Where can I find better anime?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Re: Where can I find better anime?

Post by Dominus Atheos »

TheFeniX wrote:
Dominus Atheos wrote:The only other anime on netflix I would recommend is "The devil is a part timer". All the other ones up your alley have been mentioned.
Hehe.... oh man, yea. That was a good call. I like this show, but am now pissed off there's only one season. There's a way to to a dub and I feel this is it. You reach a point sometimes where an actor is just reading lines and a lot of this might be due to poor translation dialog. This show did not have that problem. Emi Yusa's voice actress was a stand-out in this, for numerous reasons.
Did you binge-watch it in a day?
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

TheFeniX wrote:Netflix only has the show up until the end of the Soul Arc. Was pretty solid though Rukia being relegated to "Please save me Ichigo-san!" was pretty jarring and the side-crew being DBZed into complete uselessness was as well, though they did much less in the first arc either way.
Oh, not a bad place to stop. Though the anime does have some bonus fun bits of Soul Society characters that the manga lacks...
Still, all around a pretty good show though way to heavy on exposition. Though when it's "on," I have a really hard time thinking of a better show.
Yea, it *really* nailed things with the Soul Society arc. The next arc has.... some moments like that. Past a certain point, nah. And the 'nah, stop here,' line isn't really at the point of any major resolutions, unlike here.

And, an example of wasted potential from later stuff- Spoiler
The second vice-captain in that clip? He's retconned to have a Bankai. He never uses it and it has no effect on anything. Nor does he have any character moments in between this fight and that reveal.
Anyways, I don't think there was a scene concerning Kenpachi that wasn't stellar. Cutting short his fight wife Fox Man and Blind Dude was a travesty. I would watch a show that was just him beating fools down while mocking them ruthlessly until the end of time.
'
Yea, Kenpachi was great :)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

TheFeniX wrote: Anyways, I don't think there was a scene concerning Kenpachi that wasn't stellar. Cutting short his fight wife Fox Man and Blind Dude was a travesty. I would watch a show that was just him beating fools down while mocking them ruthlessly until the end of time.
Kenpachi gets better treatment in the later arcs. I highly recommend tracking down fansubs if you don't feel like waiting for Netflix to put up the rest of it. Also if you want more stuff like Bleach, I'd highly recommend tracking down Yu Yu Hakusho.

Edit: Which is apparently on Hulu.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

General Zod wrote: Kenpachi gets better treatment in the later arcs. I highly recommend tracking down fansubs if you don't feel like waiting for Netflix to put up the rest of it. Also if you want more stuff like Bleach, I'd highly recommend tracking down Yu Yu Hakusho.

Edit: Which is apparently on Hulu.
I'd almost say it's worth skipping to the Kenpachi fights ^^

And yea, Yu Yu Hakusho! It's the precursor to Bleach in a lot of ways, and also really bailed Shounen Jump out. After Dragonball Z was done they had a major slump of big series til it stepped up. In a lot of ways, it showed the Dragonball shounen fight formula wasn't just a fluke and opened the path for all that came later. I'd say it's in the top 3 most influential shounen fight series of all time (rounding out the top 3 would be Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, which is something else).
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Parasyte.

It is so good that even the cliches (schoolguy gets super-abilities) get completely turned on their head.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

TheFeniX wrote:
Vendetta wrote:Basically just stylistic choice on the names (or eg. Mumen Rider is a parody of Kamen Rider, where the Japanese title always used the english word). Though there are quite a lot of loan words from English in Japanese, and young people use it a fair bit colloquially, so hearing odd recognisable words isn't unexpected.
I had noticed this had become more prevalent in newer anime where, at least I would figure, there'd be a lot more English influence due to them Interwebs and the kids growing up living on it.
I think the trend started originally with pop music, so it's always been a bit of a young people thing.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Dominus Atheos wrote:Did you binge-watch it in a day?
I actually started it Saturday before your recommendation as a "blow off" because, due to multiple factors, my projects for the weekend got put on hold. Finished up Sunday night. Yea, yea, I get it's hypocritical to complain about having nothing to watch when I pound through what I do watch, but I honestly didn't think I'd like this show as much as I did. I generally don't binge watch anymore. Bleach would have lasted me a long time if my wife didn't snore so damned loud.
Q99 wrote:Oh, not a bad place to stop. Though the anime does have some bonus fun bits of Soul Society characters that the manga lacks...
I spoiled myself and watched the Aizon fight. Or whoever: the dude with the glasses you KNOW is evil from the first 3 seconds you see him during the Soul Arc.

I don't know when, but this show seems to at some point go full DBZ. I know it's about Ichigo, but I feel DBZ being all about Goku (among other things) was a huge minus to the series. Relegating good characters to the background to only show up and support the hero when they're needed doesn't really do much for me these days. The whole "buddy cop" vibe between Ichi and Rukia in season 1 was a big part of why I liked the show. Sure, she's teaching him things, but it's apparent from the very beginning she is not some kind of badass and seems to mostly fail her way through things by just going with the flow.

More importantly, she was a big part of the story in multiple ways even if she wasn't able to accomplish much physically due to plot contrivance. The Manga release bullshit aside, that's REALLY what killed DBZ for me. When everyone shows up just to get their ass kicked then give exposition... lame.

This is why I loved DBZ abgridged: "Yea... I'm just going to wait for Goku."
General Zod wrote:Kenpachi gets better treatment in the later arcs. I highly recommend tracking down fansubs if you don't feel like waiting for Netflix to put up the rest of it. Also if you want more stuff like Bleach, I'd highly recommend tracking down Yu Yu Hakusho.
Aw man, but his English VA is so much of why I like him. Swapping to Japanese kills a lot of it for me.

And it works in reverse. I like Ichigo's English VA, but there's parts where I find the gravity (I guess) is lost due to poor translation leading to a dialog dump. Ok, here's an example: when he reaches his limit and Byakuya is about to kill him. He's panicked but also... introspective? "I can't move my X. Am I really about to die? Did I come this far <more cliched dialog delivered at gunpoint>."

The Japanese VA is like: "move.... MOVE.... MOVEMOVEMOVEMOVEMOVEMOVE MOVE!

Much like this adds to the desperation of Ichigo, Lodge brings a level of menace and arrogance to Kenpachi I find lacking in Japanese. Not to say Ichigo's VA is bad, he's actually really good. It's just easy to find faults in the translation since he gets the lion's share of dialog. I do think his arrogance is much better portrayed in English, but that could be because I don't know Japanese.

Lodge really is amazing though. He's literally the only person IMO who can scream "FOR THE HORDE!" and not sound like a total d-bag doing so. That's some next-level shit.
K. A. Pital wrote:Parasyte.

It is so good that even the cliches (schoolguy gets super-abilities) get completely turned on their head.
I'll keep an eye out.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Eh. I started watching Bleach when subs were your only option. I really can't stand the English voice actors because everything is off compared to what I'm used to, and I really like Kenpachi's Japanese actor.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Bad news about David Lodge Kenpachi: About midway through the Renegade Zanpakuto arc (or whatever the hell it was called) they recast him.

Though Kenpachi really is one of the most fun characters the show has. Motherfucker gets excited by getting stabbed all to hell.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

TheFeniX wrote:I spoiled myself and watched the Aizon fight. Or whoever: the dude with the glasses you KNOW is evil from the first 3 seconds you see him during the Soul Arc.
Honestly I didn't realize that until The Reveal ^^
I don't know when, but this show seems to at some point go full DBZ. I know it's about Ichigo, but I feel DBZ being all about Goku (among other things) was a huge minus to the series. Relegating good characters to the background to only show up and support the hero when they're needed doesn't really do much for me these days. The whole "buddy cop" vibe between Ichi and Rukia in season 1 was a big part of why I liked the show. Sure, she's teaching him things, but it's apparent from the very beginning she is not some kind of badass and seems to mostly fail her way through things by just going with the flow.
Yea, it does become the Ichigo show ala DBZ was the Goku show... but that's not the only way.

You know how seeing someone's sword abilities get revealed is a real fun factor in the fights? And only Kenpachi gets to be an exception in that? Well, said bad.... never releases his bankai, instead going for more big-blasty powers.

Ever. Like, it's not just that he doesn't use it in that fight, the series is over, and we don't know. He becomes a butterfly with entirely straightforward powers. Big blasty takes precedence, and the cool hax powers become both more random and less important with time. That's how a lot of later fights go, villain starts with hax and then jumps to 'I have more reiatsu.'

Also sorta like DBZ, it establishes sufficient power lets you no-sell hax and clever abilities... sigh.

More importantly, she was a big part of the story in multiple ways even if she wasn't able to accomplish much physically due to plot contrivance.
Also, Orihime pretty much sidelines her as female lead too, not that Orihime gets to do much either. Her hax power doesn't come to much.

Though kinda like jumping forward to Kenpachi fights is recommended, likewise when Rukia does have a fight, it's still really cool, and also worth reading if you just want to jump around to random snippets.
The Manga release bullshit aside, that's REALLY what killed DBZ for me. When everyone shows up just to get their ass kicked then give exposition... lame.

Sidenote, Dragonball Super starts to get away from this starting with the Universe 6 arc. One of the arcs has a non-Goku beat the big bad, and the current arc looks to be setting up Gohan again. The current arc also is a team tournament- and not a 1v1 type, but "every team member is on the field at the same time working as a group against enemy teams," type. The setup is emphasizing how a lot of the cast is better suited for that than Goku, and Krillin gets to look really cool in his sparing match (he invented a better version of solar flare that both can't be stopped by closing your eyes, and hides his ki too).
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

General Zod wrote:Eh. I started watching Bleach when subs were your only option. I really can't stand the English voice actors because everything is off compared to what I'm used to, and I really like Kenpachi's Japanese actor.
I understand where you're coming from there. Even Lodge loses it every once in a while during his fight with Ichigo. And Kenpachi's Japanese VA is quite good. But... it's like if you asked "what language do you prefer? Laura Bailey does the....."

ENGLISH PLEASE.
Napoleon the Clown wrote:Bad news about David Lodge Kenpachi: About midway through the Renegade Zanpakuto arc (or whatever the hell it was called) they recast him.
Yeesh, maybe I will look into fansubs.
Q99 wrote:Honestly I didn't realize that until The Reveal ^^
10 year-old SPOILERS

Nah. He's too nice to fit into the Soul Reaper group. Gotta be evil. And maybe the English dub gave too much away, but they hung way to many rifles WRT that whole plotline. When super-awesome healer Reaper goes into detail that she was 100000% sure this wasn't a trick and that was his dead body, that just sealed it. They'd have been better not saying anything about it other than "He's dead, Jim."

The only question was "how'd he do it?" Well, also "why is he doing all this?" Now those reveals were cool and pretty terrifying at the same time. And if your sword is going to have an ability, that's a good one to have. Caught me completely by surprise. I had figured old-man Badass was in on it as well which would have explained a whole lot. Turns out he's just really a stickler for formality and kind of a dick.
Also, Orihime pretty much sidelines her as female lead too, not that Orihime gets to do much either. Her hax power doesn't come to much.

Though kinda like jumping forward to Kenpachi fights is recommended, likewise when Rukia does have a fight, it's still really cool, and also worth reading if you just want to jump around to random snippets.
Well, Orihime is pretty useless as are a lot of the other sidekicks. And not just because of combat. Orihime in particular persists to worry about Ichigo. Which is fine, whatever: so does Rukia in S1. But Rukia is also proactive and reactive in her own plotlines. She has her own motivations, she challenges Ichigo. She beats him up. She also makes him look at picture of bunnies.

There's more to the show than the fights. Season 1 had that. The Soul Arc, as good as it was, started the move away from that into <filler><fight><filler>. The thing is, season 1's filler was fun. Same thing with One Punch Man or even Devil is a Part Timer. In fact, the filler IS the show and it's good. Going back, Robotech/Macross had shittons of "filler" and that show was awesome. So many shows have really good filler that may not be directly important to guys getting punched/blown-up, but are important for me to give a fuck about the characters.

The Soul Arc filler seems more like an excuse to info dump on the viewer. Even when S1 was doing that, the info dumps were fun. DBZ felt the same way: fast-forward until you get to the fights. Honestly, I feel at times the Abridged guys turned DBZ into what it should have been in the first-place: a comedy show that got serious in short sprints.

But honestly, what the Hell do I know: DBZ was incredibly popular.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

TheFeniX wrote: Nah. He's too nice to fit into the Soul Reaper group. Gotta be evil.
Ironically the vast majority of them ended up pretty nice by later arcs.

There's more to the show than the fights. Season 1 had that. The Soul Arc, as good as it was, started the move away from that into <filler><fight><filler>. The thing is, season 1's filler was fun. Same thing with One Punch Man or even Devil is a Part Timer. In fact, the filler IS the show and it's good. Going back, Robotech/Macross had shittons of "filler" and that show was awesome. So many shows have really good filler that may not be directly important to guys getting punched/blown-up, but are important for me to give a fuck about the characters.

The Soul Arc filler seems more like an excuse to info dump on the viewer. Even when S1 was doing that, the info dumps were fun.
Agreed. Which probably does tie into when it fell apart. The early arrancar/vizard arc was fine, it had that filler stuff and seemed to be building to something. Hueco Mundo? Not even as much as the Soul arc, and then Fake Town, none. The Fullbring arc just kinda had a weak premise in general, and the final arc, again, very little.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Backtracking to the subject of Gundam for a bit: The GundamInfo YouTube channel has Build Fighters, the HD remaster of SEED, Iron-Blooded Orphans, and Unicorn RE:0096 in their entirety. If you really need an English dub, Unicorn RE:0096 and the first season of Iron-Blooded Orphans have dubs (both of which feature a lot of actors who were also in Bleach, incidentally).

As for other series that haven't been brought up yet: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. It ended a run on Adult Swim recently, but it should be also on Hulu and Netflix. English dub is hilarious, but it's just as good in the original Japanese.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote: As for other series that haven't been brought up yet: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. It ended a run on Adult Swim recently, but it should be also on Hulu and Netflix. English dub is hilarious, but it's just as good in the original Japanese.
Which btw, is split up into three parts (or more in the manga, but that's the anime), each a different member of the Jostar family (with different names that start with 'Jo').

Part three is overall the most famous and popular due to the introduction of the creative 'Stand' concept, but part two is my favorite.

It's a weird series with interesting character designs and lots of posing!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Ok so, most of my last few weeks have been preparing for my Security+ exam that I studied my ass off for, then found out the test asks like... .nothing about what all the prep tells you to cram for. I passed easily, but probably only because I already knew 99% of all the shit they ask you questions on. I probably could have just walked in and passed, the test prep was that bad.
Q99 wrote:Ironically the vast majority of them ended up pretty nice by later arcs.
Most of them were just dicks, especially the ones with ties to other Reapers. But them going planned Vegeta's wasn't exactly a stretch. If they ever explained it, I would assume it's hundreds of years of boredom combined with thousands of years of tradition. So, Ichigo being the type of catalyst he is gave them the kick in the nuts they needed.

JoJo was an anime I heard good things about, I need to look into it. It sounds like something I'd be into.

Sword Art Online I've got to get more episodes into. The first was such a standard exposition dump affair I about fell asleep. There's so many better ways to start a show and this one skipped them all.

For my own "I dug this up on Netflix in the little bit of spare time I had:"

Nura: Demon Whatever: Yokia Clan gets a flat "what" and "Am I watching Inuyasha again somehow?" I watched a few more episodes than I should have because it's hard to tell if this show is good or bad. Which means it's probably just mediocre.

Samurai Flamenco was weird, absurd, and fun. Then it went all Power Rangers which was this huge genre jump I could not get into. I would rather see more shenanigans with Mari living in Goto's closet than "random characters and how will Masayoshi lead them?" Also, what is it with Japanese women hiding in men's closets?

Gargantia has some really solid animation. It gets rough during the full CGI scenes, but I wish more shows were animated this well. Story's kind of "meh" but I like the characters.

Semi-related: BoJack Horsemen gets dark.

Honestly broken at this point. I'm watching shows, not just anime, and I just don't give two fucks about most fight scenes or "plots." I'd rather see some people just dicking around cracking jokes or getting through life, no matter the setting. Like a new Seinfeld that gets serious in short sprints.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

TheFeniX wrote: Nura: Demon Whatever: Yokia Clan gets a flat "what" and "Am I watching Inuyasha again somehow?" I watched a few more episodes than I should have because it's hard to tell if this show is good or bad. Which means it's probably just mediocre.
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan? I liked it the manga, but I am a big fan of yokai in general. The early stuff is a bit repetitive but it grows out of that and becomes more about war between yokai groups.

For Japanese spirit stuff, Kekkaishi is best, though.

Most of them were just dicks, especially the ones with ties to other Reapers. But them going planned Vegeta's wasn't exactly a stretch. If they ever explained it, I would assume it's hundreds of years of boredom combined with thousands of years of tradition. So, Ichigo being the type of catalyst he is gave them the kick in the nuts they needed.
The quickness of it, going from being willingness to execute Rukia to being mostly nice people with modern-esque moral compasses, kinda made it seem like they were just waiting to jump on the good train. It would've been interesting if more of them kept their more archaic mindsets IMO, and make sense since many are hundreds to thousands of years old. Sure it makes sense for, say, Renji and Toshiro to adapt pretty well, they probably had 1920s morality when they died and spend a lot of time patrolling the living world (*unlike* the captains), but some of these people were born with 1000s morality and have lived in archaic cultures their entire lives- and Soul Society is still feudal Japan in culture!

Also another thing that bugs me is it seems like at some point the series forgets Hollows eat human souls ^^;; Later on there's healing of some out of general mercy/good sportsmanship... and I'm like, "Heeey, are you forgetting your job is to literally purify the trapped souls within them and they will eat more souls because they have to because that hollow in them isn't just for show it's a literal spiritual void that cannot be filled?".
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I'd highly recommend checking out Fate/zero. (It's on Netflix.) If only for the Ryuunosuke/Caster bromance. :v

https://youtu.be/__OAU2aCZ4M
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

TheFeniX wrote: Sword Art Online I've got to get more episodes into. The first was such a standard exposition dump affair I about fell asleep. There's so many better ways to start a show and this one skipped them all.
If your intent is to avoid cringy anime bullshit, don't bother. SAO is peak cringe.

In fact, if you see the words "trapped in a videogame" at any point in an anime's plot synopsis, walk on. They're all shit.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Q99 wrote:Also another thing that bugs me is it seems like at some point the series forgets Hollows eat human souls ^^;; Later on there's healing of some out of general mercy/good sportsmanship... and I'm like, "Heeey, are you forgetting your job is to literally purify the trapped souls within them and they will eat more souls because they have to because that hollow in them isn't just for show it's a literal spiritual void that cannot be filled?".
Yea, I don't think internal consistency was really their big hold-out.
General Zod wrote:I'd highly recommend checking out Fate/zero. (It's on Netflix.) If only for the Ryuunosuke/Caster bromance. :v
I've got most of it ready to go, but I'm holding off because it looks all serious bizness. The last season of Bojack, while great, kind of bummed me out.
Vendetta wrote:If your intent is to avoid cringy anime bullshit, don't bother. SAO is peak cringe.
Meh, I already kicked it to the back of my list. Guess I'll just keep it there.

My gaming buddy has been listening to me rant and he's all "watch Fairytale, you'll like it." "Isn't that like chock full of anime bullshit?" "Just shut up and watch it, you'll like Natsu and try not to fall in love with Erza."

This show is moronic, but it delivers in some hilarious parts to me because it's just so over-the-top. Honestly, he was right on the money about Natsu. It's like:

"Imma fire mage!"
"So, what fuels your power?"
RAGE!

I wish I could get paid money to just yell corny (yet awesome) shit into a microphone.

And Erza. Only complaint is the "Japanese badass girl has to be rail thin if young."
Her power is just as hilariously awesome.
"I summon weapons and armor."
"So, you're a knight?"
"No."

I cast FIST, which is funny even though the series actually DOES have a Muscle Wizard.

Show's dumb as hammers, but incredibly fun. It makes me a hypocrite because I have given other shows shit for it, but the idiot fanservice is just too easy to ignore on this show, possibly because it's just so damn prevalent. I'm too busy laughing at Erza's armor "upgrades" fanservice to get mad about it. Probably helps considering her voice actor and how seriously she is portrayed compared to everyone else. Also Happy's VA being Chiho.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I'd say Fate is about on par with Bleach but not as dark as Bojack.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

If you want something just completely ridiculous but self aware that it's absurd go watch Panty and Stocking. I won't spoil it here.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

TheFeniX wrote: My gaming buddy has been listening to me rant and he's all "watch Fairytale, you'll like it." "Isn't that like chock full of anime bullshit?" "Just shut up and watch it, you'll like Natsu and try not to fall in love with Erza."

This show is moronic, but it delivers in some hilarious parts to me because it's just so over-the-top. Honestly, he was right on the money about Natsu. It's like:

"Imma fire mage!"
"So, what fuels your power?"
RAGE!

I wish I could get paid money to just yell corny (yet awesome) shit into a microphone.
I honestly really like Fairy Tail ^^ Sure, it's formulaic and straightforward, and trusting in your friends always wins, but it consistently sells to me that the characters are fired up about things, Erza is awesome, they actually use real teamwork in fights surprisingly often (one great battle had a 5-on-1 with a ton of combo moves, covering for each other, boosting each other into attacks, etc.. Sure, 1v1s are most common, but there's more genuine teamups than most shonen fight), and there's some great moments in there.

It not only passed Bleach as a favorite (of course), but One Piece as well, pretty solidly.

And Erza. Only complaint is the "Japanese badass girl has to be rail thin if young."
Her power is just as hilariously awesome.
"I summon weapons and armor."
"So, you're a knight?"
"No."

I cast FIST, which is funny even though the series actually DOES have a Muscle Wizard.
The name they use for 'wizards' in Fairy Tail literally translates as something like 'Magic Fighter' or one who studies the way of magic (in a martial arts context). Which is pretty fitting, you gotta admit ^^

Lucy's kinda the odd one out for being something resembling a traditional mage with her summons!
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Btw, speaking of very anime-esque series, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is a cutesy style anime that's pretty fun and if you want to try just a cute fluffy show, it's a good one. Japanese worker has a dragon crash at her place/become a maid. Other dragons show up. Pretty much entirely character humor.

Also, for fanservice 'harem' series, Monster Musume is one a lot of people actually like. Because, one, it comes coupled with a lot of worldbuilding in a setting where the existence of monster people (or 'liminals') just became public (and by 'just' I mean the laws they made in response to it were rushed through and thus crap, and undergoing revision as things go on), and two, the characters are interesting and generally likable. Like, they have a lot more going for them than just circling each other in 'will-they-won't-they' fashion and are capable of talking out miscommunications and learning for mistakes and having self-awareness about relationships. And Agent Smith-san is just fun.

Probably not genres the original poster is interesting in looking at, but just saying, if you are, there's where to look.
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

TheFeniX wrote:
Vendetta wrote:If your intent is to avoid cringy anime bullshit, don't bother. SAO is peak cringe.
Meh, I already kicked it to the back of my list. Guess I'll just keep it there.
A wise move. SAO starts off bad and then gets worse to the point that even it's own fanbase started going "WTF?"

For example, the main female character spends the entire second arc getting molested by the main bad guy of the arc. To add to that, she briefly gets free and then gets captured by a tentacle monster so it can molest her and come close to outright raping her.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

General Zod wrote:If you want something just completely ridiculous but self aware that it's absurd go watch Panty and Stocking. I won't spoil it here.
You haven't steered me wrong yet, so I'll dig around for it.
Q99 wrote:The name they use for 'wizards' in Fairy Tail literally translates as something like 'Magic Fighter' or one who studies the way of magic (in a martial arts context). Which is pretty fitting, you gotta admit ^^
This was one of the reasons, while "magic" and not MAGIC!, I enjoyed Full Metal Alchemist in sprints. Going further back: Shadowrun. Though my memory and experience could always be limited, the Japanese were really the first to take the Fantasy genre away from the standard "weak wizard" DnD affair that even LOTR didn't subscribe too.

And they also made Paladins not suck, for more than a few reasons. But for me in particular was taking the power away from deities and focusing the "faith" more on your abilities and training. But it's still fairly standard magic they wield vs those in DnD. Same with Priests.

To be fair, Dragon Warrior was always more popular in Japan and even the more traditional Final Fantasy series didn't take too long to start in on the Magitek Knights.

But I've also always been a fan of the Anger Knight, most notably in Warcraft. In a world of dimension destroying magic, what does the average soldier have to compete? Holy magic from the Gods? The Arcane? The Fel, magic of demons? The Earthmother? The Shadows? No.

RAGE
Bernkastel wrote:For example, the main female character spends the entire second arc getting molested by the main bad guy of the arc. To add to that, she briefly gets free and then gets captured by a tentacle monster so it can molest her and come close to outright raping her.
It gets harder to be mad about sexism or Japanese bondage and perversion cliches. I get more mad about just having useless characters taking up screentime for cheap emotional gets.

Still, I can't NOT steal this joke: "Please, my penis can only get so erect."