You're in charge of reforming mad scientists (RAR)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

You're in charge of reforming mad scientists (RAR)

Post by FaxModem1 »

Congratulations, you're in charge of a department within SHIELD, the DEO, or some other fictional comic book government entity. Your main assignment, read case files on caught and defeated mad scientists, lab accidents, etc. Then write recommendation on what to do with this phenomenon.

Standard procedure seems to be putting them into prison and throwing away the key, until they break out again to fight the hero again in a later story. Seeing as how this is expensive for the government in keeping such brilliant people under lock and key, they want an alternate solution on what to do with such people. Especially as mad scientists are becoming a more prominent thing in their world.

What's your recommendation for people such as Dr. Sivana, Otto Octavius, Norman Osborn, Lex Luthor, Dr. Connors, Kirk Langstrom, etc?

What do you do with people whose mad science led them to crime? What do you do in a world where after a certain amount of brilliance, comes madness?

IE, what if the in-universe governments took notice that every scientist in their world was starting to go mad and become some sort of menace to society? What should they be doing?
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: You're in charge of reforming mad scientists (RAR)

Post by LaCroix »

For the likes of Octavius, it's easy - put him in a lab with proper funding and supervision. You can even turn a profit with his inventions.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Mr. Freeze (Batman/DC) - Proper lab and funding, provided he agrees to share all patients, and work on more then just curing his wife.
Right off the bat (pun intended) his ice weapons would be big sellers for fire departments and law enforcement.

Fire? Spray your way in, get the people out, and then freeze it all solid. You probably just saved millions in property damage.
Crime? Well, telling them to freeze just took new meaning, and if you freeze their legs to the ground, they can't run. There is now little reason to shot to kill.

Catwoman (Batman/DC) - Full pardon, but now she works for U.S Intelligence. Her job: Be Catwoman, but you're doing it against foreign governments.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Dr Connors had a psychotic break as the Lizard. Resolve that, possibly with some sort of laser assissted brain bisection and he'd be his old self.

Norman Osborne - again, psychotic break due to combat drugs. More laser!

Lex Luthor - some sort of ego redirection program? Put him into politics or the un?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2018-10-19 03:49am Lex Luthor - some sort of ego redirection program? Put him into politics or the un?
Your solution to a egomaniac who desires power at the cost of anyone who gets in his way is to have him run for office? :wtf:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2018-10-19 03:49am Lex Luthor - some sort of ego redirection program? Put him into politics or the un?
Please. Do you know how much power he'd have to give up to be President?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Didn't he become President at some point?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

In the comics I think. I was quoting The JLU cartoon of yesteryear.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It depends on whether they even want to rejoin society and whether there is a chance in hell of rehabilitation.

You can create some sort of high-budget, high-risk but high-reward program where you reverse-engineer their technology for public use or publish their science. You can work it into a sentence reduction and rehabilitation program. But it heavily depends on whether they even want that.

Remember that most of these guys gone to crime (and especially SUPER-CRIME) for a reason. Some of them for rational reasons, some by circumstance, some compelled by forces beyond their control (especially those who became their own lab accidents), some are simply committed to a destructive cause but some... some just don't care about being a member of society .

Take Scarecrow. He does what he does because he gets shits and giggles out of terrifying people. He is one of those classic villains that do not WANT to be redeemed. He is doing what he wants to do with himself and wouldn't really go back to being a professor, if he even can be. He is one person that you definitely do not want to ever go near lab equipment at all.

The other question really is how you plan on rehabilitating these people. One of the reasons these guys keep doing the scheme-super crime-superhero-jail rigamarole is because more regular means of psychological counseling and therapy are ineffective. Several have medical means far outside understood science or have conditions you don't even understand.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Imperial528 wrote: 2018-10-19 11:08am Didn't he become President at some point?
At least once, if not two or three times, in the comics (granted that at least one of those was probably an Elseworlds story). The canon one was sometime in the mid 00s, I'm not sure when he was actually elected but he finally showed his true colours in Superman/Batman when he pulled out the ol' battle-suit and injected himself full of Kryptonite.

It wasn't great. Superman/Batman normally wasn't canon, but they made that storyline canon. Not a great call IMO. Terrible artwork, too.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Here's one question that I would like addressed, what would the proper course of action be with not just the already caught mad scientists, but the not yet emerged mad scientists?

Because in such comic book worlds, these things happen like clockwork. What could be done with such a segment of the populace? In Marvel, they went with Harrison Bergeron-style Registration, wherein anyone who excelled at athletics or intelligence was drafted into the Initiative or jailed. On the other hand, these people are so abundant that they can create such technological wonders with what seems rather common store-bought or easily obtained by grants items, so as to ignoring them leads to peril for society.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Do I have access to Neural Upload technology? (i.e stick them in computers)
Because for some, like Mr. Freeze, while funding would work, others, I think putting them into a computer, and then reprogramming them, might be a better approach.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-10-19 03:35pm At least once, if not two or three times, in the comics (granted that at least one of those was probably an Elseworlds story). The canon one was sometime in the mid 00s, I'm not sure when he was actually elected but he finally showed his true colours in Superman/Batman when he pulled out the ol' battle-suit and injected himself full of Kryptonite.

It wasn't great. Superman/Batman normally wasn't canon, but they made that storyline canon. Not a great call IMO. Terrible artwork, too.
LEX 2000 was always canon - it showed up in the main superman stories of 2000-2001 (Action 773 was one of them).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Solauren wrote: 2018-10-20 02:17pm Do I have access to Neural Upload technology? (i.e stick them in computers)
Because for some, like Mr. Freeze, while funding would work, others, I think putting them into a computer, and then reprogramming them, might be a better approach.
Is that technology that's in Marvel and DC? If it is, and the US government of that world can get a hold of it, it's possible.

If they can't, no can do. You'll have to pursue another option.

Though, that's a rather evil option, isn't it? Would you consider the equivalent of lobotomizing people a valid tactic on those who are brilliant but destructive?
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-10-26 01:25am
Solauren wrote: 2018-10-20 02:17pm Do I have access to Neural Upload technology? (i.e stick them in computers)
Is that technology that's in Marvel and DC? If it is, and the US government of that world can get a hold of it, it's possible.

If they can't, no can do. You'll have to pursue another option.

Though, that's a rather evil option, isn't it? Would you consider the equivalent of lobotomizing people a valid tactic on those who are brilliant but destructive?
In the MCU Arnim Zola was uploaded into a computer in the 70s. (Winter Soldier)

So at least there they have it.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

There are three problems with this option.
  1. The technology might not be available despite it existing, most likely because it is "mad science" territory where you need a genius just to work the thing. This is assuming the equipment isn't wrecked by a superhero, doesn't have hidden security features that bite you in the ass or doesn't do something like summon demons from another world. "Or something" is a legitimate worry here and remember, the builder probably won't cooperate.
  2. You assume that you can safely "reprogram" neural uploads. Or that doing so would be the easiest method.
  3. There is the problem of how would the law interpret you "uploading" the villains. Remember, you can't just kill them or do the equivalent of killing them. Otherwise, they wouldn't be bothering to put ridiculously-dangerous super-villains in jail they keep escaping from. Making virtual copies is not what the public wants. What they want is to render the supervillains safe for society while preserving as much of their abilities as possible. Containment is your first priority here.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Looking back, just how many of these villains are just in seeking of funding, and so are resorting to crime because of it? Would something as simple as more science grants reduce the number of mad science crimes, or would it increase it?
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I doubt it would be that simple.

Again, you have a large variety. Some of are just crazy geniuses that know "mundane" science and weaponize it or abuse it or have access to above-average tech.
Credo!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I don't see a one size fits all approach working for sure, the level of nuts and the reasons are very variable, some of them only seem to have gone crazy for lack of research funding in the first place. Seems like targeting alternative energy would be the best place to focus them in general, since it has widespread applications and should personally appeal to most of them.

But the whole madman part... god is anything they design bound to have cartoon like drawbacks or costs, the best thing to do is probably ship them to the moon from the get go so whatever they do... it can only blowup the moon.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Sea Skimmer wrote: 2019-01-21 11:48pm it can only blowup the moon.
Which will wipe out a couple of ecosystems on earth...

Put them on a space station in a really high orbit - Supes could easily put some 747 sized modules up there, and build a nice station for them. It also makes escape less of an issue.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

LaCroix wrote: 2019-01-24 05:46am Which will wipe out a couple of ecosystems on earth...
We have others! Also realistically that highly depends on how blown up it is, the moon could get a giant crater and it would change less on earth then global warming already is because much of the mass would collect back onto the moon's surface.
Put them on a space station in a really high orbit - Supes could easily put some 747 sized modules up there, and build a nice station for them. It also makes escape less of an issue.
And let them be able to drop doomsday devices directly onto the earth's surface? No thank you. At the least the station needs to be in moon orbit where we get some kind of gravity well based protection for the earth and a lot of warning time of anything unauthorized approaching so we can destroy it with nuclear anti satellite missiles.

I'd say put them in solar orbit but then they might figure out a way to blowup the sun.

A side issue is I think being in zero gee and tight confines is only going to drive them into a more depressed-more insane kind of mood and were supposed to at least try to reform them. Placing them in the weak gravity well of the moon, where you can kinda walk around, and where large tunnel complexes could in theory be constructed at low cost as living space seems a lot more healthy. Any kind of remotely realistic spacecraft is going to be claustrophobic to say the least.

If we have the budget for some kind of giant rotary gravity based space station that's a different story, but I'm not sure I want to put a bunch of mad scientists on such a thing if it can be built.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It may be better to create a relatively low-tech environment on a remote island. Use the environment itself to imprison them. Segregate them from any high-tech device or exotic resource they would need. No matter how mad they are, they are not going to make a doomsday cannon out of sticks and stones. Or if they do, and let's be honest they'll probably try, it will have limited damage.

It would help rehabilitation if they were put in a relatively low-pressure environment.

You don't want to blow all your budget on really exotic location and then have less money for security measures and rehabilitation.

I am also thinking about dividing the populations based on how altered they are (some are not human to various degrees). It may also be beneficial to separate them based on expertise, to make certain security precautions easier.
Credo!
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Oh man, imagine the peer reviews that would happen if there was a "Reformed Mad Scientist Society"

Freeze: I have created a viable, economic means of cryofreezing critically injured people to transport them to emergency facilities.

Octavius: You didn't take any of my advice, Victor. You didn't make it portable enough for transport in an ambulance.

Freeze: Well, I-

High Evolutionary: Why not simply force the injured person's body to accept a regenerative property? I have used recombination to-

Freeze: No, this is just to transport people safely to-

Apocalypse: If they are strong they will survive, there is no need to use such a device! If anything, I would shoot the victim again, or infect them with the Techno-Organic Amoxicilin I have concocted. Push them to the brink! They will emerge stronger for it!!

Freeze: How will that-

Al Ghul: Can it be used on California Redwoods to preserve them?

Freeze: What? No, it's for people.

Al Ghul: Fuck that.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

NeoGoomba wrote: 2019-01-24 08:39am Oh man, imagine the peer reviews that would happen if there was a "Reformed Mad Scientist Society"

Freeze: I have created a viable, economic means of cryofreezing critically injured people to transport them to emergency facilities.

Octavius: You didn't take any of my advice, Victor. You didn't make it portable enough for transport in an ambulance.

High Evolutionary: Why not simply force the injured person's body to accept a regenerative property? I have used recombination to-

Apocalypse: If they are strong they will survive, there is no need to use such a device! If anything, I would shoot the victim again, or infect them with the Techno-Organic Amoxicilin I have concocted. Push them to the brink! They will emerge stronger for it!!

It'd definitely create some internal bickering and divisions between those who are more closely aligned with reality and those too wrapped into whatever cause or interest they have.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-01-24 11:37am
NeoGoomba wrote: 2019-01-24 08:39am Oh man, imagine the peer reviews that would happen if there was a "Reformed Mad Scientist Society"

It'd definitely create some internal bickering and divisions between those who are more closely aligned with reality and those too wrapped into whatever cause or interest they have.
You should try being a member of a real NGO. the above is understated...
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee