Reconciling Modern Satanism with "The real deal."

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Reconciling Modern Satanism with "The real deal."

Post by Majin Gojira »

Just a simple thought experiment.

Imagine an Urban Fantasy setting where said fantasy is kept secret from the modern world.

How could/would modern Satanists react to the existence of an actual Satan? Even if we take the mythic sources we have with a "This is a biased perspective/obvious propaganda from one diety in a world with multiple deities vying for power and attention" I'm flummoxed on a method to do so.

Any ideas?
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Reconciling Modern Satanism with "The real deal."

Post by Elheru Aran »

I'd say it depends on the flavor of Satanist. The ones that actually attempt to worship the Devil will probably be ecstatic. The guys that just try to troll the Christians and are otherwise just kind of basic hedonists are probably going to be a bit less thrilled.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Umm, you've just exposed the existence of something that was, to this point, unproven and indeed unprovable. It leads to questions about every religion, every myth being potentially real. The reaction of Satanists is the least of what concerns me about this scenario.

Christians will be going nuts and you could likely expect a full-blown religious war to start among the Abrahamic religions for control over the holy land. Those religions without confirmed deities will start bleeding followers until their deities are revealed or only the hardest of hardcore followers remain. Atheists can now directly ask questions about things that have been moral sticking points for ages.

This creates an entire tempest that could doom humanity baring literal divine intervention to stop such chaos.

((Duplicate Post deleted -- Lady Tevar
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It depends entirely on the urban fantasy in question and how it works. For example, what and who is Satan exactly? Is he truly evil by creation, a rebellious angel or merely an appointed servant of God? Is he a rebellous and powerful, but actually mortal, spirit, like in Islam with Iblis?

Because it really depends. Dresden file's demons and Satan actually only work for the background, with the exception Denari. So he is somewhat ambiguous. Young Wizards explicitly deals with this and portrays Satan as a fallen god that can be redeemed. And so on.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Does this mean that the kids who decided they were Satanists to be edgy and stick it to Christianity/their parents are going to find out that their souls are actually owned by the Devil and on a one-way ticket to Hell?

Edit: This scenario is honestly terrifying. In addition to the above, and everything Jub raised, this raises the prospect of a universe in which pure, metaphysical evil unambiguously exists, and where a soul can be damned for eternity when we die. Depending on how much of the Biblical mythology turns out to be accurate, this could completely change everything about how we perceive existence (unless you were already a fundamentalist, anyway- and what if they got the details wrong too?).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Or, we could be dealing with Lucifer, as per Neil Gaimon. The Fallen Angel who just wanted the same Self-Determination humans got.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

LadyTevar wrote: 2018-08-22 06:39pm Or, we could be dealing with Lucifer, as per Neil Gaimon. The Fallen Angel who just wanted the same Self-Determination humans got.
Yeah, like I said, maybe the fundies got it wrong. But either way, a lot of peoples' worldview is going to be shattered into dust.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.