Netflix- Marvel's Iron Fist *potential spoilers*

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Netflix- Marvel's Iron Fist *potential spoilers*

Post by Broomstick »

Fight scenes in Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage all looked better to me. I'm only two episodes in, but so far I'm not sold on the martial arts scenes.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I may be in the minority but I seem to enjoy Iron Fist. True, it looks drawn out but it has been enjoyable. Mind you I haven't seen any of the other series yet but I will once I'm done with this one.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Enigma wrote:I may be in the minority but I seem to enjoy Iron Fist. True, it looks drawn out but it has been enjoyable. Mind you I haven't seen any of the other series yet but I will once I'm done with this one.
You may be in the minority but I am with you. And that's after watching all of them. I have even no hobbyist way to judge the fighting so I just sit back and enjoy and shrug while taking the word of reviews. All I know is its decently close with no Bourne Suprmacy shaky-cam.

My one complaint is he's got a few too many foils during the season, whatever they turn into in the end.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Broomstick wrote:Fight scenes in Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage all looked better to me. I'm only two episodes in, but so far I'm not sold on the martial arts scenes.
Hence the value of the masked superhero; it's easier to hire a kung fu guy and put him under the mask.

At least with Luke Cage it's not like he's a great martial artist, so the camera can always be close and it's clearly Mike Colter taking bullets and punching people.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Enigma wrote:I may be in the minority but I seem to enjoy Iron Fist. True, it looks drawn out but it has been enjoyable. Mind you I haven't seen any of the other series yet but I will once I'm done with this one.
The difference in quality is pretty huge. You should really check out the others, starting with DD.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I finished the show over the weekend. Not being familiar with the source material, I'm looking at the show itself, and it's rather dry. The premise is guy returns back to civilization after being gone for 15 years, and tries to take back his company. Like a more mystical Green Arrow or Batman.

Here's what is lacking.
A, we don't see the mystical city he's in, or what he experienced, except for about 5 minutes of flashbacks in total(throughout 13 hours of a season). This means we don't really have a basis for comparison of what is normal for Danny Rand. This also means that the audience is getting a lot of tell, and not much, if any, show. It's hard to find a location's fate compelling when we never see it, or any characters from it.

B. Danny Rand, as a character, doesn't make sense. We have someone who spent the majority of their life in a monastery, and missed things like aliens are real, the Earth has been invaded, SHIELD and HYDRA had a war for years, etc. Danny Rand has no reaction to any of these events, even though that should be huge culture shock. He also doesn't have the personality of a zen monk, full of peace. Either make it part of Danny's character that he never fit in at the monastery because of how different he was, and execute it well, or make Danny more affected by almost two decades of monastery life. This also makes Danny's abandoning of his responsibilities to come to New York hard to connect to, because it seems like Danny doesn't really care, so why should we?

For a good example, Danny notes in one episode that he took a vow of chastity, two episodes later, he is having sex with his love interest. I guess some vows just don't matter, huh?

C. Everyone else goes nowhere with their plot. The show can't seem to decide who the main villain is, so it switches it out every few episodes. Luke Cage made the same mistake, but it at least tried to make the second villain more of a driving force for the entire back half of the season. Iron Fist plays musical chairs with who is in the antagonist seat, and it makes you apathetic about it. The other characters also shift focus in their goals constantly. Do the business Wonder twins want to be Danny's friend, or do they want him to go away? Does Colleen want to support her dojo financially by fighting, or is it something that is dropped instantly? This inconsistency makes us apathetic about what's happening to them.

When one character is shot in a later episode, I didn't really care if that person died, because they changed personality so much that I didn't know who they really were.

Aside from that, Claire Temple, Jeri Hogarth, and Madame Gao are all excellent, but then, they've been in previous works, so we can draw more of a connection to them.

If I were writing the show? I would have had the first season be entirely about Danny in the monastery, and him growing up there. Let us see the person he became, from 1990s kid, to martial artist monk, to the Iron Fist. That way, we grow up with him, and see how he became who he was. It also allows you to focus most of your budget on the monastery set, so that it can be gorgeous for the duration of the season, instead of showing a mountain pass set or a small room.

Then, by the season finale, have Danny Rand make the choice on going home, and we feel that as well, because we will have as much a connection to the monastery as he should.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I don't think you'd need to spend an entire season focusing on Kun Lun, but three or four episodes would have been nice to build a better foundation. Instead it looks more like a really naive and clueless version of Bruce Wayne from Batman Begins.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

General Zod wrote:I don't think you'd need to spend an entire season focusing on Kun Lun, but three or four episodes would have been nice to build a better foundation. Instead it looks more like a really naive and clueless version of Bruce Wayne from Batman Begins.
I could see that working, and it would give us a better depth with Danny. As opposed to the 'college boy who visited Asia for a semester' vibe that seems everyone gets from him.

On another note, I kept on waiting for it to be revealed that Danny was delusional about the hidden monastery, because the early episodes frame it that it is all in his head. It would have also been an interesting way to take things, akin to the reveal about what the Mandarin really was in Iron Man 3. Dropping this thread and having the initial few episodes take place in Kun Lun would have been better.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

FaxModem1 wrote:
General Zod wrote:I don't think you'd need to spend an entire season focusing on Kun Lun, but three or four episodes would have been nice to build a better foundation. Instead it looks more like a really naive and clueless version of Bruce Wayne from Batman Begins.
I could see that working, and it would give us a better depth with Danny. As opposed to the 'college boy who visited Asia for a semester' vibe that seems everyone gets from him.

On another note, I kept on waiting for it to be revealed that Danny was delusional about the hidden monastery, because the early episodes frame it that it is all in his head. It would have also been an interesting way to take things, akin to the reveal about what the Mandarin really was in Iron Man 3. Dropping this thread and having the initial few episodes take place in Kun Lun would have been better.
I don't think you can push the whole insane thing too far without going into Legion territory. Honestly I would've preferred a far less jittery Danny Rand because he really doesn't project the image that he's a master of anything.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

FaxModem1 wrote:I finished the show over the weekend. Not being familiar with the source material, I'm looking at the show itself, and it's rather dry. The premise is guy returns back to civilization after being gone for 15 years, and tries to take back his company. Like a more mystical Green Arrow or Batman.
^ Yep, this plot has been done. If it is done again it needs to have some sort of refreshing twist.
A, we don't see the mystical city he's in, or what he experienced, except for about 5 minutes of flashbacks in total(throughout 13 hours of a season). This means we don't really have a basis for comparison of what is normal for Danny Rand. This also means that the audience is getting a lot of tell, and not much, if any, show. It's hard to find a location's fate compelling when we never see it, or any characters from it.
Even if it's not shown, there are ways to show it - Danny doesn't seem to have much emotional reaction when he speaks of K'un L'un - think of how the Doctor tells Martha about Gallifrey at the end of "Gridlock" - starts at 1:20 - which is quite evocative of where he's from, why he left, and why he doesn't speak of it. Even if you've never seen a bit of Gallifrey the dialogue has meaning, it's showing as well as telling. But we don't have that in Iron Fist.
B. Danny Rand, as a character, doesn't make sense. We have someone who spent the majority of their life in a monastery, and missed things like aliens are real, the Earth has been invaded, SHIELD and HYDRA had a war for years, etc. Danny Rand has no reaction to any of these events, even though that should be huge culture shock.
What makes you think everyone in a monastery is ignorant of major world affairs? Yes, some are very isolated but others are well aware of what's going on in the world outside their walls. Of course, the assumption is that monks are not concerned with the world, but it's possible to show they aren't.
He also doesn't have the personality of a zen monk, full of peace. Either make it part of Danny's character that he never fit in at the monastery because of how different he was, and execute it well, or make Danny more affected by almost two decades of monastery life. This also makes Danny's abandoning of his responsibilities to come to New York hard to connect to, because it seems like Danny doesn't really care, so why should we?
The whole "Danny didn't fit in" is quite plausible, really, given he's be at the minimum a Caucasian in a monastery wholly or mostly Asian. And yeah, his personality doesn't seem very monkish. He would hardly be the first person to try that lifestyle then give it up.

But... we don't know the monks are zen monks, do we? Actually, Asian monasteries have quite the history of violence and connection to politics and warfare, especially in Tibet which is in the Himalayas where the Rands' plane went down. Having some backstory there might have made the series more interesting

The show isn't unwatchable, it's better than some of the other dreck on TV, but it suffers greatly in comparison to the other Marvel offerings.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Broomington, how far into the show are you?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Broomstick wrote:
Even if it's not shown, there are ways to show it - Danny doesn't seem to have much emotional reaction when he speaks of K'un L'un - think of how the Doctor tells Martha about Gallifrey at the end of "Gridlock" - starts at 1:20 - which is quite evocative of where he's from, why he left, and why he doesn't speak of it. Even if you've never seen a bit of Gallifrey the dialogue has meaning, it's showing as well as telling. But we don't have that in Iron Fist.
Good point. Danny doesn't seem fond of his home. Or he's a terrible storyteller when reminiscing about the good old days with his buddy Davos, take your pick.
B. Danny Rand, as a character, doesn't make sense. We have someone who spent the majority of their life in a monastery, and missed things like aliens are real, the Earth has been invaded, SHIELD and HYDRA had a war for years, etc. Danny Rand has no reaction to any of these events, even though that should be huge culture shock.
What makes you think everyone in a monastery is ignorant of major world affairs? Yes, some are very isolated but others are well aware of what's going on in the world outside their walls. Of course, the assumption is that monks are not concerned with the world, but it's possible to show they aren't.
SPOILERS Being stranded in an alternate dimension for 15 years at a time, with a limited window to connect to Earth for a small duration(I think about a year, but they are vague on the matter), kind of affects your ability to keep up with world events.
He also doesn't have the personality of a zen monk, full of peace. Either make it part of Danny's character that he never fit in at the monastery because of how different he was, and execute it well, or make Danny more affected by almost two decades of monastery life. This also makes Danny's abandoning of his responsibilities to come to New York hard to connect to, because it seems like Danny doesn't really care, so why should we?
The whole "Danny didn't fit in" is quite plausible, really, given he's be at the minimum a Caucasian in a monastery wholly or mostly Asian. And yeah, his personality doesn't seem very monkish. He would hardly be the first person to try that lifestyle then give it up.

But... we don't know the monks are zen monks, do we? Actually, Asian monasteries have quite the history of violence and connection to politics and warfare, especially in Tibet which is in the Himalayas where the Rands' plane went down. Having some backstory there might have made the series more interesting
Given Danny's propensity for rattling off koans about inner peace, as well as quoting Buddha, and dealing with his emotions, while also having it brought up that he was trained as a warrior, it's possible that it could be both. It's in the air on whether he was trained to always be a warrior, always be a monk, whether the monastery was full of peace and joy, or whether it's a cult making propaganda fed warriors.

It's why I wish they had actually shown us more of what life was like there. As it is, we only have garbled accounts from two characters, and what we get from them is contradictory.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Spoiler
I can only assume we'll see more of K'un L'un in the second series, or maybe Defenders. I guess now it'll be a lot of flashbacks.

Fuck Danny Rand. Davos is the most likeable person there, because at least he makes sense as a character. He worked his whole life to get the Iron Fist, and was gracious when Danny got it instead. Then Danny runs off without warning, leaving the place unguarded. Then for some reason the show seems to treat him as a bad guy when he gets annoyed at this. Hilariously it looks like he was right, because K'un L'un isn't there any more.

Aside from him, the best characters were the ones who visited from other series.

- George Carlin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

To Gandalf:
Spoiler
Was it stated that K'un L'un was destroyed, or was it that Danny has missed his window to reach it, while at the same time, The Hand had attacked when the doorway was open?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

FaxModem1 wrote:To Gandalf:
Spoiler
Was it stated that K'un L'un was destroyed, or was it that Danny has missed his window to reach it, while at the same time, The Hand had attacked when the doorway was open?
Spoiler
The impression I got was that the place was destroyed, or at least magically stolen. That's based on the dead Hand guys, the score, and the reaction of the actors. Evidently the Iron Fist went to the wrong guy.

Where's Doctor Strange when you need him? This seems right up his alley.

- George Carlin
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

General Zod wrote:
The difference in quality is pretty huge. You should really check out the others, starting with DD.
Thanks. Began watching DD and it is truly leagues above IF. Are all Netflix's Marvel shows have a "poured paint" scheme?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Enigma wrote:
General Zod wrote:
Thanks. Began watching DD and it is truly leagues above IF. Are all Netflix's Marvel shows have a "poured paint" scheme?
Well. The openings are all unique, but they try and stay pretty consistent. I'd argue Jessica Jones is the best of the lot.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I'm apparently one of the few who really liked Iron Fist, but I still consider it the weakest of the Netflix shows. And I can't say enough how happy I am that a character made a sex toy joke.

The openings don't have a "poured paint" theme so much as each has a dominant color, for fairly obvious reasons.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

This series irked me as a fan of the character.

Just as an example, it had a woman who looked like The Bride of Nine Spiders...but was about as faithful to that as GINO was to its source material.

Or worse.

The producers were obviously rushed, but they managed to read "Immortal Iron Fist" and utterly miss all the repairs it made to Danny's origins.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I haven't bothered to watch this one, but I found this hilarious enough to share it. The lead actor has been claiming that the problems with this show are because Trump's victory makes a rich hero less likable by association. Somehow I doubt Tony Stark will have this problem, because that character is actually likable to begin with.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Adam Reynolds wrote:I haven't bothered to watch this one, but I found this hilarious enough to share it. The lead actor has been claiming that the problems with this show are because Trump's victory makes a rich hero less likable by association. Somehow I doubt Tony Stark will have this problem, because that character is actually likable to begin with.
I guess nobody's told him about Green Arrow.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Adam Reynolds wrote:I haven't bothered to watch this one, but I found this hilarious enough to share it. The lead actor has been claiming that the problems with this show are because Trump's victory makes a rich hero less likable by association. Somehow I doubt Tony Stark will have this problem, because that character is actually likable to begin with.
Yeah, no. While people having been giving the show shit for having a rich white male lead its not because of Trump but because rich white male superheros are a dime a dozen and complaints Iron Fister isn't as "progressive" as the other series with a white actor doing asian shit and focusing on pretty white rich people problems.

And the fact rich white Danny Rand is unlikable isn't on Trump either, he just isn't very likable. He is bland, he comes of like a "zen" stoner bro quoting fortune cookie nonsense to sound deep. Any interesting character traits seemed to be downplayed or ejected like the fact he is supposed to be some martial arts super weapon or his problems with losing control that disappeared after I think the first episode. His backstory might be interesting, a bit like Oliver Queen where his time on the island was more interesting then Oliver dealing with his dickish friends and family, but the show told us little and showed us less.

No, even with the internet "SJW" brigade whining, even with Trump making rich white guys less cuddly, even with Tony Stark, Batman, Green Arrow, and Dr KHANNNNNNNN being rich white superheros (with Strange having Danny's mystical asian hand wavey shtick too) already on the scene, Danny Rand still could have been likable if he was written or acted to be but he wasn't. All those other people are likable despite having all the same problems. Tony Stark, drunken womanizing asshole who seems to cause more destruction then the super villains but is likable thanks to RDJ being born to play the role and solid writing to back him. Batman is a murderous douche who tries to kill a guy because Mark Suckerberg told him too but is still fairly likable because Ben Affleck acted and trained his ass off to get into the role to the point even with the shitty writing he was the best part of the movie he was in. Green Arrow kill fucked alot of people too, acted like a massive tool, and is a bit of a dick but thanks to Stephen Amell making the character have charisma and an interesting back story he is likable.

Danny Rand had an actor out of his league not being directed well and with nothing solid to work with. Thats why he isn't likable.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I didn't think much either way of Finn Jones' performance. I didn't dislike him, but I didn't think he did much that was interesting either. Colleen was a more interesting character, though, given her... connections in the story.

But I'm not sure how much of that was the writer and how much of that was the actor or even the director.

(My brother, OTOH, considers Iron Fist S1 to be the best of the Netflix seasons save Daredevil S1 and outright called it better/less boring than Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. Just to show the diversity of tastes that exists.)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Clearly your brother is an idiot.