Lucius goes rogue (Harry Potter altnerate reality).

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Lucius goes rogue (Harry Potter altnerate reality).

Post by The Romulan Republic »

An idea that popped up in my Game of Thrones/Harry Potter crossover thread, though this thread is otherwise unrelated to that one.

Basically, what the title says- what if Lucius Malfoy decides he's tired of playing second-fiddle to that washed-up half-blood Tom Riddle, and tries to set himself up as Minister/Dark Lord/whatever? NOT a Malfoy redemption, necessarily, but just "I'm sick of being number two".

I mean, this isn't that far off from canon: Malfoy was the number two Death Eater for a while, and after Voldemort fell the first time, he basically claimed innocence and wormed his way into a semi-respectable position in society, using his money and connections to manipulate the Ministry and erode Dumbledore's influence. He was well on his way to being the power behind the throne, so to speak, before Voldemort came back, and he played a fairly cleaver game in Chamber of Secrets which, if he hadn't tried to overreach in making threats to Hogwarts governors to get Dumbledore removed, without actually having a plan to end the crisis himself, might have ended in all of his main political opponents thoroughly discredited, and himself the hero of the hour. And even then, he was well-enough concealed that Dumbledore couldn't prove a thing against him.

It seems as though he stood to benefit more from a world where Voldemort never returned, and he does eventually just say fuck it and quit during the Battle of Hogwarts, because he cares more about his family than staying loyal to Voldemort no matter what.

Now, he's only a mediocre fighter, but that's what Aurors or hired thugs are for, yes? And making a play for power himself would be more in keeping with Slytherin ambition than being Voldemort's lackey.

So, let's say that at the end of book one, Lucius hears the rumours about Voldemort trying to steal the Philosopher's Stone, and realizes a few things:

1. The old boss is still out there.

2. He's going to be pissed at me for turning my coat and disavowing him.

3. I'm enjoying being wealthy and respected and the power behind the throne, and I don't feel like going back to playing second fiddle to a mad man who might torture and kill me and my family at any time.

Could Lucius credibly form a successful third faction, presuming he grew a bit more of a backbone? What might that look like?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
JLTucker
BANNED

Re: Lucius goes rogue (Harry Potter altnerate reality).

Post by JLTucker »

Hell no. He's a gigantic pussy and yes man. He's never had leadership ambitions. Getting his kid involved made him a little bitch. Bellatrix would do better than him.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-18 07:21pm Hell no. He's a gigantic pussy and yes man. He's never had leadership ambitions. Getting his kid involved made him a little bitch. Bellatrix would do better than him.
Bellatrix wouldn't, because basically her entire characterization other than "nuts" and "sadistic" is her pathological devotion to Voldemort.

And yeah, obviously, canon Lucius didn't, and wouldn't. I do think that, reading between the lines, he probably wasn't particularly happy about Voldemort coming back, didn't particularly benefit from it, and he did quit in the end (albeit only when it was a choice between loyalty to Voldemort and loyalty to family, he had lost all standing among the Death Eaters, and Voldemort was losing anyway), which is part of why this scenario intrigues me- because if you change Lucius's personality just a little, it would make sense. And I disagree that he had no leadership ambitions- he was clearly setting himself up as the political power behind the scenes, actively trying to push Dumbledore out and advance a pure-blood supremacist agenda through political avenues, while Voldemort was out of commission. But I agree that canon Lucius wouldn't have the nerve to try rebelling against Voldemort.

Its a hypothetical scenario based on the premise "what if Lucius was the same awful, scheming, power-hungry person, except with an engorgement charm cast on his balls"? :lol:

Plus, the timing I picked is significant- right after Philosopher's Stone. When he could plausibly find out that Voldemort is out there, and trying to come back, but Voldemort doesn't have the power to punish him for his betrayal yet, and probably won't for at least a few years. And before the Chamber of Secrets debacle eroded his growing power a bit.

Edit: Another reason Belatrix wouldn't do as well, even if she tried (which would require a much bigger 180 in terms of characterization, I think)- she had no political connections or skill. I mean, can you see Belatrix making backroom deals while playing the respectable member of society? I can't. She's a blunt instrument, who's only asset is some talent at black magic and dueling, and who is only really of use when you want someone to go on a murder spree to terrorize the opposition.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

A key component of the Death Eaters, aside from blood purity nonsense, is their loyalty to Voldemort. I don't think Lucius can inspire that kind of loyalty without massive bribes. He could certainly manuever pieces into place via influence and bribes, but I don't think he could amass anyone's loyalty to fight for him the way Dumbledore or Voldemort could. That would be his biggest problem. He doesn't seem to have the charisma.

Second, unless something changes regarding the Weasley winning a vacation to Egypt, Sirius Black will be escaping from Hogwarts to find Scabbers/Pettigrew because he saw the rat alive in the newspaper, and this will cause the resurrection of the Dark Lord, unless for some reason, Lucius would want to shelter him inside his home. Which I don't see happening. Maybe he could make Pettigrew into a lackey, maybe. Or have him killed, who knows?

Third, barring those factors, I could see him aligning with Umbridge and causing a clampdown on Dumbledore a few years early.

Fourth, does he know about the horcruxes? He might send Draco to gather the ones already at Hogwarts, but that's a few small needles in a huge haystack. The others are held by the Blacks. It might be in his favor to let Dumbledore know about them, and let the heroes do the dirty work. If he knows, that is.

No Dark Lord, he would just have to keep Wheeling and dealing until Magical Britain becomes horrifyingly pure blood.

Also, it's spelled alternate. :P
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Unfortunately, Lucius is a marked Death Eater. That means Voldemort summons him, he comes or he experiences pain.

We also don't know if Voldemort can kill via the Dark Mark.

So, unless Lucius has a way to block Voldemort's return (beyond locking the diary away in a Gringots vault or calling down Fiendfyre), Peter's discovery during the third year of the series will still lead to Voldemort's return, and Lucius still becoming Voldemort's bitch.

I think that was the entire point of Lucius. He was enjoying his power and wealth, while he could, in a way that if Voldemort returned, he could go "yeah, I claimed Imperius, but I used that to covertly take power in the Ministry without being elected or held to their rules. What shall you have me have them do first, my lord?"
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2017-09-19 12:03amA key component of the Death Eaters, aside from blood purity nonsense, is their loyalty to Voldemort.
A loyalty that I doubt is inspired by anything other than self-interest and/or fear, with the exception of a very few outliers like Bellatrix and Barty Jr, neither of whom are shining examples of mental stability.
I don't think Lucius can inspire that kind of loyalty without massive bribes.
True, but he's got the money to deliver said massive bribes - that's how he got Fudge's ear.
Second, unless something changes regarding the Weasley winning a vacation to Egypt, Sirius Black will be escaping from Hogwarts to find Scabbers/Pettigrew because he saw the rat alive in the newspaper, and this will cause the resurrection of the Dark Lord
Unless Pettigrew gets caught and held, which he almost was. It took a very specific and rare set of circumstances, all of which had to line up, for him to escape in PoA.
Fourth, does he know about the horcruxes?
I doubt it - if he knew what the diary was he wouldn't have used it in such a cavalier manner. I doubt very strongly that Voldemort ever knew what had happened to it, otherwise a) he would have gone ballistic and killed Lucius for getting it destroyed, and b) he would have made two extras, instead of just Nagini, to bring himself up to the six he wanted.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Solauren wrote: 2017-09-19 12:04am Unfortunately, Lucius is a marked Death Eater. That means Voldemort summons him, he comes or he experiences pain.
This is true. Although one wonders if, with sufficient time and resources, it might be possible to find a way to block or remove that spell.

Probably not, though. Even Dumbledore couldn't remove the curse Voldemort put on the DADA position (I can't imagine that he wouldn't have if he'd been able to).
We also don't know if Voldemort can kill via the Dark Mark.
We also have no evidence that he can, however. Not canonically, anyway.
So, unless Lucius has a way to block Voldemort's return (beyond locking the diary away in a Gringots vault or calling down Fiendfyre), Peter's discovery during the third year of the series will still lead to Voldemort's return, and Lucius still becoming Voldemort's bitch.
The only way would be, yes, to prevent Voldemort's return outright.

Or play double agent when he comes back. Convince Voldemort you're on his side while scheming to backstab him when the opportunity arises.

But that last would take considerable skill at legilimency to pull off.
I think that was the entire point of Lucius. He was enjoying his power and wealth, while he could, in a way that if Voldemort returned, he could go "yeah, I claimed Imperius, but I used that to covertly take power in the Ministry without being elected or held to their rules. What shall you have me have them do first, my lord?"
Yeah, he's a slimy weasel alright.
FaxModem1 wrote: 2017-09-19 12:03am A key component of the Death Eaters, aside from blood purity nonsense, is their loyalty to Voldemort. I don't think Lucius can inspire that kind of loyalty without massive bribes. He could certainly manuever pieces into place via influence and bribes, but I don't think he could amass anyone's loyalty to fight for him the way Dumbledore or Voldemort could. That would be his biggest problem. He doesn't seem to have the charisma.
I don't know. Within Slytherin pureblood and political circles he seems to be fairly influential, though we don't see enough of him among his own peers/allies to see if he's liked or simply feared/rich enough to buy people. Fudge seemed to like him well enough, at least as a political ally if not a friend.

One way to improve his image would be to use that fortune of his on philanthropic efforts, while playing the victim card, which I think he's suggested to have done somewhat in canon. "Ie, I was forced to serve Voldemort against my will, but I'm doing my best to make amends by helping people." He could also play the concerned parent card for all its worth, and did on occasion in the books, whenever Hogwarts has the crisis of the month.

And I agree with Captain Seafort that, outside of the Lestranges and Crouch Jr., the Death Eaters' "loyalty" was mostly fear and self-interest.
Second, unless something changes regarding the Weasley winning a vacation to Egypt, Sirius Black will be escaping from Hogwarts to find Scabbers/Pettigrew because he saw the rat alive in the newspaper, and this will cause the resurrection of the Dark Lord, unless for some reason, Lucius would want to shelter him inside his home. Which I don't see happening. Maybe he could make Pettigrew into a lackey, maybe. Or have him killed, who knows?
He could if he knew about Peter. Is there any reason to believe that he did?

Well, I believe Sirius said that other Death Eaters in Azkaban thought Peter had betrayed them. If they knew, Lucius probably did too. But he wouldn't be likely to have any idea where Peter was, unless he chanced to run into Ron and recognize Peter sitting on Ron's shoulder or something. :lol:

That would be... interesting.

Of course, its also possible that someone else could bring Voldemort back (Crouch Jr. is the likeliest), though it would likely take longer.

It would be so easy though for even a small change to canon to cause someone else to win the lottery instead of the Weasleys, via Butterfly Effect.
Third, barring those factors, I could see him aligning with Umbridge and causing a clampdown on Dumbledore a few years early.
I don't know if he could have pulled that off as well early series. They'd have to thoroughly alienate Fudge from Dumbledore first, which I think, reading between the lines, is a big part of what Lucius was trying to do during the first four books (Fudge started out relying on Dumbledore for advice, remember?).

Without Voldemort's return to do it, he'd need to find something else to drive an irreconcilable wedge between Dumbledore and Fudge.
Fourth, does he know about the horcruxes? He might send Draco to gather the ones already at Hogwarts, but that's a few small needles in a huge haystack. The others are held by the Blacks. It might be in his favor to let Dumbledore know about them, and let the heroes do the dirty work. If he knows, that is.
He almost certainly does not. Dumbledore in book six says that Lucius would not have dared to use the diary had he known that it contained part of Voldemort's soul.

His best bet would actually be to ally with Dumbledore. Which would probably be a very uncomfortable alliance, but Dumbldore is an old man. If Lucius helped Dumbldore win, then when Dumbldore dies of old age, Lucius will probably be the most powerful politician in the country still standing.
No Dark Lord, he would just have to keep Wheeling and dealing until Magical Britain becomes horrifyingly pure blood.
Pretty much.
Also, it's spelled alternate. :P
Right.