So the new power rangers movie is almost here....

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: So the new power rangers movie is almost here....

Post by Tribble »

And while we're on the topic of Power Ranger theme songs, the Green Ranger definitely needs his version when he shows up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srSgiKvpdcs
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

General Zod wrote:Honestly if I didn't look it up just now I would've sworn Michael Bay somehow had a hand in this. The whole thing has way too much resemblance to his Transformer movies for my taste.

Here's a review by Mark Kermode that addresses that comparison, and comes out solidly in Power Ranger's favor over TFs.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So Is It Worth The Money?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

I say yes, already seen it twice here. Might have to own this one.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

LadyTevar wrote:So Is It Worth The Money?
Absolutely.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I saw it recently, and as someone who grew up with a large part of the franchise (I seeped in and out every now and then), I'd say it did well with what it had to work with. 3/4 with my nostalgia burning bright.

It actually caught me off guard at one point.

Though some found the mix of pure cheese later on with the drama of the majority of it offputting, I felt it was totally in keeping with the source material.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I saw it yesterday, It was actually pretty good. There's a few hiccups but it's trying quite hard to be good. And doesn't really play to the nostalagia angle aside from a couple of moments.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I will honestly say this is the best Krispy Kreme commercial I have ever seen, and I don't mean that as an insult. This is one of the best bits of product placement that did not really draw you out of the story, as it actually fit the cheesy nature of the action.

I also liked the nice mix of cheesy action and character drama and was pleasantly surprised by this film, in the exact opposite of my feeling on Ghost in the Shell, though while I watched Power Rangers as a kid, it isn't on the same level as GitS in terms of my attachment to the source material. It didn't shy away from problems that real teenagers face, which is also nice.

One random note that I found surprising for a story like this is that it actually avoided the obvious romance between the red and pink rangers and the drama that ensued from that.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Yes I felt the Pink & Red ranger romance could still happen but it just wasn't something they tried for. Good on them for not shoving a Romance in when you're preparing for end of the world scenario's.

Actually I would have liked a little more explanation on why yellow and mom were at each other's throats. They explained Zac's relationship to his mom and you see red with parents pretty often and blue gets some time to show how life is at his house. But first thing yellows mom is flipping out, over what? A teen staying out late with friends? This not make sense.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

JI_Joe84 wrote:Yes I felt the Pink & Red ranger romance could still happen but it just wasn't something they tried for. Good on them for not shoving a Romance in when you're preparing for end of the world scenario's.

Actually I would have liked a little more explanation on why yellow and mom were at each other's throats. They explained Zac's relationship to his mom and you see red with parents pretty often and blue gets some time to show how life is at his house. But first thing yellows mom is flipping out, over what? A teen staying out late with friends? This not make sense.
Have you ever lived in a house with a teenage girl and her mother? Tension builds up quite frequently over what seems like nothing to outsiders. That dynamic actually struck me as fairly realistic.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I thought the dispute between the yellow ranger and her parents stemmed from
a. Thoughts that she isn't "normal", and the reason she isn't normal could be to do with her sexual orientation.
b. Maybe drugs, since they demanded she produce a urine test.

Now that I have seen it today, yeah I enjoyed it. They mixed up the right amount of cheesiness to show they respect the source material and made it more serious and updated for the 21 st century.

I loved how the start when the power rangers get their powers you feel a sense of amazement and comraderie as a bunch of teens become friends due to having some big secret. Its also nice to see how they are troubled kids with problem relationship with their parents. I do get some emotional impact from the fact they are troubled kids, unlike say the 1996 movie where I have no emotional impact even when Zordon was gravely injured by Ivan Ooze.

Rita reminds me of Devatox with those green things on her face, and the costume looks much better than the classical Rita. Also Goldarr looks cooler and I like how he is much larger than the individual zords. Speaking of zords, they look nice, but I am not a fan of Bayformers robots, and the zords struck me as having a lot of inspiration from Michael Bay's transformers. The Megazord didn't look like it was formed from smaller zords, except maybe the pteradactyl component, which went onto the back of the Megazord serving like a scabbard. In the television series the pteradactyl went on the front, serving as extra protection I guess for the Megazord for anyone who is interested.

So if you enjoyed power rangers in your childhood, go see it. And yeah the old pink ranger and green ranger have cameos.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

So I thought my earlier post was deleted and posted the same thing twice. Could this be deleted?
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
JI_Joe84 wrote:Yes I felt the Pink & Red ranger romance could still happen but it just wasn't something they tried for. Good on them for not shoving a Romance in when you're preparing for end of the world scenario's.

Have you ever lived in a house with a teenage girl and her mother? Tension builds up quite frequently over what seems like nothing to outsiders. That dynamic actually struck me as fairly realistic.
Nope, can't say I have seen that first hand. It just seems like absent minded story telling. That is all. Like they could have been doing some thing there and had to cut some things. Ohhh well, maybe in the next movie??
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

mr friendly guy wrote:I thought the dispute between the yellow ranger and her parents stemmed from
a. Thoughts that she isn't "normal", and the reason she isn't normal could be to do with her sexual orientation.
b. Maybe drugs, since they demanded she produce a urine test.

Now that I have seen it today, yeah I enjoyed it. They mixed up the right amount of cheesiness to show they respect the source material and made it more serious and updated for the 21 st century.

I loved how the start when the power rangers get their powers you feel a sense of amazement and comraderie as a bunch of teens become friends due to having some big secret. Its also nice to see how they are troubled kids with problem relationship with their parents. I do get some emotional impact from the fact they are troubled kids, unlike say the 1996 movie where I have no emotional impact even when Zordon was gravely injured by Ivan Ooze.

Rita reminds me of Devatox with those green things on her face, and the costume looks much better than the classical Rita. Also Goldarr looks cooler and I like how he is much larger than the individual zords. Speaking of zords, they look nice, but I am not a fan of Bayformers robots, and the zords struck me as having a lot of inspiration from Michael Bay's transformers. The Megazord didn't look like it was formed from smaller zords, except maybe the pteradactyl component, which went onto the back of the Megazord serving like a scabbard. In the television series the pteradactyl went on the front, serving as extra protection I guess for the Megazord for anyone who is interested.

So if you enjoyed power rangers in your childhood, go see it. And yeah the old pink ranger and green ranger have cameos.
I was a little disappointed with goldar. He was a bad ass in the series. He didn't come out often but when he did he could single handedly handle the Rangers, rangers go big? He could still handle them, on his own.
He was a bad guy that I hated because he's a bad guy but you had to respect him. He was strong.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I'd say what truly made Goldar a opponent you whose strength you should respect was that for the most part he was smart at least as far fighting was conserned. He wasn't just a big mindless brute but some who could turn your weaknesses against you if you weren't care when fighting him.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Lord Revan wrote:I'd say what truly made Goldar a opponent you whose strength you should respect was that for the most part he was smart at least as far fighting was conserned. He wasn't just a big mindless brute but some who could turn your weaknesses against you if you weren't care when fighting him.
Truth,. You don't see that often in series or movies.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Lord Revan wrote:I'd say what truly made Goldar a opponent you whose strength you should respect was that for the most part he was smart at least as far fighting was conserned. He wasn't just a big mindless brute but some who could turn your weaknesses against you if you weren't care when fighting him.
IIRC at the start Goldar could take on all of the power rangers at once, though as they gained experience he tended to only take them on one-on-one (usually the red + green/white ranger). Giant-size he was on par with the Megazord, and I think at one time he had his own Zord which took the combo of constantly switching modes and the Ultrazord to beat.

Of course, perhaps Goldar's greatest strength was the ability to recognize when it was time to retreat. He survived all the way until the end of Power Rangers in Space which is no small feat.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Tribble wrote:
IIRC at the start Goldar could take on all of the power rangers at once, though as they gained experience he tended to only take them on one-on-one (usually the red + green/white ranger). Giant-size he was on par with the Megazord, and I think at one time he had his own Zord which took the combo of constantly switching modes and the Ultrazord to beat.

Of course, perhaps Goldar's greatest strength was the ability to recognize when it was time to retreat. He survived all the way until the end of Power Rangers in Space which is no small feat.
That is exactly what I love about Goldar.