Black Panther Release Thread (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: Black Panther Release Thread (spoilers)

Post by Rogue 9 »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2018-03-13 01:22am I'd like to point out that when Killmonger first ordered the Heart-Shaped Herb garden burned he was met with verbal resistance. He then physically threatened the person who was trying to talk him out, so everyone in the room concluded that staying alive meant burning the Herb. As to what everyone else would think...
We didn't see him interact with any Wakandans other than W'kabi's tribe after that, and W'kabi was apparently behind whatever the fuck he did since Killmonger got Klaue and was seeing through his wet dream of conquering the world.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Is the chemical which nullifies the Black Panther powers for challenges made from the same herbs? Otherwise Killmonger would be fucked the moment someone decided to put it in his drink.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

GHETTO EDIT: This is why there's no Black Widow movie! :P :lol:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Just waitimg for after credits scenes now.

Its a fine movie and forgive me if this has been discussed before. But its bugs me. Doesnt the world already know thst Wakanda is more than it seemed. The wakandans that got blown up accisentally by in Civil War were already on a science outreach mission.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-03-16 12:17pm Just waitimg for after credits scenes now.

Its a fine movie and forgive me if this has been discussed before. But its bugs me. Doesnt the world already know thst Wakanda is more than it seemed. The wakandans that got blown up accisentally by in Civil War were already on a science outreach mission.
Wasn't it a regular aid mission?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

AniThyng wrote: 2018-03-16 01:29pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-03-16 12:17pm Just waitimg for after credits scenes now.

I'd have to rewatch Civil War to refresh the details but it was some kind of aid working and I'm sure T'Chakka's speech at least hinted they were way more that farmers. It's not a big thing but I did notice it.

Also if they never caught Klaw when did they brand him?
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-03-16 01:53pm
I'm guessing he got caught, branded, and then broke out and escaped. Either as part of the original heist, or the original heist was his *second* try and he was tapped by T'chaka's brother with 'how would you like to know how to try again and get away this time?'.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-03-16 01:53pm
AniThyng wrote: 2018-03-16 01:29pm

I'd have to rewatch Civil War to refresh the details but it was some kind of aid working and I'm sure T'Chakka's speech at least hinted they were way more that farmers. It's not a big thing but I did notice it.

They were medical aid workers. No implied superscience, just an outreach program T'Chakka started to improve Wakanda's image after their stolen Vibranium was used to trash Sokovia.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Semi-related, Marvel co-produced with BET and ran on the network a Black Panther cartoon mini-series back in 2011, and is currently streaming it free on their YouTube channel.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Good lord I really don't like John Romita Jr's artwork...

Anyway. I saw this the other night. I can't say as I have too much to add to the reviews here, but for my part, I enjoyed it, it seemed fairly clearly written in that both protagonist and antagonist's motivations were laid out, and the finale of the film I couldn't argue with too much.

Would've been nice if they had the last post-credits scene happen *during* the credits though rather than waiting until the very end of the credits, though.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-03-19 03:57pm Good lord I really don't like John Romita Jr's artwork...
Yeah, I really don't care for the animation style either. I just thought I'd leave it here in case someone might want to see it.
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-03-19 03:57pmWould've been nice if they had the last post-credits scene happen *during* the credits though rather than waiting until the very end of the credits, though.
Yeah, but they're not going to do that. It's a ploy to make people sit through the credits; being done with post-credits scenes before the end of the credits defeats the purpose. :wink:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

As I said before, I just knew that we'd see Bucky again given he'd been put on ice at the end of CW- it was telling that they felt the need to introduce him by name in case the audience didn't immediately recognise him. Even though being a post-credits scene casual viewers don't usually hang around until the very end, the ones most likely to do so are also most likely to recognise Bucky immediately IMO. Unless somehow they missed the awesomeness that was Civil War! :mrgreen:
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Pulling Bucky out at this point was mostly to keep him fresh for the upcoming Infinity War movies. Pretty sure anybody who stuck around for the last post-credits scene is enough of a fan that they'll have watched most of the other movies.

EDIT: I've been thinking about this for a minute and I think I have a problem, actually.

Go back to Age of Ultron. Ultron attacks Ulysses Klaue to steal his vibranium, right, and the Avengers show up, Wanda screws with their heads, Hulk goes off on one of his rampages... wasn't that in Wakanda? In a rather large city for that matter? And one of Tony's moves is to buy a skyscraper outright before he pile-drives Hulk through it?

I'm not 100%-- it could've been a city in South Africa-- but I think the implication was pretty strong it was Wakanda, and if so, that doesn't really jive with the whole cloaked-metropolis thing they had going in Black Panther. At the very least, if it was the same city, Tony would have *definitely* noticed the high tech present like maglev cable-cars and UFO shuttles. I suppose there's a possibility that it's *another* city in Wakanda that the Wakandans present as a facade to keep outsiders' curiosity down, which I could kinda see them doing, but something about it has been niggling me since I thought back to AoU.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

I didn't see any implication that it was Wakanda. The Iron Man/Hulk fight scene was filmed in Johannesburg, though I believe in the movie it's supposed to be Cape Town. The only reference to Wakanda in AoU is that Klaue's brand is Wakandan, and all references to Wakanda in the MCU have placed it around Kenya, Uganda, and Ethiopia.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Hm. I suppose it might have been a South African city. I honestly don't recall if it said one way or the other. The main thing I remember is that Klaue was in a ship graveyard, off the coast obviously though it could have been a big lake like Lake Victoria or Lake Tanganyika, which would be about the right area for Wakanda.

I suppose if it didn't say outright in a caption or something, it was probably just supposed to be a generic large African city or something like that. If it came up in dialogue I probably missed it; captions devices (as opposed to on-screen captions) are notorious for being unreliable.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

If Klaw was there and alive, it wasn't Wakanda. South Africa makes sense because, hey, he's from there.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-03-21 02:07pm Hm. I suppose it might have been a South African city. I honestly don't recall if it said one way or the other. The main thing I remember is that Klaue was in a ship graveyard, off the coast obviously though it could have been a big lake like Lake Victoria or Lake Tanganyika, which would be about the right area for Wakanda.

I suppose if it didn't say outright in a caption or something, it was probably just supposed to be a generic large African city or something like that. If it came up in dialogue I probably missed it; captions devices (as opposed to on-screen captions) are notorious for being unreliable.
Klaue was NOT in Wakanda. It was South Africa, because the Hulk was trashing Johannesburg. Klaue's base was a rusting ship named the "Churchill" in the middle of the "Salvage Yard" along South Africa's coast.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-03-12 04:29pm China doesn't like it, as it's 'too black'. Quartz
Grace Randolph weighs in on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfCtwoCmacA

Essentially BP made at least $95 million in China, most probably will reach $100 million by the time it finishes. Which is pretty much similar to what other Marvel movies made in China (Spider man $116 million, Thor Ragnorak $112 million, Doctor Strange $100 million, GotG vol 2 $100 million). She further elaborates, Chinese audiences like other disney movies over the Marvel ones.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.