Dresden Files may be getting a new TV adaptation.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Dresden Files may be getting a new TV adaptation.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.slashfilm.com/dresden-files-tv-series/
The time has come to summon another Dresden Files TV series. The fantasy-mystery series created by Jim Butcher previously hit the small screen in the form of a now-cancelled Sci-Fi Channel TV show. Now, Fox21 Television Studios have optioned the rights to attempt to bring Butcher’s books to life again. The book series follows private investigator/wizard Harry Dresden as he investigates supernatural goings-on in Chicago.

Deadline reports Fox21 Television Studios is working to turn The Dresden Files into yet another TV show. The book series by Jim Butcher kicked-off in 2000 with Storm Front. Since then, Butcher has penned 15 novels within the Dresden universe, as well as a wealth of short stories. There have also been graphic novels and a roleplaying game. And yes, there already was a Dresden Files TV series, which ran for one season in 2007.

Dresden Files TV Series

In the Dresden Files, magic is real, and so are vampires, demons, ghosts, faeries, werewolves, and other supernatural creatures. Harry Dresden is “the world’s only consulting wizard, accepting supernatural cases from both human and nonhuman clients, as well as the Chicago PD’s Special Investigation unit. As the series progresses, Dresden takes on an increasingly important role in the supernatural world at large, as he works to protect the general public, making getting by as a working wizard and private investigator difficult for him. He finds himself facing off against an increasing variety of creatures (including other wizards), while facing the realization that his various cases may all be tied together behind the scenes and that his role might be even greater than he is willing to admit.”

Other details from the books: “Large portions of the globe (such as much of Central and South America) are mentioned as being largely under the control of supernatural factions. The White Council is an organization of human wizards, noted to wield significant economic power in the world, along with their supernatural power. Each species in the series (humans, faeries, vampires, etc.) has its own political and societal rules and organizations. The human wizards depend on the White Council, while faeries may belong to either of two Faerie Courts, or none at all. Vampires may belong to any of four vampire courts.”

All of this sounds perfect for a TV series, which is probably what the producers of the previous TV series (one of whom was Nicolas Cage!) thought as well. That said, the 2007 show differed significantly from Butcher’s novels. “The show is not the books,” the author said. “It is not meant to follow the same story. It is meant as an alternate world, where the overall background and story-world is similar, but not all the same things happen. The show is not attempting to recreate the books on a chapter-by-chapter or even story-by-story basis.” Perhaps this new series will stick closer to the source material? And perhaps that will ensure success where the previous incarnation failed? Time will tell.
Yeah, I'm not thrilled by the article treating "not changing anything from the books" as a recipe for success, mostly because I'm sick to death of "WAAAAAH, they changed it so its RUIIIINNED" fanboy entitlement and knee-jerk worship of the status quo in general. I'm also not thrilled about Fox doing it, because a) their news division is basically Quislings Incorporated, and b) Fox has a reputation of being the place where promising speculative fiction shows go to die. Still, I'll give the show a chance, if it happens.

Ultimately, I look for the same things as I would in any series: continuity/consistent plot/character development, subtlety, a likeable protagonist, good actors, visuals, and music, a sense of believability to the story/characters/world, and an ability to evoke genuine emotion in the audience.

For Dresden specifically, I basically have just three wishes:

-That the cast someone as Harry who can embody the different aspects of his personality effectively: that being that he's an ordinary blue-collar (even somewhat geeky/awkward) guy, who turns into a terrifying force of nature when those he cares about are threatened. That he is tempted by darkness (both for selfish reasons and in the interests of the "greater good" and is in a constant tug of war between the temptation to embrace power and the need to preserve his own identity. And, of course, that he is a wise ass. :D

-That they have Michael (or a similar character) to act as the foil/straight man for Harry. The absence of this was the greatest failure of the previous show, in my opinion.

-That they do a better job of handling their female characters than Butcher has at times (to be fair, some of the objectification of women in the series is just because its written from Harry's POV, not necessarily reflective of Butcher's views, but there's no excuse for sidelining Murphy in Skin Game).

-That they can capture the epic scope of the action. I have a lot more confidence that TV can do this now, with Game of Thrones as a precedent. But the studio needs to be willing to invest in the budget and talent to make it happen.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Dresden Files may be getting a new TV adaptation.

Post by LadyTevar »

If they take their cues from the guys who did the Harry Dresden Films (tm) on Facebook, they'll do fine.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

That's four wishes, TRR

-

I kind of liked the old show's take of loosely inspired by the books not a direct adaption but I know a lot of people would prefer to see the books on screen.

Expecting it have the faithfulness/production values of GoT though sounds like a recipe for disappointment.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

If you going to do Dresden Files as a TV show making changes from the books is not bad, misunderstanding the natural dynamics that Jim Butcher created is bad. You don't have to go book by book or scene by scene and you can cut some of the side plots for content but the Dresden files is writing from Dresden's perspective, so you need a excellent Dresden to start with and one who can give asides to the camera dead pan.

"The Building Was On Fire, And It Wasn't My Fault.

Or his interactions with Michael

“Holy shit," I breathed. "Hellhounds."
"Harry," Michael said sternly. "You know I hate it when you swear."
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

Or the type of obvious voiceover lines like this

"Most of the bad guys in the real world don't know that they are bad guys. You don't get a flashing warning sign that you're about to damn yourself. It sneaks up on you when you aren't looking"

Get me a Dresden who can do it's not my fault, get the interpersonal interactions and heck get James Marsters in to do Bob the Skull and I'm set.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Hell, if it was an animated series, Marsters could do the whole cast.

For live action, he's probably too old to pull of Harry now, but voice work, yeah. He'd make a good Bob.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-12-26 03:51am That's four wishes, TRR

-

I kind of liked the old show's take of loosely inspired by the books not a direct adaption but I know a lot of people would prefer to see the books on screen.

Expecting it have the faithfulness/production values of GoT though sounds like a recipe for disappointment.
Four, yeah.

Admittedly, measuring any show against GoT is setting the bar really high, as in terms of acting and visuals it is arguably the strongest series on television today if not in television history. Certainly one of the strongest. GoT compares favourably in my opinion to the LotR films (one of which co-holds the record for Oscar wins IIRC) for adapting a fantasy novel series to a visual medium. That said, it does prove that you can do epic on television in a way that simply wasn't possible in the past. Though a lower budget show can go far on good acting and writing (see Buffy, Firefly, a lot of Who).

I don't think it would be wise, or possible, to try to follow their "a season a book" model for Dresden, though, because the number of speculative fiction series that have lasted upwards of fifteen seasons is, to my knowledge, exactly one- that being Doctor Who (which has a unique premise that allows it to constantly reinvent itself and recast its lead). A looser adaptation might be better. Perhaps something closer to the typical comic book superhero movie, which draws on various comics storylines over the history of a long-running character like Batman, while telling its own story.

A lower-budget adaptation might also do well to focus on the less monster-y and effects-heavy villains and give more screen-time to the more human-looking ones, such as Nicodemus (when not heavily using Anduriel), Marcone, and Nemesis (who would be perfect for a limited-budget TV villain, as its shtick is possessing people, meaning you can reuse actors, keep bringing the villain back even if its killed, and play it for maximum drama and paranoia).