Warhammer Adventures

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Warhammer Adventures

Post by Zor »

HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Warhammer Adventures

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Targeting a younger audience? Ohhhkay
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-05-21 04:09pm Targeting a younger audience? Ohhhkay
Considering that they're the perfect age to get hooked on the franchise, it's a pretty sweet idea. Also, as they mature they can move on to the "darker" material.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah, while at first 40K would seem a bit... mature for younger kids... there's things you could do. Adventure with Magos Indyjones seeking artifacts of the ancient eldar in a cursed tomb of the Necrons. The Inquisitor must discover the source of the plot against the Imperium. Is Young Biff tough enough for the Space Marines? Is Scout Biff going to make it back from his long range mission scouting against the Orks?

Basically, just kiddy adventure stuff, with a 40K flavor. Don't make it too gruesome or too deep, engage in 'mild peril' rather than ACTUAL peril, and it should pass.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Here's a quote from the Warhammer Community (official GW page) that should help. Emphasis mine.
I’m delighted to be bringing the adventure, excitement and thrills of life in the 41st Millennium to a new generation. There are going to be space battles and monsters, fearsome aliens and dangerous villains. But there will also be friendship and bravery in the form of our three lead characters; ganger Talen, Martian Mekki and explorer Zelia. They already know that life in the Imperium is tough, but they never expected that it would be this challenging, that they would find themselves lost and alone. As their quest begins, they will have to quickly learn who they can trust and what risks are worth taking. Above all, they will learn that need each other to survive.
In other words: standard preteen adventure fare. Less in-universe realistic, more using basic youth writing tropes to teach values via simple adventures and broad examples. See: Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew, Animorphs, Goosebumps, Choose Your Own Adventure (which would be totally *boss* in legit 40K actually), etcetera. It can be done with more curiosity and less blood splatter than one might expect.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-05-21 06:49pm Yeah, while at first 40K would seem a bit... mature for younger kids... there's things you could do. Adventure with Magos Indyjones seeking artifacts of the ancient eldar in a cursed tomb of the Necrons. The Inquisitor must discover the source of the plot against the Imperium. Is Young Biff tough enough for the Space Marines? Is Scout Biff going to make it back from his long range mission scouting against the Orks?

Basically, just kiddy adventure stuff, with a 40K flavor. Don't make it too gruesome or too deep, engage in 'mild peril' rather than ACTUAL peril, and it should pass.
Oh, derr, like HeroQuest.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-05-21 06:49pm Yeah, while at first 40K would seem a bit... mature for younger kids... there's things you could do. Adventure with Magos Indyjones seeking artifacts of the ancient eldar in a cursed tomb of the Necrons. The Inquisitor must discover the source of the plot against the Imperium. Is Young Biff tough enough for the Space Marines? Is Scout Biff going to make it back from his long range mission scouting against the Orks?

I don't know if you've actually read it or if this is a conincidence but Biff Tundrish was actually the name of an Imperial Fist space marine back in Ian Watson's 40K novel 'Space Marine' back in the very early 90s.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Considering that ABSOLUTE GRIMDARK is a cornerstone of the franchise, I would like to know what expression the writers and artists put in charge of this had when they learned just what they have to work with. I mean, this is a franchise where using humans for computing power is not considered noteworthy. People use actual human skulls as decoration. They are either going to play very fast and loose with the canon (such as it is) or are going to avoid the extremes.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Zixinus wrote: 2018-06-06 04:41pm They are either going to play very fast and loose with the canon (such as it is) or are going to avoid the extremes.
I'd say this is probably a safe given, yes. They aren't dumb. It is possible to tone this stuff down. That said, it's not unusual for kid-lit to get rather dark at times. The writer just has to be careful to avoid explicit imagery-- you could have a Khorne Berzerker shouting BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, just leave out the splattering blood and flying bits of people. Think about the Goosebumps series-- you wouldn't think a horror series for kids would be possible, but it is.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Pah stop underestimating kids.

When I was young I got told very real stories about how you have to pin down your buddy who had his arm blown off because his brain wont accept what happened and he won't let a medic treat him without physical intervention. And I turned out fine as long as you ignore all the problems.

The biggest problem with grimdark and a younger audience is just that younger readers might not have enough background knowledge to appreciate the dark humor behind the grimdark that makes it entertaining. But in terms of how 'bad' any of it actually is, 40K still tends to fall short of real life events, and often goes to such cartoonish limits that it mitigates it's own honor by turning into not subtle comedy. Often it basically mitigates it's own horror by inventing some actual reason why XYZ took place that's automatically far more reasonable then Himmler said so.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I thought the grimdark of 40k was supposed to be comedic?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Sea Skimmer wrote: 2018-06-07 12:34am Pah stop underestimating kids.

When I was young I got told very real stories about how you have to pin down your buddy who had his arm blown off because his brain wont accept what happened and he won't let a medic treat him without physical intervention. And I turned out fine as long as you ignore all the problems.
There are a lot of books/stories/biographies from the holocaust that are recomended reading for children. I read "Run Boy, Run" when I was ~10, and that's infinitely darker.

When it comes to British Dark fantasy, Robin Jarvis has been traumatizing younger kids than this for far longer. (He is absolutely vicious when it comes to killing of characters, in nasty ways. Said characters being children, young animals, main characters, or all of the above makes no difference). Fantastic books :)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.