The Foreigner trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

The Foreigner trailer

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am getting vibes of Patriot Games, Law Abiding Citizen and Taken all rolled in one. Jackie Chan looks to be in the role of the anti hero and Pierce Brosnan is giving me Gerry Adams vibes.

The terrorists look to be IRA, which might be a little out of place in this day and age. Not surprisingly since it was based on a 1992 novel by Stephen Leather, "The Chinaman." Ignoring for a moment the outdated racial term and the fact the protagonist is really a North Vietnamese defector, but there you go.

I think using the term the Foreigner is more accurate, plus its the name of an 80s band. :wink:

Given that Jackie Chan's character uses a mobile phone, and appears to using apps on it, I am going to say this isn't going to be set in the 1990s. So I am interested in how they are going to change the origin of the main character to fit the times. I am going to give this one a try when it comes to cinemas.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Re: The Foreigner trailer

Post by Soontir C'boath »

You know what, I will be that person that will go to the theater to watch this just because it has a movie star ie. Jackie Chan. Also because for all I know, this may be the last movie he will ever be in.

Makes me wonder where the fuck Jet Li is too.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Soontir C'boath wrote: 2017-07-29 02:33pm Makes me wonder where the fuck Jet Li is too.
Mostly retired, IIRC. He left wushu a while ago, made a few Western movies like Mummy 3 and Expendables, since then he's apparently dropped out. I don't blame him, he had a good run and probably made a pretty decent pile.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Moved to proper forum
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-07-29 02:47pm
Soontir C'boath wrote: 2017-07-29 02:33pm Makes me wonder where the fuck Jet Li is too.
Mostly retired, IIRC. He left wushu a while ago, made a few Western movies like Mummy 3 and Expendables, since then he's apparently dropped out. I don't blame him, he had a good run and probably made a pretty decent pile.
aren't both of them quite old as well, I seem to remember that even both were of similar age, so you can hardly blame someone in their 50s or older for not wanting to do films that are physically very demanding and where there's a high risk of injury.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote: 2017-07-29 03:33pm
aren't both of them quite old as well, I seem to remember that even both were of similar age, so you can hardly blame someone in their 50s or older for not wanting to do films that are physically very demanding and where there's a high risk of injury.
Yup, Chan is actually 63, Li is 54. Doing a little research, it seems Li is mostly involved with charity work and nonprofits these days, though he did film a minor role in a Chinese fantasy film that came out last year. Chan is still doing movies, but less of his own stunts and being more careful. He runs his own movie studio or something like that these days.

Looking at that preview... is it me or does it ring major Charles Bronson, 'Death Wish' vigilante avenger vibes?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Lord Revan wrote: 2017-07-29 03:33pm aren't both of them quite old as well, I seem to remember that even both were of similar age, so you can hardly blame someone in their 50s or older for not wanting to do films that are physically very demanding and where there's a high risk of injury.
Are you sure "too old" and "Jackie Chan" belong in the same sentence? It really wouldn't surprise me to learn Jackie Chan has a portrait of Chuck Norris hidden in his attic... :twisted: :roll: :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

LadyTevar wrote: 2017-07-29 03:30pm Moved to proper forum
There don't actually seem to be any fantasy elements to the film?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-07-29 03:46pm
Lord Revan wrote: 2017-07-29 03:33pm

Yup, Chan is actually 63, Li is 54. Doing a little research, it seems Li is mostly involved with charity work and nonprofits these days, though he did film a minor role in a Chinese fantasy film that came out last year. Chan is still doing movies, but less of his own stunts and being more careful. He runs his own movie studio or something like that these days.

Looking at that preview... is it me or does it ring major Charles Bronson, 'Death Wish' vigilante avenger vibes?
I still see Chan and Li in films, although they are mainly Chinese ones. Both got their start in Hong Kong cinema before the handover, and they gone back to their roots, although these days Chinese funded films have more money than ones just purely funded from Hong Kong. Although they aren't the main stars, they are in supporting roles.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

For a brief moment from the title I thought it'd be about the CJ Cherryh books ^^;
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Ok, saw this in Australian cinemas. Its due to be released in the US today.

At around a $35 million USD budget, its already grossed just under $69 million its opening weekend in China. Although its an English speaking film (based on the novel "The Chinaman," its primarily funded by Chinese film studios and was advertised as a foreign film. It doesn't seem to have many slots at Hoyts, but I suspect this is because of the R rating. Funny enough they showed Chinese subtitles when the characters speak English. :D

Just going to say, wow. Chan fights, but its none of the typical Chan slapstick style. Oh there are some elements of Chan agility, but nothing too over the top. He is supposed to be an old man who is still badass, but now he takes several hits. However he keeps on getting back up for more, and you can get a sense of the sadness of Chan's character in the fights. He just wants fucking revenge on the IRA UDI terrorists who killed his daughter, and he doesn't give a shit about how much pain he gets put through, as long as he kills the enemy.

Now about the R rating. Trying to work this out myself. There is some scenes where British special forces Spoiler
engage in torture of terrorists (because maybe torture works in Stephen Leather novels) and execute helpless prisoners.
which might explain it.

I would recommend seeing this and I am interested to see how much this film grosses in the US.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Chan has stated during interviews that he wanted to make a serious, non-slapstick action movie, because he is tired of being "typecasted by the expectations". He wanted to make a movie you don't laugh watching it.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Chan has broken himself more ways than I have. I have incredible respect that he made it as long as he did before slowing down.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I'm pretty interested in seeing this for two reasons. One it just looks good. And two, I really enjoy movies where "established" actors kind of fight their own legacy, especially when its done well.

Pierce Brosnan in "The Matador" was great, Schwarzenegger in "Maggie" was very interesting. And now to see Chan go against the grain effectively is intriguing.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

From the trailer, it looked like a very tired retread of the "Male protagonist's female relation is killed, guy goes on brutal vigilante revenge fantasy rampage" plot. Yawwwwn. Its been done, done to death, resurrected and staked through the heart, and unless I hear otherwise, probably done better elsewhere.

I guess it might be worth seeing if you're a Chan fan. I'm not, particularly, though I have nothing against him either.

I'll pass.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

It's actually more of a political thriller than a revenge plot to be honest. Part of the twist is finding how who really did the bombings, how much did each character know and how Chan becomes a spoiler factor in all the political games played between different Northern Irish factions and British officials.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, that makes me a little more interested, but I didn't feel that the trailer conveyed that well.

Its interesting to see a modern film about terrorism where they use the Irish terrorists instead of Muslims though, if nothing else.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

To be fair, the novel on which this film was based was written in the 1990s, so Irish terrorists was quite relevant. They are less relevant today, but I agree that it would be interesting to see terrorists which aren't Muslims if just for the variety.

Its funny reading the comments in some trailers where people are asking why are the terrorists white? :D

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-10-14 05:20am To be fair, the novel on which this film was based was written in the 1990s, so Irish terrorists was quite relevant. They are less relevant today, but I agree that it would be interesting to see terrorists which aren't Muslims if just for the variety.

Its funny reading the comments in some trailers where people are asking why are the terrorists white? :D
:banghead:

We really have gotten to the point where a significant percentage of the population automatically equates "terrorist" and "Muslim" haven't we?

Well, I'll give this film a little credit just for going against that.

Edit: And equating "Muslim" with "non-white", for added stupidity.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-10-13 09:01am Oh there are some elements of Chan agility, but nothing too over the top. He is supposed to be an old man who is still badass, but now he takes several hits. However he keeps on getting back up for more, and you can get a sense of the sadness of Chan's character in the fights. He just wants fucking revenge on the IRA UDI terrorists who killed his daughter, and he doesn't give a shit about how much pain he gets put through, as long as he kills the enemy.
Jackie Chan always takes hits and keeps coming- that's what makes his fights so great and feel more emotionally real than a lot of contemporaries. The difference, I take it, would be the emotion behind it.