THE OotS Thread, Part V

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part V

Post by Solauren »

True. However, I'm sure having a human land on you, when you're a halfling landing head first, is going to cause minor issues.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Rogues typically have the requisite skills to mitigate that (reducing falling damage is a function of Tumble; if this were Pathfinder there are rogue talents for it too). The major consequence is now Serini has to deal with the Order on their terms: If Sunny anti-magics them it removes her invisibility and whatever else she's got going, and if she doesn't the Order gets to use all their magic juju that can locate and neutralize her.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Ghetto edit: Also, Haley's flight will come back now that she's out of the antimagic cone, so unless the beholder turns around to get her in it again, she's not going to hit the ground.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

We don't know if the troll-mutation Serini has affected her rogue abilities. An epic level rogue would not need to bother with a beholder a PC part less then 17th level.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Re-reading the comic, she can't be more then 3 levels higher then Hailey. Otherwise, Hailey would have been flanked, and she wouldn't have gotten Uncanny Dodge.

Serini is going to have problems with the party I think.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Solauren wrote: 2021-09-09 06:39pm Re-reading the comic, she can't be more then 3 levels higher then Hailey. Otherwise, Hailey would have been flanked, and she wouldn't have gotten Uncanny Dodge.

Only if she's pure rogue. I don't think we have Serini sheet but she has any cross classes in 3.5 the verison OOTS uses only rogue levels count for that flanking rule.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Rogue levels are generally the only thing that count for that.

I think the only thing that she'll have going for her against the order is some Trollish regeneration, and that's corrected by Fire.

Or being Belkar's mom

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Mr Bean wrote: 2021-09-10 08:03am
Solauren wrote: 2021-09-09 06:39pm Re-reading the comic, she can't be more then 3 levels higher then Hailey. Otherwise, Hailey would have been flanked, and she wouldn't have gotten Uncanny Dodge.

Only if she's pure rogue. I don't think we have Serini sheet but she has any cross classes in 3.5 the verison OOTS uses only rogue levels count for that flanking rule.
It also assumes she actually used the Uncanny Dodge ability instead of just dodging normally and making a play on words about it.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

She wasn't flanked anyway; she was attacked at range. Uncanny Dodge doesn't have any clause about a higher level rogue ignoring it for the purpose of attacking while invisible. Nothing about the interaction established Serini's level.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Serini is going to have problems with the party I think.
Flanked by who?

Flanking requires two adjacent attackers on opposite sides of the target. Serini and Sunny have been in the same place at all times. Rogues don't automagically make you become flanked just by existing anywhere on the field, nor does being invisible.

If Haley was between Serini and Sunny then Serini would, if she is 4+ Rogue levels higher*, be able to get her Sneak Attack bonus despite Improved Uncanny Dodge. Haley would still get her Dex bonus to AC though because relative Rogue levels do not affect that part of Uncanny Dodge, only the immunity to Sneak Attacks due to flanking from Improved Uncanny Dodge. (None of the other effects of being Flanked apply, with Improved Uncanny Dodge a rogue cannot be flanked).

* The Order of the Scribble were/are epic level and last estimate for Haley puts her at 16, so this is probable since there's nothing to suggest Serini is cross classed.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hehehe, I'd actually forgotten all about that. No wonder she's annoyed.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

and the scene continues and continues and continues...
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

1247 is up. V is big mad. :D
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

1248 is up. Finally getting somewhere.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yes, now this is what I call getting somewhere.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

That's some good character based motivations going, which are in turn theme based. (The theme of this book being the Order has come into their own as a team that's stronger than their parts while Serini's crew became less).
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

1250 is up. Serini really didn't think that one through. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Not sure Lien thought that through either tbh. Good chance Razor's going to knock Serini in or mess things up somehow. I imagine Haley's been 100% honest in a technical sense but still getting Serini onside would be a vitally needed bonus for them.

An epic level ally with lots of monsters and complete knowledge of the area they need that if at all possible.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2021-12-14 12:23am 1250 is up. Serini really didn't think that one through. :razz:
It's possible Serini has crucial information she assumes the Order is aware she has that makes her threat make more sense in context.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Razor is either going to knock her off the cauldron to the floor, or grab her in his mouth and pull her to the floor.
(It's a Paladin doing it, so it should work)

The question is - What will our half-troll halfling due then?

Unless they can prove that Roy has already defeated the Lich once, and now has a better weapon specifically to fight the undead, and that there is a chance they can even get Redcloak to switch sides, well, 'old, stubborn and going senile' isn't going to budge.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-12-14 05:05am Not sure Lien thought that through either tbh. Good chance Razor's going to knock Serini in or mess things up somehow. I imagine Haley's been 100% honest in a technical sense but still getting Serini onside would be a vitally needed bonus for them.

An epic level ally with lots of monsters and complete knowledge of the area they need that if at all possible.
Lien has different priorities. She's seizing her best shot at escaping.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Worked out better than expected. Hopefully the fighting is winding down now.