Where can I find better anime?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Q99
Jedi Master

Re: Where can I find better anime?

Postby Q99 » 2017-06-02 06:11am

Yea, it's not a parody, RomComs with lots of humor are a big chunk of 'em. There's also some serious drama ones (like 'girl ends up in fantasy world courted by several boys, but dangers afoot and they must protect her), but they've existed side by side forever.

Hana Yori Dango / Boys Over Flowers for example was a strong influence on Ouran, since it's about a working class girl at a rich school who clashes with/gets involved with the 'Flower Four,' the most elite boys in the school.

Come to think of it, there's some parody elements in Ouran, especially in the character of Renge who will occasionally start making assumptions on the stereotypical genre thing to be the case (i.e. assuming that the student council president would be a super elite guy who clashes with the main characters).

Hm, here's a good older series that came to mind when thinking of fantasy ones: The Vision of Escaflowne. A girl with a gift for fortune telling, Hitomi, gets sucked into another world with skyships and mecha (surprisingly low-tech ones that use swords, and are powered by the hearts of dragons). There she meets Van, heir to a kingdom that's being invaded, and Allen, a knight that strongly resembles her highschool crush. It's... a seriously solid fantasy series, and is considered to be a crossover series between shojo and shonen (for girls and for guys).

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Postby TheFeniX » 2017-06-02 02:43pm

I own the entirety of Escaflowne on DVD. Seen it. That said, having problems actually remembering large swaths of it, so it could be worth a rewatch. But the traditional anime stuff is kind of killing me at this point: I've seen it all aside from specific genres, it all starts to blend in.* I started in on Kuro Mukuro and this shit is a "paint by numbers" textbook on anime cliches. If I was 14 or something, I'd probably like it a lot more.

I don't hate it, but I'm specifically continuing to watch it without spoilering anything for myself to see just how high an average I can bat with me saying "I fucking CALLED IT." Right now, it's 100 and I'm not impressed with myself for being so clever.

Meanwhile, even Kill la Kill was able to throw me for a couple loops. Probably due to LSD induced writer insanity.

*Thematically and even concerning multiple plot lines, Sailor Moon and Power Rangers are the exact same show. One just has more kung-fu fights and one has more girls in short skirts. Yet, Sailor Moon is arguably a lot less sexist.

Q99
Jedi Master

Postby Q99 » 2017-06-02 07:27pm

Sailor Moon is magic girl + Sentai, yea.

And there is a lot of formulaic anime out there, to be sure.

Oh, hey, have you seen 'Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya'? Unrelated to the Ouran Haruhi of course, but the first season especially is pretty great IMO.

It's about a girl who's big into aliens, ESP, and time travelers and wants them to be real, but doesn't know that among her classmates are one of each. The main character (not her) is a sarcastic guy, and it's a pretty good slice of life / character piece.

ray245
Sith Acolyte

Postby ray245 » 2017-06-03 02:58am

You might want to take a look at RE: Creators.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.

Q99
Jedi Master

Postby Q99 » 2017-06-03 09:39am

Q99 wrote:Oh, hey, have you seen 'Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya'? Unrelated to the Ouran Haruhi of course, but the first season especially is pretty great IMO.

It's about a girl who's big into aliens, ESP, and time travelers and wants them to be real, but doesn't know that among her classmates are one of each. The main character (not her) is a sarcastic guy, and it's a pretty good slice of life / character piece.

And I forgot to mention- Haruhi Suzumiya is literally god, doesn't know it, and the reason the alien/esper/time traveler are around her is to prevent her from growing bored and reseting reality which may have happened at least once before.

It's a pretty down-to-earth slice of life.

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Postby Dominus Atheos » 2017-06-03 09:00pm

Spoilers from books: no she isn't.

Spoiler
Kyon is, and Haruhi is actually the second pseudo-demigod he's accidentally made.
Anonymous facebooker on the "Snowmageddon" February 2010 DC snowstorm: