Robin Hood vs Game of Thrones.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Robin Hood vs Game of Thrones.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Just a fun little idea that came up to me while listening to the soundtrack for the Ridley Scott/Russel Crow Robin Hood film. And honestly, Robin Hood seems like someone who'd make a good foil for the corrupt nobility of GoT.

Why the Russel Crow version? Because that was the inspiration for this thread, its a bit on the grittier side like GoT's setting, and it gives us on-screen visual evidence of the various players' capabilities. Anyway, I came up with a couple sub-scenarios:

Scenario One: Robin and his band (including Marion) as of the end of the film get transported to a wooded area in the South-central part of the North/Stark Lands, at the start of the series.

Scenario Two: King John's army from the final (highly a-historical) battle on the beach, including Robin's detachment, arrive on a beach in the Stormlands, shortly after the start of Robert's Rebellion (because I reckon they'd get stomped pretty fast by a united Seven Kingdoms). The battle has not yet occurred, so the army is at full strength.

Which I guess means Alt. History England gets successfully invaded by the French, but them's the breaks. :D
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Robin Hood vs Game of Thrones.

Post by Solauren »

Scenario #1 - The North is pretty well run under the Starks. After realizing something really fucked up as happened, and they can't get back to England, they go looking for a local lord to serve. They might end up under the Starks.

Robin Hood and his friends ending up in King's Landing as part of Lord Stark's entourage would be interesting. I could see them escaping with Arya.

I can also see Robin + his friends as part of Robbs army.

Ultimately, I don't think they'd have any great effect on things.

Scenario #2
Okay, now that's a big more interesting.
If King John is there, well, we now have a three way war for the Iron Throne. Targeryon loyalists vs the Baretheon/Stark Rebellion vs Invading Army of England. however, without support infrastructure, I don't expect them to be that big a problem.

However, if King John is not part of the army, and it's under Robin's command, they could end up swining the results of the war in one sides favor.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Robin Hood vs Game of Thrones.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Solauren wrote:Scenario #1 - The North is pretty well run under the Starks. After realizing something really fucked up as happened, and they can't get back to England, they go looking for a local lord to serve. They might end up under the Starks.
Possibly. Best if they avoid any outlawry first, however. The Starks can be a bit... inflexible about enforcing the law, yes?

Hmm, Robin Hood ends up being sent to the Wall? :) He'd make a hell of a member of the Night's Watch, and probably end up in Jon Snow's army eventually, if he survived.
Robin Hood and his friends ending up in King's Landing as part of Lord Stark's entourage would be interesting. I could see them escaping with Arya.
That sort of hostile castle rescue/escape is classic Robin Hood, so if we're operating on Narativium here...
I can also see Robin + his friends as part of Robbs army.

Ultimately, I don't think they'd have any great effect on things.
Not directly, perhaps, but they might indirectly change a great deal over time via the butterfly effect. Of course, that's hard to impossible to predict, and thus difficult to meaningfully discuss.

The only way that they're likely to have a really big effect directly, I suspect, is if by chance they happen to be in the right time and place to either save, or kill, someone important. Like, I don't know, one of Robin's arrows happens to catch Jaime Lannister in the face during a cavalry charge or something.

Scenario #2
Okay, now that's a big more interesting.
If King John is there, well, we now have a three way war for the Iron Throne. Targeryon loyalists vs the Baretheon/Stark Rebellion vs Invading Army of England. however, without support infrastructure, I don't expect them to be that big a problem.
Yeah, I actually don't think John can make a serious play for the Iron Throne. He has no legitimate claim that any of the local nobility would recognize, he can't just go the "fuck you, I have dragons" route that the Targaryens did when they invaded, and while the chaos in the realm will keep him from being instantly stomped, perhaps, his army isn't that big. I don't recall hard numbers from the film and I can't find a good clip of the pre-battle forces, but it looked like a fairly small army, and I know that historical Medieval England didn't field armies on Westeros's scale.

Maybe a few hundred archers and a few hundred cavalry in the film? Just roughly eyeballing it. Though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

His best option is to pick a side and end up being made a powerful lord, possibly a new Lord Paramount, by the winning side. If his pride prevents that and settles for nothing less than kingship, then perhaps he might, in the chaos, be able to carve out an independent kingdom and fortify it while everyone else has bigger fish to fry.
However, if King John is not part of the army, and it's under Robin's command, they could end up swining the results of the war in one sides favor.
Film Robin would be a better leader than Film John, and probably end up trying to support the Rebellion against the Targaryens in exchange for concessions on greater rights for the small folk and minor nobles (which Ned Stark, at least, would be honourable enough to keep when the war was over, unlike Film John). However, John is part of the army. As I recall from the film, he is in command of a cavalry contingent which joins the battle part-way through, with Robin commanding the other (plus a very small and poorly-equipped detachment under Marion). There's also a contingent of archers.

Edit: A whole other interesting question is the introduction of Christianity into Westeros's religious climate. Will it be suppressed? Westeros already has multiple religions.

Hmm... early Christianity was good at incorporating elements of other beliefs into its own system, historically. Maybe it'll find some way to merge the tenants of the Seven with the Christian Church, and maybe recast the Others as servants of Satan?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.