What are your favorite fan theories (possible spoilers)?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: What are your favorite fan theories (possible spoilers)?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

James Bond (Daniel Craig version):

-Bond chose to let Vesper die. Mostly because that was not properly-performed CPR (I can't imagine an intelligence agent and former soldier like Bond wouldn't have first aid training), and he gave up after about a minute. Various reasons could be offered as to why he did so- respect for Vesper's evident wishes, knowledge that she could be used against him, or that the only future she could have would be as a prisoner or a fugitive, anger toward her, or all of the above. Bond consciously or subconsciously knows this, and it further fuels his guilt over her death.

-Vesper's death wasn't just an act of suicidal despair- it was deliberately intended to point Bond straight at Quantum, while ensuring that she could no longer be used against him or MI6. I like this one because it means that she isn't just a helpless woman who dies pointlessly to further a man's character arc, and because it adds a whole other layer to the plot of the films.

-Bond-verse is one of the many realities in the Marvel multi-verse, and Spectre is their dimension's version of Hydra. Pretty obvious really-they basically share a logo, even. :D

Mad Max:

Don't know if I've posted this one before, but- Mad Max Earth is Firefly's Earth That Was. I like this one partly because Fury Road had a sort of Whedon-like vibe to me at times, both with the feminist themes and with the War Boys distinctly reminding me of Reavers at times. And it would fit pretty well- we see in the opening of Serenity the Alliance's version of its founding's history, with ships fleeing a desolate Earth dotted with what appear to be massive nuclear blasts, and a suggestion that this was due to overpopulation/lack of resources. All of which fits Mad Max Earth's apocalypse very well. And of course, they couldn't realistically have evacuated everyone- most likely the rich/powerful people at the top plus their families and key lackeys buggered out, and left everyone else on a dying planet (this fits with how the Alliance is portrayed in Firefly/Serenity, with a wealthy core and chaotic, largely-ignored or uncontrollable fringes- I can see the abandonment of Earth by its elite as the "original sin" of the Alliance). Plus I liked that scene in Fury Road where they're looking up at a satellite passing overhead, and speculating over whether anyone is still out there using them. It's a nice thought that somewhere IS still out there using that tech, even if its in another solar system.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Discworld: another one I'm going to steal off TV Tropes:

Following his death, Commander Sam Vimes will become the God of Watchmen.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-22 01:36pmDiscworld: another one I'm going to steal off TV Tropes:

Following his death, Commander Sam Vimes will become the God of Watchmen.
There is an extremely good fanfic with that very premise. Suffice to say that Vimes takes it much better than you might expect once he gets over the shock.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Link?

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

If I ever remember the title of it, I'll put it up here.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Thanks. It sounds good.