Black Panther Trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Black Panther Trailer

Post by Q99 »

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Black Panther Trailer

Post by madd0ct0r »

please please please please avoid the white guy being better trope.

Style wise I'm getting some fifth element vibes.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

there's a white guy on the side of the good guys? Only major white guy I see in the trailer is the main villain (Andy Serkis' character).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

madd0ct0r wrote:please please please please avoid the white guy being better trope.

Style wise I'm getting some fifth element vibes.
Oh hah, little chance of that! T'Challa is kind.

This is almost the opposite. Wakanda is the most advanced nation on Earth.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

For some reason this is what hit me like a brick.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I think it looks like ass, myself, and perhaps another story that furthers my distaste for the Marvel cinematic UI oversee
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I seeing it only because a good friend of mine is an extra.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Fun thing about that picture:

It's Bilbo and Gollum.
Q99 wrote: Oh hah, little chance of that! T'Challa is kind.
*King.

Personally, I love the African Techno-futurist vibe.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Q99 wrote:
Personally, I love the African Techno-futurist vibe.

Agreed. It does seem to be the coming thing.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Q99 wrote:Fun thing about that picture: It's Bilbo and Gollum.
By the Lords of Kobol, that totally sailed over my head. Thanks for the easter egg!

This looks pretty awesome, I can't wait to see it. I loved it when dudes were shooting him with guns point-blank and he just stands there all bad@$$ and shit. Even though he's got on a mask, I thought I detected smugness there lolololol :P :lol: :D
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I really dig the afro-futurism aesthetics and aspects. Say what you will about Marvel and Disney, but it's a good thing that they're mainstreaming this stuff in a big way. Since I heard an interesting notion about the ancient aliens bullshit. Not only is it presenting ancient brown people as incapable of making cool shit, but like who in the modern day has the closest capabilities to interstellar aliens (and brought forth said fiction into popular culture/consciousness?)? Who has the mandate of the space age? Yep, you know who. So they're imposing this cliche throughout the space time continuum. We're in the space age, aliens must be even more spacer ager than us... and this skewered view affects their interpretation of the past (and of brown people of the past). Sure it's not deliberate, it's probably subconscious. Or not so subconscious since look at how people go nuts when different-accented women of color command spaceships that boldly go where NO MAN (haha) has gone before?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Ah, ancient alien stuff. At first I was, "cool, aliens visiting us in the past would be neat!". Then over time I realized how much it (and many other conspiracy theories) were 'non-white people can't build stuff, especially if they did it first'. Pyramids? Aliens. Stone heads? Aliens. Stone columns and sculpture right across from the pyramids? Oh, no, that was us!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, Black Panther was probably my favourite part of Civil War, so I'm looking forward to this on that basis.

Oh, and the MCU finally having a lead who isn't a white man. Only took them, what, seventeen films? Eighteen? :roll:

Still missing that Black Widow film, though.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

There's not going to be a Black Widow movie.

Unlike James Bond, she's not stupid enough to let people film everything she does.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Batman wrote:There's not going to be a Black Widow movie.

Unlike James Bond, she's not stupid enough to let people film everything she does.
:lol:

But God damn, closing in on twenty films, and every single lead has had a penis.

I think, as I've said before, that they missed their shot with GotG. It was the film that was outside the usual Marvel box in some ways, and you had Gamora, who was probably the most heroic character in the film, to me (at least until Star Lord eclipsed her at the end). I felt like she should have been the leader, or at least co-protagonist with Peter/Star Lord. But she got kind of shunted into the "traditional woman in an action movie role" in the second half- ie eye-candy, someone for the male hero to rescue, moral support/love interest, and a token fight with her evil female counterpart.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, Black Panther was probably my favourite part of Civil War, so I'm looking forward to this on that basis.

Oh, and the MCU finally having a lead who isn't a white man. Only took them, what, seventeen films? Eighteen? :roll:

Still missing that Black Widow film, though.
Unless you're counting all the movies that came out before Iron Man and including the stuff from Sony and Fox... no.

Though it *has* been quite a few, 15 currently released, and Spider-Man Homecoming drops in a month.

As for the demographics, it's not like the comics are any better on that front, and they at least try to be more aware of diversity in casting. See Heimdall in Thor as one of the more notorious examples, Rosario Dawson on Netflix, etc. They haven't gender-flipped any roles AFAIK... (but I could be wrong)
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

TV is where they've handled diversity best, at least in the MCU.

As to the film count...

Iron Man.
Hulk.
Iron Man II.
Thor.
Captain America.
Avengers.
Iron Man III.
GotG.
Winter Soldier.
Thor II.
Age of Ultron.
Civil War.
Ant Man.
Doctor Strange.
GotG II.

Hmm... has Thor: Ragnarok hit theatres yet? Don't think so, but I presume it will before Black Panther, as will Spiderman, since their teasers came out first.

So... fifteen released, will be seventeen before Black Panther hits theatres.

Which means it took them eighteen films to get a lead without a straight white dick.

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Lord Revan wrote:there's a white guy on the side of the good guys? Only major white guy I see in the trailer is the main villain (Andy Serkis' character).
Well, Bucky is supposed to be in it too, probably as reliable back-up for Black Panther when shit goes down. But Black Panther absolutely owned him in every scene in Civil War, so I almost predict Bucky becoming Panther's sidekick of sorts.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

What's the last prior black lead in a super film?

Blade, if you count him? (Marvel character, but entirely in the vampire genre)

... Steel?

X-men has women and black characters on the team but never in what I'd call 'the lead' role. That normally going to Wolverine. Ditto Fantastic Four.

Oh snap, I just realized I was forgetting Catwoman, which had a black woman lead. If only it had a script and a costume designer....
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I hate you.

Steel I almost could've forgiven as I brought up that movie a few times myself as a 'how NOT to do a superhero movie' but Catwoman...you're a fatality waiting to happen.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

NeoGoomba wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:there's a white guy on the side of the good guys? Only major white guy I see in the trailer is the main villain (Andy Serkis' character).
Well, Bucky is supposed to be in it too, probably as reliable back-up for Black Panther when shit goes down. But Black Panther absolutely owned him in every scene in Civil War, so I almost predict Bucky becoming Panther's sidekick of sorts.
considering that even in the movie that was named "The Winter Soldier" the actual Winter Soldier was a supporting character, HYDRA being the main bad guys, I seriously dout that in movie called the "Black Panther" they're gonna make Bucky be an intentional spotlight stealer from the Black Panther character just so they can have a white guy in the lead role.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Batman wrote:I hate you.

Steel I almost could've forgiven as I brought up that movie a few times myself as a 'how NOT to do a superhero movie' but Catwoman...you're a fatality waiting to happen.
Yea, sorry for reminding you of that, my bad!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Lord Revan wrote:
NeoGoomba wrote:
considering that even in the movie that was named "The Winter Soldier" the actual Winter Soldier was a supporting character, HYDRA being the main bad guys, I seriously dout that in movie called the "Black Panther" they're gonna make Bucky be an intentional spotlight stealer from the Black Panther character just so they can have a white guy in the lead role.
Bucky would need, well, a personality before he could steal any spotlight from anyone.

He was ostensibly what all the fighting in Civil War was about, but you could have replaced him with a puppy for all the angency he had in the plot and his best scene is getting punked by Spider-Man.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Bucky's in this film, but no Cap?

Don't get me wrong, that might be a good thing, because Cap very well might steal the spotlight. But continuity-wise, it seems odd, since last we saw, Cap was hiding out with Black Panther in Wakanda with the rest of his crew, right?

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Bucky's in this film, but no Cap?

Don't get me wrong, that might be a good thing, because Cap very well might steal the spotlight. But continuity-wise, it seems odd, since last we saw, Cap was hiding out with Black Panther in Wakanda with the rest of his crew, right?
To be quite fair, we have no idea how much of a role Bucky has in the movie; it could literally be a 10-second glimpse of him in that freeze tube he went into at the end of Civil War while some scientist types discuss his special case or whatever.

As for Cap, since Bucky is in deep-freeze as of the end of Civil War... I don't see much reason for him to hang out in Wakanda other than it being a 'safe house'. The end of Civil War indicates he freed his compatriots from Stark's underwater prison, so presumably they're hiding somewhere *besides* Wakanda which would be a very logical place for Stark and company to chase him down.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.