So the new power rangers movie is almost here....

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

So the new power rangers movie is almost here....

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Coming out this Friday over here in the states and it actually looks pretty not totally corny.
Color me optimistic but I'm actually optimistic about this one, and planning to go see it.
Is any one else going? Excited?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: So the new power rangers movie is almost here....

Post by LadyTevar »

There's already some news that Yellow Ranger Trini has a girlfriend, and has to work out some relationship issues.

I'm gonna wait for feedback from friends and fellow SDNeters
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I've obviously not seen it yet but I'd say a Power Rangers movies needs to a bit corny in a fun and a bit silly way.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I watched Power Rangers a bit as a kid but was mostly aged out of it by time I was able to watch it regularly so I don't hold a major connection to it, no angry fanboy stuff.

However I did watch enough to know that PRs are silly. Its a cheesy martial arts (mild gymnastics) show that even in its darkest moments (including a series set in a post apocalyptic wasteland where much of the earth is dead and those that remain are under constant threat) is was still pretty light.

My concern with the movie is its going to go grim dark, go too realistic. I get a vibe like Fant4stic, taking a silly property and trying to make it serious. Probably fail like that movie too. For fans of the franchise they don't want to see a serious take on the series. There was that short PR fan film by the same guy who did Punisher Laundry Day and alot of fans of the actual show at best only liked it as a bit of a subversion, most didn't even seem to like it though.

For people who aren't fans I don't see how slapping the Power Rangers name on it will get asses in seats. Power Rangers is seen as a cheesy kids show and even trying to make it serious probably ain't going to drum up interest.

Personally I'll probably see it eventually but because it reminds me of a generic washed out color teenage superpower movie like Fant4stic or Chronicle (which was an okay movie but only that) I'm not exactly going to be hyped to see this.

I'll admit I do somewhat like the costumes for the Rangers even if the Iron Man looking glowy bits are stupid. The suits look like armor and that was one complaint I had about the old series, their "armor" didn't look like it could stop a mosquito bite.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

We're clearly moving from 80s nostalgia like Transformers movies, and the Expendables.

To 90s stuff like Power Rangers and the live action version of Disney animations from that time period.

That's actually enough to make me really quite tempted to see it even if I'm sure it's going to be awful.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Lord Revan wrote:I've obviously not seen it yet but I'd say a Power Rangers movies needs to a bit corny in a fun and a bit silly way.

This, if Sparks don't shoot out their chest when a bad guy so much as spits on them then it's not power rangers RAR!!! LOL :twisted: :roll:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

JI_Joe84 wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:I've obviously not seen it yet but I'd say a Power Rangers movies needs to a bit corny in a fun and a bit silly way.

This, if Sparks don't shoot out their chest when a bad guy so much as spits on them then it's not power rangers RAR!!! LOL :twisted: :roll:
Now you're just being stupid, that's not even close to what I said. Grimdark for it's own sake rarely if ever works.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Joun_Lord wrote:I watched Power Rangers a bit as a kid but was mostly aged out of it by time I was able to watch it regularly so I don't hold a major connection to it, no angry fanboy stuff.

However I did watch enough to know that PRs are silly. Its a cheesy martial arts (mild gymnastics) show that even in its darkest moments (including a series set in a post apocalyptic wasteland where much of the earth is dead and those that remain are under constant threat) is was still pretty light.

My concern with the movie is its going to go grim dark, go too realistic. I get a vibe like Fant4stic, taking a silly property and trying to make it serious. Probably fail like that movie too. For fans of the franchise they don't want to see a serious take on the series. There was that short PR fan film by the same guy who did Punisher Laundry Day and alot of fans of the actual show at best only liked it as a bit of a subversion, most didn't even seem to like it though.

For people who aren't fans I don't see how slapping the Power Rangers name on it will get asses in seats. Power Rangers is seen as a cheesy kids show and even trying to make it serious probably ain't going to drum up interest.

Personally I'll probably see it eventually but because it reminds me of a generic washed out color teenage superpower movie like Fant4stic or Chronicle (which was an okay movie but only that) I'm not exactly going to be hyped to see this.

I'll admit I do somewhat like the costumes for the Rangers even if the Iron Man looking glowy bits are stupid. The suits look like armor and that was one complaint I had about the old series, their "armor" didn't look like it could stop a mosquito bite.
Ya I was just starting school right about the time the original Power Rangers came out, so I have a connection with it. Not so much the later series, as for it's campiness, it's for kid's. You can't have a super vilian not die or at least the threat not be destroyed before the end of the episode, kids will nightmare in their pants and then pissed off parents will :finger:
That said the previous ranger movies had the same "armor" as the series did so still campy but looked better than average series episode, especially the zords.
That's why I am excited about this one. The suites look like they have real substance to them and the zords look pretty good but there is a funny shiny ness to them. That's a little weird.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

LadyTevar wrote:There's already some news that Yellow Ranger Trini has a girlfriend, and has to work out some relationship issues.

I'm gonna wait for feedback from friends and fellow SDNeters
Yeah I am going to be doing the same. But I am also going to see what Grace Randolph on her youtube channel says. Most of her reviews about movies I am interested in, turn out to agree with my personal taste.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm going to be honest- pretty much the only thing that makes me even marginally interested in this is that it apparently has Bryan Cranston in it.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

JI_Joe84 wrote:Ya I was just starting school right about the time the original Power Rangers came out, so I have a connection with it. Not so much the later series, as for it's campiness, it's for kid's. You can't have a super vilian not die or at least the threat not be destroyed before the end of the episode, kids will nightmare in their pants and then pissed off parents will :finger:
That said the previous ranger movies had the same "armor" as the series did so still campy but looked better than average series episode, especially the zords.
That's why I am excited about this one. The suites look like they have real substance to them and the zords look pretty good but there is a funny shiny ness to them. That's a little weird.
I think I was around 8 when the first series came out but where I was living in the middle of nowhere and cable tv was a foreign concept round those parts it was several years until my family could afford to get satellite so I could watch tv regularly. I watched some of the show at friends and family's houses and even got some of the action figures and junk. I certainly wasn't attached to it like say I was the Ninja Turtles.

The "its for kids" really got some of the worst of the franchise in my opinion. Parents bitching about the show to tone down the violence allegedly got the Power Rangers movie so action-less and had the series cut down on weapon usage, a similar thing that happened with the second Ninja Turtles movie where apparently all the Turtle's weapons were glued in their scabbards. Apparently parents bitching was the reason Lord Zedd was made less evil and married Rita.

Yeah the show is for kids (I think teens or young adults in the case of the reboot movie though) but it doesn't mean the show has to be totally insipid.

The movie armor (atleast the first movie, I don't remember jack about the later movie or movies beyond the blue ranger being a little kid that got an adult body when he transformed and me not being sure if that was supposed to be cool or creepy) the costumes were improved somewhat. They had some added bulk, some armor. Also flashlights.

The new movie costumes actually look more similar to the original movie costumes minus the Iron Man chest lights then they do the spandex tv series costumes.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Grace Randolph has given a good review, so I am now thinking of going to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfqcXh0Zglk
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Honestly if I didn't look it up just now I would've sworn Michael Bay somehow had a hand in this. The whole thing has way too much resemblance to his Transformer movies for my taste.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

JI_Joe84 wrote:This, if Sparks don't shoot out their chest when a bad guy so much as spits on them then it's not power rangers RAR!!! LOL
Funnily enough I never had a problem with the sparks and always assumed that they were the result of the suit redirecting the energy of an attack (including kinetic) away from itself. Although IIRC it was never directly stated how the suit's protection works, it's possibly done via shielding as the Megazord was known to have shields. Particularly strong hits tended to leave burn marks on the suit, perhaps either due to the suit's shield not blocking the attack 100% and/or the shield emitters being overloaded and shorting out at that location. Or maybe the suit itself is immune to damage up until a certain point if shields aren't involved. If a hit is strong enough to knock the suit out of commission entirely IIRC it was due to the hit overloading the power ranger's connection to the Morphing Grid (which can cause permanent damage to their power source / morphers).
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

From the sounds of it, it's...actually not bad? I was never a superfan of PR when I was little but I watched and liked the show, and had Wild Force on my GBA (which I did love). Might check it out. If someone else is paying :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

So I just got back from it and I have to say, for a reboot movie, not bad at all. There was some funny parts, they are teen's after all but definitely not adults we've seen else where and now, "hey look I'm a teen now!" So that was GREAT. loving that.
The new location of I'm gonna say their base is good, the series always made me wonder exactly how many people had wondered in to it. If you have seen the series u know what I mean.
The Kimberly actress kept screwing me up, cause I had seen her some where else, and Zordon's voice actor kept seeping through, again pulling me out of it.
On the flip side I would never have guessed Alfa's voice actor. Never ever, he did a GREAT job on that.
I kept seeing some one in Rita so like Kimberly it kept messing me up. Just couldn't fallow the story with my brain trying to figure out who the hell that was or where I had seen her before. A couple of her seen's seemed a little flatter than maybe they should have been. Didn't kill the movie but sort of makes you go uhh shouldn't she be a little more?
Other than that I loved it, and the little bit at the end ( in the middle of the credits) ohhhh boy!!
Also some references to Michael Bay movie's thrown in, not to bad but I don't think they should go there unless it's fore-shadowing some thing. Bad Michael! Just Bad!
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Kimberly - Naomi Scott (maybe you remember her as the eldest daughter in the series Terra Nova?)
Zordon - Bryon Cranston (just can't help but pollute his voicework, which is unfortunate)
Alfa - Bill Hader (somehow he manages to NOT pollute his voicework, which is great)
Rita - Elizabeth Banks (Hunger Games,Pitch Perfect, lots of stuff)
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Yeah Kimberly from Tera Nova. It's just that smirk that does it. If she had stayed away from it then it would have been all cool.
Elizabeth when she throws her arm's up, it's the same thing she does all the time in the hunger game's. It jolts like, whaaaat wait I know this from some where. Baby, when ur an actor your supposed to play the part, not play you running around in a costume. but ehhh, other than that it's great and definitely gonna get Tommy, the original Tommy in the next one.
It's all over YouTube and Twitter and stuff, supposedly​ some of the other originals​ were in the movie as regular Peep's. I don't know, no one cought my attention really.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

JI_Joe84 wrote:It's all over YouTube and Twitter and stuff, supposedly​ some of the other originals​ were in the movie as regular Peep's. I don't know, no one cought my attention really.
Remember when everyone was taking pictures of the Megazord? They focused on those two for a very good reason. :wink:
LadyTevar wrote:I'm gonna wait for feedback from friends and fellow SDNeters
FWIW I think it's pretty good and faithful to being "Power Rangers" and I say this as an unabashed fan of the show.

Though if all you're in it for is action scenes and giant robots, well...it has those, but not until the end. This is, by and large, a very character driven movie. Fortunately, it does the character stuff very well (IMO) so this is not a bad thing.

I'd recommend it.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I distinctly remember the MMPR's Zord fights and how they were all-too obviously just two (occasionally three) guys wearing suits. If Pacific Rim can pull off Humongous Mecha, there's no reason Power Rangers can't do the same.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

So my question is, did they use the Power Rangers theme song? It's just not a Megazord fight without it :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I'm wondering that too. They did use a very simpfied version of the jingle in Trailers which was extremely nifty.

Just trying to find someone who will go see the movie with me!
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Tribble wrote:So my question is, did they use the Power Rangers theme song? It's just not a Megazord fight without it :P
Yes you did. It's extremely obvious when they used the theme, you won't miss it. Although it can be rather short as well.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

So not the full theme then, even at the end? When I say full theme I mean this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wt6XlVob_E

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

mr friendly guy wrote:So not the full theme then, even at the end? When I say full theme I mean this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wt6XlVob_E
Ya that'd better have shown up somewhere, no 10 second motif. Half the reason why I tuned into the show was just to hear the theme song.

I'll forgive them if they didn't include the:
"AHHHHHH! After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!"
"Alpha, Rita has escaped! Recruit a team of teenagers with attitude!"

...but only just. Still remember that after 20+ years :P