Avengers: Endgame First Trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Avengers: Endgame First Trailer

Post by Solauren »

OR....

Strange LIED about how many times they won, to get the others to go completely with his plan and direction, so he could direct them on the path that leads to the greatest number of future 'victories'.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Maybe they just finally persuade Thanos there is another solution possible, instead of "we don't trade lives "nonsense? :lol:

I mean, none of the good characters offered a good rebuke to Mr. Walking Trolley Problem, meaning none of the scriptwriters could offer anything else but a global genocide as a solution to population pressure and overexploitation of the universe by Mr. Tony Stark and his capitalist brethren. :lol:

Maybe they will overwhelm Thanos like, on a philosophical level in part II?

Nah. Who am I kidding. There will be punches and explosions. Violence. Solves. Everything.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Oh man the difficult philosophical debate needed to tell if killing half of everyone is wrong. I had no idea.

And the action film will come with action? Terrible.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'm stealing Mr. Walking Trolley Problem. :lol:

It'll probably come down a character with either sufficient racial natural ability to use the gauntlet, or someone who just has triumphant will. That person will undo the damage caused in the last film, but not much more because reasons.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Despite my sarcasm, Pital is right that the film doesn't engage fully with the moral dilemma. Especially when Strange and Thanos talk. Strange could have pointed out the logical problems with Thanos' plan and the other things he could do to solve the problem without mass murder once Thanos has unlimited power. And Thanos could have rejected this to underline he's the mad titan obsessed with prove he was right all along.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-12-22 10:23am Despite my sarcasm, Pital is right that the film doesn't engage fully with the moral dilemma. Especially when Strange and Thanos talk. Strange could have pointed out the logical problems with Thanos' plan and the other things he could do to solve the problem without mass murder once Thanos has unlimited power. And Thanos could have rejected this to underline he's the mad titan obsessed with prove he was right all along.
While this is true, it was more of a failure of the script rather than a deliberate effort to support Thanos' actions, which Pital (as per his norm) seems to be implying. IIRC the directors, writers and actors have all gone on record to say that Thanos is fully capable of solving the universe's problems via other methods, but his obsession is what is blinding him.

But no, the movie is all a blatant capitalist conspiracy to get the American public into a frenzy and have them purge half the world. :roll:

"Ceterum autem censeo America esse delendam" is basically all of Pital's posts in a nutshell.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

When I criticize the MCU, it is done lovingly.

After all, Thanos is one of the most important characters to hit the screen in years. He made Infinity War what it is. Most heroes were either fully known entities at this point or even in their dying thralls (Iron Man had been through the grinder of a third film already, not to mention Avengers 2... clearly the shine was wearing off).

You guys are way too serious.

Is pop culture a reflection of the insecurities and fears of the ruling class? Sure thing. Is this some nefarious American plot? Nah.

In fact the greatness of Infinity War was that for a slit second, the film could transcend the never-ending bend towards painting everything and everyone as AMERICA and become a universal story.

Part II might just not be so lucky.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

It would be interesting to see some states in the MCU having a mixed if not positive reaction to the finger snap, while others are completely non-functional due to lack of population.

Though there probably isn't enough time for that to be properly conveyed.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Avengers 4 should just be called "Avengers: The Leftovers" and show how a failed, broken Captain America cannot even function as a small town sherriff or decent human being in the aftermath of the Departure, and slowly begins to unravel after a cult devoted to Dr. Strange shows up.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

NeoGoomba wrote: 2018-12-23 08:39am Avengers 4 should just be called "Avengers: The Leftovers" and show how a failed, broken Captain America cannot even function as a small town sherriff or decent human being in the aftermath of the Departure, and slowly begins to unravel after a cult devoted to Dr. Strange shows up.
If you kick it up a notch and have two rival cults- one devoted to Strange and the other dedicated to Thanos, you'd have enough for an entire series. It sounds like the sort of thing that could be explored in the comics, if they haven't already.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't want to see the heroes (those that are left) reduced to ineffectual failures or grim dark, but the world should definitely be fucked six ways to Sunday by half the population disappearing. Religious cults claiming its the rapture, a cult of Thanos or two, the economy collapsed along with the ecosystem, every city on fire from crashing airplanes and failing power plants, mass suicides, countries that emerged more intact attacking those that didn't, everyone pointing fingers at Wakanda because they were the ones fighting Thanos, and they're actually probably one of the less fucked-up countries...

Basically, "Endgame" and the next season or half-season of Agents of SHIELD should take place on Mad Max Earth: the MCU version.

Edit: That would also nicely undercut the idea that Thanos's actions were for the greater good.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Trailer # 2

Assuming I linked the right one, trying to avoid watching these things in an attempt not to get overhyped.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-12-22 10:23am Despite my sarcasm, Pital is right that the film doesn't engage fully with the moral dilemma. Especially when Strange and Thanos talk. Strange could have pointed out the logical problems with Thanos' plan and the other things he could do to solve the problem without mass murder once Thanos has unlimited power. And Thanos could have rejected this to underline he's the mad titan obsessed with prove he was right all along.
That whole exchange is nothing more than a quick re-cap for moviegoers who drank their gallon-sized Large Dr Pepper and are just returning from the restroom. There's no logical reason for Strange to banter with Thanos at all. He already knows what Thanos is planning to do and Thanos has no need to explain himself to the wizard.