Fly, little birdie

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Fly, little birdie

Post by KraytKing »

A benevolent deity of your choice decides one day to gift you with flight. You can choose the method:

1) Feathered wings
2) Scaled wings
3) Bug wings

Whichever you take, you have the same basic characteristics. You can fly, if you get a running start. The wings sprout out of your back, just between and below your shoulder blades. They're strong enough to lift you and any weight you could carry comfortably at a jog. Your lungs and heart have been strengthened to allow breathing at higher speeds and altitudes.

Each grants you a specific boon.

1) Feathered wings grant you additional speed.
2) Scaled wings grant you additional strength. Also, they have claws at the ends. Vestigial, but super cool looking.
3) Bug wings grant you VTOL and hover capability.

Which do you choose, and what do you do?
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Fly, little birdie

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Feathered wing, so I can visit my buddy Voltan on Mongo.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Wow, tough choice -

I have ENOUGH feathers to clean up in this house courtesy of my parrots, and I'm not a speed demon so no on those.

Scaled wings for more strength? Strength is good.

Bug wings for hovering? Hovering. Wow, hovering is cool. And useful. I wouldn't need a ladder for a lot of things anymore (tight interior spaces, no room for wings, but outside? No problem).

Think I might opt for hovering.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

You say vestigial claws on the scaled wings? Are we talking strong enough to hook onto someting and hold your weight, or just "it looks cool" kinda claws? Are they maunually dextrous in any way?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Not dextrous, but could be used to support your weight, if also supported by your arms and legs holding on. Probably just enough to make you a great freeclimber.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

--Mountain

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Define what 'additional strength' means a little more. Does additional speed and strength only apply to flying or in general?
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Both apply only to flight. I don't now enough about bird speeds and sizes to give a specific number for how much, but let's say both increase stated feature by 50%. If anyone wants to figure out what a reasonable top speed for level human flight would be, you're welcome to it.
--Mace

--Solauren

--Mountain

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Bug, I think. Hovering is just too stupidly useful. Also, runways are for chumps.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Bug wings!

Because now I know Lady Destiny is calling me and I should begin to scour the world for my very own 'Tick'!

:D
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Feathered wings. Raven-black feathered wings.
Never wait for a bus again.
Exercise them regularly.
Travel "as the crow flies", literally.
Troll evangelicals.
Officiate pagan weddings for friends.
Finally wear a "costume" to ECCC.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

And win best costume.

And, best Brandon Lee impersonation, :D
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Feathered. Speed is more useful if I start flying as part of my day to day activities.

Plus they seem like they would be more comfortable in the cold weather.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Insect seems good until you realize they're the only type that can't glide. So that leaves my out of shape self looking at the other options.

Feathers for more speed would be nice, but I think you could get equal speed with scaled wings if you set yourself up for a dive. I'd also guess that added strength would aid in your time to altitude as much as feathered speed would. You also get a better payload out of the deal which makes shopping trips or courier more practical on the wing.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Scaled. Then I can lock the claws across my chest a'la Gargoyles.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Bug wings are tempting, for the hovering, but I'll probably go for scales, because they're more durable and I'm paranoid.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Feathered, because the other options would repulse people.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-05-30 08:58pm Bug wings are tempting, for the hovering, but I'll probably go for scales, because they're more durable and I'm paranoid.
Then you should go for feathered - they will grow back if damaged, only the limb part of it is vulnerable to permanent damage.
Both other types, you could fix chirurgically, or with duct tape, though
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

While feathered wings can support higher flight speeds, the biggest advantage is substantially increased aerodynamic efficiency in powered, gliding and soaring flight. Range will be significantly higher than bat wings and an order of magnitude higher than insect wings. A second major advantage is that feathers are much more damage resistant (a bat will get a painful tear from a branch strike that would just require preening for a bird) and can be regrown sequentially (unlike insect wings where the whole wing has to be shed and regrown, time consuming for something of humanoid size). Finally with insect wings there is the issue is that if you get muscle cramp, or hit anything and break a wing, you will fall, crash and unlike a tiny insect, hit the ground hard enough to result in serious injury or death. Note that by 'scaled wings' you necessarily mean tiny scales that can resist thorns but not anything more substantial, because anything heavier will be impose so much inertia that flapping flight will be ridiculously exhausting.

So basically feathered wings if you want to fly to places instead of taking a car, insect wings if you hate ladders. Membranous wings are essentially a lower performance but hypoallegenic version of feathered wings, but if you don't plan to fly that much the strength increase might be attractive.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Broomstick wrote: 2018-05-29 02:56pmI have ENOUGH feathers to clean up in this house courtesy of my parrots, and I'm not a speed demon so no on those.
I would note that most of the feathers (by number not mass) on birds are contour and down feathers, not flight feathers. Down feathers also produce the majority of the dust which causes allergic reactions, although some comes from the wings. Human sized wings will shed a smaller number of much larger feathers.

Scaled wings on the other hand are going to shed lots of scales. If we're being even vaugely realistic they can't be larger than sequins, as they're dead mass that doesn't add tensile strength, and more realistically even smaller like fish scales. That is at least hundreds of thousands and possibly millions of scales, that will either be peeled off in bulk as regular epidermis shedding or flake off individually, primarily when the wings are folded or unfolded.

Biomechanically, winged humanoids are not technically impossible, but can't look like humans using conventional biology. Really keen genetic engineering and/or nanotechnology using theoretical nanostructured materials might be able to do it, although of course the areodynamics are inherently awful compared to something bird shaped.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

From my point of view, I'm not convinced there's much of a space for exercise flight between walking distance, cycling distance, and inter-city train.
I'm not sure I'd want to try flying across the Severn Estury, speed or strength boost not withstanding.

So for me, the hover is amazing. I'm going full beetle.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee