New Dresden short story- Merry Christmas!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

New Dresden short story- Merry Christmas!

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Jim Butcher posted a new Christmas-themed Dresden short online. Apparently the resulting traffic crashed his site.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12hN ... Jg/preview
For my readers who, for whatever reason, aren't sleeping tonight. Merry Christmas, you magnificent weirdos.

-Jim
Okay, this almost makes up for not getting a Doctor Who Christmas special this year. Thank you for the present Mr. Butcher, it was a lovely surprise. :D
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: New Dresden short story- Merry Christmas!

Post by LadyTevar »

No wonder this broke the website.
*wipes tears* Best Gift Ever.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Quite touching, though not as polished as the full-length stories, I felt.

Should probably add: Spoiler Warning for Peace Talks, since its pretty clear that this takes place after the next novel, and foreshadows some stuff that's going to happen in it.

Edit: I really like how fatherhood continues to make Harry grow as a character.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

One of the things that keeps me reading is that Harry actually does grow as a character instead of remaining exactly the same.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-25 09:36pm Okay, this almost makes up for not getting a Doctor Who Christmas special this year.
Not to worry, there's a New Year special instead — it's just a week later than usual. I'm intrigued, from what I saw in the trailer at the end of the last episode.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

SpottedKitty wrote: 2018-12-26 04:50pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-25 09:36pm Okay, this almost makes up for not getting a Doctor Who Christmas special this year.
Not to worry, there's a New Year special instead — it's just a week later than usual. I'm intrigued, from what I saw in the trailer at the end of the last episode.
To me the trailer practically screams "Daleks", especially since I don't think they've tangled with this Doctor yet. But that seems too obvious if they're trying to keep it a surprise.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Not to nitpick, but now that I think about it, I'm surprised that Spoiler
Michael's angelic security detail would let Mab over the property line.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

You shouldn't be. Spoiler
They apparently have no problem with Molly coming over for dinner.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Regarding the individuals in the spoilers - they could do that because

1) they were not coming as enemies, and

2) both of them were discharging the duties of a lord to a vassal

As the portly gentleman has demonstrated in the past, such an entity can have multiple forms and roles. The younger woman attending dinner would be coming in her role/form as daughter of the household, not in her "day" job.

There are probably heavy constraints on what any of those three could do in the household, and crossing the threshold would probably be contingent on them behaving themselves in the permitted roles.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Spoiler
Bear in mind that there was a full-blown monster under the bed in the Carpenter household.
And the Harry and Maggie at the zoo story confirms it.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote: 2018-12-27 07:59am Regarding the individuals in the spoilers - they could do that because

1) they were not coming as enemies, and

2) both of them were discharging the duties of a lord to a vassal

As the portly gentleman has demonstrated in the past, such an entity can have multiple forms and roles. The younger woman attending dinner would be coming in her role/form as daughter of the household, not in her "day" job.

There are probably heavy constraints on what any of those three could do in the household, and crossing the threshold would probably be contingent on them behaving themselves in the permitted roles.
Yeah, smart guess is that the angels just know when a supernatural entity has malevolent intent (angels have Intellectus, yes?). So Mab can go on the property as long as she's not starting shit, but if she did she would get shown the door very quickly and possibly fatally.

I just remember Goodman Grey being afraid of setting foot on the property in Skin Game, though. But perhaps that was just excess paranoia/personal discomfort on his part.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Mad had a duty to discharge towards her vassal, Goodman Grey did not. It could be that the angels were compelled to let Mab in regardless because she had a duty to discharge, and as long as she was doing that she could pass. Note that when said duty was completed she did leave pretty promptly.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I doubt that all angels have anything like Intellectus. They don't really need anything beyond good but imperfect knowledge derived by standing sentry. And Goodman Grey had no particular reason to know that for sure regardless, so he had good reason to both feel uncomfortable at the prospect of stepping onto the Carpenters' property (note: angelic protection begins at the fence. It overlaps with the threshold but extends beyond it) and to not want to test the guardians' restraint.