Batman and Harley Quinn animated film.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Batman and Harley Quinn animated film.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The Killing Joke adaptation soured me a bit on DC animation, but posting this because I thought the trailer was funny, and because its Halloween and I've always felt that Batman makes excellent Halloween entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0pI8TT9AZ0

"Friends don't let friends kill seven billion people." :lol:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: Batman and Harley Quinn animated film.

Post by Q99 »

DC animation isn't consistent as it used to be, but it still makes gems.

Like the Justice League Action shorts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaK3DZ3v-WM
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The movie is a kind of weak Batman: TAS episode. At least I thought it was a bit disappointing.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

The movie doesn't hold up well.
The first time I watched it, I howled with laughter through most of it, the jokes were random and so much of it had this whole:
"WAIT did they actually just make THAT joke?" thing going on. Much of it kept going at a pace where one absurd moment leads into another.

Problem is, it only worked once.
Second time watching it, I barely chuckled at all, and spent much of it with my back seat nerd going "Batman would NEVER act that way" and similar moments.

For those who saw it, I think the biggest moment is really the ending. Batman has faced down titans, gods, Alien hours from beyond. And yet seems to thrown in the towel, only for Harley to save the world!
I personally would say the best way to rationalize it is saying it is a Batman: TAS episode... "Told from the POV of Harley Quinn"

Don't get me wrong, It was an enjoyable movie, it is just a mater of how much you can see it.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2017-11-18 01:54pm
I personally would say the best way to rationalize it is saying it is a Batman: TAS episode... "Told from the POV of Harley Quinn"
That's a good way to look at it. I might have to watch it again with that in mind.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I think the best way to look at it is that this is essentially one big fan-service in movie form. Especially fan service for Harley, in a surprisingly good way.

Even with that, I don't think it's bad, except for the ending. We deserved more than one shot of Jason on fire, after watching the bastard shrug off everything else.

It is also a bit of a letdown in that Batman is resorting to lethal force. But as pointed out, the movie is about the characters stepping out of their usual boundaries for comedic value.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.