Avengers: Infinity War trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Avengers: Infinity War trailer

Post by ANGELUS »

The first trailer is here:

~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Avengers: Infinity War trailer

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah, i saw it on FB earlier. Watched it through with a huge grin.

I mean... okay it's just another comic book movie? But it has great potential to be THE comic book movie of a decade that's contained a great many pretty decent comic book movies. It brings together characters from a multitude of films, and puts them on the line... out of universe as much as in universe; Downey, Hemsworth and Evans are all about to run out their contracts with Marvel, so what's going to happen to those characters? Is Marvel actually about to kill them off? We don't know. This is something that's never quite been done in the movies (well, I suppose Superman getting killed off in BvS might count). It's interesting-times territory, that's for sure.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

As with Thor not watching the trailers to avoid a) overhyping and b) Way too much of the plot revealled in trailers.

Not forgiven CA:CW for showing the final fight in the trailer.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So...how much of the other movies that I never got around to watching will I need to see, I wonder? Or if it'll be like the original Avengers, where not watching Thor beforehand didn't really hamper much of anything.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, Thor underwent major changes in Ragnarok, and Captain America: Civil War set up the current disposition of the Avengers as of the start of the movie, but other than that you should be fine.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I am more hyped for Black Panther, but this look quite good.
Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-11-29 11:37am Yeah, i saw it on FB earlier. Watched it through with a huge grin.

I mean... okay it's just another comic book movie? But it has great potential to be THE comic book movie of a decade that's contained a great many pretty decent comic book movies. It brings together characters from a multitude of films, and puts them on the line... out of universe as much as in universe; Downey, Hemsworth and Evans are all about to run out their contracts with Marvel, so what's going to happen to those characters? Is Marvel actually about to kill them off? We don't know. This is something that's never quite been done in the movies (well, I suppose Superman getting killed off in BvS might count). It's interesting-times territory, that's for sure.
They're not going to kill off the characters, though they could re-actor some of them.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Any guesses whether they're using any of the comic plot? Or would it be ruled out by events in the films? FWIW, I've read (and maybe even remember little bits of) Infinity Gauntlet, but I don't think I ever read Infinity War. That was about the time I was losing interest in the Big Two.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

SpottedKitty wrote: 2017-11-30 03:42am Any guesses whether they're using any of the comic plot? Or would it be ruled out by events in the films? FWIW, I've read (and maybe even remember little bits of) Infinity Gauntlet, but I don't think I ever read Infinity War. That was about the time I was losing interest in the Big Two.
This is far closer to the original IG storyline than it is Infinity War (which is about what happens when Adam Warlock gets the gauntlet, then splits off his good and evil). It seems like it's going to do a lot of new stuff, with the prominent roles of Wakanda and the Guardians, the latter of which didn't even exist when the old stories were done.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I've heard rumours Avengers 4 will actually be subtitled "Infinity Gauntlet" - following directly on from IW. Logically it would involve Adam Warlock in some form, especially as he was teased in GOTG 2.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-11-29 11:41amb) Way too much of the plot revealled in trailers.
And I should have stuck to that rule. Just saw something I totally didn't need to see until the movie itself.

Otherwise, yea, I'll see it.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I'll see it, but honestly not excited. I am not familiar with the comic storyline, so fanservice does nothing for me, and this just looks like it is doubling down on the two problems that really plague many of the recent superhero movies:

1) Too many characters. The previous Avengers movie was cluttered enough with all the heroes they crammed into it, but now they are adding even more on top (and not even counting the set of characters revealed at the end of the trailer, which I won't mention here for those who opt out of watching it to avoid spoilers). Like, without even getting to the B-list characters, there's at least 20 main heroes in this thing, many of which are played by stars big enough to demand serious screen-time and lines (and several of which are characters that in previous films have been increasingly developed towards having prominent roles in the group). Either it's going to be 4 hours long, or it's going to be Captain America and Iron Man talking then a bunch of CGI fight scenes where we get to see each of the other characters throw a punch or something.

2) The villain. Yes, I know that Thanos has a lot of lore around him in the comics, but they simply won't have time to get into any of that in this movie. Basically, he is just going to be another generic evil alien with vague evil motivations who needs to get a vaguely powerful MacGuffin in order to do something vaguely evil. It's just a boring formula for a villain.

Obviously, this is going to make a butt-load of money. I just can't see it being very interesting or compelling for anyone who isn't already super knowledgeable about the comics, because the movies haven't really done a good job setting up Thanos and the Infinity Whatevers other than acknowledging they exist and are powerful.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2017-11-30 09:36am I'll see it, but honestly not excited. I am not familiar with the comic storyline, so fanservice does nothing for me, and this just looks like it is doubling down on the two problems that really plague many of the recent superhero movies:
Aside from Thanos getting the Infinity Gauntlet, I don't get any other vibes from the trailer about how similar this movie is going to be to the story. We don't even get to see his motivation for getting the gauntlet which defines who he is.
1) Too many characters. The previous Avengers movie was cluttered enough with all the heroes they crammed into it, but now they are adding even more on top (and not even counting the set of characters revealed at the end of the trailer, which I won't mention here for those who opt out of watching it to avoid spoilers). Like, without even getting to the B-list characters, there's at least 20 main heroes in this thing, many of which are played by stars big enough to demand serious screen-time and lines (and several of which are characters that in previous films have been increasingly developed towards having prominent roles in the group). Either it's going to be 4 hours long, or it's going to be Captain America and Iron Man talking then a bunch of CGI fight scenes where we get to see each of the other characters throw a punch or something.
That's obviously the problem of getting all those characters in a movie. One of the reason why some of these crossover storylines work in comics is that there are lots of characters teaming up. I am going to see how Marvel does it, but IIRC its supposed to be part one and two, so combined two movies, you could potentially get 4 hours worth and a bit more to tell the whole story.
2) The villain. Yes, I know that Thanos has a lot of lore around him in the comics, but they simply won't have time to get into any of that in this movie. Basically, he is just going to be another generic evil alien with vague evil motivations who needs to get a vaguely powerful MacGuffin in order to do something vaguely evil. It's just a boring formula for a villain.
I don't recall that many appearances of Thanos in the comic before Infinity Gauntlet, since he was kind of dead, having been killed by Adam Warlock. It was the Infinity Gauntlet storyline which made him into the villain he is, so I don't necessarily mind that they haven't shown much of a back story in the other movies.
Obviously, this is going to make a butt-load of money. I just can't see it being very interesting or compelling for anyone who isn't already super knowledgeable about the comics, because the movies haven't really done a good job setting up Thanos and the Infinity Whatevers other than acknowledging they exist and are powerful.
In the comics, no one but Thanos figured out just how powerful the Infinity gems are when combined. The comics didn't really need to set up the power of the individual Infinity gems either. In fact aside from Warlock's soul gem, the comics most probably set them up less than the Marvel movies. Arguably if this didn't detract from the comics, it won't detract from the movie.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Arguably if this didn't detract from the comics, it won't detract from the movie.
As I said, I haven't read the comics, so I don't really know what's going on there. But if Thanos is just as unexplained in the comics as it appears he may be in the movie, then I would argue that DOES detract from the comics. Regardless of medium, that's poor storytelling. It probably works a bit better in the serialized comic book format than it would in a movie, but ... well, there's a reason the most memorable villains are ones with clear motivations, and pop culture doesn't often remember the villain-of-the-week.

For example, the recent Justice League movie ... well, it was a mess for a LOT of reasons, but honestly one of the biggest reasons is that the villain was just another random generic evil alien with no specific motivation other than to be evil and get punched by the good guys. The lack of a coherent villain makes for a lack of coherent drama, which just serves to highlight whatever other faults in the characters/story-telling exist. It's a lot easier to overlook plot holes and inconsistencies if you have a clear conflict with a villain ... look no further than "The Dark Knight", which to be frank has a LOT of problems in its storytelling, but which aren't super important because the overarching drama between Batman and the Joker was so well executed. And I think this is a pattern that holds for most modern superhero movies ... the worst ones all tend to be the ones with the most forgettable and/or uninteresting villains, and the best ones tend to the the ones that most clearly outline the who/what/why of the villain.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The MCU has a chronic lack of interesting villains. The only ones that seemed anything other than dull forgettable to me overall were Loki, early Grant Ward on Agents of SHIELD, they one in the recent Spiderman movie (mostly because of the actor), and the guy in the second Guardians of the Galaxy film. Maybe Bucky in Winter Soldier, if I'm feeling generous. I've heard good things about Tennant's character in Jessica Jones, but never saw it.

The others are mostly nonsensical, forgettable, or both.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Ultimately the name is because comic events have had some cool names. The MCU has developed enough that it's got it's own story and much different path.

Thanos, with any luck, will get a lot more characterization than past villains. Though the fact I feel more confident in Black Panther doing so is why I'm more hyped for that one...
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

So in the comics, Thanos was obsessed with courting Death (as in, the actual embodiment, like DEATH-Death), and the Gauntlet was basically his way to get her attention.

I'm wondering if, within the scope of the MCU, the Russo's will give any kind of nod to this, maybe in the form of some past fling with Hela (Goddess of Death) instead of Death herself?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I'm calling it:

At the end of the movie Thanos has essentially won and the Guardians show up, and the scene in the trailer is essentially their only scene.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

NeoGoomba wrote: 2017-12-01 01:45pm So in the comics, Thanos was obsessed with courting Death (as in, the actual embodiment, like DEATH-Death), and the Gauntlet was basically his way to get her attention.

I'm wondering if, within the scope of the MCU, the Russo's will give any kind of nod to this, maybe in the form of some past fling with Hela (Goddess of Death) instead of Death herself?
Considering we have a full accounting of her whereabouts and associates from the moment she was released from her prison to the moment of her death, that would be difficult. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-12-01 05:49pm
NeoGoomba wrote: 2017-12-01 01:45pm So in the comics, Thanos was obsessed with courting Death (as in, the actual embodiment, like DEATH-Death), and the Gauntlet was basically his way to get her attention.

Considering we have a full accounting of her whereabouts and associates from the moment she was released from her prison to the moment of her death, that would be difficult. :P
Well - apparent death. She kinda disappeared when the sword went through. :)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

My enthusiasm for the MCU has been diminishing for a year or two now, but I'm looking forward to this. This is the culmination of an unprecedented film experiment. I respect Marvel's willingness to take a chance on doing something unprecedented on this scale in film, and despite the odd misstep, I'm curious to see how it plays out.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-12-01 05:49pm

And yet we know very little of her exploits before Odin had his change of heart. All we know is that she wielded Mjolnir and was a genocidal maniac enough to become the Goddess of Death. Could have been enough to catch affections of a young Thanos.

Maybe he had posters of her up in his bedroom as a kid? :mrgreen:
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

They've merged a few characters (Iron Man villains for example) and objects (cosmic cube=infinity stone) so it wouldn't surprise me if Hela was the object of Thanos' desire.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Also, since I didn't initially note my feelings of the trailer on this particular part of the internet:

HNNNNNG GET FUCKING HYPE.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)