Captain Marvel teaser.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

User avatar
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage
Posts: 19585
Joined: 2003-02-12 10:59pm
Location: Tahalshia Manor

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by LadyTevar » 2018-09-22 06:14pm

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2018-09-22 04:00pm
If the meat of the story takes place off-planet it might explain why she wasn't around for IW. Kind of have to assume Fury's device was more than a simple pager to get a signal to her. I suspect the post credit scene will show her receiving said signal- obviously she wouldn't have been on Xandar during Thanos' raid else she would have stopped him before he got a single stone. Perhaps she gets to the planet after the event and we see the carange Thanos left behind, and people disintegrate around her.
THIS. This would make the perfect Mid-Credit scene, followed by an EndCredit with the Avengers.
Image
Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

Q99
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: 2015-05-16 01:33pm

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by Q99 » 2018-09-22 08:36pm

Actual mid-credit scene:

Turns out Carol was working with Thanos ALL ALONG! BUAHAHAHA!

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10555
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-09-23 06:07am

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2018-09-22 04:00pm
If the meat of the story takes place off-planet it might explain why she wasn't around for IW. Kind of have to assume Fury's device was more than a simple pager to get a signal to her. I suspect the post credit scene will show her receiving said signal- obviously she wouldn't have been on Xandar during Thanos' raid else she would have stopped him before he got a single stone. Perhaps she gets to the planet after the event and we see the carange Thanos left behind, and people disintegrate around her.

Err.. what? That's the other weird assumption people seem to have about Carol that's she going to be super overpowered and effortlessly solve the Thanos problem.

I mean I know Feige has said she's powerful but she's still only going to be part of the team.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

User avatar
EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2264
Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Location: High orbit

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-09-23 01:39pm

Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-09-23 06:07am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2018-09-22 04:00pm
If the meat of the story takes place off-planet it might explain why she wasn't around for IW. Kind of have to assume Fury's device was more than a simple pager to get a signal to her. I suspect the post credit scene will show her receiving said signal- obviously she wouldn't have been on Xandar during Thanos' raid else she would have stopped him before he got a single stone. Perhaps she gets to the planet after the event and we see the carange Thanos left behind, and people disintegrate around her.

Err.. what? That's the other weird assumption people seem to have about Carol that's she going to be super overpowered and effortlessly solve the Thanos problem.

I mean I know Feige has said she's powerful but she's still only going to be part of the team.
Because he'd have been far easier to take out singlehandedly before he was powered up by the stones, unless the infinity gauntlet itself was able to enhance the wielder in some way.
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10555
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-09-23 02:26pm

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2018-09-23 01:39pm
Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-09-23 06:07am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2018-09-22 04:00pm
If the meat of the story takes place off-planet it might explain why she wasn't around for IW. Kind of have to assume Fury's device was more than a simple pager to get a signal to her. I suspect the post credit scene will show her receiving said signal- obviously she wouldn't have been on Xandar during Thanos' raid else she would have stopped him before he got a single stone. Perhaps she gets to the planet after the event and we see the carange Thanos left behind, and people disintegrate around her.

Err.. what? That's the other weird assumption people seem to have about Carol that's she going to be super overpowered and effortlessly solve the Thanos problem.

I mean I know Feige has said she's powerful but she's still only going to be part of the team.
Because he'd have been far easier to take out singlehandedly before he was powered up by the stones, unless the infinity gauntlet itself was able to enhance the wielder in some way.
He went hand-to-hand with the hulk and beat him effortlessly without the stones (at least without using the powerstone as far as we can say.)

Plus if you want to stop him at Xandar you have to fight him plus his children plus his armies, all at once. I don't think Carol was there, I don't think she could stop him there either.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15633
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-10-16 01:00am

Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-09-23 06:07am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2018-09-22 04:00pm
If the meat of the story takes place off-planet it might explain why she wasn't around for IW. Kind of have to assume Fury's device was more than a simple pager to get a signal to her. I suspect the post credit scene will show her receiving said signal- obviously she wouldn't have been on Xandar during Thanos' raid else she would have stopped him before he got a single stone. Perhaps she gets to the planet after the event and we see the carange Thanos left behind, and people disintegrate around her.

Err.. what? That's the other weird assumption people seem to have about Carol that's she going to be super overpowered and effortlessly solve the Thanos problem.
Probably partly the Alt. Reich/MRA/Incel/Miscellaneous Insecure Man-Children brigade pushing that as "proof" of how she's a "Mary Sue" to get other insecure men feeling threatened and riled up at the film. Or even non-ideologically-motivated bashers. They create a false complaint against the film to justify their dislike.

Same thing happened with Star Wars- its not Rey's fans, but her haters, who make the most exaggerated and grandiose claims about her powers.
I mean I know Feige has said she's powerful but she's still only going to be part of the team.
Of course. Avengers 4 is Avengers 4, not Captain Marvel 2.
"Well, Grant, we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?"

"Yes. Lick 'em tomorrow though."

-Generals William T. Sherman and Ulysses S Grant, the Battle of Shiloh.


"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"-Terry Pratchett's DEATH.


I am a dual citizen of the United States and Canada.


Fuck Civility.

User avatar
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 13624
Joined: 2002-07-29 08:35am
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by Tsyroc » 2018-10-19 01:57pm

I think the trailer looks good and I am hopeful. I liked the character back in her Ms. Marvel/Binary/War Bird days.

I've seen a lot of stuff where people really bitch about how the character has been written since she's been Captain Marvel but I've only read the Jessica Jone's series where she convinces Jessica to go undercover and essentially cornhole her relationship with Cage, and maybe lose her daughter, to help catch some baddie. Carol wasn't completely shitty in this but it was fucked up of her to ask and Jessica should have said, "No" or found some way to clue Cage in as he found their kid.

I've heard some vaguely shitty stuff about Carol in regards to Civil War II (what? the 1st one wasn't fucked up enough?) but I am hopeful that the MCU will filter some of this shit out. She was a little dickish during the first Civil War but she wasn't the only one, plus it sort of fit with her military background. There were also times when she let things slide so.... :|

I'm assuming the full on Binary stuff will be rolled out at the end of Captain Marvel or might only make an appearance in Avengers 4. Either way, I'm cool with it. It essentially makes her potentially the most powerful character they've had so far but if someone is smart enough not to dump a bunch of power into her she's nominally below Hulk and Thor in basic power. Unless she's always at Binary level and there's a reason she's not glowing like a humanoid star all the time.


Some of the issues with the movie have had to do with Bree Larsen being sort of "feminist" on Twitter. :roll: Is anyone going to learn that other than the most basic circle jerk about mundane things and interaction with fans that posting on Twitter is a total shitstorm waiting for a post to throw it at the proverbial fan?


In one version of the trailer I saw that there was another pilot with the last name of Rambeau whose call-sign was "Photon". Whether that will lead to that character being Photon or her daughter, or if it is just a nod to Monica Rambeau, it's pretty cool. I'm hopeful that Monica ends up as Photon. I think her character would have been fine as Captain Marvel but apparently Marvel needs the Captain Marvel character to have more "physical" ass beating capabilities instead of science nerdy ass obliterating capabilities. And maybe they didn't have the balls to have Captain Marvel be black and instead went with the blondish woman instead. They've been working on Carol being Captain Marvel* for awhile so I guess it must have worked better than Monica being Captain Marvel but I think it would have been okay either way.



*Essentially when they made Carol a super star super hero in the alternate reality of House of M they were doing the slow build towards moving her character towards being Captain Marvel.

Couldn't they have used that to boost Wonderman at the same time? :D I thought he'd maybe get a cameo in one of James Gunn's Guardian's movies as "Hollywood" (played by Nathan Fillion) but that's pretty much shot I think. :(
By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.

User avatar
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Posts: 10126
Joined: 2004-12-12 10:55pm
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by mr friendly guy » 2018-10-23 07:38am

Tsyroc wrote:
2018-10-19 01:57pm


Couldn't they have used that to boost Wonderman at the same time? :D I thought he'd maybe get a cameo in one of James Gunn's Guardian's movies as "Hollywood" (played by Nathan Fillion) but that's pretty much shot I think. :(
Nathan Fillion as Wonder Man would be awesome. However seeing as its pretty close sounding to Wonder Woman, with her own movies, its most probably best to use his Hollywood persona instead.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to.
Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.

User avatar
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 12458
Joined: 2004-03-04 01:15am
Location: Georgia

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by Elheru Aran » 2018-10-23 01:35pm

Yeah, Wonder Man isn't gonna show up except maaaaaaybe as a cameo. He already got a cameo in Guardians 2, his picture is in the movie theater that Ego's planet-eater blob consumes, but a.) it would be too much an out-of-universe gesture to really fit, and b.) Wonder Man would just be kind of weird and wacky in the MCU. I mean, okay, it's the MCU that has Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok, they can do wacky, but Simon Williams, a part-time superhero who's a full-time actor? Nah.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.

User avatar
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 13624
Joined: 2002-07-29 08:35am
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by Tsyroc » 2018-10-24 01:33am

Elheru Aran wrote:
2018-10-23 01:35pm
Yeah, Wonder Man isn't gonna show up except maaaaaaybe as a cameo. He already got a cameo in Guardians 2, his picture is in the movie theater that Ego's planet-eater blob consumes, but a.) it would be too much an out-of-universe gesture to really fit, and b.) Wonder Man would just be kind of weird and wacky in the MCU. I mean, okay, it's the MCU that has Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok, they can do wacky, but Simon Williams, a part-time superhero who's a full-time actor? Nah.
If he ever really shows up in a form resembling the comic character, with a similar origin, I figure it'll be way down the line and be because the writer/director was interested in a certain era of The Avengers comics. If it's because of an interest in the Wonderman comic of the 90s... :shock: Who boy! I read that off and on, and while it did come up with some decent stuff there was a reason I was off and on with the book.


I figured some variant of his Hollywood self could work in the GotG if they have a different origin for him and a reason for him being stuck out in space. Knowhere would have been a cool place to run into him. Maybe they can have him and Hercules* off in space centuries in the future.


*There were at least two Hercules limited series, one graphic novel and a series of stories in one of Marvel's anthology books of Hercules in the future where he was off in space doing his fighting, boozing, and womanizing thing. Both series and the graphic novel were good. I didn't read much of the story from the anthology series because I thought the story was mostly finished and I found the anthology books annoying.
By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.

User avatar
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Posts: 10126
Joined: 2004-12-12 10:55pm
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by mr friendly guy » 2018-12-04 04:05am

Second trailer.


So Skrulls are the bad guys. And the Kree are the good guys. :lol:

I smell a plot twist coming.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to.
Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10555
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-12-04 04:28am

I think I'm going to try and avoid the trailers if I can. I'm going to see it anyway and I don't want to get too hype.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15633
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-12-04 03:10pm

You know, younger Coulson appearing here, and bringing the Kree in in a big way (the Kree being the ones behind the Inhumans Coulson's resurrection a in the MCU) seems like a great opportunity both to bring Coulson back permanently to the movies, and to tie Agents of SHIELD into the films in a major way.

I really hope they go there. I don't think they're going to get a better opportunity to do either of those things in a way that would make sense to people who haven't watched the TV show.
"Well, Grant, we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?"

"Yes. Lick 'em tomorrow though."

-Generals William T. Sherman and Ulysses S Grant, the Battle of Shiloh.


"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"-Terry Pratchett's DEATH.


I am a dual citizen of the United States and Canada.


Fuck Civility.

User avatar
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 6743
Joined: 2002-10-30 06:40pm
Location: In a dark reflection of a better world

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by FaxModem1 » 2018-12-04 11:28pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-12-04 03:10pm
You know, younger Coulson appearing here, and bringing the Kree in in a big way (the Kree being the ones behind the Inhumans Coulson's resurrection a in the MCU) seems like a great opportunity both to bring Coulson back permanently to the movies, and to tie Agents of SHIELD into the films in a major way.

I really hope they go there. I don't think they're going to get a better opportunity to do either of those things in a way that would make sense to people who haven't watched the TV show.
While that would be nice, I think they missed their big opportunity with Avengers 2, and kind of settled on them being separate continuities. Especially as season 5 of AoS didn't have the 'Thanos Wave' erase half the cast. Maybe they'll save that for season 6?
Image

User avatar
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee
Posts: 3170
Joined: 2002-12-22 11:35am
Location: Upstate New York

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by NeoGoomba » 2018-12-06 08:33am

Before I was hoping that Captain Marvel and Thor would tag-team Thanos in a pretty good duel. But now that we've seen that they are going with full-power Danvers, I can see her punking a non-gauntleted Thanos early in the movie, only to discover that most of the Infinity Stones are wrecked, setting up some kind of time travel tomfoolery.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay

User avatar
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard
Posts: 14552
Joined: 2002-09-16 11:13pm
Location: A video store in Sydney, Australia

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by Gandalf » 2018-12-06 03:52pm

NeoGoomba wrote:
2018-12-06 08:33am
Before I was hoping that Captain Marvel and Thor would tag-team Thanos in a pretty good duel. But now that we've seen that they are going with full-power Danvers, I can see her punking a non-gauntleted Thanos early in the movie, only to discover that most of the Infinity Stones are wrecked, setting up some kind of time travel tomfoolery.
And that's the issue with how ridiculous the last five minutes of Infinity War were. Now we're all just waiting for a grand reset button to undo the big shock ending.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin

User avatar
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Posts: 10126
Joined: 2004-12-12 10:55pm
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by mr friendly guy » 2018-12-07 06:09am

Gandalf wrote:
2018-12-06 03:52pm
NeoGoomba wrote:
2018-12-06 08:33am
Before I was hoping that Captain Marvel and Thor would tag-team Thanos in a pretty good duel. But now that we've seen that they are going with full-power Danvers, I can see her punking a non-gauntleted Thanos early in the movie, only to discover that most of the Infinity Stones are wrecked, setting up some kind of time travel tomfoolery.
And that's the issue with how ridiculous the last five minutes of Infinity War were. Now we're all just waiting for a grand reset button to undo the big shock ending.
That's kind of what happened in the comic as well. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to.
Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15633
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Captain Marvel teaser.

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-12-08 01:33pm

FaxModem1 wrote:
2018-12-04 11:28pm
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-12-04 03:10pm
You know, younger Coulson appearing here, and bringing the Kree in in a big way (the Kree being the ones behind the Inhumans Coulson's resurrection a in the MCU) seems like a great opportunity both to bring Coulson back permanently to the movies, and to tie Agents of SHIELD into the films in a major way.

I really hope they go there. I don't think they're going to get a better opportunity to do either of those things in a way that would make sense to people who haven't watched the TV show.
While that would be nice, I think they missed their big opportunity with Avengers 2, and kind of settled on them being separate continuities. Especially as season 5 of AoS didn't have the 'Thanos Wave' erase half the cast. Maybe they'll save that for season 6?
I think doing it in Avengers 2 would have been difficult, because there would have been a perceived need to explain why Coulson was back, and that would have distracted from the film. But since Kree are in this movie, and Kree blood was used to resurrect him, I feel that it would be easier to justify his return in this film for people who haven't seen the show.
"Well, Grant, we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?"

"Yes. Lick 'em tomorrow though."

-Generals William T. Sherman and Ulysses S Grant, the Battle of Shiloh.


"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"-Terry Pratchett's DEATH.


I am a dual citizen of the United States and Canada.


Fuck Civility.

Post Reply