Captain Marvel teaser.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-09-22 04:00pm If the meat of the story takes place off-planet it might explain why she wasn't around for IW. Kind of have to assume Fury's device was more than a simple pager to get a signal to her. I suspect the post credit scene will show her receiving said signal- obviously she wouldn't have been on Xandar during Thanos' raid else she would have stopped him before he got a single stone. Perhaps she gets to the planet after the event and we see the carange Thanos left behind, and people disintegrate around her.
THIS. This would make the perfect Mid-Credit scene, followed by an EndCredit with the Avengers.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Actual mid-credit scene:

Turns out Carol was working with Thanos ALL ALONG! BUAHAHAHA!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-09-22 04:00pm If the meat of the story takes place off-planet it might explain why she wasn't around for IW. Kind of have to assume Fury's device was more than a simple pager to get a signal to her. I suspect the post credit scene will show her receiving said signal- obviously she wouldn't have been on Xandar during Thanos' raid else she would have stopped him before he got a single stone. Perhaps she gets to the planet after the event and we see the carange Thanos left behind, and people disintegrate around her.

Err.. what? That's the other weird assumption people seem to have about Carol that's she going to be super overpowered and effortlessly solve the Thanos problem.

I mean I know Feige has said she's powerful but she's still only going to be part of the team.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-09-23 06:07am

Err.. what? That's the other weird assumption people seem to have about Carol that's she going to be super overpowered and effortlessly solve the Thanos problem.

I mean I know Feige has said she's powerful but she's still only going to be part of the team.
Because he'd have been far easier to take out singlehandedly before he was powered up by the stones, unless the infinity gauntlet itself was able to enhance the wielder in some way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-09-23 01:39pm

Because he'd have been far easier to take out singlehandedly before he was powered up by the stones, unless the infinity gauntlet itself was able to enhance the wielder in some way.
He went hand-to-hand with the hulk and beat him effortlessly without the stones (at least without using the powerstone as far as we can say.)

Plus if you want to stop him at Xandar you have to fight him plus his children plus his armies, all at once. I don't think Carol was there, I don't think she could stop him there either.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Probably partly the Alt. Reich/MRA/Incel/Miscellaneous Insecure Man-Children brigade pushing that as "proof" of how she's a "Mary Sue" to get other insecure men feeling threatened and riled up at the film. Or even non-ideologically-motivated bashers. They create a false complaint against the film to justify their dislike.

Same thing happened with Star Wars- its not Rey's fans, but her haters, who make the most exaggerated and grandiose claims about her powers.
Of course. Avengers 4 is Avengers 4, not Captain Marvel 2.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I think the trailer looks good and I am hopeful. I liked the character back in her Ms. Marvel/Binary/War Bird days.

I've seen a lot of stuff where people really bitch about how the character has been written since she's been Captain Marvel but I've only read the Jessica Jone's series where she convinces Jessica to go undercover and essentially cornhole her relationship with Cage, and maybe lose her daughter, to help catch some baddie. Carol wasn't completely shitty in this but it was fucked up of her to ask and Jessica should have said, "No" or found some way to clue Cage in as he found their kid.

I've heard some vaguely shitty stuff about Carol in regards to Civil War II (what? the 1st one wasn't fucked up enough?) but I am hopeful that the MCU will filter some of this shit out. She was a little dickish during the first Civil War but she wasn't the only one, plus it sort of fit with her military background. There were also times when she let things slide so.... :|

I'm assuming the full on Binary stuff will be rolled out at the end of Captain Marvel or might only make an appearance in Avengers 4. Either way, I'm cool with it. It essentially makes her potentially the most powerful character they've had so far but if someone is smart enough not to dump a bunch of power into her she's nominally below Hulk and Thor in basic power. Unless she's always at Binary level and there's a reason she's not glowing like a humanoid star all the time.

Some of the issues with the movie have had to do with Bree Larsen being sort of "feminist" on Twitter. :roll: Is anyone going to learn that other than the most basic circle jerk about mundane things and interaction with fans that posting on Twitter is a total shitstorm waiting for a post to throw it at the proverbial fan?

In one version of the trailer I saw that there was another pilot with the last name of Rambeau whose call-sign was "Photon". Whether that will lead to that character being Photon or her daughter, or if it is just a nod to Monica Rambeau, it's pretty cool. I'm hopeful that Monica ends up as Photon. I think her character would have been fine as Captain Marvel but apparently Marvel needs the Captain Marvel character to have more "physical" ass beating capabilities instead of science nerdy ass obliterating capabilities. And maybe they didn't have the balls to have Captain Marvel be black and instead went with the blondish woman instead. They've been working on Carol being Captain Marvel* for awhile so I guess it must have worked better than Monica being Captain Marvel but I think it would have been okay either way.

*Essentially when they made Carol a super star super hero in the alternate reality of House of M they were doing the slow build towards moving her character towards being Captain Marvel.

Couldn't they have used that to boost Wonderman at the same time? :D I thought he'd maybe get a cameo in one of James Gunn's Guardian's movies as "Hollywood" (played by Nathan Fillion) but that's pretty much shot I think. :(
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Tsyroc wrote: 2018-10-19 01:57pm

Couldn't they have used that to boost Wonderman at the same time? :D I thought he'd maybe get a cameo in one of James Gunn's Guardian's movies as "Hollywood" (played by Nathan Fillion) but that's pretty much shot I think. :(
Nathan Fillion as Wonder Man would be awesome. However seeing as its pretty close sounding to Wonder Woman, with her own movies, its most probably best to use his Hollywood persona instead.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah, Wonder Man isn't gonna show up except maaaaaaybe as a cameo. He already got a cameo in Guardians 2, his picture is in the movie theater that Ego's planet-eater blob consumes, but a.) it would be too much an out-of-universe gesture to really fit, and b.) Wonder Man would just be kind of weird and wacky in the MCU. I mean, okay, it's the MCU that has Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok, they can do wacky, but Simon Williams, a part-time superhero who's a full-time actor? Nah.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-10-23 01:35pm Yeah, Wonder Man isn't gonna show up except maaaaaaybe as a cameo. He already got a cameo in Guardians 2, his picture is in the movie theater that Ego's planet-eater blob consumes, but a.) it would be too much an out-of-universe gesture to really fit, and b.) Wonder Man would just be kind of weird and wacky in the MCU. I mean, okay, it's the MCU that has Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok, they can do wacky, but Simon Williams, a part-time superhero who's a full-time actor? Nah.
If he ever really shows up in a form resembling the comic character, with a similar origin, I figure it'll be way down the line and be because the writer/director was interested in a certain era of The Avengers comics. If it's because of an interest in the Wonderman comic of the 90s... :shock: Who boy! I read that off and on, and while it did come up with some decent stuff there was a reason I was off and on with the book.

I figured some variant of his Hollywood self could work in the GotG if they have a different origin for him and a reason for him being stuck out in space. Knowhere would have been a cool place to run into him. Maybe they can have him and Hercules* off in space centuries in the future.

*There were at least two Hercules limited series, one graphic novel and a series of stories in one of Marvel's anthology books of Hercules in the future where he was off in space doing his fighting, boozing, and womanizing thing. Both series and the graphic novel were good. I didn't read much of the story from the anthology series because I thought the story was mostly finished and I found the anthology books annoying.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Second trailer.

So Skrulls are the bad guys. And the Kree are the good guys. :lol:

I smell a plot twist coming.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I think I'm going to try and avoid the trailers if I can. I'm going to see it anyway and I don't want to get too hype.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

You know, younger Coulson appearing here, and bringing the Kree in in a big way (the Kree being the ones behind the Inhumans Coulson's resurrection a in the MCU) seems like a great opportunity both to bring Coulson back permanently to the movies, and to tie Agents of SHIELD into the films in a major way.

I really hope they go there. I don't think they're going to get a better opportunity to do either of those things in a way that would make sense to people who haven't watched the TV show.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-04 03:10pm You know, younger Coulson appearing here, and bringing the Kree in in a big way (the Kree being the ones behind the Inhumans Coulson's resurrection a in the MCU) seems like a great opportunity both to bring Coulson back permanently to the movies, and to tie Agents of SHIELD into the films in a major way.

I really hope they go there. I don't think they're going to get a better opportunity to do either of those things in a way that would make sense to people who haven't watched the TV show.
While that would be nice, I think they missed their big opportunity with Avengers 2, and kind of settled on them being separate continuities. Especially as season 5 of AoS didn't have the 'Thanos Wave' erase half the cast. Maybe they'll save that for season 6?
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Before I was hoping that Captain Marvel and Thor would tag-team Thanos in a pretty good duel. But now that we've seen that they are going with full-power Danvers, I can see her punking a non-gauntleted Thanos early in the movie, only to discover that most of the Infinity Stones are wrecked, setting up some kind of time travel tomfoolery.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

NeoGoomba wrote: 2018-12-06 08:33am Before I was hoping that Captain Marvel and Thor would tag-team Thanos in a pretty good duel. But now that we've seen that they are going with full-power Danvers, I can see her punking a non-gauntleted Thanos early in the movie, only to discover that most of the Infinity Stones are wrecked, setting up some kind of time travel tomfoolery.
And that's the issue with how ridiculous the last five minutes of Infinity War were. Now we're all just waiting for a grand reset button to undo the big shock ending.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Gandalf wrote: 2018-12-06 03:52pm
NeoGoomba wrote: 2018-12-06 08:33am Before I was hoping that Captain Marvel and Thor would tag-team Thanos in a pretty good duel. But now that we've seen that they are going with full-power Danvers, I can see her punking a non-gauntleted Thanos early in the movie, only to discover that most of the Infinity Stones are wrecked, setting up some kind of time travel tomfoolery.
And that's the issue with how ridiculous the last five minutes of Infinity War were. Now we're all just waiting for a grand reset button to undo the big shock ending.
That's kind of what happened in the comic as well. :D

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-12-04 11:28pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-04 03:10pm You know, younger Coulson appearing here, and bringing the Kree in in a big way (the Kree being the ones behind the Inhumans Coulson's resurrection a in the MCU) seems like a great opportunity both to bring Coulson back permanently to the movies, and to tie Agents of SHIELD into the films in a major way.

While that would be nice, I think they missed their big opportunity with Avengers 2, and kind of settled on them being separate continuities. Especially as season 5 of AoS didn't have the 'Thanos Wave' erase half the cast. Maybe they'll save that for season 6?
I think doing it in Avengers 2 would have been difficult, because there would have been a perceived need to explain why Coulson was back, and that would have distracted from the film. But since Kree are in this movie, and Kree blood was used to resurrect him, I feel that it would be easier to justify his return in this film for people who haven't seen the show.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-08 01:33pm
FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-12-04 11:28pm

I think doing it in Avengers 2 would have been difficult, because there would have been a perceived need to explain why Coulson was back, and that would have distracted from the film. But since Kree are in this movie, and Kree blood was used to resurrect him, I feel that it would be easier to justify his return in this film for people who haven't seen the show.
Presumably the AoS producers will have been informed at least in part what will happen/what to avoid so that they can integrate events like they did with Winter Soldier. The next season won't air until July next year (and with a reduced episode count) so they will have the events of IW over and done with by then, instead of a mid-season hiatus centred around the release of Endgame.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I'm still hoping for Carol to go full Binary in one of the films instead of just the "floating energized hair" that she's had in the most recent trailer.

Binary was powerful as fuck but I never thought of her as being the end all against some of the biggest Marvel villains. If anything, she was, at the level of the lower tier Heralds of Galactus (Firelord, Nova) and that's at the best, even if she might be physically stronger than that level.

I'd be more exited for this film if the comics weren't BS (Carol as Captain Marvel is a douche at best) and if it didn't appear that Brie Larsen fucking things up by making comments on Twitter. :?

So far the best Captain Marvel by Marvel (post Kree Mar-Vel) has either been Monica Rambeau or Genis Mar-Vel, with both Phyla-Vel and No-Var being better than what they've done with Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel. I haven't really read many of her comics but everyone says she's a bit of a cunt. I kind of lean that way with her appearance in later Jessica Jones and in stuff after she was Ms. Marvel but trying to be her best self after the alternate reality where Mutants were a big deal.

It's too bad. I've tended to like the character a lot so I wish they had gone with Monica Rambeau if the MCU wanted to push a female Captain Marvel and to go with Binary or Ms. Marvel/Warbird for Carol Danvers. The powers of Monica Rambeau could have been cool as fuck without being "who can punch harder" and Carol could have been introduced at the level that rivaled post Ragnarok Thor and still held onto the various flaws that the character has had over the years.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

I figure I'd put this here. Yes, it's just the official CM website but... well, you really need to see it for yourselves.

Captain Marvel
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

SolarpunkFan wrote: 2019-02-09 04:48pm I figure I'd put this here. Yes, it's just the official CM website but... well, you really need to see it for yourselves.

Captain Marvel
That was just painful. I remember those websites.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The internet is being increasingly flooded by posts and videos talking about how Captain Marvel and Brie Larson are ruining Marvel, how they're anti-male, etc, so it looks like the cowardly insecure Incel propaganda machine is in full swing now.

Even if this movie blows, I will be buying at least three tickets purely to spite them.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Gah, keep on thinking this thread is about the awesome Captain Marvel, who can't use his name for legal reasons, as opposed to the one who is most famous for being raped in the 200th issue of the Avengers/having her powers stolen by Rogue.

Still plan on seeing it though.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-03-05 05:12am Gah, keep on thinking this thread is about the awesome Captain Marvel, who can't use his name for legal reasons, as opposed to the one who is most famous for being raped in the 200th issue of the Avengers/having her powers stolen by Rogue.

Still plan on seeing it though.
Well, look on the bright side- now she'll get to be famous for something else.