Put together a Magical Self-Defence Kit for Muggles (RAR?).

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Put together a Magical Self-Defence Kit for Muggles (RAR?).

Postby The Romulan Republic » 2017-05-06 03:02am

Tribble wrote:
Zixinus wrote:

Which personally, I think is idiotic. The way they're portrayed in the books, its more about what ingredients you use and mixing them. If the ingredients have magical properties and are mixed correctly, why shouldn't it work?

Because you need to use magic to transform the components as well as make the magic in the ingredients react or come together, maybe?

We know that's the case for at least some potions such as when Snape contained the curse in Dumbledore's hand.

That makes sense, but I'd think that it would vary from potion to potion.

In any case, I see nothing to keep a Muggle from using a pre-made potion.

Hmm, does the Wizarding World have much in the way of store-bought potions, or do most wizards and witches just brew their own?

Edit: I'd think there would have to be a fairly large potion manufacturing industry (at least relative to the small size of their society). Their are a lot of very useful potions that are hard to brew, and not every wizard can be Severus Snape.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Postby Crazedwraith » 2017-05-06 06:34am

The only sold potions I can think of are the love potions in Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

Other commercial items related it I recall are brewing lessons and recipies in magazines so probably they mostly do their own.

I was going to posit that keeping potions was a bad idea in a lot of cases. But they kept a store of polyjuice potion for quite a while in Deathly Hallows. and Harry kept felix felicis for a year. Slughorn did mention keeping love potions for a while could change their effects.

So it is possible they always prefer fresh brewed for potions.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Postby The Romulan Republic » 2017-05-06 06:53am

Crazedwraith wrote:The only sold potions I can think of are the love potions in Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

Other commercial items related it I recall are brewing lessons and recipies in magazines so probably they mostly do their own.

I was going to posit that keeping potions was a bad idea in a lot of cases. But they kept a store of polyjuice potion for quite a while in Deathly Hallows. and Harry kept felix felicis for a year. Slughorn did mention keeping love potions for a while could change their effects.

So it is possible they always prefer fresh brewed for potions.

I expect it depends on the potion, how long they can be safely stored.

Polyjuice and Felix Felicis may just have a longer shelf-live than love potions.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Postby Shroom Man 777 » 2017-05-07 09:10am

Or if one's Snape-like in brewing, or in making special storage magics, then decay might be mitigated... or different potions have different volatility and decay rates depending on their ingredients...
Image Image Image
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!

Return to “Fantasy”