You are head of Cadmus (DC Animated Universe)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: You are head of Cadmus (DC Animated Universe)

Post by Crazedwraith »

Why is the JL having a FTL unacceptable? If your goal is protecting the earth fron them, all they go do with it is... travel away from the Earth and be someone else's problem.

Not to mention threatening to outlaw them if they don't hand it over is precipitating the crisis your organisation is supposed to stop as step 1 of stopping it. So you're forcing a confrontation before you can possibly be ready for it.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-05-26 07:20am Why is the JL having a FTL unacceptable? If your goal is protecting the earth fron them, all they go do with it is... travel away from the Earth and be someone else's problem.
Perhaps because it means that if they are ever operating against the Earth, they have strategic depth, and ability to engage in hit and run strikes, that we simply cannot counter?

That and they might well get Earth embroiled in interstellar conflicts, which is really a call the government should be making, not a private entity.
Not to mention threatening to outlaw them if they don't hand it over is precipitating the crisis your organisation is supposed to stop as step 1 of stopping it. So you're forcing a confrontation before you can possibly be ready for it.
Well, an ultimatum probably wouldn't be my first move. We can always try it the easy way first, while we build up our own capabilities.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-05-25 10:39pm That's Futurama, Solauren. And, we have plenty of stoned, unwashed vegan hippies to feed angry aliens.
Congratulations, you caught the reference.

However, the point stands. There are very few corporations that can be trusted to act responsibly on this planet, under direct government authority, let alone off world outside of government oversight.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

True.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Another thing that needs to be considered are the various Supervillians.

I'm of mind that some of them could be recruited. Not many, but some.

For example....
Mr. Freeze's motivation is funding to research a cure for his wife, a cure for himself, and possibly developing cyro/ice based technology.

He could be recruited in exchange for funding for his research. He does the research, the government gets him off the street and his mind working towards solving problems. Also, his technology has useful military and civilian applications.
i.e Fire fighters armed with freeze guns, Police using freeze guns for riot control.

I admit, this would have to be done and considered carefully.

The other supervillians, like say, the Joker, need to be neutralized. Dealing with them takes resources away that could be used to offset the Justice League or protecting against other hostiles.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Solauren wrote: 2018-05-27 08:29am Another thing that needs to be considered are the various Supervillians.

I'm of mind that some of them could be recruited. Not many, but some.

For example....
Mr. Freeze's motivation is funding to research a cure for his wife, a cure for himself, and possibly developing cyro/ice based technology.

He could be recruited in exchange for funding for his research. He does the research, the government gets him off the street and his mind working towards solving problems. Also, his technology has useful military and civilian applications.
i.e Fire fighters armed with freeze guns, Police using freeze guns for riot control.

I admit, this would have to be done and considered carefully.
Sadly, in the DCAU at this point, Mr. Freeze is in a bit of a nihilism phase, his wife was cured, but he can't be with her due to his condition rotting away everything from the neck down. Maybe you can try the events of "Meltdown" a few decades earlier and potentially clone him?