Alita Battle Angel Movie previews

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JamesStaley
Youngling

Alita Battle Angel Movie previews

Post by JamesStaley »

FINALLY, after a decade of waiting, anime fans are finally getting the live-action Battle Angel Alita Movie we have been so eagerly waiting for! They're running the previews for it with The Last Jedi movie, and I like what I'm seeing. It appears it's going to be fairly faithful to the manga, with the main characters of Alita and Ido resembling their manga characters as closely as is possible in real life.
Now if we could only get real-life Gundam, Macross and Evangelion movies! :)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Alita Battle Angel Movie previews

Post by LadyTevar »

What did you think of the CGI'd eyes?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I'll say seeing them on the big screen before TLJ, they worked better for me than they did on a youtube video.

This looks pretty awesome, though I've seen a couple people mention the true payoff will be if it gets a sequel: Rollerball.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

JamesStaley wrote: 2017-12-27 08:16pm FINALLY, after a decade of waiting, anime fans are finally getting the live-action Battle Angel Alita Movie we have been so eagerly waiting for! They're running the previews for it with The Last Jedi movie, and I like what I'm seeing. It appears it's going to be fairly faithful to the manga, with the main characters of Alita and Ido resembling their manga characters as closely as is possible in real life.
Now if we could only get real-life Gundam, Macross and Evangelion movies! :)
There was a live-action Gundam movie back in '99(for the 20th anniversary of Mobile Suit Gundam) called G-Saviour, which, while it had some decent visuals and a promising back story, was medicore at best.

What I'm waiting for is a Legend Of Galactic Heroes, though I will settle for an offical subbed/dubbed version of the original series.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I understand getting an official LOGH is very unlikely, since a company would have to commit to the *whole* thing in one big package and that is a lot of stuff.

It’s not like Alita with it’s individual arcs.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

At least the LOGH books are getting an official translation now.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Hasn't there been a live action Robotech/Macross as well? But I'm probably wrong on that.

There's also definitely been a live action Space Battleship Yamato, and there was that Harlock movie a few years ago, which admittedly wasn't live action.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

What was the final ep count for LOTGH? 113 or something?
it is a hell of ambitious thing to try and take on since the western market for it is limited at best...
so very sad :C
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Honestly I don't see much of a reason to make LOGH into a live action movie. A TV show/miniseries a la Game of Thrones, that would be another matter. The problem is whether a Western audience would be interested. Simply redoing the anime into live action wouldn't engage people very much, I'm afraid.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-12-28 04:37pm Honestly I don't see much of a reason to make LOGH into a live action movie. A TV show/miniseries a la Game of Thrones, that would be another matter. The problem is whether a Western audience would be interested. Simply redoing the anime into live action wouldn't engage people very much, I'm afraid.

Yeah, you would have to re work a lot of the plot and re-write much of it from scratch.
The original anime holds up well because it is a fairly direct adaptation of the original book series.
But...It only "holds up" in terms of the series as a book adaptation, consisting of a LOT of books. As you say in places it is a bit like GOT (especially with the amount of people who get killed off, but not that bad)
Personally I would just like to see a good solid Re-Release of the original anime with good subtitles. Would happily pay for an official collection.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2017-12-28 04:32pm What was the final ep count for LOTGH? 113 or something?
it is a hell of ambitious thing to try and take on since the western market for it is limited at best...
so very sad :C
Plus some movies iirc.

For translating to the US, Alita strikes me as one of the very best classic manga to do- especially now that we can hire cyborg actors who look like they have proper machine parts and can shoot chain-fingers at people. The plot is straightforward but strong, split up into filmable segments of her life, the character memorable, the emotions intense, and the setting awesome.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-12-28 04:26pm Hasn't there been a live action Robotech/Macross as well? But I'm probably wrong on that.

There's also definitely been a live action Space Battleship Yamato, and there was that Harlock movie a few years ago, which admittedly wasn't live action.
CGI, but it was awesome. Better than the live action Yamato, though that wasn't too bad either.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford