Captain America vs Ares (Wonder Woman spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Captain America vs Ares (Wonder Woman spoilers)

Post by FaxModem1 »

Per the events of both Wonder Woman, Area starts whispering into the ears of the leaders and scientists of a World war, only it's WWII instead of I. In addition to the cosmic cube, Ares whispers designs and ideas to the Red Skull and his scientists, as well as Dr. Erskine and the American leadership for the SSR.

Thermyascira and it's Amazon inhabitants are in the Aegean Sea, and will be undisturbed unless someone pierces through their barrier.

What happens?
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: Captain America vs Ares (Wonder Woman spoilers)

Post by Q99 »

There's the obvious problem that if a direct confrontation occurs, he's a bloody smear, but Steve not being a god Ares might not decide to do that.

It's also hard to say the exact results of his tech whispering unless we know what techs he whispers.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ares with the cosmic cube is overkill, given the powers he demonstrated on his own.

There is also a fundamental difference in that WW is, as we find out, divine herself; Steve, for all he's powered up, is still only human. That raises a vital question in whether he's capable of actually killing Ares or not.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Elheru Aran wrote:Ares with the cosmic cube is overkill, given the powers he demonstrated on his own.

There is also a fundamental difference in that WW is, as we find out, divine herself; Steve, for all he's powered up, is still only human. That raises a vital question in whether he's capable of actually killing Ares or not.
Well Ares certainly believed in the 'only a god can kill a god' thing, which raised an issue that if Wonder Woman is now the only god about no one should be able to kill her (of course it looks like Justice League will include New God characters so that probably gets around that).
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Bedlam wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Ares with the cosmic cube is overkill, given the powers he demonstrated on his own.

Well Ares certainly believed in the 'only a god can kill a god' thing, which raised an issue that if Wonder Woman is now the only god about no one should be able to kill her (of course it looks like Justice League will include New God characters so that probably gets around that).
They're definitely trying to follow the new-52 to some extent (Batman already an established hero, Cyborg incorporating Mother Box technology, etc) so I can totally see the Justice League films mixing up the Resurrection of Superman with the original JL nu-52 plot where Darkseid invades Earth. How the New Gods get involved, I'm not sure; IIRC they didn't in that plotline, apart from Cyborg's Mother Box being used.

Considering that they're making a DCEU Shazam movie, obviously WW isn't the only god around if they run with the traditional Shazam motifs (Solomon, Hercules, Zeus etc), also Black Adam (Egyptian). And aren't they doing up a Justice League Dark live action film?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Bedlam wrote:

We can easily explain this one away, as Ares believing that nothing the humans have in WWI could harm an Olympian. So just have the setting where people have better weapons. Or like you say, we can just have the New Gods, who IIRC Darkseid's Apokolips tortured Zeus himself and forced the Olympians to flee.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Regardless if whether Darkseid counts (I think yes), there is the matter that Steve isn't Darkseid.

... that I know of.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Steve's in the wrong weight class to fight Ares directly, but he's also far less likely to draw him out. He basically only showed up in person because Diana was there and was starting to show her powers (exactly what Hippolyta feared, he was drawn to her because she's a demigod).

I can't see how the presence of Ares would even change WWII as portrayed in TFA. He stays behind the scenes and is the proximate cause of Hydra superscience, Steve still thwarts Red Skull and ends up frozen in ice, the twentieth century looks like it's going to escalate into nuclear armageddon for a bit but eventually collapses into continuous low intensity conflict.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

World War Two- and later wars- will be bloodier thanks to the new weaponry.

Also, while Steve is unlikely to draw out Ares, he may run into someone hyped up on arcano-gas, which could be a serious problem.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Haven't seen WW yet, to my shame, but I have to agree with what seems to be the consensus here:

1. New weapons make WWII/the Cold War worse.

2. Cap can't do squat to Ares in a fight if he's on Diana's level.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.