Wonder Woman- the Reviews are In

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Wonder Woman- the Reviews are In

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote:However, as the sun was rising in the aftermath, you'll note all of the German soldiers looked like they'd woken from a very bad dream. They'd lost the urge to fight, one even hugging Chief. Killing Ares did stop the aggression.
I thought it was ambiguous how much of that was Ares's influence being removed and how much was relief at having lived through the (fantastical, nightmarish) battle.

I wonder if the bit about trying to pretend she was a secretary was a deliberate reference to the original Justice Society or if that was just a coincidence?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Eta: Can we get a warning added the thread title? Spoilers ahead.

I wanted to like this film but in all honesty I felt a little underwhelmed in the end. It stands head and shoulders above the other DCEU films for me in terms of enjoyabillity and comprehensibility. There's nothing wrong with it as far as I can put my finger on. But it did lack something.

Not totally up to date on Wonder Woman but made of clay was the classic origin and child of Zeus is the new 52 one? I actually thought she was going to turn out the be Ares' daughter at one point.

One question: what happened to the ship that followed the boats into Paradise Isle? Did all the crew go in the boats because it seems to be total non issue after the landing party are all killed.

It seemed a nice touch that WW seemed to get more and more powerful over the film, as her trainer/aunt was implying at the start as a Goddess her limits seem to be subconsciously self-imposed. Her going full goddess at the end seems at contrast with her power levels in BvS but then most of what she did was durability and tossing back lightning with her bracers.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Crazedwraith wrote:Not totally up to date on Wonder Woman but made of clay was the classic origin and child of Zeus is the new 52 one? I actually thought she was going to turn out the be Ares' daughter at one point.
In the Nu52 origin she was the daughter of Zeus and lied to about her origin. It was one of the several mistakes that run made that marred an otherwise epic story.
One question: what happened to the ship that followed the boats into Paradise Isle? Did all the crew go in the boats because it seems to be total non issue after the landing party are all killed.
It's a blink and you'll miss it moment, but it appears to hit reef and start sinking in one of the wide shots of the boats rowing out.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The ship never saw past the barrier either, so they'd have no idea what's going on.
Majin Gojira wrote: In the Nu52 origin she was the daughter of Zeus and lied to about her origin. It was one of the several mistakes that run made that marred an otherwise epic story.
Yep. Not the biggest of the mistakes, but a noteworthy one (actually the one that got me to put down the book at the second issue- not because I thought it was the worst thing ever, but because 'why even lie about the clay thing?' stuck in my head, it was pointless to include the original just to dismiss it. A wise move in retrospect, I'd have loathed the later parts).

As for this one... I take the clay aspect as still being true, just that Zeus put in a lot more of himself than Diana was lead to believe. It wouldn't be the weirdest way Zeus has had a kid, and makes Hippolyta's approach have reason behind it. Spoiler
She lied about the part that'd directly lead Diana into running into conflict with Ares, thus giving her time to grow. The method of birth is rather secondary.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Note to everyone:

This spoiler works. Spoiler
This one can be seen
The one after this doesn't
Spoiler
This one can't
Spoiler tags only work if you put them at the beginning of your post, and if there are more than one only the first one will work.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Huh, some hadn't been working for me but I just thought it was my browser, thanks.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Note to everyone: you can still read the text in an editor's window if you quote. It's not lost forever.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

I will say, that was the second best movie about a shield-bearing hero fighting in the European theater in a global war, accompanied by a rag-tag group of ethnically diverse misfits, on a mission to stop a disfigured weapons developer from using an advanced superweapon to kill a ton of people, with an American soldier named Steve played by an actor named Chris as the most prominent male character, and a climax involving trying to stop an airplane from deploying the superweapon to wipe out a major Allied city that I had ever seen. The scenes where the superpowered hero beats up an agent of the villain, but it unable to stop the agent from killing himself via poison before he can be interrogated, and where the villain uses the advanced superweapon to wipe out a group of prominent officers from their side who question their methods were particularly interesting. As was the scene where Spoiler
the character named Steve played by the actor named Chris sacrifices himself in order to stop the airplane.
For the record, I did actually like it. I just thought the parallel was rather amusing.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Civil War Man wrote:I will say, that was the second best movie about a shield-bearing hero fighting in the European theater in a global war, accompanied by a rag-tag group of ethnically diverse misfits, on a mission to stop a disfigured weapons developer from using an advanced superweapon to kill a ton of people, with an American soldier named Steve played by an actor named Chris as the most prominent male character, and a climax involving trying to stop an airplane from deploying the superweapon to wipe out a major Allied city that I had ever seen. The scenes where the superpowered hero beats up an agent of the villain, but it unable to stop the agent from killing himself via poison before he can be interrogated, and where the villain uses the advanced superweapon to wipe out a group of prominent officers from their side who question their methods were particularly interesting. As was the scene where Spoiler
the character named Steve played by the actor named Chris sacrifices himself in order to stop the airplane.
For the record, I did actually like it. I just thought the parallel was rather amusing.
I agree with all of that except this one was better than the other one because that one had an awkward montage and ten minutes of cutscenes from a Wolfenstein game instead of an ending.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Vendetta wrote:I agree with all of that except this one was better than the other one because that one had an awkward montage and ten minutes of cutscenes from a Wolfenstein game instead of an ending.
I actually enjoyed both movies fairly equally. It's just the whole "second best _______" shtick is funnier.

Also, WW = Captain America is a bit of an exaggeration. She's also royalty from ancient mythology who travels to the land of mortals, has some whacky hijinks centered around her lack of understanding of mortal customs, then has a grudge match against another mythological figure who manipulates mortals to do his bidding, and is also kind of a step-sibling from a certain point of view. So she's more Captain Thor-merica.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Other than that one scene where she was training and blocked an attack with her arms crossed, how could none of the other Amazons notice just how much stronger, faster, and quicker to recover, Diana was?
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

biostem wrote:Other than that one scene where she was training and blocked an attack with her arms crossed, how could none of the other Amazons notice just how much stronger, faster, and quicker to recover, Diana was?
It's possible she wasn't, it seems like her power level increases during the film. This might be some sort of psychological block or maybe some effect of being in the outside world.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Bedlam wrote:
biostem wrote:Other than that one scene where she was training and blocked an attack with her arms crossed, how could none of the other Amazons notice just how much stronger, faster, and quicker to recover, Diana was?
It's possible she wasn't, it seems like her power level increases during the film. This might be some sort of psychological block or maybe some effect of being in the outside world.

From Robin Wright constantly telling her try harder and she was stronger and faster than that. I assumed the former.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Bedlam wrote:
I'm not clear on how many of the other Amazons knew Diana's real origins and purpose, but given that they were trying to keep her in the dark they had every reason to either not point it out or chalk it up to her being a magic brought-to-life-from-clay-by-Zeus child. Diana knew she wasn't a normal Amazon, even if she didn't know why or how different.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

They definitely would've noticed that she was outpacing the rest of them, and Antiope was still drilling in that Diana was too hesitant and holding back. The true degree of her strength, though, would be an unknown, and definitely something she was growing into.

Note the castle-climbing scene how her strength surprised her.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Business-wise, it's doing really well. It's Tuesday take was higher than the Thursday previews take (14 vs 11 mil). It opened slightly less than the other Marvel movies, but is holding so much better- at least as well as a MCU movie it seems, maybe more.

Especially if the Mummy tanks this weekend, it's not out of the question for it to have the highest take- with a budget 25 to 100 mil less.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

I saw this last weekend. And the film had an effect on me that no other superhero film has had to this date.

It was heartwarming.

No superhero film before now had that effect on me. Although it might just be the crap going on right now IRL makes the film feel as such.
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I enjoyed it immensely.

As for the Amazon's not 'cluing in' about Diana, did you not pay attention to them? They were all clearly 'holy shit' about some of the stuff she was doing in training.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote:I enjoyed it immensely.

As for the Amazon's not 'cluing in' about Diana, did you not pay attention to them? They were all clearly 'holy shit' about some of the stuff she was doing in training.
Even if they knew she was a new demigoddess they can still be impressed when they finally see her pull something beyond the ken.

And even the origin story they told her could explain superpowers all on its own, don't forget.

On that note, if Zeus was her father...exactly how old is she?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote:On that note, if Zeus was her father...exactly how old is she?
Following that logic -- how old was Hipolyta? Antiope? or any of the adult Amazons? In theory, they were all around when Ares started his rampage, and Zeus sealed off the island. How old were they then?

Assuming Ares started his rampage sometime in the Bronze Age (in Europe circa 2300 BCE), that's a good 4000yrs spend on the island. Either the island has a weird time warp, slowed their aging, or the Amazons themselves are immortal. Either way, Diana seems to have taken a good 4000yrs to mature.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote:
Ralin wrote:On that note, if Zeus was her father...exactly how old is she?
Following that logic -- how old was Hipolyta? Antiope? or any of the adult Amazons? In theory, they were all around when Ares started his rampage, and Zeus sealed off the island. How old were they then?
That occurred to me too, but Diana is the one we actually see start as a child. Meaning that either she was training for four thousand years, had an extremely long childhood or, as you say, time warp. Which is odder than just assuming the Amazons are immortal.

Or I suppose she could have had a very long gestation period for whatever reason. Just to cover all the possibilities.

EDIT: Or maybe the other Greek gods aren't as dead as the story claimed they were and Diana was conceived relatively recently.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

it wouldn't surprice me at all if time worked a bit funky in island the amazons are on, though I'll admit I've not seen the movie so I can't say for sure.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

If there is a time warp, that means say Diana spent 20 years on the island and 4000 years passed in the outside world. Wouldn't that mean for like that for one hour on the island that Steve Trevor spent, would be equal to 200 hours the Germans were outside the field. If Trevor spent like a few hours on the island before the Germans attack, that would mean the Germans were outside for close to 2 weeks presumably searching before they entered. I think if there was a time warp, the Germans would have lost the war by the time they sent people into Themiscrya.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Or, the lock was opened when it needed to be, so Diana could oppose Ares, and the island is no longer sealed in a moment. Just apply a little Doctor Who and it all makes sense....
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.