The Last Jedi Force Addition (Dresden Files, THE LAST JEDI SPOILERS).

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The Last Jedi Force Addition (Dresden Files, THE LAST JEDI SPOILERS).

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Moments after Rey is brought to Snoke's throne room, a tear appears in the fabric of the universe, and a man steps through, into Snoke's throne room. He is middle-aged, muscular, and wearing a white cloak with a cross, and Kevlar armour with chain mail underneath. He is armed with the Holy sword Amorachius (aka the Sword of Love, aka Excalibur), a back-up knife, and the power of Faith.

His name is Michael Carpenter, Knight of the Cross.

Can he save Kylo Ren (or Snoke :lol: ) by helping them to find redemption? And if not, can he defeat them and Snoke's guard in battle?

Harry Dresden is holding the way to the Never Never open so Michael can return home, but can't step through himself because mortal magic fucks technology six ways to Sunday, and they're on a freaking spaceship. He's already pushing his luck by opening a Way, but will be on hand to cover any retreat and deal with any pursuit. Harry has given Michael the full run-down on everything he knows about the Star Wars franchise.

Assume that Michael's abilities as a Knight are in full effect. These include, to my recollection:

-Limited foreknowledge (for example, Michael had a presentiment that his career as a Knight would soon be over, which turned out to be correct).

-Possible talent for seeing through lies/deception.

-"Coincidences" tend to work in his favour, at least when he's on the job. For example, someone conveniently showing up to baby-sit his kids when he needs to be off being the Fist of God.

-The power of Faith, which can help break mind control magic, among other things. We'll assume that it works the same way against Dark Side mind control, for the purposes of this thread.

-Excellent hand-to-hand combat skills, including great skill with his sword.

-Some field medic knowledge.

The Sword will provide protection against the Dark Side of the Force, just as Fidelachius negated Anduriel when Harry fought Nicodemus in Small Favor.

I'm not quite sure what rules of engagement Michael is operating under here- Snoke and Kylo Ren are not Denarians. Is he still obligated to give them a chance at choosing redemption before resorting to violence? I'd guess so, but I'm not sure.

In either case, I'm going to assume that using the Sword against its intended purpose (like killing an innocent, or executing someone who has surrendered, even if its a phony surrender) will negate its powers, and potentially destroy it/leave it vulnerable to destruction.

So, will Michael fare as well against the Dark Side as he did against the Forces of Hell?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Last Jedi Force Addition (Dresden Files, THE LAST JEDI SPOILERS).

Post by Crazedwraith »

Butters would have been a better choice for this scenario. ;)

I don't think Michael has much chance the convert or fight if only from sheer numbers of opponents. If nothing else Snoke and Kylo can smack him about TK ala ESB even if we assume they can't TK him directly because of divine protection.

Michael's a good man but he's got not connection to Snoke or Kylo, nothing to convince them on. The ineffable ways of God aren't much to the concrete and demonstrable power of the Force.

eta: if you want to defeat Snoke and Ren you've already highlighted the easiest way. Dresden rips a really big portal, steps through, hexes all the tech in sight and retreats before the earth shattering kaboom.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-01-11 04:28am Butters would have been a better choice for this scenario. ;)
You're probably right- hell, you're definitely right.

But Michael is my favorite character in the series, and when I think of the Knights, I think of Michael.

Still, feel free to discuss how Butters would fare in his place if you wish.
I don't think Michael has much chance the convert or fight if only from sheer numbers of opponents. If nothing else Snoke and Kylo can smack him about TK ala ESB even if we assume they can't TK him directly because of divine protection.
Yeah, they could get clever and chuck objects at him, even if they can't hit him directly.

Hope Michael's dodging skills are up to snuff.
Michael's a good man but he's got not connection to Snoke or Kylo, nothing to convince them on. The ineffable ways of God aren't much to the concrete and demonstrable power of the Force.

eta: if you want to defeat Snoke and Ren you've already highlighted the easiest way. Dresden rips a really big portal, steps through, hexes all the tech in sight and retreats before the earth shattering kaboom.
Leaving Rey dead, in all likelihood, but I suppose you could argue acceptable collateral damage.

I doubt Harry "I must protect the damsel in distress" Dresden would feel that way about it though. Maaybe late series Harry would be that cold (pun intended) if the stakes were high enough, though.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

The tech doesn't instantly fail catastrophically, I'd think. And there's likely a range limit to the Hex Effect. Even if, say, the life support systems in the chamber died, there'd be enough air for a while. Enough to get Rey out.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Harry's pretty clear on his tech-hexxing abilities early in the series. It tends to fail fairly quickly, if over time, when he's trying to keep himself from causing it to fail. When that man wants tech to explode in your face? That shit will explode in your face. If he went in their with a mind to wreak havoc, there's gonna be havoc.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And the more advanced the technology, the worse it tends to be.

Put him on a starship, and it might very well go straight to a main reactor breach or something.