are Butcher's best work, but that's my opinion, your mileage may vary.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I need to state the origin of Codex Alera because I heard it from Jim at Dragon Con a few years back and it's just great.

It started as a bet. He was on a writers forum and the big debate was between craft and ideas, which went into making a good story. Jim argued for the craft. A poster set up a challenge to give a writer a bad idea and they would write a story for it and post it on the site.

Jim, "Being a little arrogant" said "I'll take two."

The two ideas were: Lost Roman Legion (Done to death, nothing new added, etc. as the reasons it was a bad idea), and Pokemon.

Given we've recently celebrated Pokemon's 20th Aniversary with much fanfair, I guess we can chalk things up to opinions.

So he broke them down, researched them, took them to their basics, played with it, and eventually said "I'm gonna throw this by my agent, actually, if that goes through, I'll let you know."

ANd thus, Codex Alera was born.

Gyrados is all that remains of the hint of Pokemon.

Sorry, I just LOVE that story!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-01-03 04:30am Aeronaut's Windlass is, as noted, full of big personalities and big ideas. I'm not overly thrilled with the intelligent, talking cats, but I did find the Etherealists, and the odd side effects of their work on their minds, intriguing. As others have said, read some chapters before you buy it if you can.
I liked the cats, but that's just me. However, I do want to see more of the Etherealists and how they interact with the crystals, because what we do see is absolutely fascinating. Butcher also left a wealth of information hidden in what's at the bottom of the Spires. Not to mention the how and why of the Spires, of the Crystals, and the Mist itself. So much he can build on world-wise, even before you add in little black books and other political games.
He needs to write the next one faster, dammit.

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

I like to say that the cat arrogance had a huge pay off when he became extremely worried and fearful for his human , although it takes a rereading of the whole subplot to really appreciate it.

Also, my first Butcher novel was a Spiderman novel... He really really loves that orphan theme .
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2019-01-03 04:36pm ANd thus, Codex Alera was born.
Then, by way of an encore, he bolted on werewolves and zerg.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Vendetta wrote: 2019-01-05 09:55am
Majin Gojira wrote: 2019-01-03 04:36pm ANd thus, Codex Alera was born.
Then, by way of an encore, he bolted on werewolves and zerg.
AND IT WORKED!!!!