Should Hawkgirl be kicked out of the Justice League?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Should Hawkgirl be kicked out?

Yes, she betrayed the Justice League and Earth
7%
No, she helped save Earth from her own people and saved billions of lives.
93%

Total votes: 15

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Should Hawkgirl be kicked out of the Justice League?

Post by FaxModem1 »

In the three part series finale of Justice League, Hawkgirl is revealed to be a deep cover agent for her home planet of Thanagaria, scouting Earth for years, buying their trust, until the Thanagarians get there to build a hyperspace bypass that would destroy the Earth(which she thought was a shield to protect Earth from alien invasion). Torn between loyalty to her home world, and the destruction of Earth, she chooses Earth. This makes her an exile from her homeworld and her own people.

The Justice League vote over whether or not to keep her in the League.

But instead of their votes, let's say that you have a voice in the decision. Do you let her stay in? Do you kick her out?

What's your decision?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Should Hawkgirl be kicked out of the Justice League?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

She spied on us because she was deceived into believing it was for our own good? Then turned on her own people to help us?

And superheroes tend to make a career out of breaking the law and keeping secrets in order to protect people.

Haven't seen the episode, but based on this information, let her stay.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

We do need a bit more information.

What was precisely her initial mission and with what beliefs did she accept it? Was destroying Earth ever a possibility she would have accepted? Was she aware of the change of priorities? Does her initial oath of service include destroying Earth?

From a practical standpoint however, firing her would be redundant and foolish if it is really true that she was fired. At the very least she could be kept eye on.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

while a lot of those details were never told from a relible source, only ones saying anything about were other thanagarians but the circumstances make their statements suspect at best, we do know why the league did cast her out (assuming we're talking about the DCAU version) and it was a matter of trust in 2 ways actually, first the League couldn't be sure they could trust her, after all she had lied to them about pretty much everything about herself during her time in the League and the second part of that the goverments/civilians had to trust the league and having a prominent figure essentially responsible of a reason alien invasion in a signigant role in the league might not sit well with the people. As for keeping tabs on her, this a universe where Batman exists, I'm pretty sure she couldn't even touch herself without Bruce knowing all the details, let alone try any sort of villany.

the fact she wasn't carted to Arkham in chains should tell you how much the League still after all she had done trusted her.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Heroes are big into judging people on how they act when it really matters, and there she showed herself a hero.

I think I'd keep her, despite the mistrust. It lets her put where she stands out in the open.
Lord Revan wrote:As for keeping tabs on her, this a universe where Batman exists, I'm pretty sure she couldn't even touch herself without Bruce knowing all the details, let alone try any sort of villany.
Though JLU Superman isn't really near his 'god-bat' portrayals. It's quite possible to hide stuff from him.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Q99 wrote:Heroes are big into judging people on how they act when it really matters, and there she showed herself a hero.

I think I'd keep her, despite the mistrust. It lets her put where she stands out in the open.
Lord Revan wrote:As for keeping tabs on her, this a universe where Batman exists, I'm pretty sure she couldn't even touch herself without Bruce knowing all the details, let alone try any sort of villany.
Though JLU Superman isn't really near his 'god-bat' portrayals. It's quite possible to hide stuff from him.
true but there aren't that many redheaded chicks with organic hawk wings on their back on Earth and we also have to remember that there would be quite few people willing to aid her. Doctor Fate's tower (where she was next time we see her) was probably one of the few places on Earth she could have any degree of privacy.

I should also be noted that she does later rejoin the league under her real name as a full member and while it takes longer for some members she does regain their trust. It could have been that right after the invasion the wounds of Hawkgirl's betrail were too fresh and the league needed time to heal.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Lord Revan wrote:while a lot of those details were never told from a relible source, only ones saying anything about were other thanagarians but the circumstances make their statements suspect at best, we do know why the league did cast her out (assuming we're talking about the DCAU version)
The League didn't cast her out. She quit before hearing their judgement. When it came down to the vote Superman cast the deciding vote to keep her. Quoteth The Man Of Steel "I believe in redemption, I believe in second chances and most of all I believe in my friends'
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Out.

Yes she came through in the end but aside from the personal betrayal, with the JL and the JLU being a trusted world-protecting org, the PR of a member being a known alien invasion collaborator... is not so good. It'll mess up the org's dynamics with the rest of the world. Heck, the org's dynamic between its own members who already ain't the most stable of people. So, no.

Her going with the "DC Defenders," hanging with Dr. Fate and Amazo and other non-JL "independent" heroes was the wiser choice.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Um-AMAZO was never part of the independent heroes? Once de-villained he headed for the skies and didn't return until JLU to say Thank You to Lex. Terminally.
And it should be noted that we're never told if she was actually kicked out, Shayera left of her own volition. We don't know how the votes tallied, leave alone who voted what.
And I'm with Alfred.
'Whatever they decide in that room, in my eyes, you'll always be a hero'.

That being said the PR issues are a real concern, especially given there were already trust issues thanks to Clark's aiding and abetting Darkseid's invasion of Earth (however involuntarily), as would later manifest in JLU's Cadmus arc.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

No. You do find out when Shayera returns. I even quoted what Supes said about it.

and Shroom is right. Amazo stays with Dr Fate after he comes back to Earth. He's involved when Soloman Grundy resurrect and then teleports away when he accidentally powers Grundy up with his presence.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

V
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Out.

Yes she came through in the end but aside from the personal betrayal, with the JL and the JLU being a trusted world-protecting org, the PR of a member being a known alien invasion collaborator... is not so good. It'll mess up the org's dynamics with the rest of the world.
So how does this fit in with, for example, including Green Lanterns in the JLA? Green Lanterns are (as a rule) members of an interstellar police force that doesn't answer to any earthly authority. Sure, they're tasked with defending the Earth, but Hawkgirl did defend Earth- she just sent back reports on what was happening, for her homeworld to read. Or that's how I understand it. Am I wrong?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

IF all Hawkgirl did was basic observation/recon, there are bloggers and radio shows that transmit out more data then she probably did.

Earth itself welcome her people when they were told they wanted to install a Planetary Shield.

When she found out her people were lying, she turned on them to protect Earth, and put her own world in serious danger.

My judgement: Let her stay, but make it clear she's on probation. She wasn't honest with her background to the League, but then again, they were not forthcoming with each other later.

I'll point out, that during the invasion, when the League was trying to hide, they got into a store to switch into civie clothes. Flash was uncomfortable revealing his true identity to the others.
That of course, lasted right up until Batman started pointing to everyone, saying their real names, ending with pointing to Flash and saying "Wally West", and then pulling back his own hood and saying "Bruce Wayne"
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Simon_Jester wrote:V
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Out.

Yes she came through in the end but aside from the personal betrayal, with the JL and the JLU being a trusted world-protecting org, the PR of a member being a known alien invasion collaborator... is not so good. It'll mess up the org's dynamics with the rest of the world.
So how does this fit in with, for example, including Green Lanterns in the JLA? Green Lanterns are (as a rule) members of an interstellar police force that doesn't answer to any earthly authority. Sure, they're tasked with defending the Earth, but Hawkgirl did defend Earth- she just sent back reports on what was happening, for her homeworld to read. Or that's how I understand it. Am I wrong?
V?

Hurm, well I wonder what arrangements the Lanterns had with the Earth governments - and depending on this arrangement or the lack of it, one might say that the GLs are no different than the JL in being a bunch of unsanctioned crimefighters, glorified vigilantes. But anyway... the Lanterns didn't invade the Earth. The Thanagarians did. AND for a moment we see Shayera don the Thanagarian colors and assist the occupation force before turning coat once again. It could be said that she was thus working undercover to help Earth and whatever (she did do this). Hurm... I don't know if she knew the Thanagarians would invade Earth. She did DIDN'T know that they were gonna Vogons the Earth with the hyperspace bypass.

I'm not saying that Shayera wasn't a good person etcetera. But like organizationally... I mean, think about it, if someone in some company slips up and says something wrong or gets into a questionable incident, even if it's not apocalyptic, they still get transferred or suspended or whatever. Government officials resign. Etcetera. This is a major scandal. Hell, I substantiate removing Shayera by citing her own sober decision. That was the correct choice.

Even if they were all fine with it, aside from public PR issues... a guilt-ridden collaborator trying to atone for her sins or whatever wouldn't be a properly functioning member, IMO.

So... she's as right to leave the League as Green Arrow was to initially refuse joining the JLU.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Solauren wrote:IF all Hawkgirl did was basic observation/recon, there are bloggers and radio shows that transmit out more data then she probably did.

Earth itself welcome her people when they were told they wanted to install a Planetary Shield.

When she found out her people were lying, she turned on them to protect Earth, and put her own world in serious danger.

My judgement: Let her stay, but make it clear she's on probation. She wasn't honest with her background to the League, but then again, they were not forthcoming with each other later.

I'll point out, that during the invasion, when the League was trying to hide, they got into a store to switch into civie clothes. Flash was uncomfortable revealing his true identity to the others.
That of course, lasted right up until Batman started pointing to everyone, saying their real names, ending with pointing to Flash and saying "Wally West", and then pulling back his own hood and saying "Bruce Wayne"
Because Batman is the best. :D

Though I do think that she probably gave away much more than the average blogger or radio show could. She wasn't just observing people on the street- she was observing the Justice League, and some of their secrets are potentially world-endingly dangerous.

That said, my answer remains largely unchanged. She should stay. Or the whole Justice League should go.

I mean... she concealed her identity while committing illegal acts to protect innocent people? So... just like almost every other super hero, then.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Crazedwraith wrote:No. You do find out when Shayera returns. I even quoted what Supes said about it.
and Shroom is right. Amazo stays with Dr Fate after he comes back to Earth. He's involved when Soloman Grundy resurrect and then teleports away when he accidentally powers Grundy up with his presence.
Huh. Sorry, somehow missed your post. My bad
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

here's an intresting question how many people on DCAU Earth know that Green Lanterns are a full on alien organization and not a group heroes with the same theme, hell if there has typically not been more then 1 GL on Earth the general population (including goverments) might not even be aware that Green Lanterns are a group rather then a single legacy hero.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Lord Revan wrote:here's an intresting question how many people on DCAU Earth know that Green Lanterns are a full on alien organization and not a group heroes with the same theme, hell if there has typically not been more then 1 GL on Earth the general population (including goverments) might not even be aware that Green Lanterns are a group rather then a single legacy hero.
When it becomes known that all this time the GLs are this galactic super-meta-paramilitary force... people might lose their shit.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!