Hogwarts/Hogsmede are transplanted to Westeros.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Hogwarts/Hogsmede are transplanted to Westeros.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Just as the title says.

Hogwarts, its grounds, the Forbidden Forest, the Wizarding village of Hogsmede, and the surrounding mountains (film version, because while I prefer the books, this gives us detailed visuals to work with) are teleported into Westeros (Game of Thrones, TV version)- specifically the South-Central Northlands, just above the Neck. This occurs one year before Mad King Aerys sparks off a civil war that ends with him getting stabbed by his own Kingsguard.

Hogwarts is teleported on September 10th., 1992, in the second week of Harry Potter's second term at school. This means that Dumbledore, Snape, Lockhart, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Draco, Ginny, Neville, Luna etc. are along for the ride (also, incidentally, one Peter Pettigrew). So is Diary Voldemort and, unbeknownst to anyone, the Diadem Horcrux and the Horcrux in Harry Potter.

Wraith Voldemort is left behind in the Wizarding World, hiding out in Albania. He loses his connection to the dimensionally-displaced Horcruxes, but is unaware of this fact (at least until he hears that Hogwarts has mysteriously vanished). Around Wizarding Britain, parents suddenly receive word that their children have mysterious vanished. Most are distraught. The Dursleys are happy and relieved.

And their is suddenly a giant power vacume in Wizarding Britain, caused by the absence of Albus Dumbledore. A void a bereaved but still-powerful Lucius Malfoy is available to fill...

What happens, in both worlds? Will the Wizards remain secret and stay out of Muggle affairs in this new world? Or will Albus Dumbledore discard tradition in the face of a world where magic exists somewhat openly, where their is no ICW, and Muggles are far less numerous and powerful? Will House Dumbledore win the Game of Thrones? And in Wizarding Britain, will Lucius Malfoy reign with Dumbledore no longer their to check him, or will he be occupied with the grief of losing his only son? Will Voldemort return to power without Pettigrew? Will word of Hogwarts' and his godson's disappearance spur Sirius Black to escape Azkaban in this timeline? And how will the rest of the Wizarding World react to this catastrophe?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Hogwarts/Hogsmede are transplanted to Westeros.

No takers? :D Well, I might as well post my own thoughts on the subject.

For Hogwarts, I think that the Wizards stay quiet at first out of shear cultural inertia and fear. Hogwarts, providing it doesn't sit on a major road or settlement, is easily concealable with their magic.

Dumbledore, as the most powerful and respected wizard present, and the head of the Wizengamot and ICW to boot, is the one most people will naturally defer to. This is very interesting character-wise, as it essential forces Dumbledore into the position he'd spent his life since Arianna's death trying to avoid- that of a lord or minister for magic- a political leader and head of state.

I expect Dumbledore would try to avoid this as much as possible, at least initially (power corrupts over time, of course), but I'm not sure that he can. He could focus on just running the school, but the school is going to became a major political institution in this new isolated Wizarding community. It probably has a significant percentage, perhaps even a majority, of the total population of the community initially, represents their only fortifications, is the centre of Dumbledore's authority, and has their only major agricultural and medical facilities as far as I am aware. I could see Hogwarts being partitioned, with the hospital wing being expanded into a full Wizarding hospital, other areas continuing to be used as a school, one wing being set aside for political/administrative functions, etc.

This also makes them vulnerable to a crippling decapitation strike if exposed. A few passes from Danny's dragons (once we get to that point in the timeline), and their goes the Wizarding World in Westeros, potentially. So that's another reason to stay hidden.

Once more of the students graduate, I expect Hogsmede's population to grow rapidly (their will also be very small classes starting for a while). Eventually, if Dumbledore continues to reject the role of political leader, I could see the centre of political power shifting to Hogsmede. At first, I expect, they'd defer to Dumbledore as the only legitimate representative of the Ministry (or one of the very few, at least) on hand, but in time, as hope of returning home fades and people begin growing up in this new world, I'd expect them to cease recognizing the authority of the British Ministry of Magic, or recognize it in name only. At that point, we probably see them electing/appointing their own Minister (Percy Weasley will likely aspire to be the First MoM of Westeros, at least if his book characterization holds true).

I'm not sure what sort of government would emerge after that. Wizarding Britain is confirmed to have elections for Minister via Pottermore (though apparently not in all cases), so its at least somewhat democratic, and I think Dumbledore would push for that. But they're in a feudal world now, and even if they look down on the backwards Muggles, I could see some of the Slytherins, and possibly others, wanting to set themselves up as lords, dark or otherwise, in a world where there is no Ministry and Auror Office to stop them.

Hmm... it would be interesting if Pettigrew, no longer having to fear Voldemort's retribution (or so he thinks :twisted: ) drops his disguise and goes to Imperius some Westerosi village into being his slaves. I could see the little bastard doing that.

Of course, Dumbledore will want to prevent this kind of thing, but lacking Aurors, he's either going to have to be constantly leaving Hogwarts to swat down the latest dark wizard himself (until he gets too old to do it/dies), or he's going to have to set up some sort of force to do it. Perhaps reactivate the Order of the Phoenix (which has about half a dozen members on the Hogwarts staff, I believe), and begin recruiting more members.

The Centaurs likely break away and form an independent enclave, now that there's no Ministry to stop them. House Stark finds itself dealing with Centaur raids in its woods.

The Mermaids likely stay put, since they have a settled community in the Hogwarts lake.

The Hogwarts House Elves (do they even appear in the films...) well, since they're possibly the only House Elf population, and under Dumbledore's authority, House Elves probably get treated a lot better in this world, including having freedom if they want it.

Of course, beneath all of this, we'll have Riddle's memory in the diary, attempting to destroy the school from within. I'm not sure how he'll respond to being transported to a new world. He might want to get back home at first, but then, Hogwarts basically was the young Riddle's home, and I expect that he'd see the advantages of a new world full of technologically backwards Muggles, open magic, and no Ministry to stop him. In that case, I expect him to switch to a bigger game- get his body back and kill Harry, yes, and then try to topple Dumbledore and take the school from within.

Finding new DADA professors is also going to get even harder if the curse holds in a world without the (full) Voldemort, as their will be a far smaller pool of potential applicants. They may end up discontinuing the class, or replacing it with something different but similar in all but name (did Dumbledore ever try that, and if not, I wonder why). Or they may start drafting some poor seventh year every year to teach the DADA class or something, causing older students to compete not to get the best DADA score, as a matter of self-preservation. :lol:

Though I doubt Dumbledore would willingly harm his students like that, unless he saw no other option.

And given the kinds of things that tend to happen in GoT's setting, I don't want to think what the curse might end up inflicting on its victims. Lockhart, instead of losing his memories, might end up burned alive by Aerys or something.

Long-term, I think they'll probably sit out Robert's Rebellion for the most part, but I wonder if the Statute of Secrecy will last long-term. It would actually be easier to enforce in this feudal world with fewer Muggles, fewer wizards and witches and magical creatures, and no electronic surveillance. But at the same time, a lot of the reasons for it are gone. Magic is acknowledged somewhat in this world. The Muggles are less of a threat. And Hogwarts under Dumbledore is fairly liberal/progressive by Wizarding standards.

On the other hand, given Dumbledore's experiences, I doubt he'd want to take too active a hand in Muggle Affairs, "for the greater good".

If the wizards do come into the open, its going to be a big problem for House Stark. Contrary to what some fanfic writers seem to think, the wizards are more modern than they are feudal in their values, and in any case, they look down on Muggles for the most part. There is no way that the wizards will "bend the knee", and House Stark wouldn't be able to accept anything else from a large permanent settlement on their lands. They'd almost certainly declare war sooner or later, in which case... well, they have a lot more people, probably enough to win a stand-up fight against anything the wizards have short of Fiendfyre (which is at least as dangerous to the caster as to their enemies), but basically no way to force a battle against people who can cast Muggle repelling charms and apparate and so forth.

This means that the wizards likely either stay hidden for the most part, or try coming out and then quickly vanish again. They possibly won't be able to keep all magic hidden though, at least not with so few people and not quickly. Its got too much of an open presence in this world. It would have to be a campaign of gradual concealment, which I suspect the SoS was initially.

Or the wizards could Imperius the leadership, but I doubt that Dumbledore would go for that, and a strong mind can resist the Imperius curse.

The two things that I think could likely bring the magical community out into the open would be someone with visions seeing through their magical concealment (Bran or Melisandra, for example), and the White Walker invasion. That last is a global threat, and a magical one, which means that even by the reasoning of the Statue of Secrecy, it falls under Wizarding purview. And once the Wall comes down, at any rate, I don't think they'll be able to ignore it, while its probably too big for this small enclave to simply conceal it and obliviate the memories of it.

Now, back in Britain, its a different matter.

There's the immediate horror of losing the country's only school, full of children. I wonder if Lucius Malfoy will blame himself (he let Voldemort into the school just before it happened, and Voldemort will be the first suspect for pulling off something like this for a lot of people). Considering that book Malfoy, and possibly film Malfoy, are shown to genuinely care about his son, I wonder what effect that will have on his psychology and actions going forward. Will he turn over a new leaf? Or dig even deeper into dark magic in an effort to find out what happened and bring his son back? Will he be too preoccupied with his grief to capitalize on the golden political opportunity that he has? Or will he, having lost his son, focus all of his efforts on politics, to build a political legacy? Without Dumbledore or Voldemort on hand, and with his growing influence over Fudge, he could likely be de fact Minister in short order. Hell, given the backlash Fudge is likely to suffer when he can't come up with an explanation for what happened to nearly every magical child in Britain and the sympathy votes Malfoy would get as a grieving parent in this crisis, he could probably be Minister before long, though he seems to prefer manipulating things from behind the scenes.

Hmm, if Voldemort does somehow come back without Pettigrew's aid (say Barty Jr. breaks free and locates Voldemort on his own), then what happens? Does Lucius hand over Britain to his old master (probably)? Or does he try to set himself up as a rival to Voldemort, particularly if he blames Voldemort for the disappearance of his son (that would probably take a lot more guts than Lucius Malfoy has, and he'd probably lose, but it would be interesting to see).

Poor Dobby loses his chance at freedom, since there's no Harry to make it happen.

Not sure what Sirius will do, if he even finds out. Knowing that Harry is gone might spur him to action, but without any clear action to take, it might just break him and leave him to die in Azkaban.

Wizarding Britain will be in no position to resist Voldemort, though, or do much of anything except maybe scrape by. They've lost their only school, nearly every magical child across seven years, and the only all-magical community in the country, as well as their greatest hero, wizard, and leader (Dumbledore) and their younger hero (Harry). Given the small size of their community, they'll be absolutely gutted. Hell, they may have lost a significant percentage of their total population.

I also have a theory that part of the reason that Wizarding Britain seems to be relatively influential in the Potterverse (ie Voldemort taking over Britain being treated as equivalent to Voldemort taking over the world) is that because the magical society is so dependent on magic for just abut everything, and operates on such a small scale, having one of the best Wizarding schools in the world and some of the greatest individual wizards gives Britain a great degree of power and influence. Now they've lost that.

I expect that it'll also have a big effect on politics, and probably for the worse. Frightened, angry people tend to do rash and extreme things, often. The foremost liberal politician (Dumbledore) is gone. Lucius Malfoy isn't. A lot of the young pure bloods and half-bloods are gone, so a higher percentage of the next generation may end up being Muggle-born, but that's just going to make the conservatives and reactionaries more frightened, and hostile, about losing their traditional way of life.

And if Voldemort comes back... well, with no Harry or Dumbledore, its going to be a cake walk for him, most likely.

The rest of the Wizarding World, meanwhile, will likely be wondering what the fuck happened, and worrying about it happening to them. Departments of Mysteries around the world will probably be very busy investigating this.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Did Potter not have enough rape for you or something? If I was a wizard in this scenario, I'd be holed up with my wand and a fifth of Jack Dragoniels somewhere off-continent. Dementors I can face, but if Fenrir Greyback's coming to fuck and/or bite out my butthole and see me come back as Sore-Ass McGee the Dumpster Ghost I'm on the Hogwarts' express out of town.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

At some point Hogwarts would have to get involved given the White Walkers situation. I see Dumbledore coming out to offer help. Wizarding is legit in Westeros, so I see no reason in keeping the WW secret. The use of the Unforgivable Curses would in turn be forgiveable.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Raw Shark wrote: 2017-09-16 06:43pm Did Potter not have enough rape for you or something? If I was a wizard in this scenario, I'd be holed up with my wand and a fifth of Jack Dragoniels somewhere off-continent. Dementors I can face, but if Fenrir Greyback's coming to fuck and/or bite out my butthole and see me come back as Sore-Ass McGee the Dumpster Ghost I'm on the Hogwarts' express out of town.
I find the political and character ramifications of the scenario interesting, and Hogwarts/Hogsmede as an isolate province almost fits in a setting of feudal fiefs and castles, but not quite.

But yeah, I'd expect the Wizards would hide behind their spells for the most part, until the White Walkers show up or someone with magic of their own exposes them.

Edit: And yeah, I agree with the preceding post that Dumbledore helps with the Walkers (if still alive then- if not McGonnagle likely makes the same call).

Also, they'll have to interact with the Muggles somewhat just to keep their population from dying out, I suspect, with their being so few wizards.

Hell, Hagrid flat-out says in the second book that wizards would have died out if they hadn't married Muggles.

JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-09-16 08:35pm

Edit: And yeah, I agree with the preceding post that Dumbledore helps with the Walkers (if still alive then- if not McGonnagle likely makes the same call).
Why would he be dead? Snape wouldn't have to kill him for Malfoy as Voldy wouldn't be able to proceed with his plans for resurrection.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well... he is old. I posited that the transition happens a year before Robert's Rebellion, so coming up on two decades before the series starts. More than three decades before the WWs get their.

He might just have passed from natural causes by then, conceivably.

JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-09-16 09:04pm Well... he is old. I posited that the transition happens a year before Robert's Rebellion, so coming up on two decades before the series starts. More than three decades before the WWs get their.

He might just have passed from natural causes by then, conceivably.
Good point. And I agree that the WW would sit out the rebellion given it's not world-ending like the White Walkers. I don't see McGonagall is a leader like Dumbledore, so I;m not sure who would lead against the White Walkers or even Cersei or perhaps Dany. We know, given you transported the WW during the vents of Prisoner of Azkaban, that Cornelius Fudge is a shitty leader. Shacklebolt hasn't been introduced yet, iirc. Who will lead the resistance should Dumby die?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Chamber of Secrets, actually, though some hints of Fudge's shittiness showed up even their (arresting Hagrid on flimsy grounds for the sake of PR).

McGonnagle- she's not a politician or spymaster like Dumbledore, no, or at least she's shown no inclinations to be one. But by the time Dumbledore dies, hopefully their will be a new generation of up and coming leaders. Harry could lead the Wizarding forces North to fight the Walkers, if he survives long enough.

As to who leads the resistance to Voldemort back in Britain... Moody and Shacklebolt seem the likeliest candidates, but they don't have the skill with magic to match Voldemort himself.

Edit: Just to clarify- I'm only transporting Hogwarts/Hogsmede, since its sort of a self-contained community that can be transplanted without tearing chunks of out of Muggle London. Plus it has a sort of semi-Medieval vibe to it.

JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I don't see Voldemort returning to power without Pettigrew. IIRC, after the vents of PoA, Pettigrew found Voldemort and that jump started the process for his resurrection.

I think this RAR would be more interesting if Voldy was back in power during the transplant. Who would he join forces with? Would he just run for the throne himself?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Voldemort would not be resurrected in this timeline. The only death eaters that wanted him back are all in Azkaban. Hell, Peter only brought him back cause he was exposed as Scabbers.

Odds are, Magical England panics, and ends up falling apart. Lucious may make a power play, but I doubt it.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-09-16 10:07pmMcGonnagle- she's not a politician or spymaster like Dumbledore, no, or at least she's shown no inclinations to be one. But by the time Dumbledore dies, hopefully their will be a new generation of up and coming leaders. Harry could lead the Wizarding forces North to fight the Walkers, if he survives long enough.
I don't disagree.

That said, I see McGonagall as the sort of person who would rise to the occasion of having to lead a population of by then mostly adult wizards in a degenerating world. She might lack political sophistication and so on, but frankly the wizards have blatant advantages along those lines. Harry Potterverse mind control magic is terrifyingly overpowered, and Potterverse wizards seem to have very few compunctions about using it on Muggles when they deem it necessary.

Invisible mind-altering magicians wandering Westeros freely and doing whatever the hell they see fit would be a pretty major game-changer in the later part of Robert's reign.
Solauren wrote: 2017-09-17 10:17pmVoldemort would not be resurrected in this timeline. The only death eaters that wanted him back are all in Azkaban. Hell, Peter only brought him back cause he was exposed as Scabbers.

Odds are, Magical England panics, and ends up falling apart. Lucious may make a power play, but I doubt it.
How many of Voldemort's paths to resurrection even work without assets that vanish with Hogwarts, or conversely without assets that are outside of Hogwarts and useless to Diary!Voldemort? I've largely forgotten the plot details of the relevant stories.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

It's been a wile since I've read the series, but both inside and outside of Hogwarts were required for his resurrection.

Philosopher's Stone: Quirrel, unicorn blood, the Stone itself, the first inside and outside Hogwarts, the latter two inside.

Chamber of Secrets: Diary, inside Hogwarts.

Prisoner of Azkaban: Irrelvant until Pettigrew's escape, now outside of Hogwarts

Goblet of Fire: Harry inside and outside Hogwarts; Pettigrew outside Hogwarts; Crouch Jr. inside and outside Hogwarts; the bones of Riddle Sr. outside of Hogwarts; and the cemetery outside of Hogwarts.

Edit: I'm not suggesting that all of these work in tandem, except for Prisoner of Azkaban and the Goblet of Fire. In the end, all he needed for resurrection was what I mentioned for the end of Azkaban and all of the resources listed for Goblet.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Right. Well, that plan is a nonstarter now. If Voldemort's spirit is caught back in Britain, he lacks access to Harry and the Hogwarts cemetery. Conversely, the diary-spirit inside Britain (if it even knows about the ritual used in Goblet of Fire and had confederates to set things up) would lack access to Riddle Senior's bones.

So yeah, basically, Voldemort's means of fully resurrecting himself is pretty well shot, it sounds like.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

First - A townlet the size of Hogsmeade would have a Mayor, wouldn't it? So there is one political leader (somewhat) available. Or at least a council of elders. Not everything depends on the teachers, though they will be the most powerful defenders of the town, if need be. Everyone will need to take remedial Defense classes, though.

Diary Riddle most likely does not know the resurrection ritual, anyway. Also, with as little knowledge he has, and given his youthful temper, there is no reason for him not to continue as he did. With most likely foreseeable (identical) results.

I doubt that Hogsmeade/Hogwarts will stay secluded. They lack food. Hogsmeade is a town with artisans/manufacturers and little farming. They would need to trade for food rather soon. On the other hand, them staking it out there and adding lot's of muggle repellant charms would explain why these areas they are transplanted to have a wilderness reputation in Westeros? Some areas completely inaccessable would not be noticed, much.

With muggle repelling magic, they can venture out and trade, but no army could come back at them. Kind of the ultimate wall.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

There's no textual evidence as far as I know that Hogsmeade has a mayor. Dumbledore is the only political leader in this scenario. He is a member on the Wizengamot, after all.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

That's even more reason to double-down on getting the fuck out of town. I hear that Pentos is nice...

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Raw Shark wrote: 2017-09-18 12:04pm That's even more reason to double-down on getting the fuck out of town. I hear that Pentos is nice...
They could easily destroy everyone, including the dragons. No need to leave.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-18 12:12pmThey could easily destroy everyone, including the dragons. No need to leave.
Yeah, maybe. I'm not taking my chances in the clusterfuck called Westeros. Send me a raven when the smoke clears and I'll owe you a butterbeer.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Okay, mega-post incoming to catch me up to all the responses thus far.
Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-09-17 11:53pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-09-16 10:07pmMcGonnagle- she's not a politician or spymaster like Dumbledore, no, or at least she's shown no inclinations to be one. But by the time Dumbledore dies, hopefully their will be a new generation of up and coming leaders. Harry could lead the Wizarding forces North to fight the Walkers, if he survives long enough.
I don't disagree.

That said, I see McGonagall as the sort of person who would rise to the occasion of having to lead a population of by then mostly adult wizards in a degenerating world. She might lack political sophistication and so on, but frankly the wizards have blatant advantages along those lines. Harry Potterverse mind control magic is terrifyingly overpowered, and Potterverse wizards seem to have very few compunctions about using it on Muggles when they deem it necessary.
Yes. And McGonnagle can play hard ball if she feels that its necessary. In the books, I think she used the Imperius Curse on one of Voldemort's lackies in book seven (and barely batted an eye at Harry using the Cruciatus Curse).

She also kept her position working in a Voldemort-run Hogwarts for a year, which probably entailed some fairly large moral compromises.
Invisible mind-altering magicians wandering Westeros freely and doing whatever the hell they see fit would be a pretty major game-changer in the later part of Robert's reign.
Oh yes, though as I said, I think a degree of secrecy will hold, at least for a while.

Also, their is one big point where the local magic leaves there's in the dust, which I'll get to shortly.
Solauren wrote: 2017-09-17 10:17pmVoldemort would not be resurrected in this timeline. The only death eaters that wanted him back are all in Azkaban. Hell, Peter only brought him back cause he was exposed as Scabbers.

How many of Voldemort's paths to resurrection even work without assets that vanish with Hogwarts, or conversely without assets that are outside of Hogwarts and useless to Diary!Voldemort? I've largely forgotten the plot details of the relevant stories.[/quote]

I'll answer this issue in responding to JLTucker's post.

[/quote]
JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-18 01:35am It's been a wile since I've read the series, but both inside and outside of Hogwarts were required for his resurrection.
Not strictly required, no. Also, strictly-speaking, I'm going off films for this thread, but I don't think its terribly unreasonable to use book canon to fill in the gaps unless outright contradicted by the films.
Philosopher's Stone: Quirrel, unicorn blood, the Stone itself, the first inside and outside Hogwarts, the latter two inside.
A non-issue given that I set this after the Philosopher's stone was destroyed. Although... given what a great wizard Voldemort is supposed to be, I kind of always wonder why he didn't just make his own (or, now that I think about it, mind control/mind-read Nicholas Flammel- there's no indication that Flammel was a Dumbledore-level fighter, though I suppose its possible- and I suppose that it would be a kind of obvious tip-off to Dumbledore that Voldemort was coming back if he moved against Flammel, or Flammel might have had the mental strength to resist successfully).
Chamber of Secrets: Diary, inside Hogwarts.
The Diary would not have resurrected him, or at least I know of no reason to believe that it would have. It was one of his many Horcruxes, pieces of his soul keeping his disembodied spirit on this plane, but losing one would not be fatal to him.

Now, Diary Riddle (in the books at least, I can't recall if it was discussed in the film) was planning to train Ginny's life to become corporeal himself (which would have lead to two Voldemorts running around- possibly a Voldemort vs. Voldemort war?).

And I see no reason why he couldn't still do that, and create a Westrosi Voldemort. :twisted:

That was kind of deliberate on my part- Voldemort is Harry's arch-enemy, so I figured that a bit of Voldemort should accompany him to this new world. It also gives the Wizards more reason to be involved in the larger world if Riddle escapes Hogwarts in a corporeal body (though that likely means that Ginny is dead, sadly- then again, Jon Snow got brought back from the dead).

Actually, that's going to be a huge thing for Potterverse wizards. While their magic surpasses GoT magic in many respects, one pretty absolute rule in the Potterverse seems to be that you can't resurrect the dead. The closest they get is the Deathly Hallows, with the Resurrection Stone, and even that seems to just bring back shades, not a fully living person. Jon's resurrection would potentially be as much of a "what the fuck" moment for them as it would be for us, if not more so.

Oh, Memory Riddle's going to want to have a talk with Melisandra, if he gets that far.

I suppose the fragment in the Diadem could get loose as well, but its buried in the Room of Requirement, fortunately.
Prisoner of Azkaban: Irrelvant until Pettigrew's escape, now outside of Hogwarts
Pettigrew played a role in canon Voldemort's resurrection, which won't happen now, yes. That's probably the biggest hurdle to his return in this scenario.

He has other lackies, of course, but most aren't going out of their way to bring him back. Pretty much the only way he comes back is if Barty Jr. tracks him down solo, or he runs into another idiot like Quirrel who's willing to help him.

Huh, I guess regularly torturing and murdering your supporters doesn't lead to greater loyalty. Who'd have thought it? :wink:
Goblet of Fire: Harry inside and outside Hogwarts; Pettigrew outside Hogwarts; Crouch Jr. inside and outside Hogwarts; the bones of Riddle Sr. outside of Hogwarts; and the cemetery outside of Hogwarts.
Actually, he didn't need Harry for the resurrection ritual. It was just "blood of an enemy". He used Harry's to negate Lily's protection over Harry, not because it was necessary for him to come back.

In this scenario, he doesn't really need to break Lily's protection, because Harry has been dimensionally transplaced.

Also, the cemetery was nowhere near Hogwarts. It was in the village Riddle's family came from ("bones of the father"), and Harry and Cedric were transported their by portkey.
Edit: I'm not suggesting that all of these work in tandem, except for Prisoner of Azkaban and the Goblet of Fire. In the end, all he needed for resurrection was what I mentioned for the end of Azkaban and all of the resources listed for Goblet.
The only real hurdle is Pettigrew's absence, and even that's not insurmountable, especially if Barty
Crouch Jr. gets free.
LaCroix wrote: 2017-09-18 08:54am First - A townlet the size of Hogsmeade would have a Mayor, wouldn't it? So there is one political leader (somewhat) available. Or at least a council of elders. Not everything depends on the teachers, though they will be the most powerful defenders of the town, if need be. Everyone will need to take remedial Defense classes, though.
Realistically, you'd expect a mayor and/or town council, yes, though we can't absolutely say that there is one based on canon. In any case, I'd expect a local government to form pretty quickly once its clear that the Ministry's in another world and they can't go home.

However, Dumbledore, as the most powerful and respected wizard present (in both a magical and political sense), and likely the only Wizengamot member present, will be the most powerful person around, at least to start with. Essentially, Dumbledore just involuntarily became the Head of State of a micronation.
Diary Riddle most likely does not know the resurrection ritual, anyway. Also, with as little knowledge he has, and given his youthful temper, there is no reason for him not to continue as he did. With most likely foreseeable (identical) results.
Depends how much information he's able to gleam from people he possesses/questions or the Hogwarts library about his past self's mistake, how much his personality is set in stone at this point, and how much of his older self's idiocy/insanity was due to repeatedly mutilating his soul (Diary Riddle hadn't made as many Horcruxes yet). Although he's only a fragment of the original himself.

I wouldn't count on him not knowing the resurrection ritual though (although he potentially doesn't need it if he can drain someone's life- hmm, why couldn't disembodied Voldemort do that?). Young Riddle knew a scary amount of the Dark Arts even in Hogwarts, as indicated by the fact that he could successfully make horcruxes even then. He's basically a child/teen prodigy at black magic.
I doubt that Hogsmeade/Hogwarts will stay secluded. They lack food. Hogsmeade is a town with artisans/manufacturers and little farming. They would need to trade for food rather soon. On the other hand, them staking it out there and adding lot's of muggle repellant charms would explain why these areas they are transplanted to have a wilderness reputation in Westeros? Some areas completely inaccessable would not be noticed, much.
Maybe. Hogwarts has greenhouses (plus Hagrid's vegetable patch) which produce some food, but probably not enough (though magical assistance may help them produce more crops more quickly, perhaps?). Particularly when a lot of what's grown their is probably potions ingredients.

So, they're going to have to transition a lot of their growing space over to food, rather than potions stuff, possibly.

Snape will be pissed. :)
With muggle repelling magic, they can venture out and trade, but no army could come back at them. Kind of the ultimate wall.
Yup. None of the Muggle factions can force a battle with them unless they have spell casters of their own on staff.
Raw Shark wrote: 2017-09-18 12:25pm
JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-18 12:12pmThey could easily destroy everyone, including the dragons. No need to leave.
Yeah, maybe. I'm not taking my chances in the clusterfuck called Westeros. Send me a raven when the smoke clears and I'll owe you a butterbeer.
I'd go for Braavos, myself.

It would be interesting if, eventually, the Wizards started setting up settlements in other countries, just like back on Earth. Don't want all your eggs in one basket, even if its a very well-defended basket. And I bet you some of the pure blood Slytherin crowd wouldn't feel too happy about living in the Kingdom of Dumbledore. :wink:

The dragons might be tough though, at least if they have Potterverse dragons' magic resistance. It takes a large group of trained wizards to drop a dragon with normal spells (I presume a killing curse would work, but not everyone can cast those). And their simply aren't that many combat-trained wizards in Hogwarts/Hogsmede. To start with there's Dumbledore, and a handful of teachers who were in the Order of the Phoenix and/or have dueling experience (background info for Flitwick is that he was duelling champion). That's pretty much it.

JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Quick response: good point on Voldemort not needing Harry's blood for resurrection. I do think it's safe to say that he would have used no one else.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

He probably would though if Harry was gone, and it was literally use one of his numerous other enemies, or stay a disembodied spirit forever.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-09-18 04:49pmOh yes, though as I said, I think a degree of secrecy will hold, at least for a while.
Yes, but when your wizards are invisible mind-control experts, you don't need to break secrecy to have a lot of influence over the course of events. Like, if Dumbledore or a few of his subordinates wanted to do pretty much anything they pleased to the Muggle government of Great Britain, it wouldn't actually be that hard for them to do so. The main thing stopping them is their respect for the laws of Wizarding Britain itself.
A non-issue given that I set this after the Philosopher's stone was destroyed. Although... given what a great wizard Voldemort is supposed to be, I kind of always wonder why he didn't just make his own (or, now that I think about it, mind control/mind-read Nicholas Flammel- there's no indication that Flammel was a Dumbledore-level fighter, though I suppose its possible- and I suppose that it would be a kind of obvious tip-off to Dumbledore that Voldemort was coming back if he moved against Flammel, or Flammel might have had the mental strength to resist successfully).
Hm. I'm going to steal an idea from HPMoR, which has a lot of things to like and dislike for purposes like this:

What if the Philosopher's Stone isn't really something you can recreate easily if you have the skill? What if it's actually lost magic that Flamel found somewhere in a cave or something? Suppose that all this talk about him being able to make it by sheer alchemical skill is just a cover story to keep some of the heat off Flamel himself, because as long as people think they can duplicate the Stone by sheer skill at alchemy and wizardry, they're less likely to try to steal it from him by force.
That was kind of deliberate on my part- Voldemort is Harry's arch-enemy, so I figured that a bit of Voldemort should accompany him to this new world. It also gives the Wizards more reason to be involved in the larger world if Riddle escapes Hogwarts in a corporeal body (though that likely means that Ginny is dead, sadly- then again, Jon Snow got brought back from the dead).
Although in the books people brought back by the magic of R'hllor kiiiind of come back wrong- I gather that's less of an issue in the TV series. [shrugs]
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-09-18 07:43pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-09-18 04:49pmOh yes, though as I said, I think a degree of secrecy will hold, at least for a while.
Yes, but when your wizards are invisible mind-control experts, you don't need to break secrecy to have a lot of influence over the course of events. Like, if Dumbledore or a few of his subordinates wanted to do pretty much anything they pleased to the Muggle government of Great Britain, it wouldn't actually be that hard for them to do so. The main thing stopping them is their respect for the laws of Wizarding Britain itself.
Oh yes, of course they could.

That said, I think Dumbledore would try to keep a lid on that sort of thing, given his experiences. He might see attempts to dictate Muggle politics as becoming like another Grindlewald.

Though, if they follow the same model from their own world, then they would keep at least some contact with the Muggle governments. The king at least would likely have a wizard contact, and maybe each of the Lords Paramount as well.

But then come the demands that the wizards serve the crown, and pledge fealty, and the wizards aren't going to go for that. At most, they'd theoretically acknowledge the King's/local lord's authority, but make it clear that they're not actually going to follow any commands they don't like, and that their is no way to enforce said commands.
Hm. I'm going to steal an idea from HPMoR, which has a lot of things to like and dislike for purposes like this:
Heh. HPMoR isn't the worst fanfic out their, by any means (though that is a really low bar), but I have a special, if perhaps somewhat unfair, hatred for it due to its very prominence ensuring that it is responsible for the propagation of a lot of highly dubious "fanon".
What if the Philosopher's Stone isn't really something you can recreate easily if you have the skill? What if it's actually lost magic that Flamel found somewhere in a cave or something? Suppose that all this talk about him being able to make it by sheer alchemical skill is just a cover story to keep some of the heat off Flamel himself, because as long as people think they can duplicate the Stone by sheer skill at alchemy and wizardry, they're less likely to try to steal it from him by force.
That's one possibility, I suppose, but we have no real evidence that its correct.
Although in the books people brought back by the magic of R'hllor kiiiind of come back wrong- I gather that's less of an issue in the TV series. [shrugs]
Is there a reason for Jon to be different? Maybe the whole Targaryen-fire link has something to do with it?

Ie, it worked for Jon because he's Targaryen.

Edited to fix typo.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-09-18 07:53pmOh yes, of course they could.

That said, I think Dumbledore would try to keep a lid on that sort of thing, given his experiences. He might see attempts to dictate Muggle politics as becoming like another Grindlewald.

Though, if they follow the same model from their own world, then they would keep at least some contact with the Muggle governments. The king at least would likely have a wizard contact, and maybe each of the Lords Paramount as well.

But then come the demands that the wizards serve the crown, and pledge fealty, and the wizards aren't going to go for that. At most, they'd theoretically acknowledge the King's/local lord's authority, but make it clear that they're not actually going to follow any commands they don't like, and that their is no way to enforce said commands.
Yeah, I can see all that.
Heh. HPMoR isn't the worst fanfic out their, by any means (though that is a really low bar), but I have a special, if perhaps somewhat unfair, hatred for it due to its very prominence ensuring that it is responsible for the propagation of a lot of highly dubious "fanon".
In fairness, the author tried really hard to close up a whole lot of the inevitable plot holes to be found in the early volumes of a children's book series, in a logically self-consistent manner. He closed some of them up badly, and some of the elements he wanted to inject into the story sat poorly with it, but I have to respect the effort.
That's one possibility, I suppose, but we have no real evidence that its correct.
There's a certain amount of inductive evidence, in that no one else has ever managed to do it. If the Philosopher's Stone is the key to both unlimited wealth and unlimited longevity, you'd expect a lot of people to try to duplicate it. Hell, a lot of people tried to duplicate it in real life during the medieval period, and they had much weaker reasons to believe it even existed in the first place!

The bar for "successfully recreate the Philosopher's Stone" in the Potterverse pretty much has to be high. So high that no one in the centuries since Flamel's success has been able to do it. Either:
1) Flamel is keeping an important secret regarding how he did it, or
2) He himself couldn't do it and it's the product of some older, higher magic, or
3) Flamel is the most brilliant alchemist who ever lived by such an overwhelming margin that he could do in roughly 100 years of effort, where thousands or tens of thousands of wizard-years of effort since then have all failed utterly.

It's reasonable to suppose that if every single wizard has uniformly and without exception failed or not tried something that almost every wizard would have an incentive to try... That thing is pretty much impossible, or there's a secret to doing it that nobody knows.