Archie Sonic Comics Over

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Archie Sonic Comics Over

Post by Q99 »

After 290~ main series issues and well over a hundred more side-issues, Archie Comic's long running Sonic comic is over as their relationship with Sega has ended (due in part to persistent legal annoyances from Archie losing some contracts back in the day).

Not that this is the end of sonic comics period- IDW has already been announced to gain the license and will begin publishing Sonic comics next year.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Archie Sonic Comics Over

Post by Tribble »

Q99 wrote: 2017-07-22 05:22am After 290~ main series issues and well over a hundred more side-issues, Archie Comic's long running Sonic comic is over as their relationship with Sega has ended (due in part to persistent legal annoyances from Archie losing some contracts back in the day).

Not that this is the end of sonic comics period- IDW has already been announced to gain the license and will begin publishing Sonic comics next year.
I also heard that the higher ups in Archie wanted to drop it because Sega increased the licensing fees and because Sonic really has nothing to do with the Archie universe.

Sadly if IDW starts publishing it likely won't be the same continuity, even though it was more or less rebooted fairly recently. It'll probably stick solely to game material, so say goodbye to any SatAM characters that were left.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: Archie Sonic Comics Over

Post by Q99 »

The whole details are unknown. It does seem likely that Archie didn't try as hard as they could to hold it due to it having so little reader overlap with their other books, though Sega's annoyance at legal things no doubt played a role.

And, yea, that's probably it for the SatAM crew... or at least in the same prominence. Though with so much stuff about them, including 30 years later epilogues, I don't feel too sad about this.