IT 2017 trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

IT 2017 trailer

Post by ANGELUS »

Toughts?

I'm not very fond of the way Pennywise looks, but to be fair we don't get to see a lot of him. The first Pennywise looked just like a regular clown and he wouldn't get "scary" until you saw him up close. This guy looks evil from the get to go.
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: IT 2017 trailer

Post by Borgholio »

The actor who plays the new Pennywise said straight up that there's no way he'd be able to do a better Tim Curry Pennywise than Tim Curry himself. So he's going for a different look and attitude with this one. We'll see how it plays out.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I wonder if they're going to focus solely on the children's side of the story, or if we're only being shown the children's side of the story, saving when they become adults for a sequel?
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I'm interested though at arms length. I enjoyed the IT miniseries even with the giant freaking spider and Tim Curry was bar none the best part. He didn't need to look scary in clown form because Curry himself could exude some pretty pants shitting menace on his own and he had other forms, even just the sharp teeth red eyed form, to look scary. The clown itself isn't supposed to look scary, he's supposed to be enticing children and very few children aren't going to look at new Pennywise and nope the fuck out.

Because its just a movie trying to stick to the book better seems impossible and part of thats good (there was some stuff that was pretty fucked up in the books) but alot of stuff even the much longer miniseries ejected that was part of the story. A two hour movie is going to remove alot of characterization. I worry slightly that the filmmakers will try to rely too much on cultural osmosis of the miniseries to fill in the blanks.

Still looking forward to seeing it. Not as much as The Dark Tower though.
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Joun_Lord wrote:....He didn't need to look scary in clown form because Curry himself could exude some pretty pants shitting menace on his own and he had other forms, even just the sharp teeth red eyed form, to look scary. The clown itself isn't supposed to look scary, he's supposed to be enticing children and very few children aren't going to look at new Pennywise and nope the fuck out.
Exactly what I had in mind. This new version simply looks scary from the very first time you see it. Similar to what happened to The Shining: In the book Torrance is described as just like a regular guy, but Jack Nicholson's interpretation loos crazy from the very first time you lay eyes on him. I'm not implying that his interpretation is bad, he's awesome in my opinion but he looks batshit crazy. Anyway, lets hope this new version of Pennywise is up to it.
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Joun_Lord wrote:Because its just a movie trying to stick to the book better seems impossible and part of thats good (there was some stuff that was pretty fucked up in the books) but alot of stuff even the much longer miniseries ejected that was part of the story.
Yeah, Stephen King including an orgy of a bunch of 12-year olds after they defeat Pennywise was rather out of nowhere, and will hopefully not be in the movie.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

ANGELUS wrote:Exactly what I had in mind. This new version simply looks scary from the very first time you see it. Similar to what happened to The Shining: In the book Torrance is described as just like a regular guy, but Jack Nicholson's interpretation loos crazy from the very first time you lay eyes on him. I'm not implying that his interpretation is bad, he's awesome in my opinion but he looks batshit crazy. Anyway, lets hope this new version of Pennywise is up to it.
Yeah thats a very good point about the Shining. A scary from the onset Pennywise could work with the right actor. However it might fall into the same pitfall of Nicholson's Torrance where its just the menace and no real character. For some that was the failing on Kurbrick's Shining that Torrance was memorable but had no real depth. Some actually give some faint praise to the Shining mini-series for having a better portrayed Jack and actually showing a descent into madness.

Pennywise isn't just menace. Sometimes he's charming, he has to be to tempt children to go down there where they all float, sometimes he's funny, downright hilarious even. It makes the times when he's a literal monster, menacing and scary as fuck, all the more impactful for the audience and the characters. Just a menacing Pennywise could work but damn if it wouldn't be shallow.
FaxModem1 wrote:Yeah, Stephen King including an orgy of a bunch of 12-year olds after they defeat Pennywise was rather out of nowhere, and will hopefully not be in the movie.
I had a real WTF moment reading that part. I enjoyed the fuck out the novel until that part. King has some pretty out there and disgusting bits of sexuality in his books but I think that one took the cake. I'm usually for faithful adaptions but thats one thing I'll be glad never to see on screen.