Put together a Magical Self-Defence Kit for Muggles (RAR?).

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Put together a Magical Self-Defence Kit for Muggles (RAR?).

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Tribble wrote:
Zixinus wrote:

Which personally, I think is idiotic. The way they're portrayed in the books, its more about what ingredients you use and mixing them. If the ingredients have magical properties and are mixed correctly, why shouldn't it work?
Because you need to use magic to transform the components as well as make the magic in the ingredients react or come together, maybe?
We know that's the case for at least some potions such as when Snape contained the curse in Dumbledore's hand.
That makes sense, but I'd think that it would vary from potion to potion.

In any case, I see nothing to keep a Muggle from using a pre-made potion.

Hmm, does the Wizarding World have much in the way of store-bought potions, or do most wizards and witches just brew their own?

Edit: I'd think there would have to be a fairly large potion manufacturing industry (at least relative to the small size of their society). Their are a lot of very useful potions that are hard to brew, and not every wizard can be Severus Snape.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The only sold potions I can think of are the love potions in Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

Other commercial items related it I recall are brewing lessons and recipies in magazines so probably they mostly do their own.

I was going to posit that keeping potions was a bad idea in a lot of cases. But they kept a store of polyjuice potion for quite a while in Deathly Hallows. and Harry kept felix felicis for a year. Slughorn did mention keeping love potions for a while could change their effects.

So it is possible they always prefer fresh brewed for potions.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Crazedwraith wrote:The only sold potions I can think of are the love potions in Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

Other commercial items related it I recall are brewing lessons and recipies in magazines so probably they mostly do their own.

I was going to posit that keeping potions was a bad idea in a lot of cases. But they kept a store of polyjuice potion for quite a while in Deathly Hallows. and Harry kept felix felicis for a year. Slughorn did mention keeping love potions for a while could change their effects.

So it is possible they always prefer fresh brewed for potions.
I expect it depends on the potion, how long they can be safely stored.

Polyjuice and Felix Felicis may just have a longer shelf-live than love potions.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Or if one's Snape-like in brewing, or in making special storage magics, then decay might be mitigated... or different potions have different volatility and decay rates depending on their ingredients...
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!