Who's your favorite superhero and why?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: Who's your favorite superhero and why?

Post by Q99 »

Various heroes I like, in no particular order-

X-23/Laura Kinney, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Superman, Britanny Diggers, and a bunch more including numerous members of the X-men, Legion of Superheroes, and so on.

My favs move around a lot
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

...so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Most of the time, Big Blue, but the Human trinity of the Justice League (Barry, Hal, & Ollie) are great characters. I also admit a strong affinity for the Powered junior supermen both of the modern age (Conner Kent/Superboy [post 2000], Chris Kent/Lor-Zod, & Lar Gand/Mon-El/Johnathan Kent) and the new 52(ish) (Kong Kenan/New Superman [Seriously - Check out the New Superman of China/New Superman & The Justice League of China I think the entire thing is now in trade paperback] & Jon Kent/Superboy [post-Convergence new52]).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

TimothyC wrote: 2018-08-18 07:36pm Most of the time, Big Blue, but the Human trinity of the Justice League (Barry, Hal, & Ollie) are great characters. I also admit a strong affinity for the Powered junior supermen both of the modern age (Conner Kent/Superboy [post 2000], Chris Kent/Lor-Zod, & Lar Gand/Mon-El/Johnathan Kent) and the new 52(ish) (Kong Kenan/New Superman [Seriously - Check out the New Superman of China/New Superman & The Justice League of China I think the entire thing is now in trade paperback] & Jon Kent/Superboy [post-Convergence new52]).
I really should check out Kenan/Super-man's book, it sounds good.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I think it's a toss-up between Thor and Captain America, both have good films. Film to film, Cap has the edge on the first two. For the third it was about level. As far as the actual characters go, I prefer Thor- perhaps because he has the best hair (Ragnarok not withstanding)!
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Q99 wrote: 2018-08-29 11:22pm I really should check out Kenan/Super-man's book, it sounds good.
It really is. While it does take place in the broader DCU, it doesn't cross over too much, and thus you really don't need to know what is going on in say Action/Superman to really enjoy it.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

TimothyC wrote: 2018-09-01 01:34pm
Q99 wrote: 2018-08-29 11:22pm I really should check out Kenan/Super-man's book, it sounds good.
It really is. While it does take place in the broader DCU, it doesn't cross over too much, and thus you really don't need to know what is going on in say Action/Superman to really enjoy it.
I do like largely self-contained stories

That said, comic companies also need to fold them more into the wider world (through methods like team books) to ensure they gain hold in more people's minds and become longer-term fixtures!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Peter Parker Spider-Man. He's at least of the more well known likely the most grounded one of us. Not because his powers are any more sensible-they're just as silly as Clark's or me having infinite money. Because his problems outside the 'confine the villain of the week' area are so incredibly mundane. He has to make and mend his own costumes, he has to make a living, he has to deal with bullying when in high school, he sometimes can't make the rent, he has real world problems the reader can relate to. He's a normal person only with powers.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Q99 wrote: 2018-09-01 08:20pmI do like largely self-contained stories

That said, comic companies also need to fold them more into the wider world (through methods like team books) to ensure they gain hold in more people's minds and become longer-term fixtures!
Kenan does show up in the wider superman stories, and a knowledge of the somewhat recent convolution of Supes in the DCU is useful to understanding how the series kicks off, but yes, the series can be read independently of the rest of the DCU - which is helpful when things like Doomsday Clock take longer than originally scheduled.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Yea, but I'd like more than cameos. Joining a major team is IMO the best way to cement someone as a long ongoing character.