Superman "Vs." One Punch Man & My Hero Academia

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Superman "Vs." One Punch Man & My Hero Academia

Postby Majin Gojira » 2017-05-11 06:08pm

This isn't a fight. This isn't about who is stronger.

This is about how superheroes in the west work vs. those in the east (at least, the ones that consciously homage western works in that genre).

In both One-Punch Man and My Hero Academia, the world has a lot of superhumans and has a government organisation that orders and monitors "Heroes" to fight various odd threats and superhuman criminal activity. They are government employees with a high degree of celebrity. They are ranked, classified, and often in competition with each other almost as much as they are working to defend the civilian populous. For rank, prestige, and other things.

This is partly stemmed from Manga drawing more from sports stories than mysteries like western comics do, but it's an interesting distinction.

That and registering with the government is seen as the proper thing to do right out of the bat.

My question is: How do you think Superman, Clark Kent, would react to this sort of system if he found himself in those worlds? And what do you think he might try to change things if he doesn't like what he finds?
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Superman "Vs." One Punch Man & My Hero Academia

Postby Vendetta » 2017-05-11 06:23pm

In OPM the hero association is a well meaning but incompetent bureaucracy that is largely incapable of locating its arse in the dark with a satnav and written instructions.

I don't think Clark would really join them, they're not the sort of structure he fits in.

He's more visible and noticable than Saitama (better fashion sense, for a super, custard is not a strong colour to go heroing in, and less likely to just wander off after beating the monster), so he might attract a new Justice League whilst working outside of the Hero Association.

In Boku no Hero he'd probably co-operate with the rest of the heroes. Again, the hero registration system there is largely well meaning (and more necesssary given that it's a world where almost 80% of people have some kind of superpower.) Heroes there are a recognised part of law enforcement, whereas in OPM they're a private paramilitary organisation which the police don't much care for. It's a little less obviously crap at its job than OPM's hero association. He would rather obviate the plot though, since he'd be a very obvious and even more unbeatable symbol of justice than All Might.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Postby Solauren » 2017-05-11 06:27pm

Couldn't Superman basically annhilate all the bad-guys in "OPM" fiction anyway?

By himself?

In a few hours?

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Postby Vendetta » 2017-05-11 06:32pm

Solauren wrote:Couldn't Superman basically annhilate all the bad-guys in "OPM" fiction anyway?

By himself?

In a few hours?

He could do that in DC as well.

Q99
Jedi Master

Postby Q99 » 2017-05-12 12:55pm

Unless the 'monster God' in OPM is something else, the only villain that'd even really make Superman notice is Boros, and he'd win that fight with much less collateral damage.

OPM's hero system, it's way too focused on fame and image and a ton of the heroes are jerks. Intentions are good, but he'd want them to clean up, put an end to 'newbie crushing,' etc.. He'd probably do articles on them as Clark Kent, with recommendations on the reform needed.

Superman would probably like MHA's system. He'd be initially weary of hearing the government ties, but when he sees the agencies working mostly independently, just licensed and such, he'd recognize them as not much different than the JL, Titans, etc.. And after a bit of misunderstanding, get a hero license and do some photo ops with other good heroes.

The My Hero Academia system actually produces a lot of good heroes he'd be happy to be friends with. There's a few jerks- Endeavor- but that's the minority.

Vendetta wrote:He could do that in DC as well.

Superman has plenty of peers in DC that can stand up to him. Either heroes- Wonder Woman, Billy Batson, Green Lantern- or villains, like Black Adam, Brainiac, Darkseid, evil Kryptonians, etc..

bilateralrope
Sith Devotee

Postby bilateralrope » 2017-05-12 05:42pm

Q99 wrote:OPM's hero system, it's way too focused on fame and image and a ton of the heroes are jerks. Intentions are good, but he'd want them to clean up, put an end to 'newbie crushing,' etc.. He'd probably do articles on them as Clark Kent, with recommendations on the reform needed.

I'm not familiar with OPM. Are any of the jerks likely to try anything against Clark Kent going after their reputation ?

Q99
Jedi Master

Postby Q99 » 2017-05-12 07:37pm

bilateralrope wrote:
Q99 wrote:OPM's hero system, it's way too focused on fame and image and a ton of the heroes are jerks. Intentions are good, but he'd want them to clean up, put an end to 'newbie crushing,' etc.. He'd probably do articles on them as Clark Kent, with recommendations on the reform needed.

I'm not familiar with OPM. Are any of the jerks likely to try anything against Clark Kent going after their reputation ?

They're likely to be circumspect because it's a reporter, but yea, definitely, especially if they think he can be intimidated into silence. One tried to publicly crush Saitama's reputation and make people think he was a villain because he was getting more credit than they liked.

I mean, there's good heroes in there too- really good like Mumen Rider, but there's glory hunters, plus some strong individuals who have a twisted sense of justice (Sweet Mask, who's the most popular and doubles as a pop star in his off time, is pretty ruthless [though, to be fair, we've only seen him kill monsters, but he *always* kills them], dismissive of heroes for being too weak, and has influence over the promotion process, using his standards to help decide who gets promoted, though he only cares about the upper ranks).

The top heroes often don't care about rank or image, but there's a fair number who care a lot.

bilateralrope
Sith Devotee

Postby bilateralrope » 2017-05-12 08:15pm

Q99 wrote:They're likely to be circumspect because it's a reporter, but yea, definitely, especially if they think he can be intimidated into silence.

Any of them likely to move from intimidation attempts to something like punching Kent in the face and breaking their fist ?

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Postby TheFeniX » 2017-05-12 09:29pm

Vendetta wrote:In OPM the hero association is a well meaning but incompetent bureaucracy that is largely incapable of locating its arse in the dark with a satnav and written instructions.

I don't think Clark would really join them, they're not the sort of structure he fits in.
I feel a lot of their incompetence comes from their #2 (logistically #1) being so unstable and the apathy of many of their other S-ranks. With someone like Clark far above even Saitama (I don't know if he's physically tougher, but he damn sure has access to a more diverse toolset) who isn't batshit crazy, they might see some serious reforms. It helps that Clark genuinely cares for humanity and will easily put his life on the line and play well with others.

And there's not a lot to lose by getting ranked since the Association (likely out of fear) doesn't seem to place any actual responsibility/liability on S-rank heroes. They are more of a 411 service that pays out to let heroes focus on heroics.

Clark would easily start to form his own cult of personality among lower (and possibly higher) ranked heroes since he's not a snob, just by doing his job.

bilateralrope wrote:Any of them likely to move from intimidation attempts to something like punching Kent in the face and breaking their fist ?
Heroes seem to care more about rank than anything. Considering his intelligence and physical attributes: he'd rank at least as high as Genos. After a few blow-outs, he'd only have trouble surpassing Tornado just in the ease of how much devastation she can cause. Sure, in a one on one, they aren't even close. But she does have the ability to call meteors down from space in the span of a few seconds.

He might also have problems with King.
Spoiler
If Clark decides to try his hand at e-sports.